Trip To Savannah

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
choral54

Trip To Savannah

Post by choral54 »

I am going to Savannah, Georgia next week for two and a half days next week before driving to Jacksonville, Florida to see my sister. Any suggestions for the best things to do to best enjoy the city and take in what it has to offer in that amount of time? Would you visit Tybee Island? Thanks for you input. Best places to eat? Places to visit?
DoubleComma

Re: Trip To Savannah

Post by DoubleComma »

We went to Savanah a couple years ago as one of our stops over a Spring Break trip with the kids. Enjoyed it, beautiful city and great restaurants. We explored the water front, took a bus tour, and had ice cream at Leopolds. That was a day and half….then we spent a day at Tybee island. We are beach family and the day on Tybee was fantastic. No way would I have wanted another day to look at old buildings and parks vs a day on the beach.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

We didn't do the Tybee Island thing, but Savannah is a great walking city.

We stayed at the DeSoto and enjoyed it. Great location to get out and explore, nice lobby bar and got a great corner room with a balcony.

Savannah has tons of shops, excellent restaurants, bars, parks and historic stuff. Just plan to get out on foot.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Atilla wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 am We didn't do the Tybee Island thing, but Savannah is a great walking city.
In October, yes, but in July not so much.

Anyway- I enjoyed touring one of the old houses. There was an old restaurant somewhere that had something to do with pirates. There was a historic fort nearby. Out of the highway there was another restaurant called the Filling Station. Went to the first, not the second.

It was some years ago so memory is vague. Savannah will be a fine place to visit for a few days now that it's cool.
spy587

Post by spy587 »

We love Savannah. A couple favorites:

Food:
- The Grey is amazing, best restaurant in Savannah and one of the best in the South
- The Olde Pink House is a very cool environment; food is good but not great
- Savannah Candy Kitchen is can't miss - love the prailines

Other things:
- Definitely grab a drink and explore the Riverfront. There's a new fancy district that seems fun
- Tours of Savannah are great to get a sense of the history and see the variety of squares. We did a free one (tip the guide at the end) that was excellent.
- Savannah Smiles is a great dueling piano bar
- Byrd cookies are great to go in for samples
OMYx3

Post by OMYx3 »

Our last visit was 6 or 7 years ago. We enjoyed Zunzi's for a quick lunch...at least at that time, the food was really good. We stayed in a condo on Tybee Island and were able to watch the dolphins swim from our balcony. We also did a private fishing tour...our kids loved it, including catching some baby sharks. The operator cleaned some trout that we caught and we cooked it back at the condo for a great lunch.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

We took a carriage ride to The Olde Pink House for our 25th, very nice. We asked the server about the building and got a tour, also very cool. We both thought the crab cakes were outstanding. Doing a walking tour was nice. You could do one of the ghost tours if you're into such, we did not. We also did a carriage tour of the town.

Tybee Island was nothing special to us although we did enjoy walking the McQueen's Island Trail that runs along the road to Tybee.

Just realized this was 19 years ago and I'm sure things have changed.
Regards | Bob
Cecelio

Post by Cecelio »

We did the pseudo steamboat cruise since the wife has a thing for buffets. Great buffet! Small, but good, filling food. Not sure how that works with COVID. I enjoyed the ride.
Popping in and out of art galleries on the riverfront at night when you've had a few drinks if fun. Some tourists are from outside the US. Nice to talk with.
Sitting in square parks while people play music is nice.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Aside from just walking around, my trips to Savannah seem to revolve around food. My usual haunts

- peanut shop on River St. Free samples abound.

- pralines at city market.

- Leopolds ice cream. Maybe a bit overrated but still good, and sort of famous.

- Olde Pink House. Food is pretty good, but love the ambience.

I generally walk a loop from the visitors center to Forsyth Park to River St and then back to my car at the visitors center. You wouldn’t want to do this in August, but now is great.
Topic Author
choral54

Post by choral54 »

I really appreciate everyone's input into what make a great trip to Savannah!
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

No trip to Savannah is complete without a visit to Bonaventure Cemetery. Many famous people buried there, lots of statues. We've been to Savannah several times and always try to carve out two or three hours to visit Bonaventure cemetery. We generally have a meal at Paula Deen's restaurant, the Lady & Sons. We saw Paula Deen in Savannah ten or twelve years ago, she was giving an award to someone, my wife talked to her for several minutes. Savannah is a good place to relax for a few days.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

You can always try…

www.TripAdvisor.com
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
kramer

Post by kramer »

I visited Savannah in September of this year.

My Lyft driver suggested Shrimp and Grits at Huey's on the riverfront and it was awesome (along with the Gumbo soup). It was my first time and it really looked gross, but the taste was divine. Got me thinking about how I can make grits at home.

Wormsloe Historic Site with their mile long oak tree road and a short hike (less than 1 kilometer total) to see a bit of history of the early settlers there. And there are optional longer hikes through the forests there. But the oak tree road is amazing.

I found the demonstrations at Old Fort Jackson very good. Firing a civil war era gun, cannon, etc. and going through all the details of what the soldiers went through. I believe they are history students that do this. The fort itself was not as interesting, just the demonstrations, which are given daily at certain times.

I did enjoy Bonaventure Cemetery although I don't think it is for everyone. Be sure to grab the very useful map at the visitor center, there is a box outside that contains them. The nearby restaurant Erica Davis Low Country had excellent seafood, all locally sourced.

I loved just walking the streets and Forsythe Park. The only museum that I found really worthwhile was the Savannah History Museum.
SCb&b

Post by SCb&b »

Been several times in the past year or two for weekend trips.

Have stayed at DeSoto - centrally located. Also like Hyatt Andaz.

The Grey is great restaurant.

Off the beaten path - love the Wyld dock bar. Have to drive there or take Uber but great ambiance to have a cocktail on the water and good seafood to boot. THis time of year is perfect perfect time to do this.

The best thing to do in Savannah is just walk around and explore all of the parks and historic streets.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Another vote for The Grey. We just had time to eat there for lunch in the front area (which I'm not sure they still do these days), but they let us walk around and check out the rest of amazing building. We also enjoyed Cha Bella.

The hop-on/hop-off Old Town Trolley tour is super-touristy, but actually very enjoyable. Good to do early on in your trip as a sort of "sampler platter" of places to visit more in-depth later.

Final tip: If you haven't already, read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before going. (Skip the movie.)
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:49 pm
The "Old Town Trolley" tour is super-touristy, but actually very enjoyable. Good to do early on in your trip as a sort of "sampler platter" of places to visit more in-depth later.
I agree with this. When I visit with people who have never been, this is always a good option. You can get on and off all day, so it’s really nice when it’s hot.

I did do it once though where I am fairly certain the guide was just making things up, but he was entertaining so it was ok.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We spent half a day there earlier this summer. We drove to several of the inner-city park areas to stretch our legs awhile. The scenery was spectacular to me from the Midwest. In the evening we drove down to the riverfront and walked around eating at a bar there that has fresh seafood and had Leopold's ice cream.