Did I get a good deal on tires?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Re: Did I get a good deal on tires?

Post by Vanguard User »

rooms222 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:32 pm Barum and General are both brands owned by Continental Tire. In the USA, Barum seems only to be sold at Discount/America's Tire. When I looked up my size on the Barum website, they have a feature that allows you to pull up the EU sticker for the tire. The type OP bought was not started to be made until the end of 2018. I have had good experiences with about 5 or 6 pairs of General Tires on the family cars the last few years. One Altimax set seemed to wear pretty fast, but that was the exception. I will say most Michelins I have had (or their BF Goodrich Brand) tend to wear even more slowly. These are all all-season tires with 400-600 treadwear ratings.

The Barum do seem like a great deal right now. They are less than 90 dollars for my size, and the slightly better performance General Tire is now $150 at both Tire Rack and Discount Tire. It was about $110 two years ago.
Cool. I drive less than 5k a year.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

andypanda wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:31 am "For safety, tires should be replaced after six years regardless of wear."

I usually get rid of them after 5 years, but the Michelin site says 5 to 10 years and after the first 5 have yearly inspections done by an expert.

I'd post the link but it 6:30 a.m. and it's time to go fishing.
Right.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Go Back And Get
2 More Tires
"Splurge A Little"

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:34 pm
Metsfan91 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 pm
adestefan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 am
Metsfan91 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 pm
lazybones18 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:33 pm I drive a lot and one thing I have learned in my life

don't mess around with cheap tires

I always get Michelin tire .. bridgestone is good too
How about General tire? Any good?

I have replaced all 4s so far. They age out same time. That's what it is.
General tires are good.

You’ll hear a ton of people are hating about Michelin, but I don’t like them. They’re too soft and wear out very fast. All the major brands make fine tires.
My first car came with Michelin tires. That's the only time I had Michelin tires. Didn't notice anything special about them. When it was time to get new tires, I replaced Michelin tires with firestone/bridgestone tires.. Currently I am on 2nd set of General tires. I liked how my vehicle performed on General tires. So, when it was time, I replaced them with exact same tires.
General the brand name?
Yes. General Tire is the brand name.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Toons wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:09 pm Go Back And Get
2 More Tires
"Splurge A Little"

What will I do with the 9 and 6?
talzara

Post by talzara »

rooms222 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:16 pm Discount Tire has been selling the Barum brand for at least 15 years. It is owned by Continental Tire, and they are decent tires generally. I had them on my VW Golf a long time ago.
Continental uses the Barum brand to sell tires at a lower price point without damaging its flagship brand.

Continental puts its best technology in Continental-branded tires.
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm I think it’s fair to say you paid a low price at < $120 per tire, installed. Name brand tires for your car tend to start around that price without installation, based on a quick look-up at TireRack.com. Whether this was a good deal really depends on how comparable the quality is, which is difficult to gauge objectively. TireRack and places like Consumer Reports have track testing data and enough consumer feedback to demonstrate meaningful differences between models. However, I don’t think they evaluate the low end (small, discount brands) of the market.
Since most Barum tires are sold in Europe, we can look at the German tire test results.

The ADAC rates the Barum Bravuris 5HM as fair, ranking it 15th out of 17 summer tires tested in a slightly smaller size: https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/t ... rgebnisse/

It is classified as a summer tire in Germany, but Discount Tire sells it as an all-season tire in the United States. German law requires the use of tires with adequate traction in icy conditions, and this tire is inadequate for winter driving in Germany.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:49 pm
RobLyons wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:16 pm
tibbitts wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:39 pm
RobLyons wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 pm Usually around 35psi +/- 5psi for these small commuter vehicles.
Fusion is a "small commuter vehicle?" I thought it was the largest sedan Ford produced in recent years?

It's classified as a mid size sedan. So not a large sedan. Also not a huge SUV, truck, crossover, etc. Commuter for sure.
I would classify it as mid size also, although I don't know the official EPA classification. But I disagree that it's primarily a "commuter car"; I'd put it in the general-purpose family sedan category. Now if you'd said a Smart Car was a commuter car, that I'd be more aligned with.

If you googled "is a ford fusion a commuter vehicle" you may change your mind.
Light weight baby!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 pm
RobLyons wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:12 pm
RobLyons wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:30 pm
Got the 2 new tires rotated and rebalanced.

How do you rotate 2 new tires?

For PSI check your owners manual. Usually around 35psi +/- 5psi for these small commuter vehicles.

Also needing to replace just the front tires is usually the result of not rotating tires at recommended intervals. This just happened to me with the wife's vehicle. It's more expensive to buy just 2 tires vs all 4.

Deal sounds ok. I just did 4 new 80k Michelin tires with road hazard warranty, mounted, balanced, etc. from Costco on my Prius for $455 OTD.
They rebalanced 2 but put the 2 new tires on back for safety. I bought this car used so no way to buy 4 new.

Ok, keep up on those tire rotations!
Every 6-8k miles?
Sounds about right
Light weight baby!
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

talzara wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:02 pm
rooms222 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:16 pm Discount Tire has been selling the Barum brand for at least 15 years. It is owned by Continental Tire, and they are decent tires generally. I had them on my VW Golf a long time ago.
Continental uses the Barum brand to sell tires at a lower price point without damaging its flagship brand.

Continental puts its best technology in Continental-branded tires.
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm I think it’s fair to say you paid a low price at < $120 per tire, installed. Name brand tires for your car tend to start around that price without installation, based on a quick look-up at TireRack.com. Whether this was a good deal really depends on how comparable the quality is, which is difficult to gauge objectively. TireRack and places like Consumer Reports have track testing data and enough consumer feedback to demonstrate meaningful differences between models. However, I don’t think they evaluate the low end (small, discount brands) of the market.
Since most Barum tires are sold in Europe, we can look at the German tire test results.

The ADAC rates the Barum Bravuris 5HM as fair, ranking it 15th out of 17 summer tires tested in a slightly smaller size: https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/t ... rgebnisse/

It is classified as a summer tire in Germany, but Discount Tire sells it as an all-season tire in the United States. German law requires the use of tires with adequate traction in icy conditions, and this tire is inadequate for winter driving in Germany.
No snow here in Houston except for maybe one day out of the year.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

RobLyons wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 am
tibbitts wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:49 pm
RobLyons wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:16 pm
tibbitts wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:39 pm
RobLyons wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 pm Usually around 35psi +/- 5psi for these small commuter vehicles.
Fusion is a "small commuter vehicle?" I thought it was the largest sedan Ford produced in recent years?

It's classified as a mid size sedan. So not a large sedan. Also not a huge SUV, truck, crossover, etc. Commuter for sure.
I would classify it as mid size also, although I don't know the official EPA classification. But I disagree that it's primarily a "commuter car"; I'd put it in the general-purpose family sedan category. Now if you'd said a Smart Car was a commuter car, that I'd be more aligned with.

If you googled "is a ford fusion a commuter vehicle" you may change your mind.
Before I contribute more to the off-topic portion of the thread: what's wrong with Uniroyal, which never seems to get any love in these Boglehead tire threads? In this thread we have a less expensive line of tires from a major manufacturer, and that would describe Uniroyal.

And now back to the commuter discussion: I did as you suggested and absolutely was surprised at the search results. But I'm holding onto my not-a-commuter-car position. Sometimes I've replied to Boglehead threads by telling people that although it isn't likely, if they're right then everybody else is wrong. So finally it's my turn to be right when everybody else is wrong! I would say that many of the links referred to "family or commuter car", which to me are two completely separate things. I just don't believe cars like the ones some of the articles mentioned as commuter cars were appropriate examples: Camry, Tucson... even the F150!

With regard to Ford specifically, my thinking is that with multiple smaller cars in the lineup (as there was during the Fusion generation, starting with the Focus and moving to even smaller cars), I'm not choosing the Fusion as a commuter car, unless maybe your house is in CA and your office in NY. To me longer-distance higher-speed commuting as a niche; I'm thinking more short distances, bumper to bumper traffic, and fitting into the smallest parking places. Interestingly (well, to me), when I revised the search to different automotive eras, I got more the results I would have expected: for example, the Pinto. So possibly my "commuter" concept isn't aligned with the times, but I'm sticking to it.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Vanguard User wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:19 am
talzara wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:02 pm Since most Barum tires are sold in Europe, we can look at the German tire test results.

It rains in Houston 104 days a year.

Since it is classified as a summer tire in Germany, the Barum Bravuris 5HM was only evaluated for summer driving. The ADAC tested it on dry roads and wet roads, but not on ice and snow. Its low ranking (15th out of 17) is only comparing it to other summer tires.

If you click on the name of the tire, you can see the subscores for driving characteristics. The ADAC is using an inverted scale where lower numbers are better. The tire scored best on fuel economy and wear, as we would expect for a Low Rolling Resistance tire.

The tire scored worst on wet handling. In fact, it scored worse on this characteristic than the 16th ranked tire. The only tire that scored worse on wet handling was the lowest-ranked tire, which ADAC rated as defective (mangelhaft) because that one subscore was defective. This tire came very close to being disqualified for the same reason.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

talzara wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 am
talzara wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:02 pm Since most Barum tires are sold in Europe, we can look at the German tire test results.

Since it is classified as a summer tire in Germany, the Barum Bravuris 5HM was only evaluated for summer driving. The ADAC tested it on dry roads and wet roads, but not on ice and snow. Its low ranking (15th out of 17) is only comparing it to other summer tires.

If you click on the name of the tire, you can see the subscores for driving characteristics. The ADAC is using an inverted scale where lower numbers are better. The tire scored best on fuel economy and wear, as we would expect for a Low Rolling Resistance tire.

The tire scored worst on wet handling. In fact, it scored worse on this characteristic than the 16th ranked tire. The only tire that scored worse on wet handling was the lowest-ranked tire, which ADAC rated as defective (mangelhaft) because that one subscore was defective. This tire came very close to being disqualified for the same reason.
If the tread is good. It should be fine on wet roads right?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Vanguard User wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 pm If the tread is good. It should be fine on wet roads right?
It depends on what you consider "fine." Obviously some tread designs and compounds will perform significantly better in rain (and dry, and snow, and ice) than others, even when tires are brand new (and the difference may or may not persist throughout the tread/tire life.)
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

talzara wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:36 am

My car also has traction control option.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:30 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 pm If the tread is good. It should be fine on wet roads right?
It depends on what you consider "fine." Obviously some tread designs and compounds will perform significantly better in rain (and dry, and snow, and ice) than others, even when tires are brand new (and the difference may or may not persist throughout the tread/tire life.)
So far so good.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Vanguard User wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm My car also has traction control option.
Traction control is like antilock braking. It prevents you from losing control of the car, but it cannot improve the tire's traction. The computer will limit you to using 100% of the tire's traction instead of going to 105% and losing control of the car.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

In February I bought Cooper ATP II 275/70r18s for $193 per tire.... just checked today to replace the rubber on the other truck and they are now $220! So much for 5% inflation. I have 6-7/32 on the current Bridgestone dueler HT’s but with only about 16k on them and some cracking in between the treads..pure trash. Any deal today is likely better than a deal a month from now.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I got Bridgestone Duelers on a new vehicle once. Whew, I couldn't wait to wear them out be rid of them so I traded them in on Michelins. Didn't get much for them, but I didn't send them to the dump.

Look at tirerack:

www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMa ... FT+D684+II

Scroll down to the chart. Only two Goods, a 6.8 for dry performance and a 6.6 for comfort.

"Would you recommend 3.2 - Poor"

"16,542,665 Total Miles Reported
37 out of 45 in Highway All-Season Tires"
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

No way no how am I mixing and matching tire brands and models of tires on my car. I want predictable performance across all four wheels. Different tread, speed ratings, weight and hardness are very important in my book. Quality and performance are way more important to me than price.

You got what you paid for, a subpar tire when roads are wet. Wet and slick roads are exactly the time you want a tire that provides superior traction.

As for the traction control. It's designed more for starting or acceleration. Hydroplaning is caused by a layer of water getting between the tire and the surface it's driving on. There is no effective way for traction control to prevent this. It also does no good for stopping either. That's a function of your brakes and the tires grip on the road.

Sometimes the best deal isn't the cheapest deal.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Carguy85 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 pm In February I bought Cooper ATP II 275/70r18s for $193 per tire.... just checked today to replace the rubber on the other truck and they are now $220! So much for 5% inflation. I have 6-7/32 on the current Bridgestone dueler HT’s but with only about 16k on them and some cracking in between the treads..pure trash. Any deal today is likely better than a deal a month from now.
You drive in Houston highways mostly or city?
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

My rear tires are $450 each, so guess you got a better deal than me.

And as someone else said, generalizing tires for a brand is kinda silly. But Michelin is kinda the peak for performance tires right now.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

azanon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:33 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm
bob60014 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:04 pm Never heard of Barum Bravuris.
Name brands like Michelin is more expensive. They achieve the same job.
Don't be disingenuous to yourself though by convincing yourself they're of the same quality and perform equally to a Michelin. Though there are certainly exceptions, generally speaking, the tire world is the same as most products - you get what you pay for. Only other tier 1 brands can sometimes achieve parity to them.

Personal opinion - I think it's the worst area of a car to try to save money because that's what connects you to the road.
I think that Michelins are overrated. My Yokohamas blow them away in every way possible.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Vanguard User wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:19 am
2 More Tires
"Splurge A Little"

Give Away
:wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

lucky_tech_guy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 pm My rear tires are $450 each, so guess you got a better deal than me.

And as someone else said, generalizing tires for a brand is kinda silly. But Michelin is kinda the peak for performance tires right now.
What brand?
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Toons wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:50 pm
2 More Tires
"Splurge A Little"

Give Away
Financially, that’s not a good move.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Vanguard User wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:51 pm
2 More Tires
"Splurge A Little"

Give Away
Put the tires on CL and deal with the dregs who shop for used tires on CL. You might get $25 for the pair.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Californiastate wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 pm
Put the tires on CL and deal with the dregs who shop for used tires on CL. You might get $25 for the pair.
If you live where sales tax applies and you sell direct on CL, and your payment platform doesn't deal with sales tax collection and filing, then you have to contend with that as well.
Last edited by tibbitts on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jucor

Post by jucor »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:52 pm
If you live where sales tax applies and you sell direct on CL, and your payment platform doesn't deal with sales tax collection and filing, then you have to contend with as well.
I do not know of any state that requires occasional casual sellers to collect and file sales taxes -- google yard sale sales tax exemption. Selling personal items in a yard sale or via FB or CL does not require sales tax -- nor will it impact income taxes, unless you happen to be selling for more than you paid, which, for old tires, is not going to happen.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

jucor wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:05 pm
If you live where sales tax applies and you sell direct on CL, and your payment platform doesn't deal with sales tax collection and filing, then you have to contend with as well.
I do not know of any state that requires occasional casual sellers to collect and file sales taxes -- google yard sale sales tax exemption. Selling personal items in a yard sale or via FB or CL does not require sales tax -- nor will it impact income taxes, unless you happen to be selling for more than you paid, which, for old tires, is not going to happen.
As far as I know here in Oklahoma there is no exception for "casual" sales for yard/garage sales. I believe if you hold three or more yard/garage sales in a year you have to also apply for a business sales tax permit; otherwise you have to file separately for each sale. In fact in many communities here including mine you have to purchase a permit to hold each sale in the first place. Tax has to be paid on the full price received, regardless of the price you originally paid for any items you sell.
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

Vanguard User wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:20 pm
lucky_tech_guy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 pm My rear tires are $450 each, so guess you got a better deal than me.

What brand?
Michelin, their Pilot Sport 4S
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

2 More Tires
"Splurge A Little"

Give Away
I would use the 9 as a full size spare and recycle the 6 which is almost worn out
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

finite_difference wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:22 pm I would use the 9 as a full size spare and recycle the 6 which is almost worn out
Except that very few cars can accommodate a full-sized spare.
finite_difference

tibbitts wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:50 pm
finite_difference wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:22 pm I would use the 9 as a full size spare and recycle the 6 which is almost worn out
You mean they don’t have a trunk or backseat? :)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

finite_difference wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:04 pm
Yes, decades ago I carried all kinds of automotive maintenance "stuff" in the passenger and/or cargo areas that I'd never carry now, but even then the spare tire always went in the dedicated spare tire compartment.
finite_difference

tibbitts wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:14 pm
finite_difference wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:04 pm
Yes, decades ago I carried all kinds of automotive maintenance "stuff" in the passenger and/or cargo areas that I'd never carry now, but even then the spare tire always went in the dedicated spare tire compartment.
Impressively, the Corolla does allow a full-size spare.

If I had a car that didn’t have a spare at all, and instead used run flats, like a Lexus SC 430, then I’d definitely run regular tires and carry a full-size spare in the backseat or trunk, cargo space be darned.

If the car had room for only a spare then I would probably grudgingly stick with it and not go through the trouble of putting a full-size spare in the trunk. But I’d think about it.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

Unless you want to use the trunk for it.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

2 More Tires
"Splurge A Little"

Give Away
Maybe. Not sure if it’s worth that hassle.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

If you live where sales tax applies and you sell direct on CL, and your payment platform doesn't deal with sales tax collection and filing, then you have to contend with that as well.
eBay?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Vanguard User wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:10 pm
eBay?
If you mean using a platform that will collect tax for you, that can work, although I didn't know eBay (except through Paypal?) has such an offering. Obviously selling to someone not in the same location as you are isn't practical for used tires, given the cost of shipping.
jucor

Post by jucor »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:02 pm
As far as I know here in Oklahoma there is no exception for "casual" sales for yard/garage sales. I believe if you hold three or more yard/garage sales in a year you have to also apply for a business sales tax permit; otherwise you have to file separately for each sale. In fact in many communities here including mine you have to purchase a permit to hold each sale in the first place. Tax has to be paid on the full price received, regardless of the price you originally paid for any items you sell.
Wow! That's news to me -- and here I thought that the higher-tax states I've lived in were tough -- but not Oklahoma tough, apparently. No permit needed for yard sales, and no need to collect sales tax or report the income -- I guess some things are better in Illinois! :sharebeer
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

jucor wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:20 pm
Wow! That's news to me -- and here I thought that the higher-tax states I've lived in were tough -- but not Oklahoma tough, apparently. No permit needed for yard sales, and no need to collect sales tax or report the income -- I guess some things are better in Illinois! :sharebeer
The permits are local to the municipality; some don't require one, but mine does, and you have to pay for it. The sales tax requirement applying to all sales - even garage or yard sales or other small transactions - is statewide.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:32 pm
jucor wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:20 pm
The permits are local to the municipality; some don't require one, but mine does, and you have to pay for it. The sales tax requirement applying to all sales - even garage or yard sales or other small transactions - is statewide.
Facebook is popular too for sales.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Vanguard User wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:15 pm
As long as the transaction occurs on a platform that calculates, collects, and remits sales tax for you, any sales platform would work.
Topic Author
Vanguard User

Post by Vanguard User »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:41 pm
Vanguard User wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:15 pm
As long as the transaction occurs on a platform that calculates, collects, and remits sales tax for you, any sales platform would work.
Right.