Fidelity Cash Management Changes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
howard71

Fidelity Cash Management Changes

Post by howard71 »

I do my banking with Fidelity and they have been previewing changes they intend to make to Cash Management. I think it totally sucks but try as I might I couldn't find any place to register my opinion on the website.

My major complaint is that on the old system they recorded both Withdrawals and Deposits as "Direct Deposits" but it was clear which was which because they were in two separate columns, one green and one red. Now they just all show up in one column and you have to look and see which
one has a negative sign in front of it.

If they want to classify a debit from your account as a "Direct Deposit" for their own accounting purposes I have no problem with that but they need
to make it more clear to the customers as they did before, IMHO.

Anybody else having the same experience?
Gryphon

Re: Fidelity Cash Management Changes

Post by Gryphon »

The only withdrawals from my CMA are for bill payments, and they don't show up as Direct Deposit. But yes everything is in one column, both deposits & withdrawals. That matches the way I have my registers set up in Quicken, though, so I'm fine with it. And TBH I don't use the Fidelity website very much - just bill pay and downloading statements at the beginning of the month - so I don't much care how the rest of it looks.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

I don't understand why so many here use the Cash Management instead of credit unions?
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Bama12 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 pm I don't understand why so many here use the Cash Management instead of credit unions?
What can credit unions do that CMA cannot do?
I like the worldwide ATM fee rebate on Fidelity. I also like the no FTF on ATM withdrawals.

I have several credit union accounts, but all of them charge an FTF. Fidelity used FiServ Checkfree, only some credit unions do.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

criticalmass wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:58 pm
Bama12 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 pm I don't understand why so many here use the Cash Management instead of credit unions?
I like the worldwide ATM fee rebate on Fidelity. I also like the no FTF on ATM withdrawals.

I have several credit union accounts, but all of them charge an FTF. Fidelity used FiServ Checkfree, only some credit unions do.
No cash deposits ≠ good cash management
arf30

Post by arf30 »

All credit unions in my area have beyond ancient technology, which may or may not be a deal breaker depending on your generation. Fidelity on the other hand has a modern app and website.
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

arf30 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 pm
All credit unions in my area have beyond ancient technology, which may or may not be a deal breaker depending on your generation. Fidelity on the other hand has a modern app and website.
This ^ and I like the instant transfers between Fidelity accounts. Also have a CU too, just prefer to use Fidelity to work mostly with one web site/mobile app including their Visa. My CU doesn’t have a 2% cash back Visa.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

My credit union has free checks, 1.5% cash back, 6% credit card , 2% interest on savings and a lot cleaner web site. It's just an average credit union.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

2pedals wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:13 pm

I haven't used cash in five years.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

2pedals wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:13 pm No cash deposits ≠ good cash management
For me "cash management" rarely involves actual physical cash anymore so the CMA's lack of cash deposits isn't an issue. And I do have a brick & mortar savings account I can use for that if the need arises. It's an easy to use web site and I already have other accounts there - that's the appeal of the CMA.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I used to use Fideliy's CMA because I liked the consolidated statements (I have my retirement accounts at Fidelity), and it could be used to keep cash in a Money Market fund that was earning a high rate of interest (in years past.) The CMA is a brokerage account, so you can also use it to buy CD's, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, etc... It's also an eligible account to receive the 2% cash back on their Fidelity rewards visa card.

I stopped using is because despite my liking of the consolidated statements, I needed a separate "bank" statement that could be used for some other purposes where I didn't want to sharing my entire investment/retirement account statements with.
The Fidelity credit card also fell out of favor with me when it dropped rental car collision damage waiver (something I need), and I got more into playing the credit card reward game and found better cards for my spending patterns and bonuses.

I left my favored credit union when they were unable to provide a signature guarantee for a form needed after getting locked out of Treasury Direct, and one of the giant monster national banks (Chase) were able to, and paid me a new account bonus to boot ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

2pedals wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:13 pm

Not sure what you mean...credit unions are only worthwhile if you have cash to deposit? I don't have cash to deposit. Most of my ATM withdrawals are non-USA currency. I haven't found any credit union that can replace the functionality I receive from Fidelity.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Bama12 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:42 pm My credit union has free checks, 1.5% cash back, 6% credit card , 2% interest on savings and a lot cleaner web site. It's just an average credit union.
Where are you finding 2% on an insured savings account? Is it a true 2% for a full balance (say $35k) or does it involve monthly hoop jumping and small balance limits?
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Bama12 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:42 pm My credit union has free checks, 1.5% cash back, 6% credit card , 2% interest on savings and a lot cleaner web site. It's just an average credit union.
Do you believe most credit unions in America are giving out 2% in savings and 6% on their CCs?
smectym

Post by smectym »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 pm
I used to use Fideliy's CMA because I liked the consolidated statements (I have my retirement accounts at Fidelity), and it could be used to keep cash in a Money Market fund that was earning a high rate of interest (in years past.) The CMA is a brokerage account, so you can also use it to buy CD's, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, etc... It's also an eligible account to receive the 2% cash back on their Fidelity rewards visa card.

I stopped using is because despite my liking of the consolidated statements, I needed a separate "bank" statement that could be used for some other purposes where I didn't want to sharing my entire investment/retirement account statements with.
The Fidelity credit card also fell out of favor with me when it dropped rental car collision damage waiver (something I need), and I got more into playing the credit card reward game and found better cards for my spending patterns and bonuses.

I left my favored credit union when they were unable to provide a signature guarantee for a form needed after getting locked out of Treasury Direct, and one of the giant monster national banks (Chase) were able to, and paid me a new account bonus to boot ;)
>>The Fidelity credit card also fell out of favor with me when it dropped rental car collision damage waiver (something I need)

Thanks for flagging this, I was unaware. These days one sort of assumes the credit card covers CDW, it's a bit of a surprise
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

mervinj7 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Do you believe most credit unions in America are giving out 2% in savings and 6% on their CCs?
I live in Alabama and the one two miles from my house does and has for years. I have no idea about the rest of American.
Doing a quick google search I see Connexus Credit Union paying 1.75% on checking accounts and 2% on teen accounts.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Bama12 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:10 am
mervinj7 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:09 pm
I live in Alabama and the one two miles from my house does and has for years. I have no idea about the rest of American.
Doing a quick google search I see Connexus Credit Union paying 1.75% on checking accounts and 2% on teen accounts.
Do share the name of the credit union two miles from your house. I’m sure many other Alabamians would like to take advantage of this find.

Post by 3000 »

Everything is just easier in one place. I have a checking account at a local CU but I haven’t used it for a long time.

Post by 3000 »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 pm

Is the consolidated statement something you asked for? I opened a brokerage, Roth IRA, and CMA at the same time and get two statements a month. One is for the brokerage and Roth and the other is just for the CMA.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not asking for advice, therefore not actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.