Durable pair of jeans with no logos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
d0gerz

Durable pair of jeans with no logos

Post by d0gerz »

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a pair of jeans that
- is durable. I would like a pair that can tolerate > 5 years of near daily wear
- has no visible logos on the outside, which for jeans really means the big one around the belt loop in the back. I suppose I can take a seam ripper and remove the logo but would prefer it if they came without one.

The last 10 years or so the jeans I've bought have been from the 'fast fashion' brands e.g. Uniqlo and H&M. They fit the no logo requirement. I usually go for the slim fit style. They are very comfortable as they have some stretch in the fabric but I think this is what makes them not last that long. Around the 2-3 year mark they start to rip around the knees, at which point they get converted to yard work/oil change jeans. I don't wash them that often and when they do get washed I always air dry. But they still seem to have a limited lifespan.
bob60014

Re: Durable pair of jeans with no logos

Post by bob60014 »

None of the jeans I've purchased from Lands End have had a tag. Seem to last 2-3 years which, to me, is a reasonable time.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

My last pair of jeans died last year of old age. It has been 10-12 years since I last wore "Jorts". Jean Shorts. Jorts were in for a long time.

Prana Stretch Zion regular fit pants are all I stock now for daily wear. The shorts version in the summer.

No logos could be difficult. Maybe a fleet supply store? Durable and fashion don't usually mix with jeans.

Unbranded brand jeans are $130+ so that may not be a good option.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I bought 1 pair of Amazon Essentials jeans for $13.58 in Feb 2020 and 3 more for for $9.78/pair in May of 2020. I can't speak to a 5 year longevity since I haven't had them that long, but so far so good. No labels. I just pulled up the order with a link to "buy again" and they're up to $28/pair so I'm not sure what the story was in the $9.78 price.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:28 pm
- has no visible logos on the outside, which for jeans really means the big one around the belt loop in the back. I suppose I can take a seam ripper and remove the logo but would prefer it if they came without one.
I can't contain my curiosity and have to ask ... why no logos?
mrc

Post by mrc »

Can't go wrong with Carhartt, but they will have a postage stamp sized logo on the right rear pocket.

For brands like Wrangler, with the label on the waistband, a belt covers most of it. There's always a seam ripper.

Duluth Trading has heavy jeans, again with the waistband label though.

Which is more important? Price, durability, or label free?
Last edited by mrc on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Kirkland. (Costco store brand)
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

In general, the jeans-wearing people in this country want logos for the prestige factor, so the manufacturers are only too happy to comply with those wishes, and of course it is free advertising.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

"Unbranded Brand" should fit the requirement. And yes, you want "real" denim without stretch material if you want durability.

Wash as little as possible and they will last forever. You will want several pairs though, to allow them to completely dry out between wears (much like shoes.)
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I wore jeans for work for decades. I finally learned in my final years that cotton isn't your friend. I wish I would have discovered it earlier. I wore overalls over the shorts/pants so wear wasn't a problem. I broke out some old Levis the other day for some yard work. I immmediately was sweating and remembering the days.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:52 pm In general, the jeans-wearing people in this country want logos for the prestige factor
Eh, probably not that many of them. Most people just buy whatever Levi's or Wrangler fit best and don't care.

The logo really only matters when you're buying the $200+ jeans.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:23 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:52 pm In general, the jeans-wearing people in this country want logos for the prestige factor
Eh, probably not that many of them. Most people just buy whatever Levi's or Wrangler fit best and don't care.

You're talking like an older adult. Think back to your younger days. I am old enough to remember when the kids with Levis considered themselves to have better jeans than the kids with Lee or Wrangler. Thirty years later, I watched my own kids go through that same jeans competition with their peers.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:41 pm
You're talking like an older adult. Think back to your younger days. I am old enough to remember when the kids with Levis considered themselves to have better jeans than the kids with Lee or Wrangler. Thirty years later, I watched my own kids go through that same jeans competition with their peers.
Perhaps. I'm an old soul for 35... I know!

Come to think of it though, my belt covers up the logo block anyway.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:44 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:41 pm
Perhaps. I'm an old soul for 35... I know!
Since your name is dukeblue219, I'm sure you're aware of the contributions of Durham NC to the jeans industry:
https://www.museumofdurhamhistory.org/b ... lue-denim/
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

Another vote for Lands End...
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

huge fan of LL Bean
FIBoston

Post by FIBoston »

Wait what do you mean by logo? Like, a big dedazzlement on the butt? Or are you even opposed to the tiny little tag that sometimes sits within the belt area?

And I myself am pretty young, and have two younger brothers who are firmly in the young and looking to be cool category and I literally have never heard of anybody saying, "you know what's cool? A pair of jeans with a big ole logo on it."

I'm so confused by this thread.

Also, JCrew's jeans are pretty good. Stretchy material, a range of fits, and have always lasted me for years.
Topic Author
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

oldfatguy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 pm
d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:28 pm
I can't contain my curiosity and have to ask ... why no logos?
Just a preference I have with clothes in general. I don't like visible logos. I'm already paying the company for the merchandise, why give them free advertising as well?
Topic Author
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

FIBoston wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:18 pm Wait what do you mean by logo? Like, a big dedazzlement on the butt? Or are you even opposed to the tiny little tag that sometimes sits within the belt area?
I mean this tag on the belt area:
FIBoston wrote: Also, JCrew's jeans are pretty good. Stretchy material, a range of fits, and have always lasted me for years.
I'm interested to know, how many years?
Topic Author
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

mrc wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:49 pm Which is more important? Price, durability, or label free?
Hmm if I'm being honest, price, no label, and comfort. The jeans I currently have already have this covered. But now they're ripped. :D Durability would be a plus. And if they can be durable without sacrificing too much comfort that would be ideal. (I'm probably chasing unicorns.)
Topic Author
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

fortunefavored wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:04 pm "Unbranded Brand" should fit the requirement. And yes, you want "real" denim without stretch material if you want durability.

Wash as little as possible and they will last forever. You will want several pairs though, to allow them to completely dry out between wears (much like shoes.)
Thanks for the recommendation! Wasn't aware of this brand. They seem a bit pricy but will look into it more.
Topic Author
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

punkinhead wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:26 pm I bought 1 pair of Amazon Essentials jeans for $13.58 in Feb 2020 and 3 more for for $9.78/pair in May of 2020. I can't speak to a 5 year longevity since I haven't had them that long, but so far so good. No labels. I just pulled up the order with a link to "buy again" and they're up to $28/pair so I'm not sure what the story was in the $9.78 price.
Thank you. Those are great prices, even the current one. I was hoping someone with a five-year-old pair of Amazon Basics would chime in but yeah they probably haven't been around that long have they.
rob

Post by rob »

I alway put my belt over that tag... so not sure you can see much of it... Otherwise, as you say take something to it and remove before you start - so it's the same color as the rest of pants.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Be aware that Amazon Basics isn't an equivalent to something like Kirkland. The quality varies tremendously from product to product and they switch suppliers often. For batteries, garbage bags, or similar commodity items they're fine. For anything where quality matters... I have learned to avoid.

You may get a great pair of jeans but any review stating they've lasted 5 years would have to be taken with a grain of salt. Those specific products probably don't exist any more.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

I have two pairs from Unbranded. So far I’m happy with them
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I wear Old Navy slim fit black straight jeans with built in flex. I am far from slim, but I like the almost snug fit in the legs. My only problem with them is that they fade. I bought about 5 or 6 pairs when I got them for the unheard price of $12 each a few years ago. Since then, they have come out with a “never fade” version. When they get too faded, they become work in the yard pants. I haven’t worn any holes in them, but they have frayed around the front pockets and a hole once developed in the right front pocket, probably from car keys. This has happened a lot to me in the past, no matter the brand. No logos except on the button at the top of the zipper and on the tiny metal tabs on the pockets.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Would have agreed until I recently learned about life long Wrangler wearers, and I’m talking about old school ranchers and cowboys not teen trend chasers, looking high and low for the wranglers with the old school leather patch. I guess Wrangler abandoned the patch so now that’s all people want.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Wranglers. Long lasting & you can’t beat the price. Great value!
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Rural King house brand is hard to beat at $10. I don't care if they do wear out in a few years.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Another vote for Carhartt.
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

I've got 2 pairs of ariat jeans I rotate thru. as previously mentioned, definitely don't wash every wear. not gonna tell you how often I wash them for fear of judgement, but suffice it to say, it's certainly not every wear.

I'm high-waisted and long-legged, so they had my weird sizes, and have held up marvelously well at year 3 for a $40 pair of denim. Only ever had one pair of their boots; no complaints there either, but an N=1 may not tell the whole story.
If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I brought Van Heusen Jeans for men at Woodbury Commons outlet for $9.99.

The store is closing down and they needed to get rid of their inventory.

At that price better than used jeans, lol.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Can't beat a pair of Carhartts. There is just something about getting your clothes at a Tractor Supply store. :beer
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

I wear Carhartt around the house and for work I don't care what happens to them in.

I wear All American Jeans Co. (https://www.allamericanclothing.com) when I go out. There logo is a under the belt patch that's smaller than a standard belt. They also do a fux leather belt loop patch with the USA flag if you want, I go with the flag but it can also go under the belt.

There not cheap Chinese $9.99 pants but they are 15oz. denim made in the USA by a small business owner.

EDIT: They have about the same 5-8 year durability as Carhartt.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

TT wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:01 pm Durable jeans are made with a 100% heavyweight 3 x 1 twill fabric weave commonly referred to as rigid denim. The are sold unwashed and are very stiff when you get them. You need to pay attention when washing otherwise they may streak. Best to wash them seperately in a delicate wash and a slow spin cycle. Stretch them when them come out of the washer and line dry only. If you want added durability look for jeans that have 85% cotton and 15% Codura in the weave. One step further and get some rigid double front jeans. Also, the fabric weight of durable jeans is usually 13.5 to 16 oz fabric. Many popular jeans like Levis are 10.5 to 12.5 oz. fabric. I think the best value in jeans are Wrangler Rigid Cowboy cut 13 MWZ that are made with 14.75 oz denim and full retail is $29.00.
Yeah. If you know what to look for, I wonder if you couldn’t find some really nice denim at your local thrift store.. seriously.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Most denim pants at all prices, and especially more at the higher end, lack the branding patch.

Most brands sell multiple models using different denim with different weight/thicknesses, composition, from different mills, etc. It is not generalizable that brand xx makes more durable jeans than brand yy.

If you are finding you the fabric is actually worn out after 3 years, then replace it. (If durability is your only requirement).

The $30/3 year you are getting from HM/Uniqlo is 2.7cents/year. Not the worst consumable rate in your oufe. Buying $100 jeans wont guarantee an improvement on that.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

It's certainly possible to mend your jeans to give you years of extra life.. Iron on patches for the knees are an easy fix.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Not sure what you mean by "5 years of near daily wear". Of the same pair?
I wear jeans most days, cycle through about 3 pairs at time, Levi's or Wranglers tend to have the knees wear down and the pant cuffs start to fray a bit too much somewhere at around 2 years.
I'm interested in what suggestions you get. When I've bought jeans that were cheaper (often without logos - like Walmart's "George" brand) I've had more problems with the seams being weak and prone to ripping at a seam :annoyed
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
A0168472

Post by A0168472 »

J Crew 100% cotton. No stretch, No logos, and very durable. Expensive but worth it IMO.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Costco/Kirkland jeans still have the leather tag in the belt line. They have also struggled with supplier changes over the years. I used to love them because they were cheap, durable, fit well and came in big/tall sizes. I was told by someone at Costco that they were made by Levi Strauss back then. They switched suppliers and the fit changed drastically. The reviews on the website also reflect this.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

If walking billboard and branding is a concern why not remove all logos?

If I were you I would LBYMs and remove all branding logos and buy the least expensive jeans and many of them.

Photographers do that with camera brands by taping logos and brands.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

A) doesn’t a shirt cover the logo?
B) wouldn’t a belt cover the logo?
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I buy jeans from the thrift store for $5-6 per pair. Sometimes cheaper. I had about 7 pairs for the last 10 years and the only reason I'm getting rid of some of them is that I've lost weight and had to go down a size. So I donate the old ones back to the thrift store and bought an equivalent number of replacement pairs that should last years unless I keep losing weight. I find the secret to having them last is to not wash them unless they're actually dirty/smelly.
Last edited by Elsebet on Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:26 pm Another vote for Carhartt.
+One more for Carhartt, and I just looked, as I have quite a few pair, it looks like you can unstitch the leather patch if it bothers you. But really, durability, I would go with the overalls while you are at it, more pockets, and no belt needed.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

d0gerz wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:45 pm
mrc wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:49 pm Which is more important? Price, durability, or label free?
Hmm if I'm being honest, price, no label, and comfort. The jeans I currently have already have this covered. But now they're ripped. :D Durability would be a plus. And if they can be durable without sacrificing too much comfort that would be ideal. (I'm probably chasing unicorns.)
As I mentioned up-thread, the Walmart "George" brand are cheap, have no label, and are comfortable... but in my experience they have lousy durability.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

ClevrChico wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:23 am It's certainly possible to mend your jeans to give you years of extra life.. Iron on patches for the knees are an easy fix.
Does your spouse allow you to appear in public wearing jeans with iron on patches?
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

The most durable pair of jeans I've ever owned is a pair of nudie jeans -- not because the jeans were outlandishly hard-wearing, but because the company offers free repairs to their jeans from their retail stores. I've had them repaired about three times at no cost. In terms of jean-lifetime / cost I'm not sure if they compare well to much cheaper brands, but I managed to pick up my pair in a second hand shop for around 1/10th retail price. They don't pass the no-logo requirement.

literary/fashion tangential rabbit hole: no-logo minimalist fashion pops up in william gibson's 2003 novel Pattern Recognition
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

Schaefer Outfitter. Made in Texas, classic "cowboy fit". I love these jeans!
https://schaeferoutfitter.com/collectio ... hand-jeans
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

Check out the items at Sierra Trading Post, if you
reside near the stores you could obtain returns and closeouts.

https://www.sierra.com/men~d~5284/?osid ... s-_-081020

Edit jeans

https://www.sierra.com/all/mens-jeans~d ... owestPrice
Last edited by retire2022 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.