Just out! Roomba J7+ Anyone tried it? Worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lillycat

Just out! Roomba J7+ Anyone tried it? Worth it?

Post by lillycat »

Ola Friends! Sadly, my ROOMBA I8+ from Costco went on strike. Not sure why, but it declined to recharge and keep cleaning. My smarty pants DH who has “the Knack” checked it out and said it was dead. We have a largish one story home, 2 cats and three pups. Maybe ROOMBA had had enough? HAH! Thankfully, Costco refunded the price and it was less than a year old.

And now the tease….ROOMBA J7+ just came out and it’s supposed to be better, of course. It has a light upfront and avoids most obstacles I’m told. It costs $849 - yikes! And the Costco I8+ Is just $699 and includes the enhanced battery. But the new J7+ also has a lower profile dirt bin. The whole unit is much shorter and more attractive than the ungainly I8. Esthetics…sigh.

And here’s a new racket. Roomba will let you “lease” the J7 for an upfront $99 a month, and a $29 monthly fee which gets you the initial unit and all supplies as you use them up and will mail you more. Lots of terms, of course, but in 3 years, they say you can pay another small fee and get the latest new unit and continue the plan. I’m frugalish, of course, so that does not attract me so much. Am I missing something? This part was a PSA.

Now, has anyone tried the new J7+? Is it better? Please report back! I have looked online for reviews, but so far have just found “reviews” that are really some type of affiliated ad link as well as a few Amazon ones. And I was kinda waiting to see if Costco would put the I8+ on sale for the holidays. I got an ad saying the I4 will be marked down soon. But it is not as functional.

Any advice, ideas, feedback? We do need help keeping the fur down in the family home. Thank you!
Orangutan

Re: Just out! Roomba J7+ Anyone tried it? Worth it?

Post by Orangutan »

I own a $34 vacuum. It is called the Bissell Featherstick. Please return this robot vacuum. I also get exercise when I do my vacuuming.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Why vacuum when it just gets dirty again? This is a quote from my teenage son.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I have the I8+. It's less than a year old. Does a nice job. My entire house is porcelain tile, with 2 large hairy dogs.

I get my exercise from daily 5-mile runs + 18 holes of golf, not vacuuming floors.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

Kagord wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am Why vacuum when it just gets dirty again? This is a quote from my teenage son.
I'm struggling to find a legit counter-argument. :sharebeer
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

My $700+ Roomba gave up the ghost after a few years. The light sensor got confused and it would no longer do hardwood or tile floors, which is most of my house. I completely disassembled it to clean the sensor covers but that didn't help. I threw it out and bought a $150 Eufy. It cleans every bit as well. I don't see why a robot vacuum needs to connect to WiFi and talk to the mother ship so the high dollar Roombas don't make sense to me.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Gundy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am I have the I8+. It's less than a year old. Does a nice job. My entire house is porcelain tile, with 2 large hairy dogs.

I get my exercise from daily 5-mile runs + 18 holes of golf, not vacuuming floors.
I can vacuum my entire studio apartment in 5-10 minutes with the featherstick. What additional value does a robot vacuum provide? And It is not the only exercise I get. It is simply a good way to get the blood moving before I go to the gym and bench press 225.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Thank you for the feedback about the J7+ doing a good job for you Gundy. Our home is all tile too.

And I hadn’t thought of the Eufy option Punkinhead. But, yes! I too agree that vacuums shouldn’t need to have WIFi to clean the floor, should they?
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

At no point did the OP ask for opinions on the utility of robot vacuums versus manual vacuums, so maybe we could stop that chatter. If OP wants a robot vacuum and can afford it, there's no reason they can't get one.

My husband has been itching for a robot vacuum and has watched hours of youtube videos about them! He's very interested in the J7+, but we don't have any personal experience with it at this point.

I don't think we knew about the subscription service. That makes it sound like cell phone contracts or car leases - they're rarely the most cost effective, but if you want the newest technology and can afford it, it makes it easy and you don't have to worry about repairs.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

lillycat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:19 am Ola Friends! Sadly, my ROOMBA I8+ from Costco went on strike. Not sure why, but it declined to recharge and keep cleaning. My smarty pants DH who has “the Knack” checked it out and said it was dead.
Why didn’t the smarty pants DH replace the battery on the unit you have?

Of course maybe you do and it turns out to be the charging station.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Orangutan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:22 am I own a $34 vacuum. It is called the Bissell Featherstick. Please return this robot vacuum. I also get exercise when I do my vacuuming.
Mom had this too and it worked well. Surprising for $34.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Orangutan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:50 am
Gundy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am I have the I8+. It's less than a year old. Does a nice job. My entire house is porcelain tile, with 2 large hairy dogs.

I can vacuum my entire studio apartment in 5-10 minutes with the featherstick. What additional value does a robot vacuum provide? And It is not the only exercise I get. It is simply a good way to get the blood moving before I go to the gym and bench press 225.
My mother has a Roomba. It barely does a decent job. At the end of the day, it's just easier and better to use a broom or something else.
It's another toy gadget some like to watch though.
Last edited by squirm on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paradise

Post by Paradise »

I'm not convinced that the more expensive vacuums are significantly better than the lower end ones (less than $200).

My thought process is that robot vacuums are not meant to be perfect and pick up everything... if it automates 95%+ of the mess cleanup to push out your 1 big cleaning using an actual vacuum to once a month, it's worth it. I've had my original Roomba for about 10 years now. I just replace parts as they break.. changed the battery twice (like $20-30 on amazon over the years). Still runs hard and picks up a ton of dirty daily.

Here are replacement batteries for Roombas (check compatibility): https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ROOMBA+I8%2B ... nb_sb_noss . Don't be afraid of the 3rd party batteries to save some money.
50% VTI | 20% VXUS | 20% BND | 10% QQQ
BigWhiteboard

Post by BigWhiteboard »

I don't have feedback on the robot itself. I own an s9+ and it's terrible, but the version before it was great. Was thinking about upgrading to the J7 too.

However, I would not go with their lease program. Read it's full requirements. It's $99 a month, then $29/month after. At 36 months (meaning you've paid nearly $1200 for an $800) you get an option to upgrade. HOWEVER, if you choose to end your membership at any time, even after the 36 months, they disable your hardware even though you own it.

See this:

So even if you decide after the 36 months, having paid for the robot you no longer want to continue paying the monthly leasing fee, you don't get that option. You MUST continue to pay to have an operating robot.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

BigWhiteboard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am I don't have feedback on the robot itself. I own an s9+ and it's terrible, but the version before it was great. Was thinking about upgrading to the J7 too.

However, I would not go with their lease program. Read it's full requirements. It's $99 a month, then $29/month after. At 36 months (meaning you've paid nearly $1200 for an $800) you get an option to upgrade. HOWEVER, if you choose to end your membership at any time, even after the 36 months, they disable your hardware even though you own it.

See this:

So even if you decide after the 36 months, having paid for the robot you no longer want to continue paying the monthly leasing fee, you don't get that option. You MUST continue to pay to have an operating robot.

Holy cow! That is quite the racket, isn’t it?
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Paradise wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 am I'm not convinced that the more expensive vacuums are significantly better than the lower end ones (less than $200).

My thought process is that robot vacuums are not meant to be perfect and pick up everything... if it automates 95%+ of the mess cleanup to push out your 1 big cleaning using an actual vacuum to once a month, it's worth it. I've had my original Roomba for about 10 years now. I just replace parts as they break.. changed the battery twice (like $20-30 on amazon over the years). Still runs hard and picks up a ton of dirty daily.

Here are replacement batteries for Roombas (check compatibility): https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ROOMBA+I8%2B ... nb_sb_noss . Don't be afraid of the 3rd party batteries to save some money.
Thank you! As an aside, most of you know this, but COSTCO is a great place to buy almost everything. For example, my ROOMBA died before it’s first birthday. Even if it was the battery, I prefer to return it to COSTCO and get my $$$ back to unassembling the vacuum, buying a new battery and installing it in the old ROOMBA. That’s why I am considering what vacuum to buy next.
lairdb

Post by lairdb »

BigWhiteboard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am I don't have feedback on the robot itself. I own an s9+ and it's terrible, but the version before it was great. Was thinking about upgrading to the J7 too.
We have two 960s, one on each floor. Aside from replacing the battery after a couple of years, they've been rock-solid. (There's some software features I'd like, but that's relatively trivial.)

Very much would like the self-emptying thing -- but your reliability feedback is interesting. I wonder if the J7 has the bugs worked out from the I7.
BigWhiteboard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 am However, I would not go with their lease program. Read it's full requirements. It's $99 a month, then $29/month after. At 36 months (meaning you've paid nearly $1200 for an $800) you get an option to upgrade. HOWEVER, if you choose to end your membership at any time, even after the 36 months, they disable your hardware even though you own it.
[...]
Don't forget consumables. We've been happy with the aftermarket filters etc., and aftermarket battery -- but your comparison should include TCO, which probably makes it closer to competitive not quite as bad. Managing post-warranty risk also gets some value.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I can vacuum my entire studio apartment in 5-10 minutes with the featherstick. What additional value does a robot vacuum provide?
You are not the target audience. I don't have a riding mower in my 0.20 acre plot. Doesn't mean riding mowers aren't a worthy product...
BigWhiteboard

Post by BigWhiteboard »

lairdb wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:14 am
We have two 960s, one on each floor. Aside from replacing the battery after a couple of years, they've been rock-solid. (There's some software features I'd like, but that's relatively trivial.)

Very much would like the self-emptying thing -- but your reliability feedback is interesting. I wonder if the J7 has the bugs worked out from the I7.
Not just my feedback, check out the reviews on roomba's website itself, or best buy. The s9's are a terrible product. They're dependent on lighting conditions (probably why the J7 now includes a light) and their navigation is just hot garbage. They get lost all the time, or "stuck" somewhere. I can't tell you the number of times I've had it tell me it's "stuck" and I go and rescue it and it's sitting in the middle of the room, nothing near it. It's dust bin sensors are so bad, that they finally released a change in the app to allow you to override it. They're optical sensors in the corners of the bin. So the slightest bit of dust that stays stuck in the corner after emptying makes it think it's full. It randomly deletes it's map, but keeps it's schedule and then complains it can't find rooms. It's mapping gets really terrible over time, it had turned my house into a hodgepodge of L shaped angled walls, none of them touching. I probably had to go rescue it once or twice per run from software issues.

For the past two months we've had them disabled because they deleted their maps again, and it can't complete a mapping run because it thinks there are multiple base stations for it to return to. It actually creates 2 maps with three total base stations any time it's told to do a mapping run. It's been easier to hand vacuum. We've had an email going with their support about it's issues, but they take weeks to respond with "try to close the blinds before running it" or some such nonsense that makes no difference and then radio silence.
BrendanP

Post by BrendanP »

punkinhead wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 am My $700+ Roomba gave up the ghost after a few years. The light sensor got confused and it would no longer do hardwood or tile floors, which is most of my house. I completely disassembled it to clean the sensor covers but that didn't help. I threw it out and bought a $150 Eufy. It cleans every bit as well. I don't see why a robot vacuum needs to connect to WiFi and talk to the mother ship so the high dollar Roombas don't make sense to me.
I've also had good luck using the much cheaper Eufy
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Looks interesting. I hope some J7 owners chime in. My family has owned Roombas from nearly the start of Roombas. I second the "buy it at Costco" comments. We did return one Roomba prior to one year due to operational problems years ago.

I think that IRobot has done a good job at incremental improvements over the years. Sounds like they stumbled a bit on the S9 model though. The new rubber brushes and system for avoiding pet hair tangles are quite significant improvements over the past brushes.

We don't have the self-emptying type system but to me, the bins on those systems don't look big enough to save much time. We are on a schedule of cleaning the Roomba every other night. We run ours daily due to having a couple of heavy shedder dogs. Emptying and cleaning take maybe 2 minutes. The self-empty Roombas would still have to have their brushes cleaned from time to time if you have pets that shed.

A couple of maintenance tips:
If your Roomba isn't charging try cleaning the contacts on your charger and the vacuum. About once a month or so we wipe the contacts with a lens wipe and clean up oxides with a pencil eraser. That has cured several charging problems for us. This has worked even though the contacts "looked" clean.

If needed, changing the battery takes roughly 5-10 minutes and a Philips screwdriver. Very easy and a good way to stretch your investment. Be sure to buy the right battery because they have changed over the years.

Third-party filters and wall brushes (the three armed things) have worked well for us. We buy the real Roomba brushes when needed though. They seem to work a little better.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:25 am
I can vacuum my entire studio apartment in 5-10 minutes with the featherstick. What additional value does a robot vacuum provide?
You are not the target audience. I don't have a riding mower in my 0.20 acre plot. Doesn't mean riding mowers aren't a worthy product...
I am confident that if I lived in a 5000sq ft home, I would still not use a Roomba. The Bissell Featherstick and my legs can handle it. I just returned from a Manhattan spin class. I train to be able to complete my own tasks.

Further, I do not want a robot going room to room collecting data and taking pictures of myself or my guests. Nor can the Roomba climb stairs.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

BrendanP wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 pm
punkinhead wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:42 am My $700+ Roomba gave up the ghost after a few years. The light sensor got confused and it would no longer do hardwood or tile floors, which is most of my house. I completely disassembled it to clean the sensor covers but that didn't help. I threw it out and bought a $150 Eufy. It cleans every bit as well. I don't see why a robot vacuum needs to connect to WiFi and talk to the mother ship so the high dollar Roombas don't make sense to me.
I've also had good luck using the much cheaper Eufy
And I’ve been pretty happy with the <$200 iLife.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Let’s just answer the original question and not get into a manual vacuum debate. If you have a review of the Roomba then please provide it.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I never understand folks answering these bot questions and not having a bot.

Anyhow - I can't live w/o them - I've had bots for the last 8+ years.

I've had two Neatos D5 and D3 - the D5 finally died - and I was going to get a Roomba - but went with the better reviewed: Roborock S4MAX - decent price - I'm very happy with it. I use it and the Neato D3 daily - m-f - the each cover @1200 sq feet and always have a full bin of dust.

I love them and the Roborock is light years ahead of the Neato - but I've made the Neato work with a duct tape fix.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Although replacement parts are expensive, it's worth testing the voltage on the battery pack. A new one might put your unit back into service at minimal cost.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I have 2 EUFY 11s. Pretty basic, very quiet. After a few years battery starts to wear down. Probably about $150 each. For $600 you could have 4 EUFYs.
Beleiber

Post by Beleiber »

We bought the Eufy by Anker, BoostIQ RoboVac 30 in 2018.

Still going strong on original batteries. Does a great job. When it dies we will replace with another Eufy. Much better value than Roomba, for us.

On sale at Amazon for $149.99
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

OP here. Thanks for all the ideas guys! I woke up remembering that the ROOMBA i4 will be going on sale in a few days at COSTCO for maybe $280? It has the enhanced battery but of course does not dock and resume. Another maybe good enough for now decision if I am not bold enough to go the the spendy fancy versions now. And yes! The Eufys might be another good option.

But I’d still love to hear from some more J7 owners about the new ROOMBA unit. Anyone? Thanks again!
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Well drats! Just got the latest COSTCO holiday flyer in the mail. And NO! Roombas listed. Not even the I8+. Hmm...
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

lillycat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:19 am Ola Friends! Sadly, my ROOMBA I8+ from Costco went on strike. Not sure why, but it declined to recharge and keep cleaning. My smarty pants DH who has “the Knack” checked it out and said it was dead.
"The Knack"
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I use a Neato D7 robot vacuum [bought in Apr 2021].

I think the Neato D7 is way better than my old Roomba 880 [bought in 2015], mostly because it has better suction and picks up more dirt.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

One Ping wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:58 pm
"The Knack"
YES! I love that YouTube. And I have shared it with so many friends over the years. Makes me giggle!
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Ola! Yes, the Roomba I# is now on sale for $269.99 at COSTCO. Not as functional, but a better price for sure. I sure wish COSTCO would carry the
J8+. But they do have the i8+ for $699.

And I discovered a great ROOMBA forum to scan. REDDIT.com has a ROOMBA section with the geekiest most sincere posters ever!
Lots of great info in the threads to ponder.
Topic Author
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

Hallelujah! Glory be.

Thanks to BH, I heard that the Roomba J7+ was marked down to $699 at lots of places.
And! AMEX users had an offer to get a $100 rebate after spending $500 or more on the IROBOT website.

So, I pulled the trigger and got the J7 for $650 with tax after the AMEX rebate.
And Rhonda has now run thru my 3000 square foot one story home twice to learn its layout
And not gotten stuck once! It’s a miracle. We have tile and wood floors, and Rhonda is killing it for us.

Me So happy.