Seen new Dune Movie? Your opinion??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goshenBogle

Seen new Dune Movie? Your opinion??

Post by goshenBogle »

I have read several reviews of the movie that rate it only so-so, not very good, which is disappointing since I am a BIG fan of the book.
Have you seen the new Dune movie?
If so, what is your opinion?
Retired and loving it!!!!
manatee2005

Re: Seen new Dune Movie? Your opinion??

Post by manatee2005 »

It’s horrible. Looks good but empty.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

2 friends saw it and loved it.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I have not made it through the book(s) ... yet... But I'm very familiar with the story and previous versions of the movie.
I very much enjoyed the movie, and think its a great cinematic experience to see in a theater with a large screen a booming audio.
If you want great dialogue, it's so-so, but as a cinematic experience with the picturesque scenes and audio... fantastic. I would have enjoyed watching it even if the dialogue wasn't in English (I might have enjoyed more from the mystery and letting me tell the story through the pictures.. some of the dialogue felt like it was trying to briefly jump through/explain story points they didn't have time for and was unnecessary and cheesy.. but perhaps that's only because I was already familiar with the story line)
Last edited by JoMoney on Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
cogito

Post by cogito »

Incredible, if you can appreciate movies big on visual poetry and gestalt, and light on plot. If you've liked any of director Denis Villeneuve's previous films, you'll like this one. See it on the big screen.
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

fear of mediocre dune movies is the box-office-sales killer
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

pseudoiterative wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:04 pm fear of mediocre dune movies is the box-office-sales killer
:thumbsup :-D
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path."
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Enjoyed it, mostly faithful adaptation of the first half of the book, cinematically impressive, good casting. People looking for a super deep experience should probably look elsewhere, it's a space opera.
Expro

Post by Expro »

arf30 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm it's a space opera.
Oh, if only there was singing!
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

There's a few more opinions on Dune in the "What Movie Have You Recently Watched?" thread: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=145914&start=7200
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

I found the book and original movie pretty poor. Not enthusiastic about the new one either.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

arf30 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm Enjoyed it, mostly faithful adaptation of the first half of the book, cinematically impressive, good casting.
I will agree with this, and you can take this as mild criticism. I give the film a B+ rating.

It is a solid faithful adaption but I usually look for something a bit different in a movie adaptation from the book. A new angle, a visual flourish, etc. I kind of like the David Lynch's 1984 adaptation better. It was a deeply flawed movie but it was audacious. It swung for the fences and took chances.

And I am not trying to dame the new Dune with faint praise. Adapting Dune is a tall order and the missteps it takes are small. It has a great visual feel to it. But there are few things in it that made me go "Wow". Maybe I am getting spoiled with so many good movies coming out.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Cinematography is amazing. If you are familiar with the book, this is a great visual complement. Incredible, even.

There’s no liberty taken with the story, so its basically the same movie as the 1984 lynch version, but better produced and less exposition/narration.

Movie does end abruptly though, so keeps people wanting the 2nd installment.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I watched it on HBO Max. I didn't like it compared to the older extended version. I was offended when they cut it off to setup a sequel. I personnally would like David Lynch to edit a 3rd version of his movie. Supposedly he shot a lot of footage. Too many movies today leave you to believe that a sequel is possible in the last act.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

arf30 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm Enjoyed it, mostly faithful adaptation of the first half of the book
This is irksome. He's not Peter Jackson so the 2nd half isn't guaranteed.
esqu1re

Post by esqu1re »

Game of thrones politics in space with Scario-like wide angle panning shots and Hans Zimmer music---what's not to like?

I think it's better suited for a limited series though. The movie was 2.5 hours. They're only like 1/2 through the first book and there are like 6 books. That means at least one more movie to finish the series! Math!
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Boring. Regret investing the time.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I enjoyed it. It is beautiful, slow at times but def worth seeing on the big screen, really hope they green light the part 2. Read some of the negative reviews at rt if you are on the fence about going to see it.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

mhalley wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:05 pm I enjoyed it. It is beautiful, slow at times but def worth seeing on the big screen, really hope they green light the part 2. Read some of the negative reviews at rt if you are on the fence about going to see it.
+1

It's awesome. See it in the theater.

There is a minority of negative comments about it being boring but over 90% positive reviews. I assume the boring comments have attention span issues.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

I've watched/read multiple iterations of Dune (original movie, TV series, book) and I guess this one is probably best? Being quite familiar with the plot and story beats, it felt more like a rewatch to me, but for a new audience, it is a pretty good story with some interesting characters/layers.
hunoraut wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:36 pm There’s no liberty taken with the story, so its basically the same movie as the 1984 lynch version, but better produced and less exposition/narration.
This is basically it. If you've seen another Dune version, you've seen Dune. But this one had more money and newer production tech.
Last edited by Noobvestor on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

It was a wonderful experience.

Saw it on my large 77” oled tv w surround sound w dolby vision and atmos. A large part of it is experiencing the aw of it all.

The story and pacing was wonderful.

I hated the original.
denovo

Post by denovo »

goshenBogle wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:45 pm I have read several reviews of the movie that rate it only so-so, not very good, which is disappointing since I am a BIG fan of the book.
Have you seen the new Dune movie?
If so, what is your opinion?
As someone who knew nothing about the story, never read any of the books or the prior film, it was confusing and plodding. At the same time the cinematography was nice.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

As a fan of the book, I loved it. It was exactly what it needed to be. Sure, I'd be happier if Part 2 were already in the can, but I'd put money on that happening.

My brother-in-law went to the theater with me, and had no background in the story. He also really enjoyed. I had warned him that it was half the story, so he was not caught off guard by the ending.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Will it be a trilogy or just two parts? There are more books, right?
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
drk

Post by drk »

nigel_ht wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:16 pm This is irksome. He's not Peter Jackson so the 2nd half isn't guaranteed.
That's funny. Villeneuve's resume is far stronger than Peter Jackson's when The Fellowship of the Ring premiered.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

lostdog wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:51 pm Will it be a trilogy or just two parts? There are more books, right?
Two-part movie covering the first Dune book. The books start with a trilogy that covers Paul Atreides (Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune), then more books beyond spanning a few thousands years or so, before Frank Herbert died. His son Brian Herbert then took over and wrote a bunch of (IMHO) terribly written sequels/prequels that I felt were nothing more than a money-grab.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

arf30 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm Enjoyed it, mostly faithful adaptation of the first half of the book, cinematically impressive, good casting. People looking for a super deep experience should probably look elsewhere, it's a space opera.
You probably couldn't put two words together that would make a story less appealing to me then "space" and "opera", "teenage" and "wizard" is close. I'm not letting my wife talk me into watching this one.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

I really enjoyed it. Caveat: I've only ever read the first book in a language that wasn't my primary language. But I really liked the book. It was a slow book, but still felt vast. The movie I thought had a similar feel; not a ton of lengthy dialogue/exchanges and a lot of cinematic shots showing chow big the landscape is. I really hope they produce the second half.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 pm
pseudoiterative wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:04 pm fear of mediocre dune movies is the box-office-sales killer
:thumbsup :-D
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path."
:sharebeer
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

crinkles2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:21 pm I found the book and original movie pretty poor. Not enthusiastic about the new one either.
I loved the book. Like the movie which was mediocre at best. But I knew the story line.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:19 pm
crinkles2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:21 pm I found the book and original movie pretty poor. Not enthusiastic about the new one either.
I loved the book. Like the movie which was mediocre at best. But I knew the story line.
A little slow. They needed to spice it up a bit. :D

Remember to tip the wait staff. I'll be here all week.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Sadly, I won’t be seeing it in the theatre. Too much Covid in my state. Maybe I will subscribe to hbomax for a month.
trizzle

Post by trizzle »

Total crap. Glad my hbo max sub covered this.
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

Saw it at home last night on the projector via HBO. As others wrote, recommend watching on a big screen ... stunning visuals and hauntingly beautiful score. Unlike the 1980s version, I could follow this one. About 2.5 hours but it's only "Part One", which makes sense given where the movie ends. Is the exposition a little slow? Maybe, but in the service of the rich visuals and effects, that was fine.

I never read any of the books, but friends report it is pretty faithful, FWIW. I just enjoyed it as its own thing.

My only complaint may be a Boomer thing: annoying actors who insist on whispering their lines (and sound mixers who refuse to compensate). Thank goodness for Roku's rewind-15-seconds-and-get-subtitles feature.
cdc

Post by cdc »

Meh. It’s half a movie.
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

I liked the movie and cannot wait for the 2nd part; I hope they make it.

This is coming from Sci-Fi fan and a fan of the Dune book and the 5 books that Frank Herbert wrote to follow. I have re-read the whole series (6 books) many times. I first saw the book in 1968 when I was at UCSD: I guess this was when it came out in paperback. My new friend, now my old friend of 53 years, had bought the book and could not put it down, even in class. He consumed it...I quickly followed. I am now in Hong Kong and again re-read the 6 books while enduring the interminable 21 day quarantine on arrival.

The movie itself is great (and I also liked BR 2049) for Sci-Fi fans...very atmospheric with the sum being more than the parts. I thought it was too short (I know, only half) and left out too much for understanding and completeness; for example no explanation concerning the doctor really. I went to see the movie with my BIL (native HK person) and I was worried that he would not understand or like the move; he liked it a lot and wondered why he knew nothing about it.

I would go see it again.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:09 pm
lostdog wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:51 pm Will it be a trilogy or just two parts? There are more books, right?
Two-part movie covering the first Dune book. The books start with a trilogy that covers Paul Atreides (Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune), then more books beyond spanning a few thousands years or so, before Frank Herbert died. His son Brian Herbert then took over and wrote a bunch of (IMHO) terribly written sequels/prequels that I felt were nothing more than a money-grab.
When I read the original Dune book it was a struggle to get through the first half of it - very dry. It improved in the back half. In my opinion Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were better books. Maybe Hollywood should take a clue from the Star Wars series and not start with the first book.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I haven't read the books nor do I know much about Dune themes or history. I saw Dune tonight on the big screen and I really enjoyed it. So thumbs up from me and I would see the second one for sure.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

I was disappointed!

I Liked the David Lynch movie, but watched it as a kid, a zillion times! So, I guess each scene is seared in my mind!

There were no new liberties taken with this new one. The characters seemed lifeless and boring. It could be that I know the story so well but, then, I’ve seen a zillion Superman and Batman and Star Trek reboots. Even Battlestar Gallactica. Loved all the 1sts and reboots. Was expecting some creativity somehow. Such an engrossing story and world building opportunity just waisted!

I didn’t feel any of the characters depth. They were just reciting lines! I wanted to like it. Ofcourse the cinematography was great but sand dunes can only be so interesting to look at.

Mediocre movie. Will watch the 2nd one, if made, only because I’m a sucker for SciFi, Fantasy, and anything in-between or tangentially close!!! sigh!
ScoobyDoo!
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

Saw it on HBO Max and while it would not be on the top of my list of great sci-fi films such as the original Blade Runner and Inception, it is an impressive achievement. Personally I have always been sceptical about how well Dune could be adapted to the screen since so much of the novel consisted of interior dialog. The poor attempt to incorporate that in the Lynch version is what killed it. Here V more or less didn't try, opting for more subtle means at the expense of creating confusion and possibly boredom for viewers without the requisite background.

I did not see it in a theater, but this is clearly a film you want to see in one and in Imax if available. As others have noted, the cinematography is best part of the experience.

Dune is one of my favorite books of all time. I rarely reread fiction and I have read it three times.

I will say that I wish someone would do a TV series treatment ala Game of Thrones. Even at 2.5 hours for half the novel, a ton of stuff got shortened and cut out that I think would have improved the pacing and story telling.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

When the movie was over, I looked around the theater and saw that only I remained.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Financial Times gave it 4 out of 5 stars, which is pretty generous of them.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:26 pm Sadly, I won’t be seeing it in the theatre. Too much Covid in my state. Maybe I will subscribe to hbomax for a month.
Dottie, I believe that we are probably entering into a long social distancing phase of life. Maybe now is a great time, budget allowing, to upgrade your viewing situation at home.

I have decided to watch Dune, even though it’s not what I usually enjoy. But, I will be watching on a recliner, wife next to me, dogs on the couch nearby, in a darkened room, close to a large screen, with 5.1.4 immersive sound, and without overpriced candy, texting audience members, etc.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

My fishing buddy and his wife watched it.

He has not read the book and said the movie felt incomplete. Then his wife told him the movie only covered the first half of the book. He also said the acting was wooden and they could have saved money and used cardboard cutouts for most of the characters.

She is a fan of the book and sort of liked the movie, but I haven't spoken to her to get a detailed review.

I suppose I will wait for the second movie and watch them both one day when I'm bored. Meanwhile, maybe I will read the book for the umpteenth time since the initial release.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Forgot something. My buddy's wife said the new movie really needed Sting to spice it up. :)
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

The original Dune novel was one of the best books I'd ever read (I was about 20). Now that I am 68, I'm afraid to re-read it. It might destroy the memory of my first reading. To me, the sequel novel broke the spell of the first book and did nothing for me. I saw parts of the original Dune movie and it felt cheesy and cheaply done. I'm afraid to see the new movie. There is no way to capture the scope and atmosphere of the original book. I'd rather retain the memories of how great the first book was. I can still picture scenes from it even to this day.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

andypanda wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:38 am He also said the acting was wooden and they could have saved money and used cardboard cutouts for most of the characters.
This +1million!!!!! Characters had no life whatsoever!!!!!
ScoobyDoo!
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Californiastate wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:41 pm I watched it on HBO Max. I didn't like it compared to the older extended version. I was offended when they cut it off to setup a sequel. I personnally would like David Lynch to edit a 3rd version of his movie. Supposedly he shot a lot of footage. Too many movies today leave you to believe that a sequel is possible in the last act.
This will never happen. He has publicly said over multiple years that he will not revisit this film. In large part because Lynch never edited the film.

His initial edit was 4 hours long. This is not uncommon for a first edit. However the film studio was getting nervous over the project so they took over editing. It kind of broke Lynch. From that point forward he always insisted on a "finial edit" clause in his contract.

He was not involved in the extended TV edit. In fact he yanked his name as director and writer as protest.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
kbjeffrey

Post by kbjeffrey »

I loved the books and found the movie enjoyable and also disappointing. It seemed like they were trying to make sure they made enough money on Part 1 in order to get funded for Part 2. I wish it had more substance.
Lucien786

Post by Lucien786 »

I thought it was fantastic. A lot of negative reviews here, so I wanted to chime in with my take, which was different. I'm not really sure what people didn't like -- the movie has certain themes and a certain atmosphere, and maybe some people simply don't like where the movie stands. I would say it was more artistically resonant than almost any movie of this genre that I can think of. As others have noted, the themes of Dune are hard to convey in a movie, and the director chose to try to communicate them through atmosphere and cinematography, which I think was successful. I read a really long profile of the director at the NYT, which was pretty illuminating and helped me appreciate what he was doing here.

I think that as an example of traditional action/thriller storytelling it is probably not as satisfying as other examples -- it's not really built around the predictably-timed dopamine hits of a typical Hollywood blockbuster, which may be what some people don't like. That said, I am pretty riveted by the story and was very disappointed when it was over. I'm definitely into the world the movie built.

Thematically, there is a lot about the movie that seems really timely and relevant. To me, the sophistication of the themes (and how well they're put over/captured in the more technical aspects of the film) makes a big difference to my overall evaluation of a movie, and I was plenty satisfied by that here.
Last edited by Lucien786 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.