Apple Watch - do you like it / use it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
oldcomputerguy

Re: Apple Watch - do you like it / use it?

Post by oldcomputerguy »

A couple of years ago, my doctor told me to start walking 2 miles a day. I wanted to keep tabs on my heart rate during these walks, so I went first for a cheap FitBit. I quickly was disgusted with it, as the device would frequently lose comm with my phone, and so could not track distance and could not report heart rate back to the phone. After a few months of looking online for fixes and none of them curing the issue, I finally broke down and bought an Apple Watch 5. It doesn't have cellular, just WiFi and Bluetooth, which is all I need as I'm generally not without my phone.

The watch communicates flawlessly with my iPhone 11 (which I would have expected :happy ), and I find it very useful in ways I had not anticipated when I bought it. I particularly like being able to see notifications from my phone on my watch, so that I don't have to chase down my phone when I get a text or a Google Calendar notification. It's also handy to be able to see caller ID on incoming iPhone calls when I'm out doing something and don't want to stop to answer yet another call trying to sell me an extended car warranty. :annoyed

The Apple Watch is certainly more expensive than the FitBit that I had before, but in light of my experience, I feel I "got what I paid for".
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
RJC

Post by RJC »

I love it. It has made me disinterested in pricey, luxury “dumb” watches.
Point

Post by Point »

I use the Apple Watch very happy with it easy info right on my wrist instead of pulling phone out and getting distracted by other stuff.

Love the health stuff - use it every day. Worth it!
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I have the cellular version. Love it.

I dont use the cell very much, but the few times I do, it's invaluable.

Still not enough for me to call it a 'must-have', but in terms of a nice upgrade, it's well worth it if you are in the Apple ecosystem.

My daughter has one and I love being able to contact her for pickups after school as well!
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

I have a version 4 (I think) and would recommend it.

one thing not mentioned yet for joggers/runners... I can load music on it from apple music and stream music to my airpods while jogging without having to carry around a klunkly phone that bangs around in your pocket or has to be strapped awkwardly on to your arm.

I love the health fitness tracking, and the close your ring gamification has helped me get steps/lose weight. the EKG stuff is cool too.

notifications are a double edge sword (i.e. its nice to be able to easily get them without your phone, but you really need to tailor which notifications you want bothering you constantly)

charging it overnight is fine... I bought a cheap 3rd party charging stand and the magnets are weak so 10% of the time it slips off center and doesn't charge.... this would probably be more of a bummer if It wasn't COVID WFH time and I had to get out of the house fast in the mornings. (the apple charger works fine)
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

+1 to everything that others have said before on the Apple Watch and how amazing it is.

Only thing I would add is that if you plan to keep it for a couple of years, and can afford it, splurge on the stainless steel version. Having owned both the steel and aluminum versions, the sapphire glass on the steel version holds up much better to wear and scratches. Also the steel watch can be dressed up or down and you can wear it both to the gym and a nice dinner out.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Chan_va wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:56 am +1 to everything that others have said before on the Apple Watch and how amazing it is.

Only thing I would add is that if you plan to keep it for a couple of years, and can afford it, splurge on the stainless steel version. Having owned both the steel and aluminum versions, the sapphire glass on the steel version holds up much better to wear and scratches. Also the steel watch can be dressed up or down and you can wear it both to the gym and a nice dinner out.
Good to know. I scratched the glass on mine the first week I had it. It took some effort. I ran my arm full speed into the tile bathroom wall. I was surprised it didn’t just break.

I try to pretend that scratch isn’t there, but I know it is…
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

WWJBDo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:06 am

1. Timers! Timers were the surprise bonus for me- cooking salmon on the grill, taking a 20 min power nap, reminding myself to take a warm Pepsi out of the freezer, what have you. I use this easy and convenient timer every day.
We use our various Alexa devices for this.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

i have a contrary opinion to the suggestion of upgrading to stainless steel case. unlike mechanical watches, this is a consumer electronic and has shorter usable life - the small battery will cycle out quicker, and the computation power will diminish relative to future software advances.

morals of the disposability aside, you would probably have a better experience for the $ replacing the aluminum watch every 3 years than the steel one every 5 years (or whatever it is).

the alloy case and display is still durable and looks nice
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

hunoraut wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:24 am i have a contrary opinion to the suggestion of upgrading to stainless steel case. unlike mechanical watches, this is a consumer electronic and has shorter usable life - the small battery will cycle out quicker, and the computation power will diminish relative to future software advances.

morals of the disposability aside, you would probably have a better experience for the $ replacing the aluminum watch every 3 years than the steel one every 5 years (or whatever it is).

the alloy case and display is still durable and looks nice
I agree that this is not a treasured heirloom you are going to pass down generations. That being said, the high polish steel and the sapphire crystal do make the steel watch a little more special to wear. The aluminum watch is perfectly fine as well, just not something I would wear to a nice occasion, and you will scratch the display over the course of a year.

Anyway, this is probably the definition of a first world problem. Go try both out and see which one scratches your itch.
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

Soul.in.Progress wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:54 pm
Texgal17 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:32 pm Are you able to listen to music with the Apple Watch without having your iPhone on your person? Example, out on a walking trail without WiFi, using my Apple AirPods? Can the watch hold your iTunes music on it?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, you sure can! This is one of my primary uses of my Apple Watch. That, plus:
- using the watch to find my Phone (multiple times a day) :oops:
- triaging incoming texts (quick reads)
- tracking fitness
- wallet / Apple Pay
Thank you! I researched it after I posted my query and found the info I was looking for.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I've had the apple watch 6 for about a 1.5 years. I have never worn a watch in my life, but was very close to buying the Apple Watch for a few years. Everytime I was close, I'd think "well, I always have my phone so what's the point?". I have the cellular version, but I never set it up because I didn't feel like I would use it that much. In the 1.5 years that I've owned it, I only wished I had cellular one time and that was at a water park where I didn't want to keep my phone on me.

I like it for the Apple health features, alarm, notifications, etc. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that it's a total game changer for me, but it's worth the price.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

I do not own one, but I was just about to pull the trigger until I learned there is not a version of the Sirius radio app for the Apple Watch. My main reason for purchasing it is I hate carrying around my iPhone when running or working out and I don't like using any of the things in the market used to carry a phone like arm bands or waist bands. The Apple watch would have been perfect, but the content on the Sirius app is my favorite when I run or workout.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

bltkmt wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:22 am
WWJBDo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:06 am

1. Timers! Timers were the surprise bonus for me- cooking salmon on the grill, taking a 20 min power nap, reminding myself to take a warm Pepsi out of the freezer, what have you. I use this easy and convenient timer every day.
We use our various Alexa devices for this.
I use Alexa inside the house, but then I need timers out in the yard or away from home.

In general, it’s just nice to have Siri on my wrist. It comes in handy more often than I would have ever imagined.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:27 amMost of the threads seem to be from a few years ago. The watch and Health App has come a long way. Those of you with series 6 (or maybe the new 7), how do you like it, is it worth the money, and is the battery really as bad as everyone says?
Everyone in my family owns and wears one. I have the Series 6 with cellular (had a Series 3 with cellular before that). Of all the Apple products I use, the watch is my favorite.

Battery? I can go 24-36 hours on a charge, but usually charge it in the morning while I am shaving/showering to get me through the next 24 hours. Once they get more of the 7's in stock, I'll probably trade in my 6 and get a 7 to take advantage of the new cycling features and Qwerty keyboard.

Is it worth the money?

ABSOLUTELY :beer

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

I was gifted one and didn’t like it. Love my Garmin though.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Love my Apple Watch:

Sleep Tracking
AFIB Detecting
Slow/Fast HR Detecting
Step Counting/Miles Tracking
Get a phone call or text? Look at your wrist to see more info and decide whether to answer or not.
Wake up alarm (vibrate) keep Ms. Cruise asleep while I wake up.
2-Factor ID through my watch (Fidelity and others)
Alerts from credit cards and home security come on my watch.
Driving/walking Directions on the watch.
Find my Wife/Keys/etc. feature.

The list is endless
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

Cruise wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 pm Love my Apple Watch:

Sleep Tracking
AFIB Detecting
Slow/Fast HR Detecting
Step Counting/Miles Tracking
Get a phone call or text? Look at your wrist to see more info and decide whether to answer or not.
Wake up alarm (vibrate) keep Ms. Cruise asleep while I wake up.
2-Factor ID through my watch (Fidelity and others)
Alerts from credit cards and home security come on my watch.
Driving/walking Directions on the watch.
Find my Wife/Keys/etc. feature.

The list is endless
Is the "find my keys" feature tied to the use of airtags?
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Yes indeed.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

I got the 3 because I’m cheap. Found it to be extremely difficult to use. Menu navigation is a nightmare especially when I’m running and trying to track my run and play downloaded music at the same time, which is the main reason I got it. Now it’s gathering dust at the bottom of a drawer. So, my advice would be to try a newer model.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

privateer79 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 am I have a version 4 (I think) and would recommend it.

one thing not mentioned yet for joggers/runners... I can load music on it from apple music and stream music to my airpods while jogging without having to carry around a klunkly phone that bangs around in your pocket or has to be strapped awkwardly on to your arm.
Do you have the cellular version?
verbose

Post by verbose »

I have an Apple Watch. Pre-pandemic, I wore it every day. Now WFH, I don't wear it as often.

I've found that it has a few interesting benefits, not all of which I expected:

- I can answer phone calls and texts when my phone is in my purse (and I don't hear it vibrating) or when my hands are full. This is almost always my husband calling me to ask what's for dinner, who's picking up a kid, or which aisle of the big box store am I in now?

- I can dictate text responses even if my hands are barely free.

- It's a very good way to cut down on phone screen time. I was doing OK with phone screen time before the pandemic, but afterwards, that phone became my constant attachment and I have a ton of things that can distract me: web sites, news, games, YouTube, social media, etc. But I can't just put the phone away because then I miss phone calls, texts, alerts, etc. that are important. The watch solves this. I put the phone in a different room of my home and wear the watch. I don't miss phone calls, texts or alerts. I can even check email. But I cannot play games, read news, browse the web or doom-scroll social media. There just isn't that much to "play with" on the watch, yet it leaves me connected. Seriously, this is the biggest benefit of the watch that I have found.

- A few of my important work apps are available on the watch. I can respond to support alerts and get my work VPN two-factor code from the watch without digging my phone out (and risking being distracted by it).
hudson

Post by hudson »

I have the 5. In a few minutes it will have watchOS 8.1. Isn't that the same OS as the new models?
I don't see that the new models do anything that would make me want to upgrade.

Apple Watch Models Compared: https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

I like this comparison better...scroll down: https://www.superwatches.com/apple-watch-comparison/

If I was buying for the first time, I'd get the newest model. The newest model #7 is just a #5 with added features...none that make me want to upgrade.
Last edited by hudson on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

I do a long beach walk every day (4+ miles). The watch allows me to listen to music while doing it, retain the ability to contact someone in the event of an emergency, and tracks all my fitness data.

I love the Apple Watch. My Apple Watch 7 is scheduled to be delivered within the next couple of days. Can't wait.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

BionicBillWalsh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:20 pm I do a long beach walk every day (4+ miles). The watch allows me to listen to music while doing it, retain the ability to contact someone in the event of an emergency, and tracks all my fitness data.

I love the Apple Watch. My Apple Watch 7 is scheduled to be delivered within the next couple of days. Can't wait.
Do you have to have cellular to listen to music/contact people without your iPhone in your pocket? I love the idea of the cellular model. I run a lot, and it would be amazing to leave my phone at home and still be able to call someone in an emergency. But, you have to have a post-paid plan to add the watch, which would increase my bill by $50+ a month (tough to justify). I can't figure out the differences between the cell and non-cell models.
exigent

Post by exigent »

rebellovw wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 am
bernina wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 am Oh I forgot the most useful feature these days.

Unlocking your iPhone while wearing a mask. Also unlocks your MacBook too.
Don't you have to add a Pin to the watch for this? I was going to do it with my new iMac until I found it it required a pin - which really renders the watch too painful to use. My work installed some software that triggered the pin feature on my watch - I had to uninstall that software to eliminate the pin which really got on my nerves.
You only have to enter the PIN when you first put the watch on. It stays unlocked from then until you remove it, so this (to me) is a complete non-issue. I put it on in the morning after I shower, enter the PIN, and only have to re-do this if I take it off during the day — e.g., if I shower after a workout. I will say that it’s *very* handy for unlocking other devices and enter the watch PIN once means I don’t have to unlock other devices multiple times per day. That’s an excellent tradeoff (imho).
exigent

Post by exigent »

I have one and like it. I find text alerts to be handy and non-intrusive though I will admit to pretty much only texting with family so they’re all messages that I want to see. If I was bombarded with work texts, I might feel different. We use Slack at work, and I don’t have those notifications enabled on my watch.

I really like the heart rate and activity tracking. I realize that other brands might offer this, but my Apple Watch just works. Pretty much flawlessly. I also really like the Infograph watch faces that I’ve set up. I have one for everyday use that has a bunch of useful (to me) info all on the lock screen.

I have a Series 4 (bought when it first came out), so I’m several models behind the curve, but I’ve really never been tempted to upgrade. Like I said above, it just works. I can envision using it until it dies without being tempted into a continuous upgrade cycle.

As an added bonus, checking my watch (even if it’s so see a text message) often gets me out of meetings b/c people think I have another commitment and am running late — and it comes off as far less rude than checking your phone. :twisted:
exigent

Post by exigent »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am
BionicBillWalsh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:20 pm I do a long beach walk every day (4+ miles). The watch allows me to listen to music while doing it, retain the ability to contact someone in the event of an emergency, and tracks all my fitness data.

Do you have to have cellular to listen to music/contact people without your iPhone in your pocket? I love the idea of the cellular model. I run a lot, and it would be amazing to leave my phone at home and still be able to call someone in an emergency. But, you have to have a post-paid plan to add the watch, which would increase my bill by $50+ a month (tough to justify). I can't figure out the differences between the cell and non-cell models.
I have the cellular model but haven’t actually activated it. I thought I would but tried using it without at the start and it worked so well that I’ve never seen the value in paying for another connection. The WiFi connectivity along with having my phone somewhere nearby is (for me) good enough. I could see wanting it for streaming music or whatever during outdoor workouts, but my neighborhood actually has pretty terrible cell coverage so I’m not sure it would actually provide me with a benefit in that case.

One nice thing is that as long as your phone and watch are on the same WiFi network, they act as if they’re side-by-side. This means I can dump my phone wherever when I get home and my watch still provides text alerts, etc. anywhere within range of the WiFi network. No need to keep the phone within Bluetooth range. This doesn’t work on our secure network at work, but it’s very handy at home.
hudson

Post by hudson »

exigent wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:23 am One nice thing is that as long as your phone and watch are on the same WiFi network, they act as if they’re side-by-side. This means I can dump my phone wherever when I get home and my watch still provides text alerts, etc. anywhere within range of the WiFi network. No need to keep the phone within Bluetooth range. This doesn’t work on our secure network at work, but it’s very handy at home.
Useful info!
I always wondered how I could get calls on my apple watch when my phone was 50 feet away. I just figured that the Bluetooth was super strong.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

Got mine originally for the EKG function, after having a bout of atrial-fibrillation a few years ago. (nothing since).
Now, the killer app for me is Apple Pay on your wrist. Paying that way is just so easy it's awesome (yeah, I'm lazy :D )
privateer79

Post by privateer79 »

NYCaviator wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 pm
privateer79 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 am I have a version 4 (I think) and would recommend it.

Do you have the cellular version?
I don't however in retrospect I probably would buy one with cellular next time... (I didn't realize the service was only like 10$ extra when I bought mine)

a playlist is actually stored on the watch and played to the airpods....
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

exigent wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:06 am
rebellovw wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 am
bernina wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 am Oh I forgot the most useful feature these days.

Unlocking your iPhone while wearing a mask. Also unlocks your MacBook too.
Don't you have to add a Pin to the watch for this? I was going to do it with my new iMac until I found it it required a pin - which really renders the watch too painful to use. My work installed some software that triggered the pin feature on my watch - I had to uninstall that software to eliminate the pin which really got on my nerves.
You only have to enter the PIN when you first put the watch on. It stays unlocked from then until you remove it, so this (to me) is a complete non-issue. I put it on in the morning after I shower, enter the PIN, and only have to re-do this if I take it off during the day — e.g., if I shower after a workout. I will say that it’s *very* handy for unlocking other devices and enter the watch PIN once means I don’t have to unlock other devices multiple times per day. That’s an excellent tradeoff (imho).
I rarely have to enter the PIN. Once I pick up my phone and let it recognize my face, the Watch unlocks automatically.
exigent

Post by exigent »

oxothuk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:01 pm I rarely have to enter the PIN. Once I pick up my phone and let it recognize my face, the Watch unlocks automatically.
Good info. I've never noticed that. I guess I usually put my watch on before doing anything on my phone.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I feel lost without my watch nowadays. I love it. I bought the cellular version, but I don't think I've ever used that feature.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Questions for people who have the Apple Watch... I don't want to get the cellular version, so with the wifi only version:

1. Can I leave my phone at home (or in the locker out of bluetooth range) when I go to the gym, but connect the watch to wifi and still be able to stream music and get iMessage alerts?
2. How does the unlock work with iPhone and Mac? If I unlock my iPhone or Apple Watch once, does that mean as long as they are in range of each other, I wouldn't need to unlock either to use them?
3. Is there a way to get a cellular Apple Watch without having to switch to a post-paid cell plan (it would increase my bill at least $50/month plus the $10 for the watch)?

The biggest benefit to me would be not having to have my phone on me.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:52 am Questions for people who have the Apple Watch... I don't want to get the cellular version, so with the wifi only version:

1. Can I leave my phone at home (or in the locker out of bluetooth range) when I go to the gym, but connect the watch to wifi and still be able to stream music and get iMessage alerts?
2. How does the unlock work with iPhone and Mac? If I unlock my iPhone or Apple Watch once, does that mean as long as they are in range of each other, I wouldn't need to unlock either to use them?
3. Is there a way to get a cellular Apple Watch without having to switch to a post-paid cell plan (it would increase my bill at least $50/month plus the $10 for the watch)?

The biggest benefit to me would be not having to have my phone on me.
I’ve never tried to do anything like questions 1 or 3, so someone else will have to answer.

For unlocking, when you first put on the watch, you unlock the watch one of two ways, either by entering the pin on the watch, or by unlocking your phone while wearing the watch. Once your watch is unlocked, it will unlock your phone and your Mac. The first time after you reboot either phone or Mac, you still have to enter the passcode, but after that, the watch gives a little haptic “click click,” the device you’re unlocking smugly announces that it was unlocked by the watch, and it’s unlocked.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:52 am 1. Can I leave my phone at home (or in the locker out of bluetooth range) when I go to the gym, but connect the watch to wifi and still be able to stream music and get iMessage alerts?
You can definitely do those things on a non-cellular Apple Watch if connected to wifi. However, it would have to be a network where you get on just with the wifi password, like you have at home. The wifi networks at say cafes and fitness clubs, where you generally have a login page first, will not work, at least not without cumbersome workarounds.
hsmith

Post by hsmith »

markjk wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:36 am I have the four and had the three prior. I've been using it since 2017. I'm a huge fan and use it daily for health, notifications, etc. I put it on the charger each morning for about one hour and it gets me through to the next morning without issue.

I can't speak to the newer versions but just wanted to give my approval for the device overall.
I upgraded from an LG Urbane to the Apple Watch, Series 4 (WiFi only) a couple of years ago, and am much happier with the Apple Watch. I like many of the features mentioned above. When I take calls on the watch, callers comment that it sounds better when I’m talking over the phone. It charges up quickly. I also like using Siri on the watch, asking for the outside temperature, forecast or anything else that Siri responds to. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned above – I can turn on/off my Philips Hue lights using Siri. That’s convenient when taking my dog out for a poop at night, and she decides to go into the back yard, etc. I can just ask Siri, “Turn on back light,” and - badabing - we have lights.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Bought it then returned it. Not my cup of tea and the pulse oximeter kept zapping me for some reason.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

I went into Afib in February of this year & my Apple Watch caught it right away.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

newyorker wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:21 am Bought it then returned it. Not my cup of tea and the pulse oximeter kept zapping me for some reason.
The pulse oximeter uses light. Not possible to zap. Are you confusing that with the little haptic vibrations the watch uses to get your attention?
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:47 pm
newyorker wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:21 am Bought it then returned it. Not my cup of tea and the pulse oximeter kept zapping me for some reason.
The pulse oximeter uses light. Not possible to zap. Are you confusing that with the little haptic vibrations the watch uses to get your attention?
I have no idea. It felt like a zap. Every 10 minutes or so. Returned it the same day. Apple watch 7.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

newyorker wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:24 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:47 pm
I have no idea. It felt like a zap. Every 10 minutes or so. Returned it the same day. Apple watch 7.
It was probably telling you you had email. You can turn that off.
Azsnowbird

Post by Azsnowbird »

I love my apple watch and I GOT IT FOR FREE! To get this deal must be 65 years old and own an iphone 6+ or newer and enroll in the heart line study. So far Ive been paid in amazon gift cards $68 (since april) for my participation. Download the app at the apple store. Look for “heartline study”
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I posted one of those old posts you may have looked at. Prior to buying a series 3 in March 2018 I asked people for their input. Similar to what you've gotten - "waste of money" to "life changing". I won't go into all the details / uses as others have already hit everything. Battery has never been an issue, and it was my fear going in. I sleep with it, then put on the charger when I get out of bed. It's fully charged in an hour or so.

Just like a Timex :) "Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking"
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am

Sorry for the delayed response. Unless you have wifi connectivity close, you have to have cellular activated to be able to contact people or stream music while out and about without your phone. You can store playlists and songs on the watch itself, but the beauty of having the cellular component activated as it completely frees you from your phone when out doing tasks or physical activity. You can also use Apple Pay to make purchases with your watch without having your phone close although you can also do this without cellular activated.

I only pay $10 extra a month for this feature so not too much of a burden.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:52 am 3. Is there a way to get a cellular Apple Watch without having to switch to a post-paid cell plan (it would increase my bill at least $50/month plus the $10 for the watch)?
Of the supported US carriers here:
https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

Visible (prepaid) and Xfinity Mobile have inexpensive plans.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I have the 3 and my wife has the 4, so I can't comment on newer models. I've always been a watch wearer, but this is just "more".

1) I like using it to make my phone beep when I'm looking for it
2) I like seeing my next meeting on my watch
3) I like seeing when a text comes in
4) I like being able to take a phone call on it in a pinch (I do not have cellular)
5) I like being able to speak a text into it (although it's not great)
6) When I am working out, I like being able to glance at my heart rate (although this is more of a novelty than something I use religiously)

My wife has the cellular one, and she likes being able to make and take calls without carrying her phone around.

Those are the positives. Charging each night is not really a big deal, toss it on the night stand. I wish Siri was better, that can be frustrating.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Have Apple Watch 6 with phone service.

Charge it overnight or if used for sleep tracking for about an hour before bed…

I use it every day, all day for:
Sleep tracking
Activity tracking
Weather
Audio (music and audio books)
Texts
Heart rate
Walkie talkie with spouse (least favorite app, seems to be poorly implemented)
Golf (yardage to hole/hazards, scoring, swing/distance tracking)
Workouts
Timers (workouts and cooking)
Mindfulness
Calendar
Stock market
“Find my” for phone, ipad, spouse
Siri (e.g. while driving… “hey Siri, remind me when i get home to …” generates a location specific reminder… pretty cool)
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I have a series 7 watch. I use it for lots of things but some of my favorites are fitness tracking, Apple Pay and making calls without my phone. I sometimes go places without my cell phone such as yoga and it’s great that I can always use my watch for phone calls. Granted I don’t do this regularly but it’s great to have for an emergency.

Using Apple Pay with only my watch has become much more flexible during the pandemic because Apple Pay will require a pin on the iPhone if you’re wearing a mask. Once you use your pin to unlock your watch when you put it on then you don’t need to unlock it anymore an Apple pay is so easy.

I also use Spotify and podcasts on my watch and again the biggest benefit as I can download to my watch directly and therefore listen to these things without having my phone with me.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?