How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Post by Sandtrap »

I carry a leather trifold wallet that is so thick that it either fits in cargo pants or a fanny pack.

I has to fit:
20+ cards (credit, debit, atm, insurance, etc)
3+ ID's
Covid/ID/Card.
A thin stack of 100's bills.
(no passport)daily/ if travel then passport, other passes.
(in my fanny pack, also, car keys, mini leatherman, spare everything keys, spare meds, other stuff including the kitchen sink. :shock: :shock: . . ) (inspector gadget?) :shock:

To me, if I travel, I'm financially prepared with only my thick wallet and the same style of mini EMS side waist pack that I've been using for over 3 decades. I stopped misplacing or losing my wallet when I switched to this system. But, I'm thinking of changing things and improving so also looking for suggestions through this overview.
DW uses something similar to the center picture below. Also following this thread for ideas from others.

Questions: (both male and female)
*****What is your solution as far as a wallet and cash, and what's needed for personal finance and surviving in a busy world?
Daily?
For travel?
What do you carry in your wallet or wallet/purse/ clutch?
Daily?
For travel?
What style of wallet or purse wallet (pocketbook?)
Daily?
For travel?
Fanny Pack or Purse or other?
Daily?
For travel?

*** If you have some really nice wallets, carry packs, clutches, purses, etc, it would be nice to put in the link to the product or name for others. :D :D

4(option) My car key "bundle" has a mini leatherman,m keys and fobs for 2 of my cars/truck, house, shop, son's house, mailbox, etc, and a bunch of those mini scan card things for the grocery stores and such. It makes a big lump in my pocket (per Mae West's iconic line) and doesn't fit in my mini fanny pack. Oh well.

(photo's from stock online)
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:09 am, edited 12 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
radiowave

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women?

Post by radiowave »

Sandtrap, I'm laughing thinking about the Seinfeld episode about George's wallet :D

Well since you asked, I carry 3 credit cards that I rotate every few months, 1 ATM only debit card, my insurance, driver license and library cards and on the first week of the month, I get $200 from the ATM machine for petty cash exchanges, mostly a lunch once in a while, some Starbucks for those slow getting up mornings, and some groceries. Also, I have one of those wallet travel pouches that has belt loops and I put in inside my pants. Yeah it can be a pain at the drive through but if you have ever miss placed your wallet or worse, it slips out of your pocket and you're frantic trying to find it, that gives you an idea why I use an inside wallet pouch.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
climber2020

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women?

Post by climber2020 »

Driver's license, 2 credit cards, 1 ATM card, and sometimes a little bit of cash.

I have other cards for insurance related stuff, but they're stored as photos on my phone if I ever need the information. Usually when I'm traveling, I leave the wallet in the room and walk around with my ID and 2 credit cards in my pocket so I don't have a fat pants bulge.

Why do you need 3 ID cards?
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I carry a very thin wallet that contains my drives license, 1 credit card, 1 debit card, health insurance card, and some cash.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

I carry 2 cc cards, drivers license, 1 blank check, health ins card in trifold wallet. I keep cash in seperate pocket. In case wallet or cash is lost or stolen. I don't lose it all. I hope I'm not such a mark, someone can get their hands in both my pockets. The only other way Iosing both, I'd have to lose my pants. That hasn't happened in years. :happy
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I bought the Buffway a few weeks ago
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077C ... UTF8&psc=1

Happy so far with the quality of it.

Also looks like there is a lightning deal going on right now and it is $9.99. I just bought another one.
Last edited by stan1 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 am Driver's license, 2 credit cards, 1 ATM card, and sometimes a little bit of cash.

I have other cards for insurance related stuff, but they're stored as photos on my phone if I ever need the information. Usually when I'm traveling, I leave the wallet in the room and walk around with my ID and 2 credit cards in my pocket so I don't have a fat pants bulge.

I didn't know that cell phone photos of cards is legit to who you need to show them too.
Is this true?

ID cards are for "Fed things", Various different state things. . . and authorizations.

For you: what about gas station charge cards, shell, chevron?, costco ID, 400 in cash?

I have just a little fat bulge but no fat wallet bulge since my wallet is rarely in my pants because it doesn't fit in any pocket except the front pocket and that's just too uncomfortable and unsightly. (per Mae West's line. . .. can't remember. . )
j :D
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

59Gibson wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:02 pm I carry 2 cc cards, drivers license, 1 blank check, health ins card in trifold wallet. I keep cash in seperate pocket. In case wallet or cash is lost or stolen. I don't lose it all. I hope I'm not such a mark, someone can get their hands in both my pockets. The only other way Iosing both, I'd have to lose my pants. That hasn't happened in years. :happy
Is it not secure to carry a blank check. (although my dad used to do that in the 60's)?
But, I guess no less secure than if someone should get their hands on the credit cards?

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:05 pm I bought the Buffway a few weeks ago
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077C ... UTF8&psc=1

Happy so far with the quality of it.

Also looks like there is a lightning deal going on right now and it is $9.99. I just bought another one.
Thanks for the link.
I think 5 of them would work for me. . all at once. . . :shock:
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I carry a slim front pocket wallet:
https://www.flowfold.com/products/rfid- ... 2815024246

-drivers license
-health insurance card
-4 credit cards (I have access to all my credit cards via Samsung Pay)
-cash (usually total of $40-$50 in various denominations)
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 pm I carry a slim front pocket wallet:

-drivers license
-health insurance card
What is Samsung Pay?
Don't you need the physical credit card?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 pm
I think 5 of them would work for me. . all at once. . . :shock:
I have a three tier approach: Minimum in wallet, a few cards and small bills kept in cars, most cards in drawers at home taken out only when needed.

For example a Costco card can be kept in the car not carried around everywhere I go in a wallet. I only drive to Costco.

I have a Marriott branded credit card that I only use at Marriott properties. It stays in the drawer until a few days before I will use it at a Marriott property.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

I usually carry $60 - $80 in cash unless I'm going on a trip, in which case I might carry $200.

Drivers license, medical ID cards, 2 credit cards, ATM card, AAA card, USAA card and usually my Costco card.

If I'm going on a trip I'll bring a couple of more credit cards, but keep them in my backpack with my computer and checkbooks.
De gustibus non disputandum est
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

FYI, this is the wallet pouch I mentioned above: https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Bloc ... &sr=8-54
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

Driver's license
Concealed carry license
two credit cards
library, health insurance cards
Cash money

Bi-fold wallet
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

With Apple Pay there’s no need to carry a wallet full of credit cards. The card info is stored on your phone. Then just put your phone up to terminal when it’s time to pay. Same with Samsung pay.
I don’t even carry a wallet any more. My phone and my license inside the phone case. That’s it.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Silver money clip I purchased at a flea market 25+ years ago. $100 cash (which never gets used these days), debit card, license and cwp.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:18 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 pm I carry a slim front pocket wallet:

-drivers license
-health insurance card
What is Samsung Pay?
Don't you need the physical credit card?
If the payment terminal supports Samsung Pay (many do now, but when they don't, that's why I carry 4 physical credit cards), all I need is my Samsung smart phone. It is actually more secure than a physical card because if I lose my phone bad guys can't activate Samsung Pay without my pin or finger print, and a virtual credit card number is utilized when you pay not your actual credit card number.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

*$330 Cash (always) - $280 in 20's, rest in 10's, 5's and 1's
*1-2 Credit Cards (depends on the quarter/reward calendar) - Always Fidelity Visa 2%, rotate Discover and Chase Freedom
*Safeway Club card with taped on photocopies of club card barcodes for Kroger and Bashas as well
*Medical Insurance Card
*AAA Card
*Dental Insurance Card
*Advance Directive/Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare Card
*Driver's License
*5 Business Cards

Standard, 20 year old bi-fold leather wallet (Kenneth Cole)
Last edited by runner3081 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:41 am I carry a leather trifold wallet that is so thick that it either fits in cargo pants or a fanny pack.

I has to fit:
3+ ID's
(no passport)
(in my fanny pack if used with my wallet, usually: mini leatherman,
Thin wallet.
Driver's license
1 Fidelity ATM
1 Chase Visa
1 Costco card
Medical insurance card
$40

I don't think I even own 20 cards so I'm unsure why you need to carry so many around with you. Or 3 IDs.
Maybe it would be better for you to just list out what you carry and folks can give you advice on how to trim down. And then figure out which wallet works best.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

h82goslw wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:24 pm With Apple Pay there’s no need to carry a wallet full of credit cards. The card info is stored on your phone. Then just put your phone up to terminal when it’s time to pay. Same with Samsung pay.
I don’t even carry a wallet any more. My phone and my license inside the phone case. That’s it.
You don't ever carry one card? There are a few store that I go to occasionally that do not support mobile payments, surprisingly this includes Walmart and Home Depot.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

My bifold wallet currently contains:
  • Driver's license
  • City resident privilege card (allows free/discounted access to certain city-run facilities (and I see that it expired a few weeks ago so I'm glad you made me look))
  • Library card
  • 3 credit cards, 1 ATM card
  • 4 store discount cards
  • 4 insurance cards (medical, dental, 2 vehicles)
  • about a dozen bills of varying denominations
  • 1 slip of paper
It's right around 1 inch thick. I carry it in one of my front jeans pockets (something I started doing about 20 years ago on a trip overseas & just never stopped). I could probably get a slightly thinner wallet made from synthetic material but my 10 year old Saddleback Leather wallet is holding up so well it will probably outlast me so I'm not inclined to replace it with something thinner but less durable.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

$20 bill or no currency. Several credit cards, drivers license.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
h82goslw wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:24 pm With Apple Pay there’s no need to carry a wallet full of credit cards. The card info is stored on your phone. Then just put your phone up to terminal when it’s time to pay. Same with Samsung pay.
You don't ever carry one card? There are a few store that I go to occasionally that do not support mobile payments, surprisingly this includes Walmart and Home Depot.
You’re right…..I do have one card I keep in my phone in the event Apple Pay isn’t accepted. I should also clarify that I leave my wallet full of the other 10 cards I have (health ins, atm, AAA etc) in my car all the time and pull each out as needed.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
and Lowes, Royal Farms (mini-mart), Harris-Teeters, many gas stations, restaurants. I've also had Apple Pay not work at Target (they claimed some kind of technical glitch on their terminal - chip CC worked fine) and same thing happened at my local wine store (they claimed the same thing, terminal failure).

The cards I use the most are my Senior Passes at National and State parks and my library card. No digital alternative that I know of. Parks would maybe take a photo of the card in lieu of the actual card.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I was doing this up until about a year ago when I bought my first Apple Watch. Now when I am paying at a store, about 9 of 10 times I just use the watch to pay. Don't even have to take the phone out of my pocket. Every once in awhile, I take a credit card out of my old fashioned wallet and pay with that.
makeitcount

Post by makeitcount »

Bi-fold wallet:
driver's license
health insurance card
1 credit card
occasional gift card
usually no cash
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man." - J. Lebowski
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Devoted All-ett fan here:

$200-300 cash if I don't expect to need it; adjust upwards if I expect to need more. $100s, $20s, $5s only. Singles in my front pocket.
8 credit cards
DL
Voter's registration card (Didn't have it once when required to present it to vote. Never again!)
Health Insurance cards
AAA card
AARP card
Costco card

Add other cards as needed if traveling (eg, National Parks Pass)

Even with all that, wallet is sufficiently thin.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

I don't carry a wallet, nor have I in the past except maybe 30 years ago when I gave it a try. I put my Amazon Prime (Chase) credit card and driver's license in my pocket, or if I happen to take a purse or backpack then I put them in one of their pockets. I also always carry my iPhone which has Apple Pay on it.
The only disadvantage of my wallet free existence is that I have found myself without my driver's license or credit card, but usually only on occasions when I did not need them (when I go out to shop or dine, etc, I always check I got the cards).

When I travel I have a travel wallet that holds my passport. It has additional pockets that carry my Global Entry card, insurance card, WHO immunization booklet, some $cash and foreign currency, insurance card, 2 credit cards and 1 debit card for ATM withdrawals. But I would not want to lug this around on a daily basis.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm
climber2020 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 am Driver's license, 2 credit cards, 1 ATM card, and sometimes a little bit of cash.

I didn't know that cell phone photos of cards is legit to who you need to show them too.
Is this true?

ID cards are for "Fed things", Various different state things. . . and authorizations.

For you: what about gas station charge cards, shell, chevron?, costco ID, 400 in cash?
I don’t have any of that stuff.

The one miscellaneous card I used to have dangling on my car keys was a grocery store savings card, but now I just enter my phone number at checkout.

I carry a few 20s in my wallet but haven’t used cash in at least 4 months or so. If I ever need cash, that’s what the atm card is for.

The photos are for insurance cards. I do have these as physical cards, but I don’t carry them around while traveling.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dave55 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:52 pm $20 bill or no currency. Several credit cards, drivers license.

Dave
The rest is in your Bentley glove box?

Wonder if Bill Gates carries a wallet or if an aide follows him around and takes care of things?

j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm
Dave55 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:52 pm $20 bill or no currency. Several credit cards, drivers license.

Dave
The rest is in the Bentley glove box?

Wonder if Bill Gates carries a wallet or if an aide follows him around and takes care of things?

j
Sold the Bentley to Tony. Went back to Lexus.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dave55 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Dave

j

Dave
Wonder if Tony carries a wallet or has an aide take care of things like paying for things?
J
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I like and use a thin bi-fold wallet.
I usually carry $20-$100 cash, a small piece of paper with important contact numbers, my DL, and previously a single credit card - that I've recently switched with a single ATM/debit card...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

If I bring a bag, my ancien expensive leather gilt trimmed wallet/purse comes with me (which contains cash, debit cards, a charge card, my license and a bus card but not my social security card), but most often I just bring two cards, my license, a bus card and $40 in my front pocket. prolly should bring my insurance card too whenever I leave home.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:03 pm
Dave55 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Dave

j

Dave
Wonder if Tony carries a wallet or has an aide take care of things like paying for things?
J
😆😂 First genuine smile of the day! There goes Tony now in the Bentley!
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I have one of those pouches that attaches to my phone. I have 1 credit card, driver’s license, health ins. card & Sam’s club membership card. The pouch also has a small pocket that I normally carry 20 cash in. That’s it, no wallet. Have been doing this for years.

I did have an issue when I went to the store around the corner from my home and forgot my phone, so couldn’t pay. 99.99% of the time my phone is with me so it works for me. I have done the same years ago forgetting my wallet at home. What I really need is a backup CC in my vehicle. ( just put one in my visor in the plastic insert that has safety / 4wd info. Likely to be passed over by someone rifling through my car, but there if I need it)

I can not carry a wallet in my back pocket due to back pain and between multiple sets of keys for home and business, and my phone, there is no room in my front pocket for a wallet.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

This will be my New Year's resolution in 2022.

Thanks for posting - I like it.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Drivers license.
3 credit cards + ATM card.
Auto and health insurance info.
$40-80 cash.

Could easily pare that back and rely on my phone, but it’s habit.

Oh, and I have a ziplock bag with $100 duct taped to the underside of the passenger seat in my car, in case I forget to bring my wallet.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Gundy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:37 pm
This will be my New Year's resolution in 2022.

Thanks for posting - I like it.
Also, there is Google Pay for Android for anyone that is interested. Very convenient for no touch payment these days.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I carry
- 2 ATM/debit cards
- 3 credit cards
- driver's license
- COVID-19 vaccination card (a few cities/places require them)
- health insurance card

There is still room for many more cards. The wallet is large enough for at least one passport.
There is a pouch for coins as well.

My least-used cards are in Samsung Pay in my Note 20 Ultra.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Get the cash out of there. I never carry cash in my wallet. Use a money clip.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

madbrain wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:06 pm I carry
- 2 ATM/debit cards
- 3 credit cards
- driver's license
- COVID-19 vaccination card (a few cities/places require them)
- health insurance card

There is still room for many more cards. The wallet is large enough for at least one passport.
There is a pouch for coins as well.

My least-used cards are in Samsung Pay in my Note 20 Ultra.
If you don't mind me asking. What brand and type of wallet do you have that fits a passport?

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:41 am I carry a leather trifold wallet that is so thick that it either fits in cargo pants or a fanny pack.

I has to fit:
3+ ID's
(no passport)
(in my fanny pack if used with my wallet, usually: mini leatherman, spare everything keys, spare meds, kitchen sink. :shock: :shock: . . )

To me, if I travel, I'm financially prepared with only my wallet.
However, I wish there was a better solution as far as a wallet and what I carry, and how much cash.

Question: (both male and female)

What do you carry in your wallet or wallet/purse/ clutch?
What style of wallet or purse wallet (pocketbook?)

credit card (master)
debit card
driver license
health insurance and drug coverage card
costco card (i need to just download the app so I can stop carrying it)
amazon visa card (to pay at costco since they dont take visa)
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Fascinating how many carry health insurance card 24/7. If you dont have it when services are rendered it wont matter.

Cash.
Debit card.
Credit card.
Work credit card.
Drivers license.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Tuxedo wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:35 pm Fascinating how many carry health insurance card 24/7. If you dont have it when services are rendered it wont matter.
At Kaiser, the first step to check in at any provider is to swipe the insurance card. If I didn't have it, they would need to look me up. Or I could tell them the number. Assuming they could hear it through the masked and glass barrier. Not having the card to swipe would cause a lot of wasted time. I do wish I could use an app instead of carrying the card, like I do at Costco.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

helloeveryone wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:19 pm amazon visa card (to pay at costco since they dont take visa)
Say what ? Costco does take VISA.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

My bi-fold wallet is slim and flexible. It also has a RFID shield layer but that kills keeping hotel door cards. I used to travel domestically for business and kept separate credit cards plus a Global Entry. Now, not so much, so fewer cards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HH32KSC

The exercise of doing this inventory led to my ditching some extraneous stuff, not listed below. I carry this much because it's a PIA if I don't have it when needed.

Driver's license
$10-$150 cash that I rarely use and forget is there.
2 credit cards
grocery store gift card
-(I bought a bunch on a credit card for points and have to use them up.)
ATM/debit card
Health insurance stuff:
-Medicare
-Medicare supplement
-Part D
-GoodRx
Membership
-Sam's Club
-AARP
-ACLU
--(There ever since Bush 41 used "card carrying member" as an insult to his campaign opponent.)
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Tuxedo wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:35 pm Fascinating how many carry health insurance card 24/7. If you dont have it when services are rendered it wont matter.

Cash.
Debit card.
Credit card.
Work credit card.
Drivers license.
Not in my experience. If I go to a doctor without it they have and will ask for full payment before they do anything unless they already have my insurance information. ...and then I would need to file a claim with my insurance to collect the covered charges.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Driver’s License, two CC, debit card, a few bills. Oops, also corporate CC. Health cards are there, as well as covid vaccine card for now.

I often don’t carry my phone into stores, and try not to have it around as much as possible…so have no payment schemes set up.

It’s a trifold that has reached legal drinking age in the US, but almost ready for retirement. My thumb has worn one of folds down to nothing.