Did I get a good deal on tires?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kenkat

Re: Did I get a good deal on tires?

Post by Kenkat »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:39 pm
RobLyons wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 pm Usually around 35psi +/- 5psi for these small commuter vehicles.
Fusion is a "small commuter vehicle?" I thought it was the largest sedan Ford produced in recent years?
Well it’s no Crown Vic.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Devil's Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:01 pm
tj wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm I've never heard of replacing less than all 4 tires.
Really?
FWIW, I'm over 60 and in all the vehicles I've ever owned, I've never replaced all 4 tires at once. I understand that some AWD require it but that's the exception, not the norm.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Yes, great deal.

Air them up based on sticker on car unless you changed tire size.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:33 pm
RobLyons wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 pm Usually around 35psi +/- 5psi for these small commuter vehicles.
Fusion is a "small commuter vehicle?" I thought it was the largest sedan Ford produced in recent years?
Well it’s no Crown Vic.
I wasn't including that in "recent years", since it's been out of production for so long (the consumer variety even longer than the fleet versions.) Maybe fans of the previous-era larger full-sized Fords referred to Panther models as "small commuter vehicles" too.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

That was a good deal.

I'm a life-long car guy, and I never heard of Barum. So I learned something there. It's an old European brand that belongs to Continental.

Use the tire pressure recommended by the car. On the sticker.
This time is the same
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

My rocketship demands a steady diet of high-performance rubber, so I typically pounce on a name-brand discontinued set for roughly 50% off. Bargain tires would most likely explode. Shhh. Don't tell the guys.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

mggray17 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:02 pm
Californiastate wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:50 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:55 pm
Californiastate wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:37 pm Read your owner’s manual for vehicle specific information.
For PSI?
Yes
The owner's manual will direct you to the tire decal inside the door. At least the owner's manual explains how to use the information.....

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford ... bled=False
Use the PSI on the door decal. The pressure shown on the tire is normally the maximum allowable, not the pressure for normal use. As a matter of fact, even with heavier than normal loads you would typically never inflate to the maximum pressure.

FYI, inflating to maximum pressure would often cause abnormally fast treadwear in the center of the tire.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

I drive a lot and one thing I have learned in my life

don't mess around with cheap tires

I always get Michelin tire .. bridgestone is good too
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

lazybones18 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:33 pm I drive a lot and one thing I have learned in my life

How about General tire? Any good?

I have replaced all 4s so far. They age out same time. That's what it is.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Metsfan91 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 pm
lazybones18 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:33 pm I drive a lot and one thing I have learned in my life

General tires are good.

You’ll hear a ton of people are hating about Michelin, but I don’t like them. They’re too soft and wear out very fast. All the major brands make fine tires.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

The Czech Republic makes some pretty good stuff usually. The company was bought by Continental in the early '90s. Continental is German fwiw. And that's about all I learned about them standing around tire shops.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

I have always been a fan of Michelin tires also, but they're not the only decent tire out there.
When commuting 25k mi (+15K personal use) per year I went through a lot of tires over the years and tried all different manufacturers.
I found at that time Michelin was my favorite for all the usual factors, ie ride quality, handling, noise, etc.

I put Michelin on my Silverado when I wanted to replace the OEM junk tires. I was warned that Michelin tends to dry rot after several years.
I don't drive it a lot, but after about 30K miles and 10 years they are dry rotted (probably started at 5 years) in the sidewalls, tread, etc.
Going in for some Cooper tires next week.

I have 2012 Camaro SS that had Pirelli's from the factory. These looked brand new due to being garage kept and only about 5K miles on them. Replaced only due to the age of the Pirelli's and the spirited driving of the car. I just put some BF Goodrich's on it. Read many posts in the tires section of the Camaro5 forum and people highly recommended these for this car.

I have a 2017 Buick Lacrosse, that came with Continental tires. When time to replace them I looked at all the usual brands and different model of Continental was highly recommended and have been happy with them.

So while, Michelin has been a favorite of mine, my three most recent purchases did not include them. I thought I went with the best option I could find for each vehicle at the time.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

mhc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:17 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:34 pm
tj wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm I've never heard of replacing less than all 4 tires.
Back tires are at 9 and 6 tread level.
9 and 6 means something is out of alignment or something else is wrong. Never heard of Barum brand tires, but then there are a lot of Chinese tires on the market today. The deal seems "good enough".
Tire 9 and 6 were not bought at same time and installed.
That makes more sense. I thought maybe they were 9 and 6 because you refuse to make left turns and only make right turns. Left turns are way to risky for bogleheads. :twisted:
Right turns are riskier.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

surfstar wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:15 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm
9 and 6 means something is out of alignment or something else is wrong. Never heard of Barum brand tires, but then there are a lot of Chinese tires on the market today. The deal seems "good enough".
Tire 9 and 6 were not bought at same time and installed.
Replaced due to damage / road hazard or due to uneven wear?

So you have 3 different tires on, basically, even if all the same brand and size. I rotate routinely and replace 4 at a time, almost always.

5k mi/year is very low use, so they should be fine.

But for the best deal, you need to time a holiday sale with Discount Tire, a manufacturer's rebate and their CC rebate. You got an okay price due to not being able to time your purchase. Check on their price for black friday, for example...
Due to flat tire. Replacement on pro rated. Rotate after 6-8k right?

I use to get new tire because 2 tires were at 3 tread. Rebate only on 4 tires.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

rooms222 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:16 pm Discount Tire has been selling the Barum brand for at least 15 years. It is owned by Continental Tire, and they are decent tires generally. I had them on my VW Golf a long time ago.
Nice.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

mggray17 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 pm
baconavocado wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:04 pm
Californiastate wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:37 pm Read your owner’s manual for vehicle specific information.
For PSI?
The correct air pressure for your tires should be in your owners manual and on a sticker inside the drivers side door of the car.
Some say go with tires recommendations.
The Tire will show the max psi that the tire is rated for. It is not a recommendation for setting the psi. Your car manufacturer knows what the correct psi is for your car with the standard sized tires shown on the placard. Nobody recommends inflating car tires to the max psi on the tire. Use the value on the placard inside the door.
Car sticker shows 33 all tires.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

RobLyons wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:30 pm
Got the 2 new tires rotated and rebalanced.

How do you rotate 2 new tires?

For PSI check your owners manual. Usually around 35psi +/- 5psi for these small commuter vehicles.

Also needing to replace just the front tires is usually the result of not rotating tires at recommended intervals. This just happened to me with the wife's vehicle. It's more expensive to buy just 2 tires vs all 4.

Deal sounds ok. I just did 4 new 80k Michelin tires with road hazard warranty, mounted, balanced, etc. from Costco on my Prius for $455 OTD.
They rebalanced 2 but put the 2 new tires on back for safety. I bought this car used so no way to buy 4 new.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:24 pm
Well it’s no Crown Vic.
I wasn't including that in "recent years", since it's been out of production for so long (the consumer variety even longer than the fleet versions.) Maybe fans of the previous-era larger full-sized Fords referred to Panther models as "small commuter vehicles" too.
Ford did make the Taurus in 2019, maybe even 2020, but regardless 2019 is recent and its larger than the Fusion.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

DoubleComma wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:20 pm
tibbitts wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:24 pm
Well it’s no Crown Vic.
Ford did make the Taurus in 2019, maybe even 2020, but regardless 2019 is recent and its larger than the Fusion.
Excellent point. I had totally forgotten about the Taurus, which I shouldn't have since I rented one for one day in 2019. When I think about that name I think of my '90s Taurus, which of course was a size that the Fusion replaced, not the formerly-500 variety. I remember the 2019 Taurus now because I couldn't find the usb outlet; I'm sure it was there... somewhere.
RCL

Post by RCL »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:16 pm
RCL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:09 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm
bob60014 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:04 pm Never heard of Barum Bravuris.
Name brands like Michelin is more expensive. They achieve the same job.
Oh boy... :oops:
You are correct, Michelin tires are more expensive; for a reason :shock:
That's painting with a pretty broad brush. The only tires I ever recall that I could noticeably tell performed poorly (and they wore faster than expected too), were the Michelin primacy that came stock on my jetta and I've had my fair share of "budget" tires.
I used a spray can :happy
Maybe something went wrong with your Jetta's alignment? All sorts of reasons for people to have different experiences with the same brand and model of tire. My experience is about 70k miles on the good grade Michelins MXM4's before they start getting a little noisy (but still have a little tread life left). Note...not all Michelin tires are the same. Also note, many tire shops that offer too cheap to believe tire prices will sell the customer tires that do not have the proper load rating for the car. This will contribute to quicker than expected tire wear, plus creates a huge safety problem for the car owner.(tread separation, side-wall blowouts etc.)
You'll read reviews on Tirerack of some people reporting only getting 20k miles on the same tires I get 70k miles on.
What do you think makes the difference?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

RCL wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 pm
That's painting with a pretty broad brush. The only tires I ever recall that I could noticeably tell performed poorly (and they wore faster than expected too), were the Michelin primacy that came stock on my jetta and I've had my fair share of "budget" tires.
I used a spray can :happy
Maybe something went wrong with your Jetta's alignment? All sorts of reasons for people to have different experiences with the same brand and model of tire. My experience is about 70k miles on the good grade Michelins MXM4's before they start getting a little noisy (but still have a little tread life left). Note...not all Michelin tires are the same. Also note, many tire shops that offer too cheap to believe tire prices will sell the customer tires that do not have the proper load rating for the car. This will contribute to quicker than expected tire wear, plus creates a huge safety problem for the car owner.(tread separation, side-wall blowouts etc.)
You'll read reviews on Tirerack of some people reporting only getting 20k miles on the same tires I get 70k miles on.
What do you think makes the difference?
I think the difference is generalizations are pointless. Michelin makes some junk tires and some good ones, as does other manufacturers. There were no alignment issues and we noticed a significant improvement when replacing them with a cheaper set of General-brand tires, which have also shown better wear. I am a very conservative driver, do almost all of my own maintenance (including rotations) and those Michelin are the worst I've ever had, but I've had good experience with other Michelins (and countless other tires from other manufacturers). No reason to give Michelin the benefit of the doubt (that it was a one-off bad set) and not others.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

It's classified as a mid size sedan. So not a large sedan. Also not a huge SUV, truck, crossover, etc. Commuter for sure.
Light weight baby!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:12 pm

For PSI check your owners manual. Usually around 35psi +/- 5psi for these small commuter vehicles.

Also needing to replace just the front tires is usually the result of not rotating tires at recommended intervals. This just happened to me with the wife's vehicle. It's more expensive to buy just 2 tires vs all 4.

Deal sounds ok. I just did 4 new 80k Michelin tires with road hazard warranty, mounted, balanced, etc. from Costco on my Prius for $455 OTD.
They rebalanced 2 but put the 2 new tires on back for safety. I bought this car used so no way to buy 4 new.

Ok, keep up on those tire rotations!
Light weight baby!
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am
mhc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:17 pm Left turns are way to risky for bogleheads. :twisted:
Right turns are riskier.
In the UK, Australia, and Malta.

Marylander1
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

RobLyons wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:16 pm

It's classified as a mid size sedan. So not a large sedan. Also not a huge SUV, truck, crossover, etc. Commuter for sure.
I would classify it as mid size also, although I don't know the official EPA classification. But I disagree that it's primarily a "commuter car"; I'd put it in the general-purpose family sedan category. Now if you'd said a Smart Car was a commuter car, that I'd be more aligned with.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Marylander1 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:22 pm
mhc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:17 pm Left turns are way to risky for bogleheads. :twisted:
Right turns are riskier.

Marylander1
Also in Japan and a few other places.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

psteinx wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:10 pm
psteinx wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 pm The thing is:

1) Very often there are tire deals that require purchasing 4 tires at once
2) The process of getting a vehicle to a tire place, selecting tires, and getting them installed, takes time (from the vehicle owner)

The combination of 1 & 2 means, I think, that for many (most?) folks, it's worth replacing all 4, unless maybe the last 2 tires have a LOT of life left in them. I'm not sure if your "9 and 6" are 32nds or mm, but IIRC, in 32nds, the general "you should probably replace this tire" level is about 4, and "you REALLY REALLY should replace this tire" is 2 or 3. So really, only 1 out of your 4 tires had much life left. If it were me, I likely would have replaced all 4...

(And of course, there are further considerations if your vehicle is AWD...)
Why replace the 9 and 6?

9/32” and 6/32”.
As I said, you'll likely save some across all 4 tires, by replacing 4 at a time, and you'll save time.

If you hold the car for a long time (replacing each tire 3-4 times), you'll likely waste time and money if you continue replacing tires in 2sies (or 1sies), versus doing 4 at a time now, and then 4 at a time when they're hopefully ~equally worn a few years from now, and so on.

The main exception should be if a specific tire goes flat because it's punctured or whatever. But if you replace the 1 then, and then you have 3 worn tires a couple years later and 1 that's at 6 or 8 32nds, it's still probably worth replacing all 4.
I would have spent more by buying 4. What would I have done with 9 and 6 tread tires?
Last edited by Vanguard User on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

azanon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Don't be disingenuous to yourself though by convincing yourself they're of the same quality and perform equally to a Michelin. Though there are certainly exceptions, generally speaking, the tire world is the same as most products - you get what you pay for. Only other tier 1 brands can sometimes achieve parity to them.

Personal opinion - I think it's the worst area of a car to try to save money because that's what connects you to the road.
So what makes Barum tires not competitive to brand names?
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Mid size sedan. 33 is what’s on sticker.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Normchad wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:44 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:07 pm
baconavocado wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:04 pm
For PSI?
The correct air pressure for your tires should be in your owners manual and on a sticker inside the drivers side door of the car.
Some say go with tires recommendations.
Those people are wrong. The people that made those tires don’t know anything about your car. Listen to the people who made your car. https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles ... -inflation
Got it.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

For PSI?
Yes

33 it states.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm I think it’s fair to say you paid a low price at < $120 per tire, installed. Name brand tires for your car tend to start around that price without installation, based on a quick look-up at TireRack.com. Whether this was a good deal really depends on how comparable the quality is, which is difficult to gauge objectively. TireRack and places like Consumer Reports have track testing data and enough consumer feedback to demonstrate meaningful differences between models. However, I don’t think they evaluate the low end (small, discount brands) of the market.
Barum has been selling at DT for years. I went with consumer reviews. They are $97 tire but got it for $86~.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

mggray17 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:02 pm
For PSI?
Yes
The owner's manual will direct you to the tire decal inside the door. At least the owner's manual explains how to use the information.....

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford ... bled=False
33 it states.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

sully45 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 pm
azanon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Don't be disingenuous to yourself though by convincing yourself they're of the same quality and perform equally to a Michelin. Though there are certainly exceptions, generally speaking, the tire world is the same as most products - you get what you pay for. Only other tier 1 brands can sometimes achieve parity to them.

Personal opinion - I think it's the worst area of a car to try to save money because that's what connects you to the road.
In general I agree with you. I think if you live in a state where you can drive on summer tires year round its not an unreasonable choice. Compounds and tread design are simpler for summer tires, less to mess up.

If you live in a state where you need all-Seasons (or you change to winters); I personally wouldn't cheap out on those.
My tires are listed as all seasons and performance.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

anoop wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:07 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:30 pm Did I get a good deal?
Are the tires available on tire rack? If so, how does the price you received compare?
Not sure but other online places did like Giga Tires. They matched the price. I received the lowest price possible.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Name brands are always expensive.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Then why was DT out of stock? Because it’s popular.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 pm What age are those new tires? Hopefully you didn’t buy new-old stock. The manufacture date is imprinted on the sidewall in the same area as the PSI rating. For safety, tires should be replaced after six years regardless of wear.
What is new old stock? They were probably 5 years old.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:20 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 pm What age are those new tires? Hopefully you didn’t buy new-old stock. The manufacture date is imprinted on the sidewall in the same area as the PSI rating. For safety, tires should be replaced after six years regardless of wear.
New tires that have been on the rack unsold for several years, maybe in a forgotten corner of the warehouse, then sold to you. Check the mfg date on your tires if in doubt. When I buy new tires I check to make sure they’re of recent manufacture. Rubber ages even if not in use. It could rob you of tire-life.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

adestefan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 am

General tires are good.

You’ll hear a ton of people are hating about Michelin, but I don’t like them. They’re too soft and wear out very fast. All the major brands make fine tires.
My first car came with Michelin tires. That's the only time I had Michelin tires. Didn't notice anything special about them. When it was time to get new tires, I replaced Michelin tires with firestone/bridgestone tires.. Currently I am on 2nd set of General tires. I liked how my vehicle performed on General tires. So, when it was time, I replaced them with exact same tires.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

RobLyons wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Ok, keep up on those tire rotations!
Every 6-8k miles?
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Marylander1 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:22 pm
Right turns are riskier.

Marylander1
Oh ok.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:20 pm
New tires that have been on the rack unsold for several years, maybe in a forgotten corner of the warehouse, then sold to you. Check the mfg date on your tires if in doubt. When I buy new tires I check to make sure they’re of recent manufacture. Rubber ages even if not in use. It could rob you of tire-life.
It was not in stock at DT. It was ordered from Barum to DT. It’s a popular brand at DT.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Metsfan91 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 pm
adestefan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 am

General tires are good.

My first car came with Michelin tires. That's the only time I had Michelin tires. Didn't notice anything special about them. When it was time to get new tires, I replaced Michelin tires with firestone/bridgestone tires.. Currently I am on 2nd set of General tires. I liked how my vehicle performed on General tires. So, when it was time, I replaced them with exact same tires.
General the brand name?
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Barum and General are both brands owned by Continental Tire. In the USA, Barum seems only to be sold at Discount/America's Tire. When I looked up my size on the Barum website, they have a feature that allows you to pull up the EU sticker for the tire. The type OP bought was not started to be made until the end of 2018. I have had good experiences with about 5 or 6 pairs of General Tires on the family cars the last few years. One Altimax set seemed to wear pretty fast, but that was the exception. I will say most Michelins I have had (or their BF Goodrich Brand) tend to wear even more slowly. These are all all-season tires with 400-600 treadwear ratings.

The Barum do seem like a great deal right now. They are less than 90 dollars for my size, and the slightly better performance General Tire is now $150 at both Tire Rack and Discount Tire. It was about $110 two years ago.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"For safety, tires should be replaced after six years regardless of wear."

I usually get rid of them after 5 years, but the Michelin site says 5 to 10 years and after the first 5 have yearly inspections done by an expert.

I'd post the link but it 6:30 a.m. and it's time to go fishing.
jucor

Post by jucor »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:59 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:57 pm
azanon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 pm
It's not that uncommon, and generally ok if the other two tires have plenty of tread. A common scenario would be someone with a front-wheel drive car that didn't rotate their tires when recommended, so over time the front ones wear much faster than the back ones.
Right. It’s recommended to rotate every 6-8k.
Off-topic, but humor a guy who doesn't know anything about cars and probably has an over-sensitive scam detector as he turns into an old curmedgeon.

Let's say my shop charges $50 for a tire rotation, and I follow the guidelines and rotate my tires 6 times over their 50k mile life, so I've spent $300 on tire rotations. So they wear evenly, and then when I replace all four tires at once, I get the 4-tire discount of like $80. Is that really more cost effective than just doing no rotations and replacing my front 2 when they're ready, and then doing the back two a year or two later, etc... ?
Supposedly one benefit of rotation is even wear all around which makes the car brake and steer better, esp. in wet or snowy conditions.

If you're lucky you're like me and live in a town with a long-established locally-owned tire and auto repair shop (100+ years for my guys) which has prices competitive (within 5% in my experience) with the national chains, but also offers lifetime free rotation and flat repair if you buy tires from them. They even have a free shuttle and free soft drinks and coffee in a very clean, comfortable waiting room.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

If your front tires where 3/32 and the backs where 6/32 and 9/32 that tells me you never rotated your tires. Also, tires degrade with age, not just miles. Once they get over 5-6 years old they start to get hard and loose cold weather traction even if barely driven.

I am going to second the recommendation to replace all 4 and get back into a proper routine of rotating the tires with every oil change.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I bought my DD a car in Dec of last year, checked the tire tread which looked ok but missed that there was a mismatched tire on her car. Tread depth is not consistent across all 4 tires. Will replace the entire set before she heads off to college next year, car has roughly 22,000 miles now.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
deikel

Post by deikel »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:59 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:57 pm
azanon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:44 pm
It's not that uncommon, and generally ok if the other two tires have plenty of tread. A common scenario would be someone with a front-wheel drive car that didn't rotate their tires when recommended, so over time the front ones wear much faster than the back ones.
Right. It’s recommended to rotate every 6-8k.
Off-topic, but humor a guy who doesn't know anything about cars and probably has an over-sensitive scam detector as he turns into an old curmedgeon.

Let's say my shop charges $50 for a tire rotation, and I follow the guidelines and rotate my tires 6 times over their 50k mile life, so I've spent $300 on tire rotations. So they wear evenly, and then when I replace all four tires at once, I get the 4-tire discount of like $80. Is that really more cost effective than just doing no rotations and replacing my front 2 when they're ready, and then doing the back two a year or two later, etc... ?
That is exactly the problem. Its also the reason why I drive Winter tires all year long (in the Northeast). My one winter tire costs me the same as two tire mountings a year (and the same then an extra wheel) - so changing twice a year, after four years I have four new tires, which is roughly how long the tires last. No sense for me to buy summer tires.

Now in all fairness, the tire rotation usually also includes a tire balancing and that is useful to prevent damage to other expensive parts on the car. But otherwise, you could just not rotate, wear the front tires out faster (front tires always wear faster because of the steering, even on rear drive cars) and then just replace two tires at a time.

But since the balancing is the expensive part, the rotation is kind of included for 0 dollars anyway.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.