How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Damocles

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women?

Post by Damocles »

I've been traveling overseas for 20 years and from Aleppo, to Beirut, Bali, Bucharest, Budapest... and most points in between - all the way to Yerevan and Zimbabwe and in that time I've used a front pocket wallet and money clip. I've never been pickpocketed or lost either.

I have carried a decoy back pocket wallet in the more notorious places (family gives them as gifts ever few years, so they are free to me) and those have been taken on a regular basis.

This has lasted a long, long time...

https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-wallet-mens-front
quantAndHold

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women?

Post by quantAndHold »

Driver’s license and a credit card in a slot on the back of my phone. Everything else is on my phone or Apple Watch.

The only reason I carry the credit card is some places don’t take Apple Pay. Car related stuff, like insurance and gas cards, are in a card holder in the car. I have a picture of my Kaiser card on my phone. Kaiser doesn’t care about anything except my member number, which I have memorized anyway.
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

2pedals wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:55 pm
Tuxedo wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:35 pm Fascinating how many carry health insurance card 24/7. If you dont have it when services are rendered it wont matter.

Cash.
Debit card.
Credit card.
Work credit card.
Drivers license.
Not in my experience. If I go to a doctor without it they have and will ask for full payment before they do anything unless they already have my insurance information. ...and then I would need to file a claim with my insurance to collect the covered charges.
Sure, bring it to that new doctor that you're going to. I'm talking about 24/7. If I end up in the ER or urgent care and dont have my card? Meh, I'll deal with it.
casun

Post by casun »

nobody carries wallets anymore. they went out with powdered wigs.
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Damocles wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:04 pm I've been traveling overseas for 20 years and from Aleppo, to Beirut, Bali, Bucharest, Budapest... and most points in between - all the way to Yerevan and Zimbabwe and in that time I've used a front pocket wallet and money clip. I've never been pickpocketed or lost either.

I have carried a decoy back pocket wallet in the more notorious places (family gives them as gifts ever few years, so they are free to me) and those have been taken on a regular basis.

this site has a lot of very nice leather stuff, including wallets.

Thanks fore the link!

"Great!!!! Travel tip!!!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Damocles wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:04 pm I've been traveling overseas for 20 years and from Aleppo, to Beirut, Bali, Bucharest, Budapest... and most points in between - all the way to Yerevan and Zimbabwe and in that time I've used a front pocket wallet and money clip. I've never been pickpocketed or lost either.

Have you been to Zanzibar? That is one place I‘d really want to go
but the connecting airports are allegedly dangerous.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

https://bellroy.com/products/slim-sleev ... wE#slide-0

* Drivers license
* Health Insurance
* Business credit card
* 2 personal credit cards - primary + backup
* Typically $50-$70 in cash...more if needed (larger bills to minimize bulk).
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:59 am I carry a very thin wallet that contains my drives license, 1 credit card, 1 debit card, health insurance card, and some cash.
This sounds good.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Tuxedo wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:35 pm Fascinating how many carry health insurance card 24/7. If you dont have it when services are rendered it wont matter.

Cash.
Debit card.
Credit card.
Work credit card.
Drivers license.
Not in my experience. If I go to a doctor without it they have and will ask for full payment before they do anything unless they already have my insurance information. ...and then I would need to file a claim with my insurance to collect the covered charges.
+1
jason2459

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Post by jason2459 »

For wallet recommendations itself then I really like this thread. Many great options.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=356416&start=100
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
balofagus

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Post by balofagus »

I carry my phone, my drivers license, and a credit card.

When travelling I have a passport-sized zippered wallet from Incase which I keep in a backpack. Unfortunately, it no longer seems to be available.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:07 pm Driver’s license and a credit card in a slot on the back of my phone. Everything else is on my phone or Apple Watch.

The only reason I carry the credit card is some places don’t take Apple Pay. Car related stuff, like insurance and gas cards, are in a card holder in the car. I have a picture of my Kaiser card on my phone. Kaiser doesn’t care about anything except my member number, which I have memorized anyway.

This is exactly what I do. Only thing I add to this is I also stick a $20 bill in the slot on my phone case that holds a credit card.
anoop

Post by anoop »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:59 am I carry a very thin wallet that contains my drives license, 1 credit card, 1 debit card, health insurance card, and some cash.
Similar here. I have a bigskinny bifold wallet with all of the above + AAA card.
https://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

My thin wallet only holds my drivers license, three or four credit cards, and five $20 bills. The other stuff stays home.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:14 pm If you don't mind me asking. What brand and type of wallet do you have that fits a passport?

It's a Royce Leather brand. Bought on Amazon years ago. That particular model is no longer available. It can actually fit both of my passports (I am a dual citizen), 8 cards, driver's license, bills, change. Yes, I did a lot of searches on Amazon to find it.

The images don't do it justice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F ... UTF8&psc=1

Mine is in black.

Not sure if they have anything comparable anymore.

Amazingly, was only $50, and this was back in the days that Amazon didn't charge CA sales tax. Not sure what I would buy nowadays if it was stolen.

Looks like the closest would be this, but I don't think it has as much capacity.
https://royce.us/product/trifold-wallet/

I'm going to have to look up that Costanza wallet Seinfeld episode now.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:07 pm Kaiser doesn’t care about anything except my member number, which I have memorized anyway.
I have mine memorized, too. It's still much faster to swipe the Kaiser card than to try to get my accent understood through a mask and glass window when checking in nowadays. I have seen the card get imprinted in my ER and hospital stays, also, even as recently as this year. In one of those cases, I could barely speak, so I was glad to have the card.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:45 pm
This sounds good.
Ideally, when not traveling, this would be possible for me. But there are some optimizations I like to do. My Fidelity debit/ATM allows me to withdraw cash without any fee at any ATM worldwide. Since I don't like to pay ATM fees, I carry it. Fidelity doesn't allow me to deposit cash at ATMs (or anywhere else!). My credit union does. So, I carry both debit/ATM cards.

With credit cards, I carry 3 physical cards.
One for restaurants, Chase Sapphire Preferred (3.75% on restaurants when redeemed for travel).
One for Costco (Bofa Customized Cash Rewards). 5.25% at Costco, up to $2500/quarter.
One for everything else (Bofa Cash Rewards Unlimited). 2.65% on everything else.

I have printed labels on top of each of the cards to remind me where to use each card.

For big ticket items where I want 2 years of extended warranty, I have my Costco card stored in Samsung pay. Use the electronic app for membership.
Also have the Amex Hilton Surpass and Amex Skymiles Gold in Samsung pay, in case there are any worthwhile offers.
My Chase Freedom and Discover It are also in Samsung pay, in case I remember the rotating categories. But the odds are very low on that.

I just added my AARP card to my physical wallet, since it's really inconvenient to use the electronic version of the card. I'm simply not giving my unlocked phone to the waiter so he can leave with it and process the discount. Physical card is a must. AARP really didn't think this through with the restaurants they partnered with when they introduced their app.

In truth, I could probably fit 16 cards in my Royce wallet, but that would stretch the 8 card pockets, and then it would be hard to go back to one per pocket (cards would start falling). Having a large number of payment cards is a problem, too, if wallet gets stolen. That has happened to me twice over the years. Cell phone was stolen too both times, so couldn't cancel the cards before thiefs made purchases. I feel like 5 physical payment cards would be enough hassle to report stolen.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
You don't ever carry one card? There are a few store that I go to occasionally that do not support mobile payments, surprisingly this includes Walmart and Home Depot.
Check out Walmart Pay on the Walmart app. I'm not sure what kind of data they are harvesting but you link one or more credit cards to your Walmart account and load the app and scan the QR code at the register and you're good to go. I like how I have a digital receipt of my purchases and don't have to keep up with the thermal copy.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

I generally carry a Slik cell phone case that comfortably holds 3 cards which include my Costco Visa, BoA Preferred Rewards travel card and my drivers license. Sometimes I'll keep a few bucks and and my business credit card in my back pocket if I'm traveling. I also have a a pouch that holds various other cards and IDs that I leave at home or in my suit case.

I left my wallet in a hotel room in March and only had $10 and a credit card and did not recover the items. Didn't replace my wallet yet and not sure that I will.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Laundry_Service wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:57 am
anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
You don't ever carry one card? There are a few store that I go to occasionally that do not support mobile payments, surprisingly this includes Walmart and Home Depot.
Check out Walmart Pay on the Walmart app. I'm not sure what kind of data they are harvesting but you link one or more credit cards to your Walmart account and load the app and scan the QR code at the register and you're good to go. I like how I have a digital receipt of my purchases and don't have to keep up with the thermal copy.
I did not know about this, though I don't shop at Walmart enough to want to store my CC info with them. I usually only go to Walmart when one of my category cash back CCs offers 5% cash back at Walmart for the quarter.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 pm Have you been to Zanzibar? That is one place I‘d really want to go
but the connecting airports are allegedly dangerous.
I don't want to threadjack, but yes - enjoyed this place: https://www.zanzibarretreat.com/ Owner is from a Scandinavian country and very nice. He's put time into training the staff well and it shows.

The flight there was exciting - single engine prop plane with maybe 12 passengers, including the one seated by the sole pilot aboard. They wheeled out a giant fire extinguisher before they started the engine, if that tells you anything.

One key I've found when traveling overseas is to have a very low profile and try not to look like a tourist. For travel outside of Europe, I wear plain, no logo Navy or Grey polos, a nice pair of Kaki or Navy chinos, and very basic but functional luggage (I've got a Briggs and Riley for business travel but use a basic black Amazon carry-on backpack for most tourist travel, especially in Africa/Asia).

To bring this back on topic, I'd say:

1) Travel with a partner (I'm fond of traveling with my wife) and carry different credit and ATM cards between each person. If I lose my wallet with my Amex/USAA cards, I know my wife has her Marriott Visa and so on in her purse. Unless you are both robbed at the same time, you are unlikely to lose everything if you cross load between two people. Depot spare cards/ID documents in the hotel safe until you leave if they are carried only for contingency.

2) Carry enough dollar or euro to get you through the first few days, but not so much that your finances are wrecked if you lose it. I don't bother with travelers checks, since ATM systems are so interconnected these days.

3) Check ATMs for unauthorized chip readers and stick-on cameras before use. Use ATMs at hotels/banks or other areas less likely to be targeted for skimming. Have your partner face outward and stand watch while you pull out money. Maintain good situational awareness whenever you are deploying the contents of your wallet/purse.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:29 pm If the payment terminal supports Samsung Pay (many do now, but when they don't, that's why I carry 4 physical credit cards), all I need is my Samsung smart phone. It is actually more secure than a physical card because if I lose my phone bad guys can't activate Samsung Pay without my pin or finger print, and a virtual credit card number is utilized when you pay not your actual credit card number.
Even if the terminal doesn't support Samsung Pay, it can still work, but is trickier. A number of years ago, Samsung purchased a company called LoopPay and used their technology as the basis for Samsung Pay. It creates a magnetic field that tricks the stripe reader into thinking you've swiped a physical card.

I've only used it a couple of times, and it is a bit fiddly. But it does work.

As for the OP's question, I carry an Aviator Carbon Fiber Slide in my front pocket. It contains:

3 credit cards, one of which is also my Costco membership card. Other credit cards stay at home unless there is a specific reason to bring them.
Sam's club card
Driver's license and State ID
FSA Debit card
2 restaurant loyalty cards
Health and car insurance cards
ID card for my chiropractor (they use a swipe-based checkin system)
2 $100 bills and a $20 folded under the money clip

and is a little less than an inch thick. Love it and never going back to a traditional wallet. Everything is super easy to get to and put away. I don't know why one would need several gas station credit cards in an age where there are numerous normal cards that give 5% back on fuel.
rixer

Post by rixer »

I have quit carrying a wallet around. I have a leather wallet sleeve from Saddleback Leather that I slip my dl,medicare and suppliment cards, covid vax card, medical alert, two credit cards, debit card and I can still fold up a couple of bills in there if needed also. I carry it in my front pocket, very secure and I'm not sitting on a fat wallet all day. I will use a money clip on occassion if I need to carry more cash.
https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-b ... der-sleeve
hudson

Post by hudson »

I like seeing what others do. Since reading related discussions, I've gone from a fat wallet to a thin one that I don't have to take out of my pocket when getting in my vehicle.
When I pull out of the driveway, I want to be able to take care of business without coming back home. I want to be able to walk around without too much stuff in my pockets.

Thin wallet...a metal Trayvax; with bottle opener and mini pry bar :)
ATM card
2 credit cards
max 10 bills...part for tips...the rest 20s
insurance card
Apple Watch set up for Apple Pay and 3 credit cards; Probably 70% of my transactions are by the Apple Watch. When checking out at the grocery store, I click a button on my watch two times near the terminal and I'm done...no wallet...no card. Dick Tracy would be proud. https://www.google.com/search?q=dick+tr ... 3s7Ih37jKM
iPhone with an App for every financial company that I use. I can use the iPhone to access most of my files.
Spyderco knife...used mostly for opening boxes or as a pry bar.
keys with Tile locator and dog tag

EDIT: for the mini scan tags for grocery stores or drug stores, I use my phone number; my wife uses an APP on her phone.
Last edited by hudson on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Copper John wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:31 am
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:07 pm Driver’s license and a credit card in a slot on the back of my phone. Everything else is on my phone or Apple Watch.

This is exactly what I do. Only thing I add to this is I also stick a $20 bill in the slot on my phone case that holds a credit card.
I carry a $50. Hardly ever have occasion to use it. Driver’s license, 1CC, and a bill fit neatly into the Apple wallet which magnetically clips to the back of my iPhone 12

In theory I could ditch the driver’s license as well since Colorado has an app for that, which also includes auto insurance card and Covid vaccination.

I keep photos on my phone for cards which have no online version, such as my library and rec center cards.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 am Driver's license, 2 credit cards, 1 ATM card, and sometimes a little bit of cash.
Same here, plus my health insurance card.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

anoop wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:35 am
Similar here. I have a bigskinny bifold wallet with all of the above + AAA card.
https://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html
This is what I use. It's small enough to fit in my front pocket.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S6 ... UTF8&psc=1
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

I use two wallets.

I carry the Apple Magsafe card case every day. I stretched it to hold a 4th card comfortably. I carry an Amex, Visa backup card, debit card, and my driver's license.

Only on days that I will need it, I have a billfold that has another Amex, another debit card, authorized user card from an elderly relative, health insurance card, and about $100 in cash. I can't remember the last time I dipped into this cash where I couldn't have used Venmo or Cash app instead.

I think carrying a big wallet is very dangerous. If you lose it or it's stolen, there is a lot at risk. I wouldn't want to have to make 20+ phone calls to put my life back together again.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

I use a Tom Bihn Nik's Minimalist Wallet #5

It is a very small wallet with one outside pocket and two inside pockets, and a strap that holds the wallet closed. I keep my main CC on the outside flap for easy access.

On the inside, I have:

- Backup CC
- Drivers License
- Amex Card from work
- Health Insurance Card
- ATM Card
- $202 dollars in cash (1x$100, 2x$20, 1x$10, 2x$1)

I use some of the cash maybe once a year at most. If I know I"m going to need cash, like for a farmer's market, I carry a separate money clip. My phone has my Costco card, some store discount cards, car insurance. vaccine card and some more CC's in my apple wallet. I also have photocopies of driver's license and passports on phone.

My key ring has my house key, car fob and a leatherman brewzer. If I need a another key for a special reason, I'll clip it on the ring and then take it off again.

If I'm out without the car, I'll take a shoulder bag with a mini-first aid kit in an altoids mint box, a swiss army knife, backup battery for cell phone.

For international travel, I always carry a shoulder bag and have a case for passports + international driver's license
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Daily and US travel I have cash, 2 credit cards, ATM card, driver's license, health and car insurance cards. All in front pocket held with a binder clip. I've found a binder clip to be a better solution than a money clip, it holds more tightly and accommodates different amounts of cash without adjustment. Here's a near-lifetime supply (12) in snazzy silver for $9: https://www.amazon.com/1InTheOffice-Lar ... ads.org-20 . Also available in gold.

For international travel: cash for one day and 1 credit card and an ID (DL or the new passport card) in the binder clip. I guess I'll be adding a copy of the COVID vaccination card for future travel. Everything else goes in the other front pocket unless I'm staying somewhere that I feel comfortable leaving it.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Cash.
Debit card.
Credit card.
Work credit card.
Drivers license.
Not in mine either. I suppose I might be able to do it with something on my phone, till the medical office that wouldn't accept it, like medical offices I run into that want faxes about stuff and you can't email it :happy . When home I carry
med ins card
AAA card
personal ATM card
real estate LLC's ATM card
3*credit cards, usually, but depending the line up for cash back a that time of the quarter sometimes more or fewer
Drivers license
$60-$160 usually

When travelling domestically same, when travelling overseas leave behind the AAA card, LLC card and usually cut back to one no-foreign transaction fee CC plus a back up and might carry more (foreign+US) cash. Wife though carries, domestically, a purse with other CC's, gift cards etc.

I haven't heard among the relatively unusual cases of requiring you to show COVID stuff where they don't accept a picture of it on your phone.
MJS

Post by MJS »

I carry 8 cards. The top-most card is In Case of Emergency: next of kin phone #, MD phone #, RX list, & allergies.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

mrb09 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am I use a Tom Bihn Nik's Minimalist Wallet #5

It is a very small wallet with one outside pocket and two inside pockets, and a strap that holds the wallet closed. I keep my main CC on the outside flap for easy access.

On the inside, I have:

- Backup CC
- Drivers License
- Amex Card from work
- Health Insurance Card
- ATM Card
- $202 dollars in cash (1x$100, 2x$20, 1x$10, 2x$1)

I use some of the cash maybe once a year at most. If I know I"m going to need cash, like for a farmer's market, I carry a separate money clip. My phone has my Costco card, some store discount cards, car insurance. vaccine card and some more CC's in my apple wallet. I also have photocopies of driver's license and passports on phone.

My key ring has my house key, car fob and a leatherman brewzer. If I need a another key for a special reason, I'll clip it on the ring and then take it off again.

If I'm out without the car, I'll take a shoulder bag with a mini-first aid kit in an altoids mint box, a swiss army knife, backup battery for cell phone.

For international travel, I always carry a shoulder bag and have a case for passports + international driver's license
What kind of shoulder bags?

mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I went to the minimalist wallet several years ago. It has a money clip on the outside for cash, and I carry my drivers license, one cc, debit card, and gym membership card. I have my health insurance info on my phone for an emergency, but would pick up my medicare and supplement and part d card if I knew I was going to the dr/er. My covid vaccine info is also there. I have my Kroger card on my keyring. I keep a little cash in the car in case of emergency/lost wallet.
Last edited by mhalley on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Two cards
Walmart Cap360 credit
Cap360 Bank Card(atm if needed)
Maybe 100 in cash
Medicare Card
Supplemental Card
Drivers license
Thats it
Small wallet folds nicely
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CH ... UTF8&psc=1

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

DL
MEDICARE + insurance
2 x $100 bills folded behind DL, otherwise about $20 in cash
Unless I am traveling, then enough cash to buy enough gas to get home (zombie apocalypse)
Credit card shaped multi-tool
2 credit cards
AAA card
1 debit card
1 check
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

I few years ago I replaced my worn out 20 - 30 YO wallet at Dollywood at the leather shop.
Found one with a slide out folder that holds an ID and a few cards. Perfect for hiking I thought.
One day I thought, do I really need my full wallet with coupons, notes and store cards. Stores always look me with a phone number or email. I can enter my library card number on the terminal there.
Since I seldom use cash anymore I have added 2 cc's, ATM and insurance cards to this slim folder and that's all I carry.
You made me think, do I need to carry an ATM now.
I do worry about forgetting ID passes at places like the zoo.
But I really like carrying just a slim card holder. I seldom carry a wallet now.
Having everything on the phone is quite intriguing. Fishing license is on my phone but not sure how to find it.
I'm thinking I will still carry an ID in case somebody needs to identify me.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

oxothuk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 am

I carry a $50. Hardly ever have occasion to use it. Driver’s license, 1CC, and a bill fit neatly into the Apple wallet which magnetically clips to the back of my iPhone 12

In theory I could ditch the driver’s license as well since Colorado has an app for that, which also includes auto insurance card and Covid vaccination.

I keep photos on my phone for cards which have no online version, such as my library and rec center cards.
Thanks for heads-up on Colorado app. I am also a Colorado resident and downloaded it and now have legal (in Colorado)digitalized versions of my car registration, licence,insurance card as well as a copy of my Covid vaccine card.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
hudson

Post by hudson »

AAA Card: do you need the card or can you just give them the number over the phone?
A rollback driver asked to see my card 20 years ago. I haven't been asked since, and I've used AAA 5-10 times since.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

What I really need is at most 1 debit card, 1 credit card, driver license, medical insurance card. I carry about double that, 2 debit cards, 2 credit cards, supermarket card etc. I have also a bill or two, although is not a good idea to carry cash in the wallet and I never did before (I don't want my wallet to be stolen for 40$). But with the pandemic I don't come as close to people and don't go in as many places so it's ok. I also change pants more often, it's easier if I consolidate what I have in my pockets.

When I travel internationally I don't carry a wallet with me at all. I bring one, very similar in content (2 debit cards, 2 credit cards, driver license etc) and I have a larger wallet type thing with zippers for passports, international DL and vaccination proof, but it would be pretty stupid to bring any of these of me when I go out. I take usually 1 credit card and around 100$ in cash equivalent in a front pocket. Since Apple Pay even that is not really necessary. All my stuff stay in the hotel room/airbnb apartment.

I have just remembered I have had a AAA membership for several years I never cancelled. I got one in 2001, I kept if for couple of years (I used crappy cars at that time), I cancelled it, the for an unknown reason I got in again few years ago. Talking about an useless thing, I could not figure out what is AAA good for in all these years. I used to drive a lot (100 miles weekly commute, 500 miles weekend trips very often), and in 20 years I never had the opportunity to use AAA even a single time. If I kept it for 20 years it would have been 2000$ for nothing, plus carrying that card.
Last edited by Starfish on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

oxothuk wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 am

Do you like the apple wallet? Is it always clipped to your phone, or do you sometimes carry the wallet in a separate pocket?
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:41 am I carry a leather trifold wallet that is so thick that it either fits in cargo pants or a fanny pack.

I has to fit:
20+ cards (credit, debit, atm, insurance, etc)
3+ ID's
Covid/ID/Card.
A thin stack of 100's bills.
(no passport)daily/ if travel then passport, other passes.
(in my fanny pack, also, car keys, mini leatherman, spare everything keys, spare meds, kitchen sink. :shock: :shock: . . )

To me, if I travel, I'm financially prepared with only my thick wallet and the same style of mini EMS side waist pack that I've been using for over 3 decades. I stopped misplacing or losing my wallet when I switched to this system. But, I'm thinking of changing things and improving so also looking for suggestions through this overview.
DW uses something similar to the center picture below. Also following this thread for ideas from others.

Questions: (both male and female)
*****What is your solution as far as a wallet and cash, and what's needed for personal finance and surviving in a busy world?
Daily?
For travel?
20 cards?

I have a little plastic case on my phone with a pouch for a few cards.
Daily: ID, credit card, debit card, metro card
When traveling: the above, and I’ll carry my passport in my pocket when going through the airport then leave it in the hotel. Will get some cash in local currency and add it in my little pouch or leave it in my pocket.

20 cards?? A knife?? Maybe we do different kinds of travel ;)
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TT wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:35 pm Trucker Wallet in my front right pocket
- Drivers License
- One Credit Card
- Medicare Card
- Rx & Insurance Card
- Japanese Carpenter Knife
- Cash $400 - $800 in 50's
very cool indeed. :D :D
First time I have ever heard of this.

(benchmade)
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I have a leather phone case which contains my cellphone, driver's license, 2 credit cards, 1 debitcard, vaccination card, regi and car insurance id.

I have a bifold wallet for other credit cards, medical insurance cards and a $20.

A have a 2 sectioned wristlet which contains my metrocard, museum cards and the like and a small amount of cash. If traveling, one side holds local currency.

I have a very small zippered pouch which usually contains $200.

This all goes into a Baggalini purse.

I like to spread my risk around.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:46 pm The one miscellaneous card I used to have dangling on my car keys was a grocery store savings card, but now I just enter my phone number at checkout.
Not sure if you are an app person, but have been using the stocard app to manage all of these cards.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

mrb09 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am - $202 dollars in cash (1x$100, 2x$20, 1x$10, 2x$1)
Your math works differently than mine. :mrgreen:
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BatBuckeye wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm I few years ago I replaced my worn out 20 - 30 YO wallet at Dollywood at the leather shop.
Found one with a slide out folder that holds an ID and a few cards. Perfect for hiking I thought.
One day I thought, do I really need my full wallet with coupons, notes and store cards. Stores always look me with a phone number or email. I can enter my library card number on the terminal there.
Since I seldom use cash anymore I have added 2 cc's, ATM and insurance cards to this slim folder and that's all I carry.
You made me think, do I need to carry an ATM now.
I do worry about forgetting ID passes at places like the zoo.
But I really like carrying just a slim card holder. I seldom carry a wallet now.
Having everything on the phone is quite intriguing. Fishing license is on my phone but not sure how to find it.
I'm thinking I will still carry an ID in case somebody needs to identify me.
To the extreme, if one is carrying a smart phone: ID, 1 CC,1 $20 bill probably covers 95% of situations. Though I would not go to that extreme, you may have problems if your smart phone runs out of battery.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I carry two CC (but prefer Google Pay on my phone), DL, insurance and Costco cards. I don't carry a debit card anymore; if I need cash I can use the ATM thru my mobile app.

I carry a pair of twenties just in case but no significant cash. I have no interest in walking around with a wad of cash - surprised to see so many on this thread with $300 or more in their wallets.