"Countertop" microwave advice (combo/dual function type??)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Saving$

"Countertop" microwave advice (combo/dual function type??)

Post by Saving$ »

Does anyone have experience with dual function/multifunction/combi function microwaves? If so, are they any good?

I'm specifically referring to a "countertop" type microwave that will both microwave and toast/air fry etc. OTR or drawer type are not applicable as I have a built in area for a countertop type micro, max 24" wide.

The idea of having one device that will both microwave and toast/air fry is appealing, as long as it does all functions well. If I'm giving up performance for the dual functionality, then it's not worth it. If they work well, I imagine using the micro to air fry uses less electricity than firing up the electric range, so might be the more efficient and quicker option when preparing a meal for one or two.

The higher rated dual function models seem to be the:

Breville: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/breville-t ... Id=6362515
or
Panasonic: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panasonic- ... Id=6408284
Interestingly, although Costco sells quite a few Panasonic countertop microwaves, they don't sell any of the Panasonic combo models. They do have this one, that has a nice array of options and is quite affordable, but has no reviews:
https://www.costco.com/galanz-3-in-1-sp ... 12406.html

BH recommendations, advice, experience welcome!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: "Countertop" microwave advice (combo/dual function type??)

Post by Sandtrap »

We have an off brand 3? function microwave.
Microwave
Convection Oven
Air Fryer

As in most multi purpose things, it does each thing "okay", but not as good as a specialized single purpose item.
Much like a scissors on a multi purpose tool IE: Leatherman, Cross, is not as good as just a scissors.

The Air Fryer function is just okay to marginal.
Nowhere as good as our Ninja Air Fryer that we use nearly every day.

The Convection Oven function is okay.
But, not as good as our convection oven.

The Microwave function works as intended.

Verdict (from only my experience and not others)
If you can only have 1 thing, then they are "great" and "will do".
But, If you can have a great microwave, a great air fryer, and a great convection oven. Then better.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sfly510

Post by sfly510 »

I have the Panasonic model you listed. It is great at saving space that would be occupied by multiple appliances.

The toasting function leaves a lot to be desired, as it only toasts from the top (broil). Air frying is decent, but not quite what you'd get from a standalone air fryer. The microwave is where this unit shines, as it's an inverter microwave where it is capable of actually limiting the power rather than cycling on/off at full power. It is a 1000 watt max microwave, however. An interesting side note about inverter microwaves is that they're more likely to interfere with 2.4ghz WiFi, and it does. The killer features of this unit are the "Genius" sensor and combining multiple modes simultaneously. The Genius sensor allows for one button reheating (with a slightly hotter and slightly less hot option), and it works very well - much better than you'd expect. Combining multiple modes allows for options you really don't get on almost any other appliance. E.g. the ability to microwave and air fry (or broil) simultaneously allows for better reheating of many foods, although there is a learning curve.

We bought this model partly because we are completely redoing our kitchen and would otherwise be without any food appliances. The space saving nature of it is a real draw, and if you do settle on a combination appliance, this is the one I would recommend.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:53 am We have an off brand 3? function microwave.
Microwave
Convection Oven
Air Fryer

As in most multi purpose things, it does each thing "okay", but not as good as a specialized single purpose item.....
Do you happen to have the Galanz model? It's the one that keeps popping up when I search, and is very affordable; about the same cost as a regular microwave.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

sfly510 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:03 am I have the Panasonic model you listed. It is great at saving space that would be occupied by multiple appliances.

The toasting function leaves a lot to be desired, as it only toasts from the top (broil). Air frying is decent, but not quite what you'd get from a standalone air fryer. The microwave is where this unit shines, as it's an inverter microwave where it is capable of actually limiting the power rather than cycling on/off at full power. It is a 1000 watt max microwave, however. An interesting side note about inverter microwaves is that they're more likely to interfere with 2.4ghz WiFi, and it does. The killer features of this unit are the "Genius" sensor and combining multiple modes simultaneously. The Genius sensor allows for one button reheating (with a slightly hotter and slightly less hot option), and it works very well - much better than you'd expect. Combining multiple modes allows for options you really don't get on almost any other appliance. E.g. the ability to microwave and air fry (or broil) simultaneously allows for better reheating of many foods, although there is a learning curve.

We bought this model partly because we are completely redoing our kitchen and would otherwise be without any food appliances. The space saving nature of it is a real draw, and if you do settle on a combination appliance, this is the one I would recommend.
Thank you. I was wondering what the advertised "Inverter" function for a microwave does. This Multi Function Panasonic model is over $500, and if it does not toast well, I'll be obligated to keep the toaster, even if just keeping it in a drawer. The most expensive non-multi function Panasonic at Costco is only $220, and includes inverter technology. Unless someone reports back here that another brand multi function unit works well on all functions, sounds like I'm better off just getting a regular micro and keep the old toaster (already have convection oven).

Now I need to figure out if I want inverter technology that messes with my wifi. My security system uses 2.4 ghz....I don't need anything messing that up...Does anyone know if there is a way to get around or minimize the inverter interference with 2.4, and does the inverter also interfere with Z-wave or zigbee?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Our microwave does only one thing -- microwave.

All the multi-function stuff is in our toaster oven, a top-of-the-line Breville, which I recommend.

Of course this is no way to save counter space and that is a (small) inconvenience to us.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:26 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:53 am We have an off brand 3? function microwave.
Microwave
Convection Oven
Air Fryer

As in most multi purpose things, it does each thing "okay", but not as good as a specialized single purpose item.....
Do you happen to have the Galanz model? It's the one that keeps popping up when I search, and is very affordable; about the same cost as a regular microwave.
Yes.
Our older Panasonic died last month. We bought the Galanz.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
mkc

Post by mkc »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:18 pm Does anyone have experience with dual function/multifunction/combi function microwaves? If so, are they any good?

I'm specifically referring to a "countertop" type microwave that will both microwave and toast/air fry etc. OTR or drawer type are not applicable as I have a built in area for a countertop type micro, max 24" wide.
#1, download the manuals for the models you are considering and check what the required clearances side, back, and top. All microwaves have required air spaces and convection/air fryer ones in particular. There is heat and moisture to exhaust.

You will typically find 1-2" sides and top for micro only, and 2-4" top, minimum. 24" width means a unit no more than 22" wide, possibly smaller. Models with radiant and/or resistance heading modes and circulation fans (convection, air fryer) will likely require greater clearances.

ETA - the Galanz mentioned requires 2" on either side and 8" above, per the manual. That means you need at least 26" open space width-wise and 21" height-wise. It does not work with your 24" space.

Failing to follow the specs can shorten the life of the appliance and cause damage to surrounding cabinetry.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

Never had a dual function microwave, but have a regular Breville microwave
(we used to have a GE microwave that had a "grill" which was absolutely useless as it would not grill or toast anything and was a pain to clean so when it died we bought one that us only has a microwave).
The Breville looks very nice and works well (bought it 6 years ago), but some design choices drive me mad.

1. Lots of bells and whistles which are near useless. Like dedicated buttons for butter, chocolate, popcorn etc or any of the "smart" features.
Never use any of these. The only function we use is "run at full power for X minutes".
2. Controls hidden inside the microwave.
Who decided to hide the kitchen timer inside the oven? Don't know what the designers were thinking.
In this particular model it looks like they "fixed" this design flaw by removing the kitchen timer altogether (does not seem acceptable for a $450 oven).
3. No time set buttons.
If you need to set time to something other than 30 seconds or 1 minute, it is very cumbersome to do it with a dial.
Selecting 7 minutes requires a lot of back and forth with the dial as it will constantly under- and overshoot.
sfly510

Post by sfly510 »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:42 am Thank you. I was wondering what the advertised "Inverter" function for a microwave does. This Multi Function Panasonic model is over $500, and if it does not toast well, I'll be obligated to keep the toaster, even if just keeping it in a drawer. The most expensive non-multi function Panasonic at Costco is only $220, and includes inverter technology. Unless someone reports back here that another brand multi function unit works well on all functions, sounds like I'm better off just getting a regular micro and keep the old toaster (already have convection oven).

Now I need to figure out if I want inverter technology that messes with my wifi. My security system uses 2.4 ghz....I don't need anything messing that up...Does anyone know if there is a way to get around or minimize the inverter interference with 2.4, and does the inverter also interfere with Z-wave or zigbee?
The inverter is nice for things like melting butter or chocolate or other tasks that require more delicate heating. To me, it was a requirement, but whenever I mention it to people it doesn't seem to be a feature they care about. For a microwave only unit, I'd have gone with Panasonic's "cyclonic inverter" tech, which ensures more even heating by moving the magnetron around to create more even microwave coverage (most microwaves don't heat as evenly vertically). The 2.4Ghz WiFi interference is noticeable, but only when the unit is actively microwaving, which for me is mildly annoying if I'm streaming video, but otherwise not a huge deal. I also currently have the microwave very close to the wireless access point due to our renovation, so it's probably exacerbating the issue for me. One other consideration I had when microwave shopping was that the inside be stainless steel for ease of cleaning.
egrets

Post by egrets »

TheHiker wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:22 pm
(we used to have a GE microwave that had a "grill" which was absolutely useless as it would not grill or toast anything and was a pain to clean
I use this to make toasted cheese sandwiches in my "non-combo" microwave. It has a top, so cleaning is not an issue:

https://www.nordicware.com/products/quickcrisp/

Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

egrets wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 pm
TheHiker wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:22 pm
(we used to have a GE microwave that had a "grill" which was absolutely useless as it would not grill or toast anything and was a pain to clean
I use this to make toasted cheese sandwiches in my "non-combo" microwave. It has a top, so cleaning is not an issue:

https://www.nordicware.com/products/quickcrisp/

The product details at the link indicate that this has an aluminized steel plate. I thought metal cannot go in a microwave. Has that changed?
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

I had a Daewoo microwave with a traditional toaster tucked in to the right of the microwave, a great space saver. https://www.amazon.com/DAEWOO-KOG867T9- ... UTF8&psc=1

The Nordicware stuff works well in a microwave. Properly designed items with metal are ok, like the Nordicware.