Luggage performance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Workaholic

Re: Luggage performance

Post by Workaholic »

soxfan10 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:36 pm
For what its worth - has Tumi had any noticeable quality degradation since Samsonite's acquisition (circa 2016)?
Before Samsonite acquired them, they were owned by a private equity group which changed the warranty from lifetime to 5 years. I’d say my current Alpha 3 bag is as well made if not slightly better than my pre-2016 Tumi bag. I think Samsonite has invested in the Tumi brand to not only retain current customers but to appeal to new segments as well. I do wish they’d go back to a lifetime warranty but I have my doubts that’ll ever happen.
soxfan10

Post by soxfan10 »

Workaholic wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:48 pm
For what its worth - has Tumi had any noticeable quality degradation since Samsonite's acquisition (circa 2016)?
Before Samsonite acquired them, they were owned by a private equity group which changed the warranty from lifetime to 5 years. I’d say my current Alpha 3 bag is as well made if not slightly better than my pre-2016 Tumi bag. I think Samsonite has invested in the Tumi brand to not only retain current customers but to appeal to new segments as well. I do wish they’d go back to a lifetime warranty but I have my doubts that’ll ever happen.
I wont comment on the change to warranties, but Tumi was publicly traded prior to Samsonite's acquisition.

I asked because Samsonite's rep is buying more premium brands and looking for unascertainable synergies (read: cost cuts that have no chance but to impact quality).
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

David Jay wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:39 pm Briggs and Riley.
+2 (or is it 3?)

Tumi quality at about 1/3 the price. I can't wear them out (multi-million-miler).
+4

I am a long-time Tumi owner (and million+ miler) but a few years ago I bought 3x of the Briggs & Riley mid-size expandable spinner for family use during our extended European trips. I was a little sceptical of the expansion capability but it is incredibly useful (and the bags are still very sturdy with it extended). They are only 5-6 years old (no travel for last 2) but after probably ~20-30 airplane holds so far, they still look good as new... and still locally made here in California I believe.

Good luck!
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

soxfan10 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:56 pm
Workaholic wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:48 pm
I wont comment on the change to warranties, but Tumi was publicly traded prior to Samsonite's acquisition.

I asked because Samsonite's rep is buying more premium brands and looking for unascertainable synergies (read: cost cuts that have no chance but to impact quality).
So far I haven’t noticed any apparent cost cutting. Seems to be as well made as my previous Tumi bags before the acquisition. The pricing has definitely gotten higher though- I recall buying Tumi bags for $600 and now the same bags start at $800+.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Workaholic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:20 pm
mikejuss wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:51 pm Thoughts: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... n-luggage/.
Sort of a flawed study when they only have 1 "premium" luggage brand (Briggs and Riley) and no real competition.
I have to agree with them, TravelPro.
The only brand I use. Nearly 2M miles the last 10 years.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

jello_nailer wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:58 am
mikejuss wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:51 pm Thoughts: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... n-luggage/.
Sort of a flawed study when they only have 1 "premium" luggage brand (Briggs and Riley) and no real competition.
I agree that if you aren’t looking to spend over $200 on a bag, Travelpro gives you the best bang for your buck. I know many people very happy with their Travelpro luggage and have used it for years with no issue. It’s what I recommend to anyone that needs a sturdy bag but isn’t going to spend hundreds of dollars on one.

I still think the study is flawed though…you don’t have some of the top luggage manufacturers represented.
yog

Post by yog »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:09 am
jello_nailer wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:58 am
I agree that if you aren’t looking to spend over $200 on a bag, Travelpro gives you the best bang for your buck. I know many people very happy with their Travelpro luggage and have used it for years with no issue. It’s what I recommend to anyone that needs a sturdy bag but isn’t going to spend hundreds of dollars on one.

I still think the study is flawed though…you don’t have some of the top luggage manufacturers represented.
All the bags in this review have lifetime warranties, so it's possible that was a compelling criteria. Tumi & Rimowa only have 5 year warranties. Are there any other top luggage manufacturers which still have lifetime warranties?
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 pm I've really liked my Eagle Creek luggage for travel 6-10 times a year. I believe they're going out of business however.

Cheap luggage sucks. When I'm on the other coast the last thing I need is a zipper that breaks on the shuttle to the airport.
I'm also a fan of Eagle Creek's products, both their luggage and their packing products. It looks like Travis Campbell is buying them from VF. Whether he can keep the brand alive remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

OldBallCoach wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am Wondering what has been the most durable luggage for you all. I travel a lot and use gear issued by university for most trips which gets beat up badly and replaced often...DW has tried about everything and found that Northface Rolling Thunder seems to be fairly ok for casual use but wants something a little more durable for her more " dressy" type of clothing....she tried Mono and that did not hold up well...looking at Away right now...any thoughts from frequent travelers. Thanks in advance...
I've used quite a few pieces from Tumi, Briggs and Riley and Rimowa. All have their pluses and minuses, but B&R not only has the best warranty (lifetime) but it's also the only brand for which I've never needed to use the warranty.

I also have an Away carry on and like it, but haven't taken it on enough trips (due to COVID) to be able to judge durability, however reports from other users are positive.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

David Jay wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 pm
+2 (or is it 3?)

Tumi quality at about 1/3 the price. I can't wear them out (multi-million-miler).
As I noted above I'm a big fan of B&R, but they are definitely not 1/3 the price of Tumi. Full retail prices are actually quite close - around $600 for a carry-on from either brand. Of course there are sales, but even then I've found Tumi bags for about the same or sometimes cheaper than B&R. I'd still recommend B&R over Tumi.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

B&R luggage has shown up a few times at Costco in the past years quite cheap but usually just one type of case so it has to be the one you are looking for. I nearly bought one there a few years ago but that was about the time I gave up on wheeled luggage.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

TravelPro (upper line). Hold up well, can replace the wheels yourself when worn (unlike many Samsonite, etc), and less pricey as compared to Tumi and B&R.
Used widely by pilots and flight attendants.
bagle

Post by bagle »

SmileyFace wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 am TravelPro (upper line). Hold up well, can replace the wheels yourself when worn (unlike many Samsonite, etc), and less pricey as compared to Tumi and B&R.
+1.

TravelPro have hit the sweet spot for me.

They seem to be well-designed and built. All for little more money than Samsonite (that is, much less than B&R or Tumi). Ergonomic extension handle is pretty comfy. Self-aligning spinner wheels make for smooth rolling. Two usual points of failure - zippers and wheels - are pretty robust, in my experience.

Yes, used by the most frequent travelers - pilots and flight attendants - for a reason. The Maxlite line is good value; the Platinum Elite are better - and the top pick of Wirecutter.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I travel for a living - Briggs & Riley. It’s light and durable, and it’s the last bag you’ll ever have to buy. I think they always have a sale around the holidays so I’d wait a couple of months.

Edit: The Tumi is similarly priced to the B&R, but it’s heavier and the warranty is (I think) 5 years. I see no good argument for purchasing a Tumi over B&R. I did extensive research on luggage several years ago.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Boglegirl81 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:09 am I travel for a living - Briggs & Riley. It’s light and durable, and it’s the last bag you’ll ever have to buy. I think they always have a sale around the holidays so I’d wait a couple of months.

Edit: The Tumi is similarly priced to the B&R, but it’s heavier and the warranty is (I think) 5 years. I see no good argument for purchasing a Tumi over B&R. I did extensive research on luggage several years ago.
Matter of personal preference really. Yes the B&R warranty is better but some prefer features and aspects of Tumi more than B&R. I do wish they’d bring back the lifetime warranty but probably won’t ever happen. Luckily I’ve never had to send any of my bags in for repair.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I'm a die-hard Red Oxx fan. I have both an Air Boss and a Mini Boss. The Air Boss is a full-size carry-on, the Mini Boss is sized as a personal item and makes a perfect bag for short business or weekend trips. I once spent a week in Spain with the Mini Boss as my only bag and loved not having to deal with anything bigger.

Unlike the others discussed in this thread, Red Oxx bags are soft-sided without wheels. Personally I prefer that configuration. Made in the USA, lifetime warranty and just about indestructible in my experience. I've taken my Air Boss all around the world without any issues.

Huge YKK zippers, cordura nylon, double stitching on all seams.

I've dropped it in the Gulf of Thailand, watched it fall out of pickup trucks on jungle "roads" and taken it on a few hundred thousand miles of flights.

gerntz

Post by gerntz »

To me, luggage is a low percentage item of travel costs. Net, I go for lightweight & if it starts failing after a few trips, so what & I replace it.
eric321

Post by eric321 »

I like travel pro, they and the crew focused line. They started using the crew name more on consumer names. Check the zippers, wheels, handles, and make sure it feels sturdy and solid. Travelpro also has a higher end line with a lifetime warranty.

Lifetime warranty of the Briggs and Riley and travel pro sounds great BUT if the bag breaks mid trip you are going to be really frustrated. Finding a repair shop isn't easy and is time consuming.

If you are in the market for a $600-1000 suitcase and travel for work, you probably don't want to spend most of a day taking your suitcase to a repair shop during business hours and picking it up. Buying another $200 suitcase new is probably easier.

Suitcases go on sale. Know what you want, wait for a sale to buy vs most other people wait for a trip or a suitcase to break to buy.

I have a closet of suitcases. Lots of travel pros and 3 b&rs pruchased during a store closing sale.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

bagle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 am
SmileyFace wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 am TravelPro (upper line). Hold up well, can replace the wheels yourself when worn (unlike many Samsonite, etc), and less pricey as compared to Tumi and B&R.
+1.

TravelPro have hit the sweet spot for me.

They seem to be well-designed and built. All for little more money than Samsonite (that is, much less than B&R or Tumi). Ergonomic extension handle is pretty comfy. Self-aligning spinner wheels make for smooth rolling. Two usual points of failure - zippers and wheels - are pretty robust, in my experience.

Yes, used by the most frequent travelers - pilots and flight attendants - for a reason. The Maxlite line is good value; the Platinum Elite are better - and the top pick of Wirecutter.
Travelpro Platinum Elite Spinner, 21" on Amazon today for $263.99, I bought another one today. I wouldn't buy anything else.
Looks like they are running out of colors...
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I’ve traveled my whole life and never had an issue with the zipper breaking. When I travel on business, I never check my bags and only take carry-ons. At $600 a pop for the namebrand suitcases, I can buy 10 Samsonite’s at my local Marshall‘s or Ross. So what if B&R comes with a lifetime warranty, the hassle of getting the zipper fixed, for example, far outweighs throwing away the old Samsonite and buying a new one. Plus, I prefer the light weight, and there’s no way I would go through 10 bags in my lifetime.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

I have an older ll bean roller that seams nice. It's been a lot of places and has held up.

Also have gotten travelpro on deals for others. Feel a bit lighter but so far in good shape.

Also like outdoor brand duffels with backpack straps a lot. Great for getting through airports, various connections, incredibly durable, etc...
Last edited by blastoff on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Ependytis wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:50 pm I’ve traveled my whole life and never had an issue with the zipper breaking. When I travel on business, I never check my bags and only take carry-ons. At $600 a pop for the namebrand suitcases, I can buy 10 Samsonite’s at my local Marshall‘s or Ross. So what if B&R comes with a lifetime warranty, the hassle of getting the zipper fixed, for example, far outweighs throwing away the old Samsonite and buying a new one. Plus, I prefer the light weight, and there’s no way I would go through 10 bags in my lifetime.
And you can invest the money before you buy bags 2-10 in an index fund : )
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Ependytis wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:50 pm I’ve traveled my whole life and never had an issue with the zipper breaking. When I travel on business, I never check my bags and only take carry-ons. At $600 a pop for the namebrand suitcases, I can buy 10 Samsonite’s at my local Marshall‘s or Ross. So what if B&R comes with a lifetime warranty, the hassle of getting the zipper fixed, for example, far outweighs throwing away the old Samsonite and buying a new one. Plus, I prefer the light weight, and there’s no way I would go through 10 bags in my lifetime.
It’s not simply just a warranty or quality you’re paying for but also better features and better ergonomics.

I much prefer to spend the money up front to get a well-built suitcase instead of buying a new one every few years.
Piper59

Post by Piper59 »

I second this. I travelled every week for 20+ years and these are the best suitcases. Expensive but the best!
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

Patagonia Black Hole MLC (maximum legal carryon).

I ditched wheeled luggage a while back. Soft-sided so you can pack it more or less depending on local carry-on requirements. You can also overfill it past those limits if you want to. Bulletproof fabric, light, multiple carry options, under $200. I hope it's the only bag I'll ever need.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

cbs2002 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:57 am I ditched wheeled luggage a while back.
cbs2002 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:57 am I hope it's the only bag I'll ever need.
A bit surprised at this because carrying a packed piece of luggage can easily cause or exacerbate back, neck or shoulder injuries. Ask me how i know. :(
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Luckywon wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:34 am
cbs2002 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:57 am I hope it's the only bag I'll ever need.
A bit surprised at this because carrying a packed piece of luggage can easily cause or exacerbate back, neck or shoulder injuries. Ask me how i know. :(
I have also ditched wheeled luggage and I am no spring chicken (over 50). I travel with a single 30l Tom Bihn Aeronaunt (https://www.tombihn.com/products/aerona ... 6381008327) as my only baggage. To give you a sense of the size it will easily fit under the seat even on puddle jumpers (and the overhead bins on the same where wheeled luggage will not fit). Because of its size it can only weigh so much (you can carry it as a backpack--how I normally use it or you can carry it in hands or with shoulder strap). I have zero issues with back or shoulder issues (though I do exercise regularly). It is amazing to be so mobile. I visited a Greek island this summer where the only way to get to my AirBnB was multiple staircases that were 500 steps total. I just had this on my back and didn't notice it and those with wheel bags were really struggling. I doubt I'll ever go back to a wheeled bags again. Learn to travel light and you might find it changes the whole travel experience for you (it completely changed it for me). I do get some odd looks sometimes from hotels, airlines and AirBnb hosts like that is all you have luggage-wise?
Last edited by THY4373 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 pm
It’s not simply just a warranty or quality you’re paying for but also better features and better ergonomics.

I much prefer to spend the money up front to get a well-built suitcase instead of buying a new one every few years.
Agreed now that I have had a truly well designed piece of luggage it would be hard for me to go back to something less well thought out. I have also had a cheaper bag fail on me mid-trip when I wasn't in a position to get a replacement for a few days and it was a real pain. I travel enough that I'll spend the few hundred on a decent bag that meets my needs as that is a rounding error in my travel budget.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 am
I have also ditched wheeled luggage and I am no spring chicken (over 50). I travel with a single 30l Tom Bihn Aeronaunt (https://www.tombihn.com/products/aerona ... 6381008327) as my only baggage. To give you a sense of the size it will easily fit under the seat even on puddle jumpers (and the overhead bins on the same where wheeled luggage will not fit). Because of its size it can only weigh so much (you can carry it as a backpack--how I normally use it or you can carry it in hands or with shoulder strap). I have zero issues with back or shoulder issues (though I do exercise regularly). It is amazing to be so mobile. I visited a Greek island this summer where the only way to get to my AirBnB was multiple staircases that were 500 steps total. I just had this on my back and didn't notice it and those with wheel bags were really struggling. I doubt I'll ever go back to a wheeled bags again. Learn to travel light and you might find it changes the whole travel experience for you (it completely changed it for me). I do get some odd looks sometimes from hotels, airlines and AirBnb hosts like that is all you have luggage-wise?
:sharebeer

Lightweight one-bag travel is the way to go.

Can also make things easier on days when air travel gets screwed up by weather or mechanical issues. Far easier to switch flights if you don't have any checked luggage to worry about. That's saved me a couple times.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Wow, great expertise in this thread. I needed that.

I had always assumed the OP was Steve Spurrier until this thread. I figure there's no way Steve would be buying new luggage.
This time is the same
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

padams wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:01 pm I travel every week. I rarely check a bag, but when I do, it is stuffed and heavy. I am on a plane nearly every week, and live out of my suitcase. I like my Briggs and Riley "two-wheeler" carry on bags, which I have had for the past eight years or so. I use a smaller (21") in the warmer months, and a larger (24") in the cooler months. They are pricey, and a bit heavy even when empty, but they are sturdy and you can get a fifty dollar break by buying during their yearly sale. These bags are advertised as having a lifetime warranty. I have exercised the warranty three times, each time for a zipper pull. No issues. I have never replaced the wheels, which was required every two years or so on previous bags. When I need new wheels, Briggs and Riley will send me the wheels and tools to make the swap myself. Highly recommend this brand of high quality, no-nonsense luggage.
Question on warranties in general: how/where do you get service? I think I read there is a charge for shipping parts to you? But for items you can fix (zippers), do you have to ship the bag at your cost? I can only see that being practical if the manufacturer allows you to pay shipping at their rate, not your personal retail rate (as in sends you a shipping label and then charges you for that.) Years ago I could get my Samsonite and American Tourister bags serviced under warranty for free by dropping them at a factory outlet store, but that ended a couple of decades ago.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:02 pm
padams wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:01 pm I travel every week. I rarely check a bag, but when I do, it is stuffed and heavy. I am on a plane nearly every week, and live out of my suitcase. I like my Briggs and Riley "two-wheeler" carry on bags, which I have had for the past eight years or so. I use a smaller (21") in the warmer months, and a larger (24") in the cooler months. They are pricey, and a bit heavy even when empty, but they are sturdy and you can get a fifty dollar break by buying during their yearly sale. These bags are advertised as having a lifetime warranty. I have exercised the warranty three times, each time for a zipper pull. No issues. I have never replaced the wheels, which was required every two years or so on previous bags. When I need new wheels, Briggs and Riley will send me the wheels and tools to make the swap myself. Highly recommend this brand of high quality, no-nonsense luggage.
Question on warranties in general: how/where do you get service? I think I read there is a charge for shipping parts to you? But for items you can fix (zippers), do you have to ship the bag at your cost? I can only see that being practical if the manufacturer allows you to pay shipping at their rate, not your personal retail rate (as in sends you a shipping label and then charges you for that.) Years ago I could get my Samsonite and American Tourister bags serviced under warranty for free by dropping them at a factory outlet store, but that ended a couple of decades ago.
The Briggs and Riley service is great. You can bring the bag in to any of the authorized dealers/repair centers in your area, or ship the bag to the factory if it requires major surgery. I've had my bag for 14 years and its been around the world more times than I can count. Its been serviced twice locally and once at the factory. Money well spent vs. cheap bags that wear out and need to be replaced.
casun

Post by casun »

THY4373 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 pm Love my Tom Bihn Aeronaut. Made in America. It has been with me to 40 countries and still looks new.
i have tom bihn aeronaut size 30 and 45 and absolutely love them both.
CalPoppy

Post by CalPoppy »

Osprey. Great features and function, and has held up for many years of travel and abuse.
ItzaHoot

Post by ItzaHoot »

If flying almost every week, averaging 150 to 200 nights per year in hotes qualifies me as an experienced traveler, then my favorite is Travel Pro but I'm not lacked into them. My wife and I generally think of luggage as consumables and we generally look at Amazon, Costco, and Sam’s Club for replacements. Also recommend not buying super expensive and flashy brand names since those are more likely to be targeted by thieves.

An earlier poster mentioned that the zipper pull tabs don't seem to hold up as well as they used to. I totally agree! My solution has been to create an annual reoccurring event on my calendar and give all of the zippers on my luggage and computer bags a little squeeze to recluse the gap in the outside of the zipper that the pull tabs is attached with.
ItzaHoot

Post by ItzaHoot »

If flying almost every week, averaging 150 to 200 nights per year in hotels qualifies me as an experienced traveler, then my favorite is Travel Pro but I'm not lacked into them. My wife and I generally think of luggage as consumables and we generally look at Amazon, Costco, and Sam’s Club for replacements. Also recommend not buying super expensive and flashy brand names since those are more likely to be targeted by thieves.

An earlier poster mentioned that the zipper pull tabs don't seem to hold up as well as they used to. I totally agree! My solution has been to create an annual reoccurring event on my calendar and give all of the zippers on my luggage and computer bags a little squeeze to close the gap in the outside of the zipper that the pull tabs is attached with.
Last edited by ItzaHoot on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:16 pm
THY4373 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 am
cbs2002 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:57 am I ditched wheeled luggage a while back. [...] I hope it's the only bag I'll ever need.
I have also ditched wheeled luggage and I am no spring chicken (over 50). [...] It is amazing to be so mobile. I visited a Greek island this summer where the only way to get to my AirBnB was multiple staircases that were 500 steps total. I just had this on my back and didn't notice it and those with wheel bags were really struggling. I doubt I'll ever go back to a wheeled bags again. Learn to travel light and you might find it changes the whole travel experience for you (it completely changed it for me).
Lightweight one-bag travel is the way to go.

Can also make things easier on days when air travel gets screwed up by weather or mechanical issues. Far easier to switch flights if you don't have any checked luggage to worry about. That's saved me a couple times.
Yup, and to Luckywon's point about potential back trouble, that "lightweight" part is key to one-bag travel. While travelpacks can carry a TON of stuff, in practice you won't really want to cram in more than you can comfortably carry around.

Another great thing, not so much about one-bag travel in general but specifically one bag carried on your back, is that it leaves both your hands free. You're not trying to juggle your cup of coffee and breakfast sandwich with one hand while pulling a bag along back to your gate, for example. (Also easier for us gentlemen when it comes to visiting the facilities at the airport.)

BTW, I used to have the Patagonia MLC that cbs2002 mentioned, and it's a good bag. I did switch to the Rick Steves bag though and like it a bit better. For one, the "hinge" is on the short side rather than the long side, which makes it a bit easier to dig in and get things when it's in an overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you. Has a nice, mesh water bottle holder on the side that's very handy. Also it still comes with a waist belt, whereas I think the MLCs dropped them a while back (although my old one had one). On the other hand, I think the MLC does a better job of looking like a "normal"piece of luggage, which some might prefer for business travel. The RS bag definitely has a "backpack" vibe going on.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

ItzaHoot wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:35 am If flying almost every week, averaging 150 to 200 nights per year in hotes qualifies me as an experienced traveler, then my favorite is Travel Pro but I'm not lacked into them. My wife and I generally think of luggage as consumables and we generally look at Amazon, Costco, and Sam’s Club for replacements. Also recommend not buying super expensive and flashy brand names since those are more likely to be targeted by thieves.
We travel about the same per year and I just can't think of any time I've ever felt like my bag was being targeted because it was a higher-end name.

Do you think baggage poaching is a big problem anymore with all of the cameras at any major airport? I would think more-so than anything, opportunistic thieves would target high-end vacation destinations where large numbers of wealthy Asian tourists congregate, and in their Rimowa luggage, are packing multi-thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I use a Pelican 1510. I used to use them for equipment but I find they are the the best for clothes, etc too.
https://www.amazon.com/1510-Carry-Case- ... UTF8&psc=1
Nor super light but waterproof, distinctive, good old-style rollers, fits into overheads easily and will last a lifetime.
Pelican 1535 is very similar but available in colors other than black and is a little lighter.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Okay, I promise I don't secretly work for Rick Steves :D But one more post about my bag of choice, just to say that it happens to be on sale until 10/31/21, for anyone who is interested in giving it a shot: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:06 pm Do you think baggage poaching is a big problem anymore with all of the cameras at any major airport?
It's not just the airport. For trips where we will be on the road and/or sea, luggage that marks me or the bag as being a preferable target for thieves is something I prefer to avoid.