Do you carry ATM and health ins. cards?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anon_investor

Re: Do you carry ATM and health ins. cards?

Post by anon_investor »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:22 pm
Blue456 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:16 pm
stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:49 am In wallet:

Nowhere:
Coins get left in the tip jar at whatever business gave them to me. I think cash only businesses that make change without a tip jar are probably non-existent.
How do you shop at Aldi?
We don't have an Aldi near us but Aldi takes credit, debit, Apple/Google pay per their website
https://www.aldi.us/en/about-aldi/faqs/ ... s-coupons/
Interesting, I haven't been to an Aldi in almost decade, and back then they only took cash or debit.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

squirm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:18 am Yes, I carry ATM and health and a bunch of other junk and some cash. I have Costanza's wallet. I'm not sure why Covid would have you change what you carry around though.
Ah, that's one real advantage of carrying a purse aka handbag.
"Handbag" is perhaps a better descriptor than something like a little "purse" sometimes!

There's no end to how many cards one can carry. Or pens!
(I'm convinced that pens multiply in the bottom of such bags.)
And then there are the assorted snacks, various necessary and unnecessary supplies, perhaps some notepads, a cell phone (and in the good old days, a nice "hand calculator"), and of course, lunch, extra shoes, and who knows what else.
That's also why I prefer [the increasingly scarce] bottle of soda or sparkling water with a resealable top. It's not easy to carry an open can of liquid in a purse/handbag... :annoyed

Worrying about an extra *card* or two!?
Ha!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Nowhere:
Coins get left in the tip jar at whatever business gave them to me. I think cash only businesses that make change without a tip jar are probably non-existent.
How do you shop at Aldi?
We don't have an Aldi near us but Aldi takes credit, debit, Apple/Google pay per their website
Interesting, I haven't been to an Aldi in almost decade, and back then they only took cash or debit.
Appears they started taking credit cards in March 2016 (at least in the US).
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Nowhere:
How do you shop at Aldi?
Yeah but Aldi's shopping cart does not, lol. It requires you put in a quarter. Hence you need those pesky quarters with you at all times.
squirm

Post by squirm »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:24 pm
squirm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:18 am Yes, I carry ATM and health and a bunch of other junk and some cash. I have Costanza's wallet. I'm not sure why Covid would have you change what you carry around though.
Ah, that's one real advantage of carrying a purse aka handbag.
"Handbag" is perhaps a better descriptor than something like a little "purse" sometimes!

There's no end to how many cards one can carry. Or pens!
(I'm convinced that pens multiply in the bottom of such bags.)
And then there are the assorted snacks, various necessary and unnecessary supplies, perhaps some notepads, a cell phone (and in the good old days, a nice "hand calculator"), and of course, lunch, extra shoes, and who knows what else.
That's also why I prefer [the increasingly scarce] bottle of soda or sparkling water with a resealable top. It's not easy to carry an open can of liquid in a purse/handbag... :annoyed

Worrying about an extra *card* or two!?
Ha!

RM
I have to carry extra cards and store loyalty cards, the pouches, slits (or whatever their called that you stick your credit cards into) are all stretched out, so everything stays snug and doesn't fall out.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Yes. Many restaurants I go to, as well as my haircut place, only accept cash. So I need the ATM card.
I go to the doctor and pharmacy frequently enough that I need to carry the insurance card.
AustenNut

Post by AustenNut »

I carry both. The ATM (i.e. debit card) isn't used for cash withdrawals so much as it is for 12 swipes per month as a MC/Visa (I can't remember which it is). Making 12 swipes a month gets us about 2% extra in interest on the first $25k in our checking account, and about 1% extra on anything over $25k. This is from a local bank, but I know that other credit unions and small banks have maintained similar offers.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

No, neither. I haven’t been to an ATM in three or four years, and I have a scan of my health insurance card on my phone.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

No to both, my insurance info is in the emergency area available to first responders on my phone and I have pictures.

I carry two credit cards and my drivers license, will be glad when my state has digital ID and Apple Pay is accepted everywhere and I can drop even those.
bgvg

Post by bgvg »

I only carry my ATM/debit card when I’m traveling some place where my bank doesn’t have an accessible ATM. If I have to carry an ATM card, it’s usually from a bank that reimburses all fees charged by the ATM.

If you have to use an indoor ATM with your bank, you will still have to have the card with you.

Most major banks have cardless ATMs. I try to avoid swiping or inserting any card if possible to avoid the risk of skimming. You still have to enter a PIN, but it’s useless to the thief/hacker due to the way Apple’s mobile wallet operates.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I was just in Washington DC. There were two restaurants right next to each other. One had posted on the door that they took Cash Only. The other posted on the door that they did Not accept Cash. I took pictures of both as I found the contrast amusing and maybe even a bit disturbing.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 am Since COVID started I haven't carried cash. I'm thinking about ditching the health insurance and debit card and using one of those magnetic iPhone wallets to carry a license and Visa credit card. I never use my debit card, but always carry it with me "just in case" I need cash in a pinch. I've also never needed my physical HI card, but I thought it was prudent to carry it "just in case" I was injured and unconscious.

I've read that the HI card can affect what hospital you go to/treatment you get, but I've also read that it can be a huge identity theft/fraud risk because you can't just cancel it like a credit card if you lose your wallet.

I'm curious what other people think about carrying the debit and health insurance cards in your wallet and if its necessary?
I take my insurance card with me if I go out of state or go far away. Otherwise, insurance card stays home. In the worst case, with a phone to my insurance company, healthcare provider should be able to confirm medical coverage.

I usually go to teller to get cash. I withdraw enough to last me several months. I prefer not to go to ATM which limits the amount I can withdraw.

I use credit card extensively. Even for small purchase at reputable stores. I use cash at gas stations (not costco) and few other stores I have less faith about their safety practices.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
invest4

Post by invest4 »

ATM...never (somewhat doubtful I can even find it).

Health Ins...yes.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Metsfan91 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:26 am I take my insurance card with me if I go out of state or go far away. Otherwise, insurance card stays home. In the worst case, with a phone to my insurance company, healthcare provider should be able to confirm medical coverage.
No, the worst case is you are in an accident and unconscious, and you can't make that phone call.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

bgvg wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:13 pm Most major banks have cardless ATMs.
Fidelity doesn't, unfortunately. But the point of having my Fidelity debit card is to be able to go to any ATM in the world, and not pay any fees (ATM operator fees are reimbursed). Being restricted to a small subset of the 3 million ATMs in the world would defeat the point of having the account. So yes, I definitely carry the card.

My credit union is in the top 20 nationwide by assets, and no cardless ATMs either.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I carry my ATM card, a couple of credit cards, and a few other misc cards. Not the Costanza wallet, but not super slim either. One thing I have done is to take pictures of my cards, front and back, and store them in a password-protected page in OneNote. It can cut down on the number of cards needed to be physically carried (example: I don't need to carry around my vision insurance card all year), and also would be helpful if my wallet is ever stolen.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

One of the few things I like about Bank of America (and I think some other big banks) is that I can use a digital card on my phone and access a BofA ATM with no physical card.

I don't generally keep a hard copy of my health insurance but keep a pdf on my phone. If I can download and print my own card I'm not sure why that wouldn't be acceptable to most medical offices but am not to the point where I frequently need to show insurance card.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Laundry_Service wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:03 am I don't generally keep a hard copy of my health insurance but keep a pdf on my phone. If I can download and print my own card I'm not sure why that wouldn't be acceptable to most medical offices but am not to the point where I frequently need to show insurance card.
I have found having the plastic health insurance card in your wallet at all times is useful for unplanned visits to the ER...
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

I’m a big fan of the iPhone wallet app. I no longer carry the health insurance card sine it is in the iPhone wallet. Offices occasionally ask for the physical card and I just show them the screen. Also in the wallet are all my credit cards, and many stores and restaurants allow you to pay with the iPhone. The iPhone wallet also hold other things like movie or concert tickets, auto insurance cards, hertz card, AA advantage card and so on. It also has my Chase debit, and Chase ATMs allow you to withdraw cash via phone. No need to carry a lot of stuff in your wallet
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

madbrain wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:33 am
Metsfan91 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:26 am I take my insurance card with me if I go out of state or go far away. Otherwise, insurance card stays home. In the worst case, with a phone to my insurance company, healthcare provider should be able to confirm medical coverage.
No, the worst case is you are in an accident and unconscious, and you can't make that phone call.
Good point. Thanks... Time to rethink strategy.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch