How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
deserat

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Post by deserat »

I used to travel a lot - and am starting to do so again. I currently live in Europe.

For travel I use a travel vest. I just purchased the Scotte vest and it has a myriad of pockets to place all kinds of stuff (e-books, passports, cards, bottle of water, etc). Most of the pockets have zippers and the really nice ones are on the inside of the vest, so any unwanted roving hands would need to be very stealthy, indeed. I've even started using it to just go out and about, as it keeps my hands free and my stuff out of view.

Otherwise, I carry a purse (usually smaller or travel that is 'hardened' against slashing, but if without that, I have a small card holder that holds two credit cards, two debit cards, my US driver's licenses, my other forms of ID, insurance cards, etc. I also have bought in my travels small zippered flat material pouches (they look like small Turkish rugs or have some deign from a foreign locale) that I use to carry different currencies. The pouches are thin, have different designs for ease of affiliation with a certain currency and also fit in the travel vest. While here in Europe, I have my passport and international driver's license as well, so have to have a fairly decent sized pocket to hold that.

Before the Scotte vest, I had another travel vest - not as many zippers, but still useful.
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women? Daily? For travel?

Post by Sandtrap »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 am I have a leather phone case which contains my cellphone, driver's license, 2 credit cards, 1 debitcard, vaccination card, regi and car insurance id.

I have a bifold wallet for other credit cards, medical insurance cards and a $20.

A have a 2 sectioned wristlet which contains my metrocard, museum cards and the like and a small amount of cash. If traveling, one side holds local currency.

I have a very small zippered pouch which usually contains $200.

This all goes into a Baggalini purse.

I like to spread my risk around.
Very nice products.
Baggalini link
https://www.baggallini.com/homepage?gcl ... gL7LfD_BwE
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

deserat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:59 am I used to travel a lot - and am starting to do so again. I currently live in Europe.

For travel I use a travel vest. I just purchased the Scotte vest and it has a myriad of pockets to place all kinds of stuff (e-books, passports, cards, bottle of water, etc). Most of the pockets have zippers and the really nice ones are on the inside of the vest, so any unwanted roving hands would need to be very stealthy, indeed. I've even started using it to just go out and about, as it keeps my hands free and my stuff out of view.

Otherwise, I carry a purse (usually smaller or travel that is 'hardened' against slashing, but if without that, I have a small card holder that holds two credit cards, two debit cards, my US driver's licenses, my other forms of ID, insurance cards, etc. I also have bought in my travels small zippered flat material pouches (they look like small Turkish rugs or have some deign from a foreign locale) that I use to carry different currencies. The pouches are thin, have different designs for ease of affiliation with a certain currency and also fit in the travel vest. While here in Europe, I have my passport and international driver's license as well, so have to have a fairly decent sized pocket to hold that.

Before the Scotte vest, I had another travel vest - not as many zippers, but still useful.
Scotte vests and products: link
https://www.scottevest.com/?channel=cpc ... gLUovD_BwE

very innovative and quality products at ScotteVest
thanks!
:D
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 pm
mrb09 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am <snip>

If I'm out without the car, I'll take a shoulder bag with a mini-first aid kit in an altoids mint box, a swiss army knife, backup battery for cell phone.

For international travel, I always carry a shoulder bag and have a case for passports + international driver's license
What kind of shoulder bags?

j :D
I have an old eagle creek bag no longer made, but it is similar to a Tom Bihn Side Effect. I wear it with a sholder strap, not fanny pack style.

If I think I'll be carrying jackets, then I'll bring my old Aerostitch Dispatch Bag and toss the shoulder bag in it along with the jackets. I wouldn't recommend this bag in particular (although I've had it over 25 years and it is still going strong), but a courier style bag is great when traveling, you can just swing to the front when sitting down in a train, or traveling through a crowd when you need to watch it. If I need to check it in a museum, then I take out the shoulder bag and check the bag and jackets.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:23 am
mrb09 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am - $202 dollars in cash (1x$100, 2x$20, 1x$10, 2x$1)
Your math works differently than mine. :mrgreen:
Hah! you're right, I left out a $50 in the list.
spammagnet

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women?

Post by spammagnet »

lazydavid wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:24 am... Even if the terminal doesn't support Samsung Pay, it can still work, but is trickier. A number of years ago, Samsung purchased a company called LoopPay and used their technology as the basis for Samsung Pay. It creates a magnetic field that tricks the stripe reader into thinking you've swiped a physical card.

I've only used it a couple of times, and it is a bit fiddly. But it does work. ...
I used to have an S7 and used the magnetic stripe reader trick a couple of times but, as you say, it's fiddly. Even for the regular NFC terminals I don't give it more than 10 seconds before I pull out plastic. I don't want to be "that person" that holds up the checkout line.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

BatBuckeye wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm... Having everything on the phone is quite intriguing. Fishing license is on my phone but not sure how to find it. ...
Google Pay and Samsung Pay both can store random membership/identity cards including a picture of it, and you can manually enter the ID number and expiration date for clarity. I assume Apple Pay can do the same.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

mrb09 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:17 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 pm
mrb09 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:50 am <snip>

If I'm out without the car, I'll take a shoulder bag with a mini-first aid kit in an altoids mint box, a swiss army knife, backup battery for cell phone.

For international travel, I always carry a shoulder bag and have a case for passports + international driver's license
What kind of shoulder bags?

j :D
I have an old eagle creek bag no longer made, but it is similar to a Tom Bihn Side Effect. I wear it with a sholder strap, not fanny pack style.

If I think I'll be carrying jackets, then I'll bring my old Aerostitch Dispatch Bag and toss the shoulder bag in it along with the jackets. I wouldn't recommend this bag in particular (although I've had it over 25 years and it is still going strong), but a courier style bag is great when traveling, you can just swing to the front when sitting down in a train, or traveling through a crowd when you need to watch it. If I need to check it in a museum, then I take out the shoulder bag and check the bag and jackets.
If you listed a ccw card in your wallet then a courier bag would be the compliment to that. (Kidding)

Will look at compact dispatch bags.
Thanks for the idea!
j🌺
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:03 amScotte vests and products: link
https://www.scottevest.com/?channel=cpc ... gLUovD_BwE

very innovative and quality products at ScotteVest
thanks!
:D
I was amused by the prospect of boxer briefs with pockets for my phone, passport and credit cards. Imagine the reaction you'd get in the cashier line while digging around in your underwear to produce a credit card.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

Phone and one of those clamshell aluminum wallets that holds all credit cards/id's/library card. I also carry the Leatherman, I have different models but I always have one because it's beyond useful. Cash just goes folded in my pocket and I've never lost cash.
helloeveryone

Re: How is your wallet or purse financially prepared: Suggestions?? what do you carry? men/women?

Post by helloeveryone »

madbrain wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 pm
helloeveryone wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:19 pm amazon visa card (to pay at costco since they dont take visa)
Say what ? Costco does take VISA.
oops I stated it wrong. i carry my amazon prime visa card because costco does not take my citi 2% cash back mastercard.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

Day to day:
- drivers license
- 2 credit cards (have 3, but rotate based on payment cycles)
- ATM card (though I will likely drop this out, only using it every 2 months or so)
- 3 grocery membership cards
- 3 medical cards (health, prescription, implant device info)
- < $100 cash
- 0-3 gift cards (based on ones I received plus where I might be going)

Travel
- Add gift cards if I have them for airport food options (easiest way for me to use them up)
- subtract grocery membership cards (unless going where there may be a Costco, keep that one)
- Add medical cards for dental and vision

This all fits fine in a regular mens wallet, < 3/4" thick. For travel to places where I need to carry a passport, I use a slim money belt. I have seen the hassles of dealing with a lost passport or CC when traveling, having a moneybelt under my clothes makes me fell more secure.

I have images of my covid vaccine card on my phone if needed, the card size not convenient for carrying in my wallet.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

I carry a very small leather bi-fold that is meant for business cards. In it I have my driver's license, my U.S. passport card (looks similar to federal ID and can be used instead of traditional passport), my bank debit Mastercard, my insurance card and my covid vaccine card. That's it! I carry cash in my front pocket. When we travel overseas I add a zipper pouch that goes around my waist below my belt-line and inside my pants.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Went through this when I lived overseas and travelled all the time. Kept reducing bit by bit.

Ultimately I used a bellrot slim travel wallet then. I stopped carrying my passport when I came back to the us and have used a big skinny wallet since. Simple Bifold.

Forced me to cut back but still have more than I’d like mostly because government and work.

1 credit card
1 debit/cash card
2 work Id (parking garage and building access)
2 gun permits
1 drivers license
1 insurance card (even in today le day and age everyone seems to need a card vs a picture)
1 voter id (just a piece of paper or I’d take it out between voting seasons)
1 expedited customs card (forgot what it’s called)
Some cash. $50 or so.

Wallet is maybe .75” thick with all that.

Call me old fashioned but I don’t like the not-a-wallet wallets. I like me a bifold
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

I've switched to a leather phone case with a wallet built in. I got tired of caring both in the summer with less pockets than the winter cloths.

3 credit cards - one for 6% groceries and 3% gas, second for 3% dining/drugstores, 3rd for 2x travel points.
1 debit card - for getting cash at the atm's.
1 state drivers licence.
3 big box cards (costco, sams, menards).
AAA card
health insurance card.
$50 behind the phone inside the plastic case.

We keep the car insurance cards in the cars.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

I keep my wallet as light as possible. This is what I'm carrying, very compact for the back pocket, fits in the front, or the inside pocket of a coat very easily.
https://www.fossil.com/en-us/products/i ... 35200.html

For Spending-
Credit Card
Debit Card
~$50 cash in various bills (this is only for valet type tips or food vendors who don't use cash)

For ID-
Drivers License
Carry Permit
VA Benefits ID
Health Insurance Card

The rest (currently)-
Dave & Busters Power Card (really this is just for impromptu personal time when work allows)
Punch card for a favorite lunch spot with co-workers
A receipt from yesterday's lunch I'm throwing out after this post

If I'm traveling, I'll really only add some extra cash (no more than $100 unless I'm in Vegas), any applicable rewards card, and a room key.