How to obtain required Covid vaccine QR code for travel when vaccinated in FL (or any state not issuing QR codes)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Springskier

How to obtain required Covid vaccine QR code for travel when vaccinated in FL (or any state not issuing QR codes)?

Post by Springskier »

QR code is mandatory for entry into some countries.

Husband and I are seasonal residents of FL and were vaccinated there. We're traveling to a country where the QR code is mandatory. We're permanent residents of NJ. To make matters more complicated, our doctors are in NYC.

Been going down the rabbit hole and seeking advice from BHs. Any advice as to how to proceed here?

FYI: I've contacted the pharmacy where we received the vaccines (Publix). They don't offer QR codes. Publix rep said: don't believe governor will ever approve QR codes.

Publix rep said Floridians are using private companies, but beware some are identity theft scams.
gasmanMD

Re: How to obtain required Covid vaccine QR code for travel when vaccinated in FL (or any state not issuing QR codes)?

Post by gasmanMD »

I am not entirely familiar with what you are looking for but Clear (the security agency that helps you speed thru airport security) allows you to upload your vaccination card. In turn, it produces a QR code of your vaccination record. Not sure if this is accepted where you go but may want to look into it.

If you have an American Express Platinum card, the clear annual fee is one of the perks.

Wish I could offer more help but with toddlers in tow, my international travel days are quite limited.
Tooth

Re: How to obtain required Covid vaccine QR code for travel when vaccinated in FL (or any state not issuing QR codes)?

Post by Tooth »

Is the QR code the only way you can travel to the country? I know you have to register online for the EU and need proof. Wouldn't the vaccine record/card be proof?
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

We are off to Italy next week. With our white covid cards. No codes. Have friends over there now. Because I don’t like surprises on these things, I have been reading up. It seem that for Americans all you need is your white covid card. Do you have that?
Nothing I have read shows a code needed.
Next thing is, what country are you going to? Probably you should research the entry for that country for US citizens.
Jeev1

Post by Jeev1 »

Please call and ask the lab or clinic or cvs where you plan to get the test done if code would be on the test result report.
Good luck
iljets10

Post by iljets10 »

I actually think it’s the opposite - most other countries won’t accept US QR code’s. We are going to France in a few months and you need your original vaccine card. You cannot get an EU vaccine passport (QR code) unless you were vaccinated in the EU.

I believe the only state with a vaccine passport is NY state. You can ask Publix to send your vaccine record to the NYSDOH and then you can get an Excelsior pass.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

My PCP uses Epic/MyChart. If your providers enter the data (even if you got the shots elsewhere and they enter it from your card by hand) MyChart will provide a QR code for you. However I don't know if that QR code would be usable everywhere. White card seems to be the gold standard.

I did try scanning my MyChart QR code with the Commons Project Smart HealthCard verifier app (available in app stores). It worked.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Which country?

If in the EU, you might read all sorts of confusing comments even from official sources. It's a mess right now.

But Americans have CDC cards and this is our official proof of vaccination. You might need to register in advance for your trip, as with Germany, but very likely they'll take your CDC card seriously.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Thanks all.

Jeev1: Publix, the FL pharmacy where we received the vaccine last Feb/March does not offer QR codes.

Thanks Tooth and Shallowpockets: Yes, we have the white CDC cards -- they don't have QR codes. Some states, including FL, don't and won't offer QR codes. We're traveling to the Middle East. The QR codes are mandatory. On Monday I will contact the country's consulate. However, the country's website clearly states mandatory QR codes, no exceptions. So I've got to assume that we will have to find a way to get have a QR code linked to our proof of vaccination.

Gasman MD: Thank you. We'll look into this.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

I have been traveling throughout Western Europe for the past several weeks. My experiences:

Spain- requires you to fill out an online registration with flight info, where staying in Spain, and your vaccine details. They send you their QR code needed for entry. Once entered Spain, I was never asked for my vaccine card or the QR code. Spain has been the most “open” of the countries I have visited.

Germany- requires similar online registration as Spain. And they do not send a QR code. However, in lieu of the EU vaccine QR code that the locals use, I was required to show my US vaccine card and passport (to make sure names match) to enter restaurants, museums etc.

Switzerland- same as Germany while I was there except from this coming Monday the US vaccine card will no longer be accepted and visitor must obtain the Switzerland QR code document to enter restaurants, museums etc. - which you can get by registering on a Swiss government website - you have to upload a copy of your US vaccine card and - guess what? - pay 30 Swiss Franks - and they will email you your QR code. Remember Switzerland is not part of the EU and they have their own regs and systems.

Bottom line is the rules can change suddenly- so you have to keep abreast of the latest requirements; every country has their own version of document rules there is no one size fits all; the US vaccine card may be acceptable in many places for now but don’t be surprised if additional registration will be required eventually; governments are beginning to use this as a chance to rip-off tourists by charging ridiculous fees to get the QR code necessary to eat, drink, etc
Last edited by truenorth418 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:27 am Thanks all.

Jeev1: Publix, the FL pharmacy where we received the vaccine last Feb/March does not offer QR codes.

Thanks Tooth and Shallowpockets: Yes, we have the white CDC cards -- they don't have QR codes. Some states, including FL, don't and won't offer QR codes. We're traveling to the Middle East. The QR codes are mandatory. On Monday I will contact the country's consulate. However, the country's website clearly states mandatory QR codes, no exceptions. So I've got to assume that we will have to find a way to get have a QR code linked to our proof of vaccination.

What country?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
spectec

Post by spectec »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 am My PCP uses Epic/MyChart. If your providers enter the data (even if you got the shots elsewhere and they enter it from your card by hand) MyChart will provide a QR code for you. However I don't know if that QR code would be usable everywhere. White card seems to be the gold standard.

I did try scanning my MyChart QR code with the Commons Project Smart HealthCard verifier app (available in app stores). It worked.
Same experience here. If your providers happen to use MyChart, you can get a QR code by submitting your vaccine data to them. I got my vaccines at a mass vaccination site operated by Atrium, submitted a copy of the card to Novant MyChart, and got my QR code shortly thereafter. It worked fine for international travel in my case (but not to the Middle East so not sure if this is of help to you)
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
stan1

Post by stan1 »

spectec wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:33 am
stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 am My PCP uses Epic/MyChart. If your providers enter the data (even if you got the shots elsewhere and they enter it from your card by hand) MyChart will provide a QR code for you. However I don't know if that QR code would be usable everywhere. White card seems to be the gold standard.

Same experience here. If your providers happen to use MyChart, you can get a QR code by submitting your vaccine data to them. I got my vaccines at a mass vaccination site operated by Atrium, submitted a copy of the card to Novant MyChart, and got my QR code shortly thereafter. It worked fine for international travel in my case.
That's interesting, can you let us know how that last sentence worked? You had your QR code from MyChart. What next for international travel? Where did you go, did you provide QR code to airline, or did restaurants in the country you went to actually scan the MyChart QR code and let you in?
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:27 am Thanks all.

I received my vaccines from CVS in Florida. CVS offers QR code’s on their website and I obtained a QR code that way. However it was not accepted when I tried scanning it in Switzerland. I don’t think there is a one QR code fits all solution.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

FYI, I contacted our NY doctor to ask that his office request the records from Publix. My thought here is that once he has the certified records we could get a QR code from NY State.

Does anyone have experience with this, e.g., either NY State resident vaccinated in a non-QR code state who successfully received a QR code Excelsior pass.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:31 am FYI, I contacted our NY doctor to ask that his office request the records from Publix. My thought here is that once he has the certified records we could get a QR code from NY State.

Does anyone have experience with this, e.g., either NY State resident vaccinated in a non-QR code state who successfully received a QR code Excelsior pass.
Are you willing to share the country?
Watty

Post by Watty »

In addition to the country that is your final destination you should also look into any other country you might have a flight connection in. I am not sure how that works but for example if you change planes at London then fly to Paris you may need to also show your information in London for the UK rules.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

FYI, I called the Florida Department of Health and was directed to request via email through the FL DOH portal, fl.shotusers.gov, had to docusign an authorized release. Once received my thought is to give to our NYC doctor and hopefully upload to NJ DOH, but at this time NJ does not offer a QR code.

Interestingly, the FL DOH rep said "Florida is not set up to communicate with other state DOH's at this time." So I can't ask the NJ DOH to request the info.

Once I receive certified copies from FL DOH -- and apparently there's a backlog and this can take weeks -- I will try to upload onto NJ DOH. Does anyone have experience uploading an out of state vaccine record to NJ? The NJ DOH website says QR codes "may" be coming soon.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

FL DOH said some Floridians are using passporthealthusa.com. Does anyone have any experience using this company or another private entity offering QRcodes? Haven't looked into this yet. A bit concerned about identity theft scams.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

The country is Oman. We're flying through Dubai and possibly staying there a week prior to Oman.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

To clarify, we've booked the trip to Oman but have not yet booked the flights. We're hoping to fly through Dubai.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I generated a QR code using California's system, where I was vaccinated. However, whoever is verifying the vaccination that way needs to download a special application called Smart Health Card Verifier. So I am not even sure if something like that meets the standard for many places outside the US. Unfortunately, it does not meet the standard for my previous country of residence (Philippines) which requires a national digital verification system (a statewide system is insufficient for them and they do not accept CDC cards).
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Stan1, Spectec, Truenorth418: Thanks, lots of good information.

Will check Monday with our various NYC docs. I don't believe PCP uses Epic/MyChart, but our NYU Langone docs might.

Brainstorming here, and wondering if we should apply for a EU vaccine document for travel through France. Seem to recall reading somewhere -- Bogleheads? -- that France offers an application process where you upload your vaccine card and then you receive a vaccination passport with a QR code that allows one to travel throughout Europe.
spectec

Post by spectec »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:36 am
spectec wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:33 am

Same experience here. If your providers happen to use MyChart, you can get a QR code by submitting your vaccine data to them. I got my vaccines at a mass vaccination site operated by Atrium, submitted a copy of the card to Novant MyChart, and got my QR code shortly thereafter. It worked fine for international travel in my case.
That's interesting, can you let us know how that last sentence worked? You had your QR code from MyChart. What next for international travel? Where did you go, did you provide QR code to airline, or did restaurants in the country you went to actually scan the MyChart QR code and let you in?
The trip was to Turks & Caicos, so I didn't think it had relevance beyond obtaining the QR code. We uploaded the vaccine data to Verifly and also to the Turks & Caicos site for approval 3 days before departure (along with a recent negative COVID test). T&C doesn't require any validation at restaurants, museums, etc so we didn't need to produce any proof once we were admitted to the country, aside from having to wear masks, so I don't think it's helpful to your question. My intent was only to detail how we got a QR code.

Incidentally, when preparing to return, we did the BinaxNOW proctored test by computer using the NAVICA app in order to meet the US requirements for returning. That was exceptionally easy - we simply performed the test while in our accommodations without having to find a local test site. We uploaded the test result to Verifly and we were done. Even got our electronic boarding passes, Didn't need to do anything when we got to the airport for departure but produce our passports. But this was all on Amiercan Airlines and I suspect you're traveling Emirates so not sure any of this will matter to you.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 am We are off to Italy next week. With our white covid cards. No codes. Have friends over there now. Because I don’t like surprises on these things, I have been reading up. It seem that for Americans all you need is your white covid card. Do you have that?
Nothing I have read shows a code needed.
Next thing is, what country are you going to? Probably you should research the entry for that country for US citizens.
Just came back spending two weeks in Italy. This is true but enforced inconsistently. Some restaurants didn't even ask for the proof. Some would just glance at it. Only one tiny restaurant refused to accept picture of my Covid card (had forgot the original in the hotel room).

While I didn't do it, I would take a couple of paper photocopies of the white card - just in case you loose the original.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Watty, thanks. That's such an important point.

When researching flights -- and trying to determine where to connect, since there are no direct flights to Oman -- some countries require negative PCR tests in addition to vaccines and depending on your flight length, the results can only be 96-72 hours before flight. If we do stay/visit in Dubai we'll have to get negative PCR tests prior to travel to Oman. As Truenorth418 emphasized, you have to keep abreast of the latest requirements and rules change.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Watty wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 am In addition to the country that is your final destination you should also look into any other country you might have a flight connection in. I am not sure how that works but for example if you change planes at London then fly to Paris you may need to also show your information in London for the UK rules.
This is important. You have to meet requirements of both countries which can be different. I flew to Italy via Portugal (Lisbon). Portugal requires transiting passengers have a negative covid test within 72 hours prior to the DEPARTURE. Italy requires negative covid test within 48 hours prior to ARRIVAL in Italy. Go figure ! It can get confusing real fast in figuring out the timing of the test.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

iljets10 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:10 am I actually think it’s the opposite - most other countries won’t accept US QR code’s. We are going to France in a few months and you need your original vaccine card. You cannot get an EU vaccine passport (QR code) unless you were vaccinated in the EU.

I believe the only state with a vaccine passport is NY state. You can ask Publix to send your vaccine record to the NYSDOH and then you can get an Excelsior pass.
This is correct. I used my CDC card in Europe. No problems. As a US citizen you aren’t even eligible for the EU green card. It wasn’t a problem for me at all.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Sorry I don't know how to link this. If someone else does ...

diplomatie.gouv.fr. Title: "Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad/procedure for non-European nationals entering France and non-European students."

Drilling down on this now but it appears there's been a procedure in place in France since 08-27-2021 for non-student foreign nationals to obtain a Covid certificate if vaccinated with approved vaccines.

Not sure if you can use the certificate in other EU countries. We were considering returning from Oman through CDG. Has anyone done this? If so can you provide the steps to apply.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:52 am Sorry I don't know how to link this. If someone else does ...

diplomatie.gouv.fr. Title: "Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad/procedure for non-European nationals entering France and non-European students."

Drilling down on this now but it appears there's been a procedure in place in France since 08-27-2021 for non-student foreign nationals to obtain a Covid certificate if vaccinated with approved vaccines.

Not sure if you can use the certificate in other EU countries. We were considering returning from Oman through CDG. Has anyone done this? If so can you provide the steps to apply.
I've always avoided connecting through CDG based on experiences of others. But maybe you're planning a stopover in France so you may have a reason for using it. Compared to the half-dozen other international connections I've used, I've never experienced one better than Dubai (outbound or inbound).
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 am QR code is mandatory for entry into some countries.

Husband and I are seasonal residents of FL and were vaccinated there. We're traveling to a country where the QR code is mandatory. We're permanent residents of NJ. To make matters more complicated, our doctors are in NYC.

Been going down the rabbit hole and seeking advice from BHs. Any advice as to how to proceed here?

FYI: I've contacted the pharmacy where we received the vaccines (Publix). They don't offer QR codes. Publix rep said: don't believe governor will ever approve QR codes.

Publix rep said Floridians are using private companies, but beware some are identity theft scams.
I went through this two months ago when traveling to Europe where many countries now use a GreenPass, which is an app where you upload your vaccination status to an app using a QR code that you get from a vaccination registry. To make a long story short, there are no QR codes in Florida and and even those places who did provide QR codes, they are not transferable, i.e. they only link for example to your appointment at the pharmacy where you got your shot. None of the QR codes in the US, even those from states that have some sort of pass, like NY's Excelsior pass, work abroad.

The weird thing is, our vaccinations are registered. I can go to my county health department here in FL and they can print out a record that contains the vaccine dates. So, it's not like they are not registered anywhere. In fact, one of my two shots were in this record, the other wasn't and they just added the information that I read off my COVID vaccine card and added it to their database. So, when I went to pick up my print out both vaccines were listed. I felt better traveling with this piece of paper because it had the official county symbol and stamp on it. I never needed it though. My Covid vaccine card worked just fine at all the airports in Europe. Caveat: that was two months ago. However, I cannot imagine that a country will allow tourists from the US and then not accept US vaccine records. Where it gets more difficult is within the countries where these GreenPass is required to get into venues or restaurants. I am traveling to Europe over the holidays in December and will just go with my Covid Vaccine Card. That's all we will ever have in this country. Unfortunately. :oops:
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:52 am Sorry I don't know how to link this. If someone else does ...

This may work now, but when I was traveling in August there apparently also was a procedure where I was supposed to be able to go to a pharmacy in France or Italy and show my Covid card and they would issue a QR code for my GreenPass or whatever that country had. I went to several pharmacies and nobody knew what I was talking about.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Wow. Lots of info there, JS-Elcano. Thanks so much.

I just learned our NYC doctors practicing out of NYU Langone use Epic/MyChart and I uploaded our Covid vaccination records there. in order to get the Excelsior Pass. and then a QR code. But this might not be sufficient?

Oman requires QR code to enter. Will be contacting the Consulate. One item I just ran across was the IATA travel pass, which your airline must participate in. Emirates does, and although we haven't booked our flights yet, we are probably going to book Emirates connecting through Dubai. Has anyone used this? I think I will call Emirates too.

Lots of decisions here -- whether to have a days-long layover in Dubai to see Expo and Dubai, risking a positive test- which seems a low risk due to entry requirements and high percentage of vaccinated population in UAE... Although there will be tourists at Expo...our trip in Oman is with a group and has a start and end date we don't want to risk missing. We could stop in Dubai on our return trip. I wanted to stop to adjust to the time zone and overcome jet lag too. It seems fairly easy to find a place to get a PCR test in Dubai. There's just that risk.
Any info or advice on IATA travel pass would be greatly appreciated.

JS-Elcanao, I saw that bit about heading into pharmacy in France for a QR code on iirc flyer talk, and frankly I wondered if a pharmacist would have any knowledge of how to do that. When I talked to the NYU Langone helpdesk to make sure our records were uploaded and asked about their inputing info into NYS DOH and the excelsior pass, the help desk rep had not heard of the Excelsior Pass.

spectec, I hear you about CDG. Wanted to spend time in Paris or otherwise wouldn't consider. Think I might have to do a separate trip. In postCovid era, seems to be adding complexity. Especially when these requirements change overnight. I am hoping this IATA travel pass might be the answer.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 am QR code is mandatory for entry into some countries.

I wouldn’t bother trying to obtain a QR code as chances are just because it is a QR code doesn’t make it compatible with the destination country’s verification system. Paper proof in English is your best bet.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 pm Wow. Lots of info there, JS-Elcano. Thanks so much.

I just learned our NYC doctors practicing out of NYU Langone use Epic/MyChart and I uploaded our Covid vaccination records there. in order to get the Excelsior Pass. and then a QR code. But this might not be sufficient?

Oman requires QR code to enter. Will be contacting the Consulate. One item I just ran across was the IATA travel pass, which your airline must participate in. Emirates does, and although we haven't booked our flights yet, we are probably going to book Emirates connecting through Dubai. Has anyone used this? I think I will call Emirates too.

Lots of decisions here -- whether to have a days-long layover in Dubai to see Expo and Dubai, risking a positive test- which seems a low risk due to entry requirements and high percentage of vaccinated population in UAE... Although there will be tourists at Expo...our trip in Oman is with a group and has a start and end date we don't want to risk missing. We could stop in Dubai on our return trip. I wanted to stop to adjust to the time zone and overcome jet lag too. It seems fairly easy to find a place to get a PCR test in Dubai. There's just that risk.

JS-Elcanao, I saw that bit about heading into pharmacy in France for a QR code on iirc flyer talk, and frankly I wondered if a pharmacist would have any knowledge of how to do that. When I talked to the NYU Langone helpdesk to make sure our records were uploaded and asked about their inputing info into NYS DOH and the excelsior pass, the help desk rep had not heard of the Excelsior Pass.

spectec, I hear you about CDG. Wanted to spend time in Paris or otherwise wouldn't consider. Think I might have to do a separate trip. In postCovid era, seems to be adding complexity. Especially when these requirements change overnight. I am hoping this IATA travel pass might be the answer.
Why such urgency to go to Dubai/Oman?
martint

Post by martint »

For what it’s worth, I was able to get a QR code from https://vsafe.cdc.gov/en/

I also travel with photocopies of my white paper CDC form.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Reading this thread has convinced me to keep postponing my international travel. When I travel, I want it to be stress free, and all this hustle and bustle about QR codes sounds like it would stress me out.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Springskier wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 pm Wow. Lots of info there, JS-Elcano. Thanks so much.

Just a general thought about whether to stop over in Dubai on the outbound or the inbound. Whenever I want to make an intermediate stop I prefer to schedule it on the inbound. Outbound is usually when you have schedules to meet, reservations to keep, etc. So the risk of a delay on the outbound can be more problematic in most cases, whereas a delay on the inbound just means you get home a little later or perhaps have to omit something you'd like to have done but didn't affect the overall objectives of the trip. And as you stated, mixing up Middle East COVID travel testing requirements with European travel testing requirements might work out, but it increases the chances of an oversight that might cost you $$ or time you really don't want to spend. It's a different world than it was pre-COVID. Aside from all that, I'd prefer Emirates over any other airline when going to & returning from that part of the world anyhow.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:57 pm Reading this thread has convinced me to keep postponing my international travel. When I travel, I want it to be stress free, and all this hustle and bustle about QR codes sounds like it would stress me out.
There is no hustle and bustle with QR codes as there is no internationally adopted QR standard for vaccine certification so it’s pointless trying to get a vaccine proof with QR code accepted for entering Oman until they provide some clarity around which QR standard they are expecting. Whoever published Oman’s entry requirements for foreigners likely was just conceiving of it from the perspective of travelers who got vaccinated /tested within Oman without realizing such a policy of requiring a QR code is not going to work in practice for those who vaccinate/test outside of the country.

Most of the world recognizes that a home grown QR verification system is not compatible with other countries’ electronic vaccine certification (if any) and thus accept paper-based evidence of vaccination and testing.

For example, NY excelsior pass cannot be read by Quebec restaurants using the app designed to verify Quebec-issued QR code. They can’t even verify Ontario issued codes.

Some governments like Canada are now stating to align around “ SMART Health Card” specification so hopefully there will be a widely accepted standard at some point.

Worrying about QR code compliance is not really high on the list of concerns for foreign travel. I would be more worry about testing positive while attempting to return to the US and having to stay/paying for an extra 1-2 weeks until testing negative so that the airline is willing to fly you back.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

truenorth418 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:38 am [...]
I received my vaccines from CVS in Florida. CVS offers QR code’s on their website and I obtained a QR code that way. However it was not accepted when I tried scanning it in Switzerland. I don’t think there is a one QR code fits all solution.
I think your answer is incomplete. :oops:

Without the QR code, did you get deported from Switzerland? If not, what worked? That'll help OP ... and others :sharebeer
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

an_asker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:14 am
truenorth418 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:38 am [...]
I think your answer is incomplete. :oops:

Without the QR code, did you get deported from Switzerland? If not, what worked? That'll help OP ... and others :sharebeer
Paper proof such as CDC card/immunization record.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

There is some discussion of getting QR codes on test results/vaccination records here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronav ... -code.html . The thread deals with Egypt but it might help you for Oman.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

seawolf21 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am Worrying about QR code compliance is not really high on the list of concerns for foreign travel. I would be more worry about testing positive while attempting to return to the US and having to stay/paying for an extra 1-2 weeks until testing negative so that the airline is willing to fly you back.
Oh, I worry about that, too! I have a long list of reasons not to travel at the present time.
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Many thanks all for providing such helpful information. I have some updates.

martint:
I was able to get a QR code using the link you provided: https://vsafe.cdc.gov/en/ Thank you!

I entered my name, DOB, dates shots give and type of vaccine given. However, I wasn't asked to scan and upload my vaccination card. cdc generated and assigned a registrant number that is included on my profile page. The profile page also has a QR code and also contains my name, DOB, registrant code and zip code. If I click home page it shows the dates and type of vaccine given.

The issue here-since apparently to preregister to enter Oman -one has to enter a vaccination card with a QR code is that this QR code isn't attached to the vaccination card. The only way I can get access to the code is to go to vsafe site, click already registered, get sent a secure link and then go to my profile. So I would be able to do this at the airport pre-boarding. But since you're required to preregister with Oman, this may not work.

My goal is to have that profile with the QR code and my cdc vaccination card in my iPhone wallet.

Which brings me to the comments from seawolf21: going down this rabbit hole to solve this problem, seawolf 21 and the actual experiences of other travelers who have commented here:
Quoting seawolf21:
"Just because it's a QR code doesn't make it compliant with the country's verification system. Paper proof in english is your best bet."

I went to Oman's preregister site: https://covid19.emushrif.om/ and saw the requirement was vaccination card with QR code "or be approved by the authorities in the country of departure". What is an authority? Is it the airlines? I've been researching that IATA travel pass used by some airlines, including Emirates. There was a chat feature on the Oman site and via chat presumably a consulate official said basically the US is on our list of countries whose vaccination card does not have a QR code. Upload your vaccine card and you are good to go ( I'm assuming along with proof of insurance and negative PCR test etcetera).

Of course, as I type this I'm wondering given the PCR negative Covid test with QR code required 96 0r 72 hours prior to travel if labs here are issuing these with QR codes.

But summary for other travelers: the rules are changing. Check with the consulate and the preregistration site of the country you're traveling to.
and don't assume even if you do have a QR code that that code can be read by the country you're entering. Also requirements can change while you're traveling as evidenced by truenorth418 in Switzerland. While he was there the rules changed and he had to upload his vaccine card to get a compliant QR code.

I think if I were traveling to France or Europe now, I would research that site I referenced above-diplomatie.gouv.fr- to upload my card to get a Qr code from France. Especially worth it if it would work through out Europe.

And just a comment on worrying about testing positive and worrying about having to stay longer in a hotel room. I have insurance for that, as I always have. Life happens when you travel. You can get sick, hit by a car, twist your ankle, just as you can two blocks from home. I am risk averse. Incidentally, this is not an impulsive trip. Planned in 2019. I do the research ahead of time. I will only travel to countries that take covid seriously. I evaluate entrance requirements, percentage of population tested. I am vaccinated. I will get a booster before we go. Incidentally, my H just had his antibodies tested. His second shot was March. His antibodies are off the charts.So he's definitely waiting for the booster. Still awaiting my results.

So why travel? why do birds sing? In my case. I understand others don't feel this way. I was trying to solve the puzzle before we go.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

I don't think it's so much "Why travel?" as "Why travel to a country that seems to have stricter entrance conditions" when you could go somewhere else on your "list" and then back to Oman once the entrance conditions are easier to manage.

As you mentioned France: "le chemin de moindre résistance"
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

So, I have a question for stan1 and spectec:
I've decided I want a NY Excelsior pass. Even if the QR code on that pass doesn't help with traveling abroad.Having the pass will eliminate my need to dig out my vaccination card and my DL and then replacing them securely before entering museums, Botanical Gardens etc. Also I feel as if the more I carry the vaccine card around, the greater chance there is of losing it.
I was able to upload my cdc vaccination card onto MyChart. The NYU Langone help desk told me it takes about two weeks for them to verify the card.

stan1 and spectec,
you both indicated that after you entered your cards into MyChart it generated a QR Code. How exactly did that occur? I ask because the help desk didn't have any knowledge of that.Basically, their HelpDesk hasn't been involved in that. So I was wondering if it just got generated automatically from Epic/myChart. Thanks!
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Pizzy,
Made the plans in 2019. Quite thrilled it wasn't cancelled. Actually Oman just opened up again in September. Prior to that, you had to quarantine upon arrival. Now that I have learned there is not a QR code required for US passport holders or for those vaccinated in the US, it's not going to be any different than entering France btw.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Springskier wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 am Many thanks all for providing such helpful information. I have some updates.

martint:
I was able to get a QR code using the link you provided: https://vsafe.cdc.gov/en/ Thank you!

I entered my name, DOB, dates shots give and type of vaccine given. However, I wasn't asked to scan and upload my vaccination card. cdc generated and assigned a registrant number that is included on my profile page. The profile page also has a QR code and also contains my name, DOB, registrant code and zip code. If I click home page it shows the dates and type of vaccine given.

The issue here-since apparently to preregister to enter Oman -one has to enter a vaccination card with a QR code is that this QR code isn't attached to the vaccination card. The only way I can get access to the code is to go to vsafe site, click already registered, get sent a secure link and then go to my profile. So I would be able to do this at the airport pre-boarding. But since you're required to preregister with Oman, this may not work.

My goal is to have that profile with the QR code and my cdc vaccination card in my iPhone wallet.

Which brings me to the comments from seawolf21: going down this rabbit hole to solve this problem, seawolf 21 and the actual experiences of other travelers who have commented here:
Quoting seawolf21:
"Just because it's a QR code doesn't make it compliant with the country's verification system. Paper proof in english is your best bet."

I went to Oman's preregister site: https://covid19.emushrif.om/ and saw the requirement was vaccination card with QR code "or be approved by the authorities in the country of departure". What is an authority? Is it the airlines? I've been researching that IATA travel pass used by some airlines, including Emirates. There was a chat feature on the Oman site and via chat presumably a consulate official said basically the US is on our list of countries whose vaccination card does not have a QR code. Upload your vaccine card and you are good to go ( I'm assuming along with proof of insurance and negative PCR test etcetera).

Of course, as I type this I'm wondering given the PCR negative Covid test with QR code required 96 0r 72 hours prior to travel if labs here are issuing these with QR codes.

But summary for other travelers: the rules are changing. Check with the consulate and the preregistration site of the country you're traveling to.
and don't assume even if you do have a QR code that that code can be read by the country you're entering. Also requirements can change while you're traveling as evidenced by truenorth418 in Switzerland. While he was there the rules changed and he had to upload his vaccine card to get a compliant QR code.

I think if I were traveling to France or Europe now, I would research that site I referenced above-diplomatie.gouv.fr- to upload my card to get a Qr code from France. Especially worth it if it would work through out Europe.

And just a comment on worrying about testing positive and worrying about having to stay longer in a hotel room. I have insurance for that, as I always have. Life happens when you travel. You can get sick, hit by a car, twist your ankle, just as you can two blocks from home. I am risk averse. Incidentally, this is not an impulsive trip. Planned in 2019. I do the research ahead of time. I will only travel to countries that take covid seriously. I evaluate entrance requirements, percentage of population tested. I am vaccinated. I will get a booster before we go. Incidentally, my H just had his antibodies tested. His second shot was March. His antibodies are off the charts.So he's definitely waiting for the booster. Still awaiting my results.

So why travel? why do birds sing? In my case. I understand others don't feel this way. I was trying to solve the puzzle before we go.
So this thread got me looking into what's the current state is in regards to QR codes. It is fragmented. If all you want is a QR code regardless of acceptance, then download CLEAR app (https://www.clearme.com/healthpass). It will create a QR code on the spot. The resulting QR code will point to a record stored in CLEAR's website (more on this later). It's unlikely to be accepted by any entity not listed in the app. Only government listed as accepting CLEAR QR is Hawaii and NYC.

A number of states/province/governments are aligning around SMART Health Cards (SHC) specification. It is an open standard and anyone can "issue" their own vaccine QR code. It's up to the verification app to trust the issuer in order for the QR code to be recognized.

SHC QR codes contain the actual vaccination data encrypted whereas CLEAR QR points to a record on CLEAR's website. While both are QR codes they follow very different approaches.

I performed some tests and here's what I found (by no means comprehensive):
  • Quebec VaxiCode verification app accepts NY Excelsior Pass Plus. Original NY Excelsior Pass is not SHC while NY Excelsior Pass Plus is.
  • NJ Docket QR codes are also SHC-compliant. NY verification app accepts NJ QR but Quebec app does not despite both NY and NJ QR codes following SHC-standard.
  • Ontario verification app does not recognize NY or NJ despite Ontario using SHC as it does not "trust" NJ/NY as an issuer of QR codes.
This goes back to my prior point that without knowing which QR vaccine standard and issuer Oman will accept/recognize, trying to convert the vaccine record into a QR may not yield the desired result. As for the Oman requirement "or be approved by the authorities in the country of departure," that may work for countries that have a unified country-wide standard (such as EU) but there is no one standard for the US as each state is doing their own thing. Your best bet may be to meet the requirements for the airline flying you to Oman.
Springskier wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 am So, I have a question for stan1 and spectec:
I've decided I want a NY Excelsior pass. Even if the QR code on that pass doesn't help with traveling abroad.Having the pass will eliminate my need to dig out my vaccination card and my DL and then replacing them securely before entering museums, Botanical Gardens etc. Also I feel as if the more I carry the vaccine card around, the greater chance there is of losing it.
I was able to upload my cdc vaccination card onto MyChart. The NYU Langone help desk told me it takes about two weeks for them to verify the card.

stan1 and spectec,
you both indicated that after you entered your cards into MyChart it generated a QR Code. How exactly did that occur? I ask because the help desk didn't have any knowledge of that.Basically, their HelpDesk hasn't been involved in that. So I was wondering if it just got generated automatically from Epic/myChart. Thanks!
In theory, you still have to dig out a photo ID with Excelsior. If you are mostly concern about NYC, then NYC has its own "Key to NYC" which is essentially just a photo of CDC card.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/cov ... tonyc.page
Topic Author
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Thanks seawolf21. Lots to digest there. I didn't know NJ had QR codes. When i called NJDOH rep said we don't have them yet, although NJ may issue codes in future. iirc NJ website also said that. How do you get that? easy to do if vaccinated out of state?

I do want an electronic pass to use in NYC so thanks for info/link about uploading my card.

Just wondering if you know anything about IATA. IATA is apparently generating a health pass. Emirates uses it and Air France and lots of other airlines. Think they are piloting this health pass. The airline you're flying has to use it. I looked at a youtube video describing it. I tried calling Emirates after being unable to chat with them about it. Call volume too high and was disconnected. If IATA health pass is legit, and you upload cdc pass and id such as passport, it may make checking in to fly to Oman easier. Also if I do stop in Dubai for expo inbound or outbound, it may make it easier to get the required reentry testing. It certainly looks legit, but I always vet throughly to determine if site can secure these documents with sensitive info on them.

Seems like if info I received from Oman consulate is accurate, and doesn't change before travel, it will be somewhat easy to upload cdc card and PCR test results if required to the registration site. Thanks again for all your information. I truly had no idea before I created this thread the complexity of QR codes.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Springskier wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:33 pm Thanks seawolf21. Lots to digest there. I didn't know NJ had QR codes. When i called NJDOH rep said we don't have them yet, although NJ may issue codes in future. iirc NJ website also said that. How do you get that? easy to do if vaccinated out of state?

I do want an electronic pass to use in NYC so thanks for info/link about uploading my card.

Just wondering if you know anything about IATA. IATA is apparently generating a health pass. Emirates uses it and Air France and lots of other airlines. Think they are piloting this health pass. The airline you're flying has to use it. I looked at a youtube video describing it. I tried calling Emirates after being unable to chat with them about it. Call volume too high and was disconnected. If IATA health pass is legit, and you upload cdc pass and id such as passport, it may make checking in to fly to Oman easier. Also if I do stop in Dubai for expo inbound or outbound, it may make it easier to get the required reentry testing. It certainly looks legit, but I always vet throughly to determine if site can secure these documents with sensitive info on them.

Seems like if info I received from Oman consulate is accurate, and doesn't change before travel, it will be somewhat easy to upload cdc card and PCR test results if required to the registration site. Thanks again for all your information. I truly had no idea before I created this thread the complexity of QR codes.
NJ partnered with Docket app to retrieve COVID vaccine records.
https://covid19.nj.gov/pages/vaxrecords

However, similar to NY, you need to get your CDC card keyed into the state's immunization registry. There's really no incentive and only downside risk for a medical provider to create a vaccination record in the registry for a vaccine they didn't administered.