Do I need a US Passport if I have another one

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Do I need a US Passport if I have another one

Post by Artful Dodger »

Here’s the situation. A while back my daughter lost her US passport. She has a Italian passport as well. We’re planning a trip to Mexico in January and thinking of having our daughters join us for one of the weeks. I think she needs to replace the US passport to make the trip, based on information I had read in the past, but I really can’t find anything to back up my supposition. She thinks the Italian passport will suffice.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? If you know the answer, or preferably have a link to a state department FAQ that addresses the question that would be awesome.

Thanks!

In case I need to clarify, we’re regular US residents born and raised here. Mom’s parents were Italian and that parentage was the basis for the second passport.
ScubaHogg

Re: Do I need a US Passport if I have another one

Post by ScubaHogg »

Not hard to imagine a COVID situation where the US stops letting in non-citizens. Now sounds like you daughter is a citizen, but I could imagine having trouble with the airline gate agents in Mexico (or even the airline website when purchasing the ticket) even letting her board the airplane.

Having a US passport would give options. For the relatively minimal work it is to get one I don't know why you wouldn't.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

A US citizen is technically required to leave and enter the US on their US passport. Not sure how rigorously this is enforced. With CoVid restrictions, it seems like a gamble. You should have time to get her a replacement passport (they say 10 weeks).

See the bottom of this page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ality.html

Also, be sure to report her old passport lost. You'll have to do this to get a replacement: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... tolen.html
drk

Post by drk »

The US government doesn't like seeing its citizens travel on a non-US passport:
US State Department wrote: U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.
Last edited by drk on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I would verify that Mexico doesn't require a Visa with an Italian passport.

My biggest worries would be getting into and out of the U.S. without a U.S. Passport and not going to Italy. Essentially the U.S. becomes a third country in the process and either the U.S or Mexico might require tickets booked through to Italy as proof. If she was flying directly to and back to Italy, I wouldn't think it would be an issue at all. Also, if something bad were to happen in Mexico that requires one to be flown out involuntarily, they would probably only fly her back to Italy which might not be desirable.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

When entering or leaving the USA I use my US passport. Entering and leaving a foreign country that I am not a citizen of I use whichever passport I wish although one will likely need to leave with the same passport they used to enter. We've had this discussion before on Bogleheads and technically it might be possible to get into the US without the US passport but personally I'd rather not deal with any headaches. Immigration officials tend to do what they damn well please and you are going to be hard pressed to convince them otherwise.
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

drk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am The US government doesn't like seeing its citizens travel on a non-US passport:
US State Department wrote: U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.
It is stronger than that, it is a legal requirement. And upon re-entry to the US when they ask her how long she is staying in the US what would she say? She obviously would not have a Visa or a Green Card so she would have to enter on Visa Waiver Program and I think even that she would get caught. Replace the passport, you are just asking for trouble here.
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Thank you all. The link to the state department requirements for dual nationals is what I was what I was looking for.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Also, for Mexico and Canada if you are using land travel, a passport card is enough. It used to be faster to get it then passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... /card.html
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

ray.james wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:45 pm Also, for Mexico and Canada if you are using land travel, a passport card is enough. It used to be faster to get it then passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... /card.html
A passport card is only good for land crossings or domestic flights. To fly to Mexico or Canada, you need a regular passport.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Beachey wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:37 pm
drk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am The US government doesn't like seeing its citizens travel on a non-US passport:
It is stronger than that, it is a legal requirement. And upon re-entry to the US when they ask her how long she is staying in the US what would she say? She obviously would not have a Visa or a Green Card so she would have to enter on Visa Waiver Program and I think even that she would get caught. Replace the passport, you are just asking for trouble here.
If you want to be picky, what the State Department says about the topic isn’t exactly what the law requires, so saying that the “government doesn’t like seeing [it]” may be a fair portrayal. But the law does require that a US citizen entering or exiting the country “bears” a valid US passport, so she’s going to need to get one whether she “uses” it or not.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

jpelder wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:35 am A US citizen is technically required to leave and enter the US on their US passport. Not sure how rigorously this is enforced. With CoVid restrictions, it seems like a gamble. You should have time to get her a replacement passport (they say 10 weeks).

See the bottom of this page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... ality.html

Also, be sure to report her old passport lost. You'll have to do this to get a replacement: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... tolen.html
It's definitely a problem. After my grandmother died, I left the same day on my French passport for the funeral. When I came back, I entered the US on my French passport, because my US passport was at the Vietnamese consulate for visa processing. They let me in.

However, it came up in my Global entry interview a few years later. CBP grilled me on it. I was still approved for Global Entry.

I have since learned that I am supposed to enter the US on my US passport, and France on my French passport, so I have to travel with both passports when I visit France. France has never given me any trouble entering with my US passport before, though.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

ray.james wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:45 pm a passport card is enough. It used to be faster to get it then passport.
The last time I renewed my passport (2014) I got both; I received them in the same week just a couple days apart. I don't recall which one was first but if the card was faster it wasn't by much.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

If the daughter tried to enter the US on an Italian passport what visa would she have? If she came in on a limited tourist visa on entry, she would have to leave at the end of the permitted period of stay.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 am We’re planning a trip to Mexico in January and thinking of having our daughters join us for one of the weeks.
She should apply for it ASAP. With the holidays it could be close on if she gets it in time or not.
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

madbrain wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:16 pm
jpelder wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:35 am A US citizen is technically required to leave and enter the US on their US passport. Not sure how rigorously this is enforced. With CoVid restrictions, it seems like a gamble. You should have time to get her a replacement passport (they say 10 weeks).

It's definitely a problem. After my grandmother died, I left the same day on my French passport for the funeral. When I came back, I entered the US on my French passport, because my US passport was at the Vietnamese consulate for visa processing. They let me in.

However, it came up in my Global entry interview a few years later. CBP grilled me on it. I was still approved for Global Entry.

I have since learned that I am supposed to enter the US on my US passport, and France on my French passport, so I have to travel with both passports when I visit France. France has never given me any trouble entering with my US passport before, though.
When you re-entered did you tell them you were a US citizen? Arguably going for a funeral might be considered an emergency and the immigration official may have been less inclined to give you a hard time. In the OP’a case, there is no issue with entering Mexico on an Italian passport (at least from a US perspective) but the policy is clear you are supposed to renter with your US passport. Ultimately as a US citizen, except for extraordinary cases they have to let you in even without your passport but they can make your life miserable.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Beachey wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:20 pm
madbrain wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:16 pm

When you re-entered did you tell them you were a US citizen? Arguably going for a funeral might be considered an emergency and the immigration official may have been less inclined to give you a hard time. In the OP’a case, there is no issue with entering Mexico on an Italian passport (at least from a US perspective) but the policy is clear you are supposed to renter with your US passport. Ultimately as a US citizen, except for extraordinary cases they have to let you in even without your passport but they can make your life miserable.
Yes. I had a picture of the new passport on my phone. It had come back to my US residence during my trip.
They still fingerprinted me and processed me as a French citizen entering the US, apparently.
Immigration wasn't the biggest issue. Boarding the flight was. Because I didn't have a flight to "return" to France, where I didn't reside. Airline had to call CBP to clear me to board.
If I had known how much trouble this was, I would have had my US passport shipped to France during my trip.
Didn't want to risk it being lost, though.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 am Here’s the situation. A while back my daughter lost her US passport. She has a Italian passport as well. We’re planning a trip to Mexico in January and thinking of having our daughters join us for one of the weeks. I think she needs to replace the US passport to make the trip, based on information I had read in the past, but I really can’t find anything to back up my supposition. She thinks the Italian passport will suffice.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? If you know the answer, or preferably have a link to a state department FAQ that addresses the question that would be awesome.

Thanks!

In case I need to clarify, we’re regular US residents born and raised here. Mom’s parents were Italian and that parentage was the basis for the second passport.
There is a US regulation (https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/part-53) that US citizens should bear US passport entering/exiting US but this is not enforced and there is no penalty for violating this. Airline flying back to US will require an ESTA (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta) with the Italian passport.

Upon arrival, CBP will ask about what the plans are for the passenger in in the US and how long passenger is staying when presenting a foreign passport. When passenger announce they are in fact US citizen, passenger will likely be sent to secondary processing to determine US citizenship. After that passenger will be on their way but with a slap on the wrist to travel with US passport next time.
lthenderson wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am I would verify that Mexico doesn't require a Visa with an Italian passport.

My biggest worries would be getting into and out of the U.S. without a U.S. Passport and not going to Italy. Essentially the U.S. becomes a third country in the process and either the U.S or Mexico might require tickets booked through to Italy as proof. If she was flying directly to and back to Italy, I wouldn't think it would be an issue at all. Also, if something bad were to happen in Mexico that requires one to be flown out involuntarily, they would probably only fly her back to Italy which might not be desirable.
Mexico does not require visas for Schengen passports and apologies but the the 2nd paragraph is incorrect. There is no requirement (if any required by a specific country) for a flight to passport home country.

Only requirement is a flight out of the foreign destination country. For example, a UK expat living in Singapore can do Singapore->Malaysia->Thailand->Hong Kong->Korea->Japan->Taiwan->Guam->Australia trip without having to backtrack to UK or Singapore after every country. Another example is US citizen flying US->Germany->UK->Canada->US with stops in every country without having to fly back to US in between.
EddyB wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:12 pm
Beachey wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:37 pm
If you want to be picky, what the State Department says about the topic isn’t exactly what the law requires, so saying that the “government doesn’t like seeing [it]” may be a fair portrayal. But the law does require that a US citizen entering or exiting the country “bears” a valid US passport, so she’s going to need to get one whether she “uses” it or not.
As mentioned above, passenger needs to apply for ESTA to be able to board. Passenger will enter the US no problem when announcing she is US citizen but may experience delay as CBP will sent her to secondary processing for verification.
Watty wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:15 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 am We’re planning a trip to Mexico in January and thinking of having our daughters join us for one of the weeks.
She should apply for it ASAP. With the holidays it could be close on if she gets it in time or not.
This would be the recommended option. Given processing delays the entire year, I would recommend applying ASAP with the expedited option. As the most recent passport is lost, application by mail is not an option.
Last edited by seawolf21 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

seawolf21 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:35 pm Probably an airline-specific. I fly US<->Canada on with one-way tickets several times per year. American, Air Canada, United don't care there is no flight out of Canada on the booking. Only airline that ever ask is Delta and I simply said I'm departing Canada in 3 days. A return flight to France is not required by CBP. Only a flight out of the US is required.
Right. I did have a flight out of the US scheduled, one to Vietnam, just a few days later, but they didn't ask about it.
Never actually made that flight, because I got very sick on the France - US flights (had a connection in Atlanta).
deikel

Post by deikel »

Interesting answers here

At the end of the day, its in the CBP discretion to grant you access to the country or not (the US I mean). You can enter on many different documents as long as you convince the local CBP officer that they should let you in - there is exactly zero 'right' to let you in, not even for a US citizen ! So bringing the best possible documentation to let you in is very much in your best interest and obviously a US passport is supposed to do just that. But there is leeway for the officer.

Showing another countries passport when trying to enter the US brings you exactly no where - other then increasing the chance that they believe that you are indeed you. If you have a visa in that passport, that may help, but even then its not a guarantee. Visas from oversees embassies are only guidelines, CBP decides ad hoc.

With other words, the respective countries passports are tickets to let you back into that country - no one cares much if you leave and what you have or don't have on you. The only ones that care are the airlines, because they have to transport you right back to where you came from if CBP reject you entry, so they don't want that hassle.

In OPs case, I think his daughter would have a hard time and get an unpleasant surprise when going back to the US - I would not risk that at all. Besides, she may wish to report her passport stolen lest someone already took advantage of it and causing her problems in a whole other way.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
student

Post by student »

deikel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:22 pm At the end of the day, its in the CBP discretion to grant you access to the country or not (the US I mean). You can enter on many different documents as long as you convince the local CBP officer that they should let you in - there is exactly zero 'right' to let you in, not even for a US citizen ! So bringing the best possible documentation to let you in is very much in your best interest and obviously a US passport is supposed to do just that. But there is leeway for the officer.
Can you clarify? I do not think a CBP officer can deny entry to US citizens under normal circumstances. If one has a US passport, I don't see how one can be denied entry. (I suppose the CBP officer may think the passport is fake and it will cause a delay.) This is why I get my info. https://www.aclunc.org/our-work/know-yo ... orts-entry

It says "U.S. Citizens: You only have to answer questions establishing your identity and citizenship (in addition to customs-related questions). Refusal to answer other questions may cause delay, but officials may not deny you entry into the U.S. if you have established your identity and citizenship."
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

A CBP officer can deny entry to the bearer of a US Passport if he/she thinks the passport is counterfeit, or does not belong to the bearer.
Other than that, they have to let the person in, since a US Passport is considered prima facie evidence of citizenship.

A CBP officer can deny entry to anyone claiming to be a US citizen a lot more easily.

The OP daughter would try to reenter the US how, exactly ? Claiming citizenship the Italian passport is no good and she would be at the mercy of the interviewing officer.
In order to use her Italian passport, she would either have a visa, which she won't get since she is a citizen, or use the visa waiver program, which as far as I know is suspended due to covid.
deikel

Post by deikel »

student wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:43 pm
deikel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:22 pm At the end of the day, its in the CBP discretion to grant you access to the country or not (the US I mean). You can enter on many different documents as long as you convince the local CBP officer that they should let you in - there is exactly zero 'right' to let you in, not even for a US citizen ! So bringing the best possible documentation to let you in is very much in your best interest and obviously a US passport is supposed to do just that. But there is leeway for the officer.
Can you clarify? I do not think a CBP officer can deny entry to US citizens under normal circumstances. If one has a US passport, I don't see how one can be denied entry. (I suppose the CBP officer may think the passport is fake and it will cause a delay.) This is why I get my info. https://www.aclunc.org/our-work/know-yo ... orts-entry

It says "U.S. Citizens: You only have to answer questions establishing your identity and citizenship (in addition to customs-related questions). Refusal to answer other questions may cause delay, but officials may not deny you entry into the U.S. if you have established your identity and citizenship."
If they have already determined that you are in fact a US citizen, then they will grant you entry (well other then you are on a wanted list, then you may or may not get 'entry', but they take you into custody anyway. Or they technically do not even let you enter and rather take you in but that's side notes.

I was just suggesting that just waving a particular paper with bluish grey cover is not a magic wand. If they suspect you to enter on false premises you will have to wait till they make a decision and they can refuse you entry - at which point you can appeal their decision yadayadaya.....I just wanted to point out the enormous decision power a single CBP officer has in the moment (for good or for bad).

Will they do that nilly willy, no, of course not. If there is some doubt, the officer will most certainly confer with others or their supervisor and so on. But at the end of the day, you may be a citizen and they still can deny you entry based on the papers you show and the information you provide until you proof them otherwise.

I am just amused that US citizens have this idea that their citizenship somehow shows on their forehead, when in reality all you do is present your person and your papers. That's obviously why you enter all your information even before you fly back to the US so databases can be searched, information can be verified even before you land and both the verification process can run smoothly and with less disruption to your travel plans and their work. That's what they scan your passport for, to search the database for cross reference, validity of that particular passport, history ect. That's why you should have a passport in the first place - most checks have been done before one gets issued and the burden of proof becomes significantly less when having one. Or the other way round, their burden of finding fault with your 'application for re-entry' becomes a lot higher when you have a passport and the passport checks out.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
student

Post by student »

deikel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:14 pm
student wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:43 pm

If they have already determined that you are in fact a US citizen, then they will grant you entry (well other then you are on a wanted list, then you may or may not get 'entry', but they take you into custody anyway. Or they technically do not even let you enter and rather take you in but that's side notes.

I was just suggesting that just waving a particular paper with bluish grey cover is not a magic wand. If they suspect you to enter on false premises you will have to wait till they make a decision and they can refuse you entry - at which point you can appeal their decision yadayadaya.....I just wanted to point out the enormous decision power a single CBP officer has in the moment (for good or for bad).

Will they do that nilly willy, no, of course not. If there is some doubt, the officer will most certainly confer with others or their supervisor and so on. But at the end of the day, you may be a citizen and they still can deny you entry based on the papers you show and the information you provide until you proof them otherwise.

I am just amused that US citizens have this idea that their citizenship somehow shows on their forehead, when in reality all you do is present your person and your papers. That's obviously why you enter all your information even before you fly back to the US so databases can be searched, information can be verified even before you land and both the verification process can run smoothly and with less disruption to your travel plans and their work. That's what they scan your passport for, to search the database for cross reference, validity of that particular passport, history ect. That's why you should have a passport in the first place - most checks have been done before one gets issued and the burden of proof becomes significantly less when having one. Or the other way round, their burden of finding fault with your 'application for re-entry' becomes a lot higher when you have a passport and the passport checks out.
Then I think we agree.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

deikel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:22 pm Interesting answers here

At the end of the day, its in the CBP discretion to grant you access to the country or not (the US I mean). You can enter on many different documents as long as you convince the local CBP officer that they should let you in - there is exactly zero 'right' to let you in, not even for a US citizen ! So bringing the best possible documentation to let you in is very much in your best interest and obviously a US passport is supposed to do just that. But there is leeway for the officer.

Showing another countries passport when trying to enter the US brings you exactly no where - other then increasing the chance that they believe that you are indeed you. If you have a visa in that passport, that may help, but even then its not a guarantee. Visas from oversees embassies are only guidelines, CBP decides ad hoc.

With other words, the respective countries passports are tickets to let you back into that country - no one cares much if you leave and what you have or don't have on you. The only ones that care are the airlines, because they have to transport you right back to where you came from if CBP reject you entry, so they don't want that hassle.

In OPs case, I think his daughter would have a hard time and get an unpleasant surprise when going back to the US - I would not risk that at all. Besides, she may wish to report her passport stolen lest someone already took advantage of it and causing her problems in a whole other way.
Bolded section is not correct. One cannot be denied entry into the US as a US citizen with/without US passport. As indicated in my prior post, traveler will have to indicate they are in fact a US citizen and be sent to secondary for processing.

Determining US citizenship could merely be CBP requesting a copy of the passport records from State, getting a copy of birth certificate from relevant county clerk, verifying citizenship status with Social Security, having someone bring birth certificate/older passport to airport, confirming school records (if currently a student) etc etc.

Having a valid US passport in possession would of course make substantiating claim of US citizenship a lot easier. The chances of OP's daughter being denied entry by CBP with just an Italian passport is zero as long as she can make it to port of entry and claim she is a US citizen. I would put the chances of her being denied boarding due to not having an air ticket out of the US at check-in being higher.
Thesaints wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:54 pm A CBP officer can deny entry to the bearer of a US Passport if he/she thinks the passport is counterfeit, or does not belong to the bearer.
Other than that, they have to let the person in, since a US Passport is considered prima facie evidence of citizenship.

A CBP officer can deny entry to anyone claiming to be a US citizen a lot more easily.

The OP daughter would try to reenter the US how, exactly ? Claiming citizenship the Italian passport is no good and she would be at the mercy of the interviewing officer.
In order to use her Italian passport, she would either have a visa, which she won't get since she is a citizen, or use the visa waiver program, which as far as I know is suspended due to covid.
VWP is not suspended. An ESTA is required.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Secondary inspection depending on the airport may take hours to clear, so securing a US passport before re-entering the US is just a good idea.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

seawolf21 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:12 pm VWP is not suspended. An ESTA is required.
I thought covid had stopped all tourist travel from Italy (and a bunch of other countries). It may have been reinstated just now.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Thesaints wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:02 am
seawolf21 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:12 pm VWP is not suspended. An ESTA is required.
I thought covid had stopped all tourist travel from Italy (and a bunch of other countries). It may have been reinstated just now.
That's the Presidential Proclamation restricting entry into US if traveler has been physically present in 30 or so countries in the past 14 days. So if you have an Italian passport but have not been in those 30 or so countries during the past 14 days (eg studying in Canada) you are not barred from to fly into the US on an Italian passport on VWP/ESTA.

On the flip side, if you have have a Canadian passport but have been physically present in one of those 30 or so countries, you would not be allowed into the US but if same individual has just been in Canada during that timeframe, they are allowed to fly in.

The determining factor is not the country which issued the passport; it’s where the passport holder has been during the past 14 days.