Android Messages Problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Android Messages Problem

Post by BashDash »

Hi all,
Having what I believe is a messaging issue with just one contact; my wife. I am able to text her but not receive texts from her. I think it has something to do with the chat feature but not sure. We restarted our phones because that is my usual technological fix. Thanks for any insights!
tortoise84

Re: Android Messages Problem

Post by tortoise84 »

I haven't used an Android phone for a couple of years, but back when I did, I had a problem like yours which I believe was because I had too many messages (thousands) so I had to delete them. Also, I think there's a setting to only keep messages for a certain length of time.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks! I just deleted a bunch.... looking into network settings now.....
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

You might want to check if you can turn off advanced feature on chat.

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

You could be missing messages due to RCS enabled on your chat.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for the suggestion! When I disabled that feature it didn't work. However when my wife disabled it as well texts started to work again.

Why is this happening?

Is there any way other than this to fix the issue. The chat feature doesn't really matter to me but my wife needs it.
Without it every group text shows up seperately.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Basic SMS doesn't support a chat like that. Apple users are used to it in their iMessage world, as are those who use things like WhatsApp primarily.

RCS will bring a bunch of new texting features to Android but its not rolling out all at once. However, I am surprised that her phone isn't failing more gracefully than simply dropping messages.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

BashDash wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:49 am Thanks for the suggestion! When I disabled that feature it didn't work. However when my wife disabled it as well texts started to work again.

Why is this happening?

Is there any way other than this to fix the issue. The chat feature doesn't really matter to me but my wife needs it.
Without it every group text shows up seperately.
When RCS is enabled, does her group receive her texts? If you are not getting her text, I suppose some of her group won't get either.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Have your wife go to send you a text message, but don’t send one yet. Press the 3 dots in the upper right to get to details (settings) for you. Turn ON “Only send SMS and …”. Then send you a message. She will need to do this for any others that cannot get her chat messages.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks for the replies! This is what worked.

Disabled chat features on both phones.
Restart phone.
Enable chat features again.

Thanks!!!!!