Apple Watch - do you like it / use it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Apple Watch - do you like it / use it?

Post by NYCaviator »

Most of the threads seem to be from a few years ago. The watch and Health App has come a long way. Those of you with series 6 (or maybe the new 7), how do you like it, is it worth the money, and is the battery really as bad as everyone says?
namajones

Re: Apple Watch - do you like it / use it?

Post by namajones »

Don't like it. Wouldn't wear it. Too thick. Another battery to charge. Yuck.

I haven't worn a watch in 30 years. Nothing about the Apple watch entices me to do so. The last thing I'd want is a watch to start pestering me about text messages or anything else.

I'd actually pay not to use it.
Last edited by namajones on Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
markjk

Post by markjk »

I have the four and had the three prior. I've been using it since 2017. I'm a huge fan and use it daily for health, notifications, etc. I put it on the charger each morning for about one hour and it gets me through to the next morning without issue.

I can't speak to the newer versions but just wanted to give my approval for the device overall.
markjk

Post by markjk »

namajones wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:35 am The last thing I'd want is a watch to start pestering me about text messages or anything else.
Agreed on the potential for distractions. You can tailor the alerts. For example, I like getting the text alerts but really got tired of all the email alerts. It was just too much. So, I disabled the email alerts.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I use my Watch but not on days when I'm working from home, and I like Apple Health a lot. I have Apple Health linked to my MyChart records.

The only caution I have with the app is making sure the gamification aspects of fitness tracking don't lead you to an injury. There is a limit of how much exercise is "safe" especially as someone ages. I'm not talking about 20 vs 30 minutes of walking, but rather extremes like 200 floors of steps on consecutive days, 2000 calories burned days, and such. Trying to close your rings, keep a long streak going, or get a badge may lead to injury if your body isn't ready or able to do that. I had a one year streak of over 5000 steps per day. I finally decided to deliberately break the streak and not look at it any more because I got tired of my life revolving around finding those steps.

Either people like it, or they hate it I guess. If you don't like to wear a watch or don't like fitness tracking I'd probably say don't get it. Everything is configurable so if you don't want text messages on the watch you just set it up so you don't get them.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I have a 6 and like it a lot. I got my wife a 6 also, she didn’t care for it (didn’t feel comfortable on her wrist), but our son (who inherited it) likes it a lot.

I use it for sleep/health tracking and text alerts. I will upgrade when the watch can do its own glucose monitoring (currently using it to “read” my Dexcom via Bluetooth).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

The two functions I use my Apple Watch for the most is finding my iPhone with the pinging and then notifying me when I have an incoming phone call. The walkie talkie is also fun to do with the wife in the grocery store.

I’m a fan of the watch and would recommend it.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Highly recommend Apple Watch. I love the fitness tracking (ring closure) and how it connects to my Peloton, text/call alerts, ability to use it control when listening to music, and "find my" feature.

If mine ceased to function, I would drive to the Apple store and purchase another same day.
WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo »

I went 20 years without wearing a watch and bought the series 5.

I have found it to be very useful for the following reasons:
1. Timers! Timers were the surprise bonus for me- cooking salmon on the grill, taking a 20 min power nap, reminding myself to take a warm Pepsi out of the freezer, what have you. I use this easy and convenient timer every day.
2. Find my phone. Is it Alzheimers or just aging? I don't know. But if you have an iPhone, it is super convenient to find your phone by initiating a sound with your watch.
3. Weather. Also very convenient.
4. Apple Health - meh, I don't use it much. Rarely for the pulse rate and rhythm. When Apple adds pulse oximetry and blood glucose the thing will be incredibly compelling. Until then, it's mostly a gimmick.

I don't have my phone on me all the time, So I have the cellular version of the watch. That way, I can answer calls if needed on my watch. Friends who are runners love it for the safety of being able to call without carrying a phone on their run.

Cons: Battery life. You do have to charge it every night. Plus, I have a tan line now on my wrist.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

My wife and I have the 6 and really like them.

They are very useful for what we use them for.

I really like the Health part.

Worth every penny we paid for it IMHO.
nyone

Post by nyone »

Apple 6–got it for the EKG capability
Felt dizzy at work so did a 30 second reading and found was having 4 second gaps between beats. Was able to send a PDF of the reading to my doc (and wouldn’t have known this was going on without it). Also liked monitoring my heart rate trends over time with the Cardiogram app linked to my iphone. The fall detection notification is kind of cool (got an alert when I dropped my watch) if it works for actual falls. Wow, I sound a lot older than I am…

I also like the compass app for when I’m hiking (easier than using phone). The O2 sat would be useful if I became Covid+.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have 5, and it fine. It is my least favorite Apple product. I bought it for ekg. My dad’s family is riddled with various types of heart problems. I am not sure I will ever buy another.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I have an older one - not sure what version - I'm not a watch guy but I wear it every day - works really well with the iphone. Great at recording the health stuff. Battery lasts a bit over a day - not a problem - I just throw it on the charger.

I bought my wife a new one - and she wears it all the time over her other watches.

We are big fans.
bernina

Post by bernina »

I had a series 2 for about 4 years. Didn't expect to like it and rely on it as much as I did. Just upgraded to a 7 and the larger 45mm face this month after the series 2 finally fell apart (face was cracked). I have the GPS only model which requires a phone for most features to work fully.

I never wore a watch before my series 2 and was surprised how reliant I become after my original broke. Being waterproof is also a huge perk as I can use it while swimming or other water activities.

Features I use most:
Time
Weather
Fitness (steps, exercise, stand goals)
Find my phone
Controlling volume on whatever audiobook or podcast I'm listening to
Occasionally reading (but rarely responding) to texts
Notification of an incoming call (I don't usually answer on watch)
spectec

Post by spectec »

Just bought mine about a month ago, and I think it's great. It's a Series 6 GPS+ cellular. It display texts, I can take phone calls on it while the phone remains in my pocket, the exercise/activity feature provides good reminders, the camera remote is awesome. And the most-used feature for me is Wallet/Apple Pay for touchless transactions. I seldom ever pull out a card or even my phone any more when making purchases. I do have to charge it every night, but a small elevated stand makes that an easy task. I also really like the black chain mail band with magnetic clasp - very easy to put on, remove, and adjust.
Last edited by spectec on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

It's great for texts - just look at your wrist vs finding your phone. Especially useful for authentication where a text is sent to your phone - just look at your wrist.
riverant

Post by riverant »

I had one a few years ago. Turns out the majority of its use was when I put a Mickey Mouse skin on the clock face and let my toddlers press it so Mickey would tell them the time.

Sold it for 400
bernina

Post by bernina »

Oh I forgot the most useful feature these days.

Unlocking your iPhone while wearing a mask. Also unlocks your MacBook too.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

bernina wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 am Oh I forgot the most useful feature these days.

Don't you have to add a Pin to the watch for this? I was going to do it with my new iMac until I found it it required a pin - which really renders the watch too painful to use. My work installed some software that triggered the pin feature on my watch - I had to uninstall that software to eliminate the pin which really got on my nerves.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:27 am Most of the threads seem to be from a few years ago. The watch and Health App has come a long way. Those of you with series 6 (or maybe the new 7), how do you like it, is it worth the money, and is the battery really as bad as everyone says?
No, I do not like it. At all. Definitely not worth the money.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

I'm a total Apple fanboy since getting a Mac SE30 in 1989, but have not been sold on the Apple watch. I'm still waiting for the Killer App. I may be waiting a long time.

One of the few really useful Apple watch apps is the arrhythmia monitoring. If I had those issues I'd be sold.
Last edited by calmaniac on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
spectec

Post by spectec »

You're right about the age of the comments. Today's Apple Watch is a completely different device than those of just 2-3 years ago. No comparison IMO.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

spectec wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:25 pm You're right about the age of the comments. Today's Apple Watch is a completely different device than those of just 2-3 years ago. No comparison IMO.
Interesting - what is better about it that would justify an upgrade? Thanks
spectec

Post by spectec »

Trader Joe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:16 pm
NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:27 am Most of the threads seem to be from a few years ago. The watch and Health App has come a long way. Those of you with series 6 (or maybe the new 7), how do you like it, is it worth the money, and is the battery really as bad as everyone says?
No, I do not like it. At all. Definitely not worth the money.
Trader Joe:
You're right about the age of the comments. Today's Apple Watch is a completely different device than those of just 2-3 years ago. No comparison IMO.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
spectec

Post by spectec »

rebellovw wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:28 pm
spectec wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:25 pm You're right about the age of the comments. Today's Apple Watch is a completely different device than those of just 2-3 years ago. No comparison IMO.
Everything I listed in my previous comments, plus many more.

> Just bought mine about a month ago, and I think it's great. It's a Series 6 GPS+ cellular. It display texts, I can take phone calls on it while the phone remains in my pocket, the exercise/activity feature provides good reminders, the camera remote is awesome. And the most-used feature for me is Wallet/Apple Pay for touchless transactions. I seldom ever pull out a card or even my phone any more when making purchases. I do have to charge it every night, but a small elevated stand makes that an easy task. I also really like the black chain mail band with magnetic clasp - very easy to put on, remove, and adjust.<

But I'd buy it just for the features I mentioned.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

spectec wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:30 pm
rebellovw wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Everything I listed in my previous comments, plus many more.

> Just bought mine about a month ago, and I think it's great. It's a Series 6 GPS+ cellular. It display texts, I can take phone calls on it while the phone remains in my pocket, the exercise/activity feature provides good reminders, the camera remote is awesome. And the most-used feature for me is Wallet/Apple Pay for touchless transactions. I seldom ever pull out a card or even my phone any more when making purchases. I do have to charge it every night, but a small elevated stand makes that an easy task. I also really like the black chain mail band with magnetic clasp - very easy to put on, remove, and adjust.<

But I'd buy it just for the features I mentioned.
Thanks - yeah - I have most of those with my older watch (7.6.2, MU672) - answer the phone w/o the phone present, display texts, exercise feature. I don't use apple pay - so really no need for me to upgrade yet - perhaps in another 5 years or so.
Last edited by rebellovw on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I have a Series 4. Much nicer than a FitBit, but the problem is the daily charging. I just can’t reliably remember to charge it every day, so inevitably there are times that go by where I just don’t wear it.
kelway

Post by kelway »

I think at some point the health benefits may win me over, but until then no way I'm putting anything on my wrist.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

DW and I both have version 6, and we both like it. I used to have a fitbit ionic, I prefer the apple watch by a large margin. Gps tracking for walks and runs works great. I think the heart rate monitor is more accurate than it was on the fitbit. We use the exercise tracking daily. We charge them every night.

So we both think they are worth the price - to us.As appears to be common since the pandemic, we drove to an Apple store to look at the watches (and watch bands, etc ), found what we liked, but could not get a salesperson to sell them to us without an appointment. So on our way out of the mall we walked through a Best Buy, saw their display, found a salesperson, and completed our purchase of 2 watches in about 10 minutes.
JAg

Post by JAg »

Love it.
Health & fitness tracker
Apple Pay
Mac unlock
Walkie talkie - answer family member calls while walking without stopping to pull out phone. I don’t use for work related calls.
Weather display, world clock
Compass
Oh yes and does tell time
Another one: if voice turn by turn directions annoy you or your passengers the watch can vibrate to alert you about next driving action

Timex Ironman and TAG are in the drawer now.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Hands Free is a great benefit - though I'm sure the newer ones are better at it - I believe on mine I have to touch the phone to accept the call which isn't absolutely safe while driving - once on the call you are good to go. I'll only accept a call if it is safe to do so - great for my older Toyota which doesn't have hands free.
Dr. Mom

Post by Dr. Mom »

I like mine for the convenience of answering phone, seeing texts, finding my phone, using fitness tracking, counting steps, the timer, and of course the time. My husband is a Type 1 Diabetic. The ability to connect it to his Dexcom continuous blood glucose monitor and see his current blood glucose level as well as its trend is a true game changer. He would never go back to any other glucose monitor. It is so discrete to just look at his wrist. It updates every 5 minutes. I only got my Apple Watch because it was half off when we updated his. I have not worn another watch since getting mine. I change the face and band when I need a fancier look, but usually just wear the pink sports band.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

I got the original Apple Watch when it came out in 2015. Last year I upgraded to Series 6 and got my wife a Series 6 as well.

We use all of the features the others up-thread have noted. No one feature by itself would justify the watch, but the whole set of features definitely does. Charging is not an issue, we just do that along with our phones.
Bogle7

Apple Watch - wife loves it

Post by Bogle7 »

My wife loves her Series 6. Health, phone calls, Apple Pay, weather, phone calls. I think she even uses it to tell time.
Her Series 7 arrives in a week or so.
She buys the latest version the day it comes out.

Me.
I don't see the point.
I did not wear a watch until I retired.
Mine tells time and runs on sunlight.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I’ve heard about “find my iPhone” but is there a “find my watch” type feature? Obviously this could have privacy downsides but I have a family member who has some early signs of dementia and it would be an excellent safety feature to be able to find their location in the unfortunate event that they had gotten a bit lost while out on a walk etc, while also giving them the ability to send messages or call
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Love it. I got it as a sports watch, and kept it for everything else. The biggest thing is that I can take a quick glance when I get a notification, and not have to drag my phone out of my pocket. But it also unlocks my phone when I’m wearing a mask (no, you don’t need a pin), and unlocks my MacBook. And Apple Pay, of course. With the latest iOS update, I was able to set it up so that it doesn’t send any notifications when I’m at work.

I just throw it on the charger when I go to bed at night. Honestly, my Garmin went dead more often than the Apple Watch does, because I would forget to charge it. If I wanted to wear it overnight, it charges fast enough that it would charge while I was eating breakfast. It’s also a lot more comfortable to wear than the Garmin was.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

muffins14 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:53 pm I’ve heard about “find my iPhone” but is there a “find my watch” type feature? Obviously this could have privacy downsides but I have a family member who has some early signs of dementia and it would be an excellent safety feature to be able to find their location in the unfortunate event that they had gotten a bit lost while out on a walk etc, while also giving them the ability to send messages or call
Yes, when you use the find my phone app, the watches show up on the map too, even if they’re not in range of the phone they’re connected to.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Oh, and the fall detection works very well. And can be turned off, if, for example, it’s constantly going off in that martial arts class you’re taking. Ask me how I know.
BicycleBuiltForTwo

Post by BicycleBuiltForTwo »

Had a Watch since they first came out. 5 in particular is a big upgrade over the earlier ones because of the always-on face, so agree that old threads probably aren’t useful anymore.

Agree with earlier posters that it isn’t indispensable, but I do really like it. Most of the things that I use it for have been said already, but a few haven’t.

1. Timers. Having my timer on my wrists lets me do stuff around the house while I am baking. Easy to set via Siri.
2. Notifications. I like seeing if I’ve gotten an email, text, or call that I should respond to immediately. I find the buzzing wrist notification to be less disruptive than a screen pop up (I may be in the minority on that).
3. Calendar. This is the key one for me. I’m not retired yet, and I have a lot of meetings. Being able to see at a glance when my next meeting is super helpful.

I also have started using it to keep track of workouts, but my phone would be OK for that. Might be different if I were a runner.

I don’t use Apple Pay that much, but it feels nice to have in the (admittedly highly unlikely) chance that I have forgotten both my phone and my wallet.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

It's an incredible device. It's useful and thought-out beyond what I could have imagined, and I started off as a smartwatch-skeptic.

What's useful for me:
-haptic alarm clock where it gently vibrates your wrist rather than make a sound
-flashing alerts and notifications when driving, or other situations when you dont want to access the phone
-if receiving messages, can reply with voice dictation
-taking or making quick phone calls with the watch itself without having to reach for the phone - say for example you're gardening or doing other hobbies when the phone rings
-heart rate tracking is neat, as are the other common health telemetry (steps walked, etc)
-using NFC apple pay, without having to reach for the phone.
-commanding siri directly to it, including to set alarms and stopwatches and timers, e.g. while in the kitchen to cook something
-watch displays apple wallet cards and QR boarding passes
-when im walking around listening to music or podcasts, can control the playback on the watch (volume, skip, ffwd, etc)
-quickly Find my Phone when its misplaced around the house

the software engineering of UX and functionality is amazing - a little screen wristwatch that can play videos sent from Messages. hardware build is also terrific and the strap attachment design is ingenious. i have a so many mechanical watches that rarely get wrist time now.

this is Series 6 SE. battery lasts about 1.0-1.5 days or something like that. the way it works is i wear it all day and night (including sleep), and it gets a 30 minute charge sometime during the day while sitting at my desk.
bernina

Post by bernina »

rebellovw wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 am
bernina wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 am Oh I forgot the most useful feature these days.

Don't you have to add a Pin to the watch for this? I was going to do it with my new iMac until I found it it required a pin - which really renders the watch too painful to use. My work installed some software that triggered the pin feature on my watch - I had to uninstall that software to eliminate the pin which really got on my nerves.
You're right, you do need to have a pin. However you can now have your phone unlock your watch so I find I rarely have to enter the code.
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

Deleted
Last edited by Texgal17 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I have an Apple Watch 3. I don't wear it all of the time. I use it for exercise, hiking, etc. It works fine. I like it better than my previous Fitbit.
Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress »

Texgal17 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:32 pm Are you able to listen to music with the Apple Watch without having your iPhone on your person? Example, out on a walking trail without WiFi, using my Apple AirPods? Can the watch hold your iTunes music on it?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, you sure can! This is one of my primary uses of my Apple Watch. That, plus:
- using the watch to find my Phone (multiple times a day) :oops:
- triaging incoming texts (quick reads)
- tracking fitness
- wallet / Apple Pay
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

I was a Apple Watch skeptic prior to getting a Series 3 a while back. But Apple Pay, automatically unlocking my Mac, unlocking my phone when I have a mask on, checking alerts without having to take out my phone, fitness tracking, find my phone and more make it very useful.

I also like being able to scan my boarding pass barcode from my watch. My hands are usually full and it's nice to not have to hold my phone to board the plane.

I haven't felt a really compelling need to upgrade to any of the newer models yet, but if something happens to my watch, I would buy the current model.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

DW has a series 3 and mine is a series 2 so we're both really considering upgrading to the 7. For all of you in the "love it" camp, did you get the cellular version and are you happy with that decision? I loathe the idea of adding to our cell phone bill but both DW and I are pretty active so not taking my phone with me for certain activities is pretty appealing.
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

markjk wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:36 am I have the four and had the three prior. I've been using it since 2017. I'm a huge fan and use it daily for health, notifications, etc. I put it on the charger each morning for about one hour and it gets me through to the next morning without issue.

I can't speak to the newer versions but just wanted to give my approval for the device overall.
+1

I had the original AppleWatch and now the 4 - huge fan, especially notifications when driving. I can see message just by looking at my wrist. Never a reason to touch/reach for the phone. If important, I pull over and call them. I am not a text-er.

I love the work-out tracker and various health features. I place it my on the holder to charge every night as I go to bed and it is fully charged in the morning. I wear the entire day and it only loses about 50% of it charge.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

2Scoops wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:08 am DW has a series 3 and mine is a series 2 so we're both really considering upgrading to the 7. For all of you in the "love it" camp, did you get the cellular version and are you happy with that decision? I loathe the idea of adding to our cell phone bill but both DW and I are pretty active so not taking my phone with me for certain activities is pretty appealing.
Im almost never without my phone except inside the house, so the watch is always tethered to the phone and thus do not need cellular. Also seems it would consume more battery
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Love my Apple Watch and wear it 24/7 (30 min charge once a day). IMO the best part is sleep tracking (I use AutoSleep app) - it is amazing to see the linkage between sleep and performance or general overall well-being.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

DW & I both have a Series 2 and use them daily. We use mostly as activity trackers and do not sleep with them as charge is needed nightly. I was leaning towards the Series 7 as it was rumored to have Blood Glucose Monitoring, but that was a just rumor. Series 7 does NOT have Blood Glucose Monitoring, so I see no compelling reason for upgrade. I have been looking at the Oura Ring, while it is also a tracker, I am interested as it has really good sleep tracking and other health metrics. $300 price tag has me somewhat hesitant, especially as this model design is +3 year old. One would think the price would be decreasing..... October 26th Oura is supposed to have an announcement on next generation Oura Ring, so I'll wait a couple more days and evaluate if there is any additional value there. Any price increase regardless of added value will be a huge turn off for me, but we'll see.......

10/27/21 Edit:
New Version 3 Oura Ring is offering some added value with additional temp sensors, oxygen sensors, and significant on-board memory increase, all at the same price, so some added value there. Issue is that their app is moving to a $5.99/month subscription model in order to use their "improved" tracking metrics. App is still free if you stay with basic metrics that don't utilize the the new sensor data. :oops: I find this money grab as totally unacceptable to have access to my own personal data behind a paywall, so the Oura Ring is a "hard pass" for me at this time. I will wait for our Series 2 iWatches to die and then re-evaluate meaningful tracking device options as that time.
Last edited by AllMostThere on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean