Do you carry ATM and health ins. cards?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Do you carry ATM and health ins. cards?

Post by NYCaviator »

Since COVID started I haven't carried cash. I'm thinking about ditching the health insurance and debit card and using one of those magnetic iPhone wallets to carry a license and Visa credit card. I never use my debit card, but always carry it with me "just in case" I need cash in a pinch. I've also never needed my physical HI card, but I thought it was prudent to carry it "just in case" I was injured and unconscious.

I've read that the HI card can affect what hospital you go to/treatment you get, but I've also read that it can be a huge identity theft/fraud risk because you can't just cancel it like a credit card if you lose your wallet.

I'm curious what other people think about carrying the debit and health insurance cards in your wallet and if its necessary?
squirm

Re: Do you carry ATM and health ins. cards?

Post by squirm »

Yes, I carry ATM and health and a bunch of other junk and some cash. I have Costanza's wallet. I'm not sure why Covid would have you change what you carry around though.
Last edited by squirm on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I still carry my ATM card -- probably just inertia, I haven't used cash in quite some time and still have some left that I withdrew in March, 2020. I still get requests to see my Medicare card + the Medigap card at providers so I still carry that.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I carry both.

I pay certain people in cash, so I need to make regular trips to the ATM.

On the heath insurance card, I’m at an age where I have semi-frequent doctor visits. It seems like I’m always asked for the card when I see a new doctor.

I’m not familiar with any identify theft issues with a heath insurance card. It’s tough for me to see how anybody could get health care using a card that has been lost/stolen, especially if they have nothing else that ties to my identity.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

squirm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:18 am Yes, I carry ATM and health and a bunch of other junk and some cash. I have Costanza's wallet. I'm not sure why Covid would have you change what you carry around though.
I used to use cash at various Royal Farms (mini-mart gas stations) when I stopped for a cup of coffee. They have all replaced the store clerks with self-checkout kiosks so now it is quicker to use a credit card. Typically there is one clerk available for those who use cash or don't want to scan and pay with CC and that line is often long and slow.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Yes, I still carry those cards in my wallet. I don't use them very often, but I do occasionally use them. Also, if I didn't carry the insurance card with me I'd probably forget to take it with me the next time I went to a doctor's appt. Not to mention you might wind up in an emergency room after an accident & wish you had it.

I only use my ATM card a few times a year now so maybe I could stop carrying it on a daily basis, but like the insurance card I'd rather have it on me just in case.
Last edited by Gryphon on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirm

Post by squirm »

jebmke wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:21 am
squirm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:18 am Yes, I carry ATM and health and a bunch of other junk and some cash. I have Costanza's wallet. I'm not sure why Covid would have you change what you carry around though.
I used to use cash at various Royal Farms (mini-mart gas stations) when I stopped for a cup of coffee. They have all replaced the store clerks with self-checkout kiosks so now it is quicker to use a credit card. Typically there is one clerk available for those who use cash or don't want to scan and pay with CC and that line is often long and slow.
I'm trying to think when the last time I used cash besides the kids school games....I can't. It's been a while since I went to the ATM. My wife forgot her ATM pin over ten years ago, so she just pillages through my wallet when she needs cash.
msi

Post by msi »

The risk of someone stealing my insurance card and getting drugs filled or procedures done in my name is not meaningful enough to me that I'd permanently take the card out of my wallet.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

No on the ATM card.

I keep pics of my health ins card on my phone, using my password keeper.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

squirm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:28 am I'm trying to think when the last time I used cash besides the kids school games....I can't. It's been a while since I went to the ATM. My wife forgot her ATM pin over ten years ago, so she just pillages through my wallet when she needs cash.
Can be very location specific. Pre-pandemic there were some local restaurants in my area that only took cash; same with a (very) few local businesses. Our normal place to buy crabs/crab meat in season used to be cash only but have since installed a credit card terminal. Same with a few farmers market stalls -- I think they have all converted to CC.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Yes. Cash is king, so I need to have some and have access to it for many things, including yard sales and estate sales. Healthcare providers seem to require a card instead of a photo of it.

I do not carry a social security card, and never write the number in on forms at doctor's offices, even if there's a place for it. That's never been an issue. It's an anachronism that they still have a place for a SSN at such places.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I carry 6-7 credit cards, debit card, corporate AMEX, health insurance and dental insurance card, license, cash, and a few other things. I recently got this wallet and you’d be shocked how much you can fit in it and it stays pretty slim for a “classic” wallet design.

https://www.amazon.com/Bellroy-Sleeve-w ... 764&sr=8-5

It’s more than I’d normally spend on a wallet, but its super nice. My vaccine card even *just* fits without any folding or creasing.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

squirm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:18 am I'm not sure why Covid would have you change what you carry around though.
Personally, I began to use Apple Pay more and more since businesses added (or activated) NFC terminals in an effort to avoid handling cash. Before that it seemed like a gimmick, but now I've realized our phones can (hopefully) replace wallets eventually.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

In wallet:
2 credit cards
1 ATM card
1 health insurance card
1 driver's license
2 work ID's
1 $20 bill

In car:
Small bills ($1, $5)
Auto club card

In drawer at home:
About 50 other cards (credit, debit, membership)

Nowhere:
Coins get left in the tip jar at whatever business gave them to me. I think cash only businesses that make change without a tip jar are probably non-existent.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:40 am
squirm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:18 am I'm not sure why Covid would have you change what you carry around though.
Personally, I began to use Apple Pay more and more since businesses added (or activated) NFC terminals in an effort to avoid handling cash. Before that it seemed like a gimmick, but now I've realized our phones can (hopefully) replace wallets eventually.
I've used it a few times as well; right now some businesses don't take it. I have also had a couple of instances where it didn't work (store said "that happens sometimes" blaming the terminal - who knows?) and I had to resort to my chip card (which has never failed).

My state is going to implement digital drivers license which will also be good.
rob

Post by rob »

Setup phone pay (google/apple/samsung/whatever) and stuff the license in the back of a clear case (photo side out since buying booze needs id)....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Bogle7

No

Post by Bogle7 »

1. Driver's license on my iPhone. Legal with state-created app.
2. Health insurance info as PDF in same app. Also, Medicare card.
3. Car insurance and registration cards as PDFs.
4. Vaccination record pulled from state's database in app.

5. Have not used cash in the USA in almost 3 years. See no need for ATM card.

6. Wallet (https://secrid.com/en-us/) contains:
a. 5 credit cards
b. 3 business cards
c. $11
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Chris56789

Post by Chris56789 »

Yes, I carry these cards with me--and cash (learned this lesson during a citywide power outage).
I bought a wallet with a zip pocket and chain. The wallet was probably intended for an adolescent still learning how to care for their possessions, but oh well. It stops me from leaving the wallet in dumb places, and from dropping stuff on the ground.
hudson

Post by hudson »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:49 am In wallet:
2 credit cards
1 ATM card
1 health insurance card
1 driver's license
2 work ID's
1 $20 bill

Nowhere:
Coins get left in the tip jar at whatever business gave them to me. I think cash only businesses that make change without a tip jar are probably non-existent.
about the same here...
In a new skinny wallet (Trayvax)
2 credit cards
1 ATM card
1 health insurance card
1 driver's license
5 twenties and some smaller bills (I frequent several cash only places; I like cash for tips.)

I may copy: change to tip jar.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

20+ various cards.
3+ various id's.
stack of cash.
thick trifold wallet that would not fit in a regular pair of slacks, maybe cargo pants or fanny pack, etc.

This would be an interesting post/thread.
thinking. . . . . .
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I only carry one credit card, so I do carry an ATM card just in case I need it.
I also carry my insurance card, drivers license, and some cash. That's it. I have a very slim wallet.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Realistically, is the health insurance card necessary? I can download the digital card on an app, and I've never had a doctor's office tell me they need the physical card (just ID number). Does it really make a difference in what hospital you go to / the treatment you receive if you have the card on you or not? (assuming you are unconscious). That would be my only concern.
jmw

Post by jmw »

I pay cash for certain services.

I also pay cash for "plants" that I wouldn't want the bank to know that I'm buying.

A good number of my eat out options are cash only.

I always carry my health insurance card.
Last edited by jmw on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:38 am Realistically, is the health insurance card necessary? I can download the digital card on an app, and I've never had a doctor's office tell me they need the physical card (just ID number). Does it really make a difference in what hospital you go to / the treatment you receive if you have the card on you or not? (assuming you are unconscious). That would be my only concern.
My doctor's office does ask for the physical card every so often. They seem to have a requirement to rescan it into their software (Epic) every so often even though my insurance card at this point is 30 years old and does not have an expiration date on it. Showing them a digital copy would not suffice, although I don't know what would happen if I said "I don't have my card with me, why do you need to scan it again"? Old habits are hard to break on this one I think. At least they don't ask me to FAX things to them any more.
Last edited by stan1 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I'm into shooting sports, and the places I go shooting most often don't accept cards. You are lucky if they have a functioning ATM onsite. Also, buying poker chips with a credit card is too expensive. They'll either charge you a big fee or run it as a cash advance, sometimes both. I have credit at some local places, or at least I used to. Delta has me pushing back from the table again and I wouldn't blame them for shutting off unused credit lines.

And a few other things. If your last ATM visit was 10 years ago you can probably skip the ATM card. As for your health insurance card, yeah just carry that. Especially if you are into poker, shooting, motorcycling, and you track your car sometimes as I do.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:46 am I'm into shooting sports, and the places I go shooting most often don't accept cards. You are lucky if they have a functioning ATM onsite. Also, buying poker chips with a credit card is too expensive. They'll either charge you a big fee or run it as a cash advance, sometimes both. I have credit at some local places, or at least I used to. Delta has me pushing back from the table again and I wouldn't blame them for shutting off unused credit lines.

And a few other things. If your last ATM visit was 10 years ago you can probably skip the ATM card. As for your health insurance card, yeah just carry that. Especially if you are into poker, shooting, motorcycling, and you track your car sometimes as I do.
Add to the list the donut shop near me as a cash only businesses. Great tasting low cost donuts but cash only. And they do have a prominent tip jar for the coins they carefully count out and hand back. Since COVID they have put the change on a tray so I just leave it there.
hudson

Post by hudson »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:38 am Realistically, is the health insurance card necessary? I can download the digital card on an app, and I've never had a doctor's office tell me they need the physical card (just ID number). Does it really make a difference in what hospital you go to / the treatment you receive if you have the card on you or not? (assuming you are unconscious). That would be my only concern.
I still need it because I get asked for the physical health insurance card.
Sometimes they also want my original Medicare card which I never provide because my health card does it all.
I'm not sure where my Medicare card is.
I'm ready for driver's licenses and health cards to go electronic. I'd be fine if I could just use my Apple watch for both. It won't be long.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 am I'm curious what other people think about carrying the debit and health insurance cards in your wallet and if its necessary?
I carry both.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Anyone just carry their phone/watch? Waiting for that day...
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Besides the Subways punch card. . . .

In some areas of the country, states, etc.
Also:
Both current health insurance cards, covid card, and covid passport id.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I see a lot of people reference an "ATM" card. Do you mean debit, or are there still banks that actually issue ATM only cards? If so, which ones?
hudson

Post by hudson »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 pm I see a lot of people reference an "ATM" card. Do you mean debit, or are there still banks that actually issue ATM only cards? If so, which ones?
ATM only. I had to call and request it.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Never an ATM/debit card. Health insurance, yes.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:00 pm Never an ATM/debit card. Health insurance, yes.
+1.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:08 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:00 pm Never an ATM/debit card. Health insurance, yes.
+1.
+2
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

No, I don't. I have a credit card and driver's license and registration. That's it. In case of an emergency, the phone numbers to my POA's are there and they can go to the house and get the papers. I haven't used an ATM in over 10 years...I just go inside to a teller.

There are two main hospital systems where I am at, over time, have had procedures at each so they have the information. I don't travel much anymore, when I did, I carried more.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

My concern with carrying an ATM card to the main transactional checking account was with the low level of protection one is offered if the wallet is lost and the card is used as a credit card at a store with no PIN required. For that reason, I carried card to a separate account that only had a few hundred in it just for cash access via ATM.

These days, some financial institutions (Ally, DCU and MIT FCU in my case) have a feature called "card control" or some such. I now have my debit card setup to decline any and all POS transactions outright, so it can only be used at an ATM. No PIN - no luck.

I have further limited the amount of cash that can be withdrawn in one transaction to much less than a maximum limit allowed by the institution. If I ever need more cash, I can quickly make changes from their smartphone app right before approaching the ATM. Alternatively, I could disable the card altogether and only enable it if I need cash - but that wold require me to take the extra step every time I want to do a quick $40 withdraw.

Something to look into.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
bonglehead

Post by bonglehead »

I have switched to using the mag safe wallet attached to my phone, it only allows 3 cards so I have my DL, Fido credit card and my office badge.
I have been doing it for 3 weeks and really like the light feeling, hope I don’t ever have to carry a separate wallet again
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't carry either on a regular basis.

I grab my health insurance cards when I have a doctor's appointment, but then return them to the drawer when I get home.

I put my ATM card into my wallet once or twice a month when I need to visit the ATM. Otherwise, it, too, lives in my drawer.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Nowhere:
How do you shop at Aldi?
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

hudson wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 pm
NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:10 pm I see a lot of people reference an "ATM" card. Do you mean debit, or are there still banks that actually issue ATM only cards? If so, which ones?
What bank are you with? The two banks I’m with only offer visa debit.
Retired Bill

Post by Retired Bill »

ATM - No (once a month use it for enough cash to carry me to next month)

Health Ins Cards - Yes (I'm in my 70's so never know when might need them, and would forget them if kept at home and had doctor's appointments that day) Do have photo copies of them in a permanent file at home.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:20 pm
Bank of America lets me have only an ATM card.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

hudson wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:50 am
I still need it because I get asked for the physical health insurance card.
Sometimes they also want my original Medicare card which I never provide because my health card does it all.
I'm not sure where my Medicare card is.
I'm ready for driver's licenses and health cards to go electronic. I'd be fine if I could just use my Apple watch for both. It won't be long.
My providers require the Medicare card (that's whom they bill first) and my Medicare supplement card (whom they bill if the automatic link to Medicare failed). Or did you mean the original Social Security card?
egrets

Post by egrets »

Stinky wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:21 am
On the heath insurance card, I’m at an age where I have semi-frequent doctor visits. It seems like I’m always asked for the card when I see a new doctor.

I’m not familiar with any identify theft issues with a heath insurance card. It’s tough for me to see how anybody could get health care using a card that has been lost/stolen, especially if they have nothing else that ties to my identity.
The doctors' offices always ask for my Medicare, Medigap cards and a photo id, both new doctors and current doctors.

I never use an ATM. Maybe twice a year or so I get about $200 in small bills for tips, farmers' markets, emergency funds when power goes out, etc.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I've never carried my health insurance card, although I do have a digital copy of it available in a pinch.

I'm currently carrying my ATM card, but that's a more recent change for me. I've been experimenting with using more cash. I previously put everything on a credit card, and only reviewed the spending when I paid the statement. I'm finding I'm more conscious of the spending when I have to be aware of how much cash is on me, how much is currently available in the account (along with other upcoming expenses). Not sure if I'll stick with it, but we'll see.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
hudson

Post by hudson »

A local credit union that has restricted membership.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

The card I'm carrying is a debit card.
FWIW, Chase bank gave me an ATM only card when I opened a savings account with them. I later opened a checking account which came with a debit card, either card could be used to access ATM withdrawals for either account, and either card could be independently disabled online.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

hudson wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm
A local credit union that has restricted membership.
I know that https://becu.org/ offers ATM only cards as an option. It must be requested.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Nowhere:
How do you shop at Aldi?
We don't have an Aldi near us but Aldi takes credit, debit, Apple/Google pay per their website
https://www.aldi.us/en/about-aldi/faqs/ ... s-coupons/