What streaming services do you use and what’s your strategy for using them?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ependytis

What streaming services do you use and what’s your strategy for using them?

Post by Ependytis »

What streaming services do you use and what’s your strategy for using them? I have used Netflix, Hulu, and Apple TV+. In the past, I would choose a service and then have it for months even though I felt there was no new content for me. Now if I exhaust their content, I change services on the fly. It takes about 10 minutes to cancel one service and sign on with another.
pizzy

Re: What streaming services do you use and what’s your strategy for using them?

Post by pizzy »

Netflix and Peacock (included with Xfinity)
HBO Max (included with AT&T)
Apple TV (included with Apple One)
Amazon TV (included with Prime)

I barely use any of them.
Last edited by pizzy on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Spark
Pulsar
MQTT

To add needless, difficult to diagnose, complexity for clients who want to upgrade their legacy systems so I can make more money.
Afty

Post by Afty »

We consistently subscribe to Netflix and Disney+ because my kids watch them. Then we rotate another service when there’s something we want to watch. Right now that’s HBO Max.

I always pay for the ad-free tier if there’s one available. Life is too short to watch ads.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Netflix (shared with daughter)
Amazon Prime--had Prime already
Hulu ($2 version)
PBS Passport
Philo (just started)

Losing Locast was a real bummer.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

I subscribe to one at a time. We don't watch TV enough to run out of stuff. Right now we are on HBO max since they had a 50% off for 6 months offer. Before that we were on Netflix.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I've been enjoying MHZChoice and am considering Acorn.

Otherwise, Netflix, Prime, Masterclass, HuluPlus, PBS.
Expensive to be a chord cutter!
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

We have Hulu TV for sports. We also have a few other common names. The commercial free option for Hulu is not commercial free across the board. I'd be willing to switch but YoutubeTV just isn't cutting it YET. We spend less than a loaded Xfiniti package but not by much. I've said it before. I'd go back to Xfiniti if they offered a package with everything. Cordcutting is a clunky way to do business.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

We have cable TV with hundreds of channels and Internet (300 mbps) for $110/month. This includes HBO Max streaming (it is $10 of that $110 bill). We also have Disney Plus and Amazon Prime (paid for by my father-in-law) and Apple TV+ (free for a year from purchasing an iPad Pro - the iPad was donated). We use all the streaming services a fair bit. My kid likes Disney Plus, my wife likes Apple TV+, and I’m a fan of HBO shows.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

My strategy had been to rotate between streaming services --- subscribe to one at a time, sort of slow-motion binge watch whatever we really wanted to see and then move on. Lather, rinse, repeat. Well, plus I have a DVR to watch OTA (local broadcast) stuff.

But T-Mobile gave me a free year of Apple+ TV, and also gives me a discount on Netflix. And Comcast/Xfinity/whatever-they-call-themselves-this-week gives me a discount on Peacock TV.

So we're slowly working through "Zoe's Extraordinary Adventure" on Peacock --- while I continue to hope for a second season of 'Resident Alien' (recommended). When done with that, we'll drop Peacock. We'll watch various things on Apple+ TV for the free year and then drop that. Netflix is just a long-term keeper as the discount from T-Mobile doesn't expire. I say discount as we share it with our kids so we do pay for the top-end version of it, but it would otherwise just be 'free' (with T-Mobile subscription).

Thus my choices are sort of made for me by all of this free and discounted stuff coming at me. In a year or more I expect we'll subscribe to Disney just to go through all of the Star Wars stuff, and then drop that. No rush as we're not running short of things to watch as it is now!
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Only the free ones.

Pluto, Tubi and Crackle
danaht

Post by danaht »

Sling TV - Sling Blue + Sling News Extra - Gives me all the cable channels I want + the all the news channels - and one of the cheapest options. The default 20 hours of recording is just enough to record all the news programs that I watch.
Netflix - Tough to live without Netflix
HBOMax - Probably the closest thing that compares to Netflix. I subscribe to this service when they offer deals like 6 months for $6.99 month.
Amazon Prime - I only subscribe to Amazon Prime when they decide to offer me 1 month for free (usually once a year) - I always cancel right afterwards. It's good to catch up with all the Prime shows for that 1 month.
Vudu - I have a lot of movies to watch here from all the digital copies received over the years from buying blu/ray discs. It's a free service if you are not buying any more movies to rent or buy.
Microsoft Game Pass Ultimate - I consider this a streaming service now - since you can stream game pass games to your phone and play on your phone. It's a good deal if you can find a online coupon code for it at a discounted price.

My favorite device to stream most of these is a Nvidia Shield TV 2019 - seems to be the fastest/cheapest player available. I also favor the Android OS for my small devices. I am hoping Nvidia will update the hardware soon - since it has been a long time since the hardware was changed in these devices.
Last edited by danaht on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:01 pm Only the free ones.

Pluto, Tubi and Crackle
I have Peacock which is free as well.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Spotify family plan
AppleTV+ (still free from MacBook purchase)
Netflix
Hulu
HBO Max (bundled with ATT Wireless)
Prime Video (bundled with Amazon Prime)
Disney+ (gifted annually to the kids by MIL)

We also have Comcast/Xfinity. Personally I could easily live w/o Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, and AppleTV+. But there is somebody in the family who really enjoys some portion of each service so they may be here to stay.

We tried dumping Xfinity, but then the bandwidth limits come in and the broadband bill spikes.

The other benefit of having cable at home, our vacation home doesn’t have cable available, but we are able to access many channel specific apps via Roku at no additional cost as cable subscribers.

When you look at the costs of TV/Music services one consumes its silly. We are spending about $230-$250 a month on all these services.
lws

Post by lws »

Netflix
PBS
Amazon Prime
YouTube
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

YouTube TV
Netflix (shared)
Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Unlimited Music
Disney+ (DWs subscription via Cell provider)
Tubi (free)
IMDb (free)

I occasionally sign up for HBO Max and/or Hulu if a good series finishes and I'd like to view it via bingeing for a couple of months.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Pay all year round:
-----------------------
$14.99 - HBO MAX
$13.99 - Netflix
$ 0.00 - Hulu - free from Sprint that will change to Netflix soon as T-MO rolls it so we will pay for Hulu no adds then.

Pay a month when we want to watch something:
-----------------------------------------------------------
$7.99 - Disney+
$4.99 - Paramount+ -- Star Trek: Picard & Yellowstone
$7.99 - Crunchy Roll -- various anime

Free:
------
Pluto TV - I like the 007/Western's/Bob Ross channel during work as back ground noise.
Amazon Prime - I don't include it as a streaming service as I use it primarily for shopping but we have it.

I'll probably add AppleTV for Foundation & All for Mankind to the pay a month category soon.
That's $30 every month and then $21 more if I was crazy enough to run all three per month ones.

$51 is still a bit under under what I pay for internet alone and nothing like I payed for cable a decade ago.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I have Netflix, HULU, and Prime.

I'll turn on and off: BritBox (depends), Hallmark Movies (Christmas time), Paramount+ (for Picard), Disney+, and HBO Max (depends).

From my library, I get Hoopla.

I also like the free ones: Peacock, ROKU channel, YouTube, PlutoTV, CW Seed, and CW.

I current am paying for HBO Max and Disney+ right now. But these I might turn off in the future.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't use streaming services.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Netflix
Disney
Amazon
Great Courses
Apple TV+
Youtube premium
Spotify

As soon as I perceive we don't really use any of these, we can them.
nhs76

Post by nhs76 »

Amazon Prime (TV series and documentaries, the usual)
Netflix (not using much since we finished Lupin, might cancel for a while)
Hulu (cheap promo, wanted to see High Fidelity and Devs, will probably cancel)
PBS Passport (should try to use more - especially arts programs)
MLB.TV (mid-season promo rate)
B1G+ (Big Ten hockey package - peeved because supposed Roku access isn't working, but at least web access does)

Considering trial of Disney+/ESPN+ package to see Foundation series - also, moar hockey

Side note: AT&T Uverse TV has gotten pricey beyond belief.
tsupersonic

Post by tsupersonic »

YouTube Premium - $7.99 (grandfathered in from the Google Play Music All Access days)
Netflix - $13.99
Hulu / Disney / ESPN - $13.99 - just started
Amazon Prime ~$10 ($119/yr)

Total: $46/month
Blech. Thinking of cancelling Netflix for now, and binging Hulu. Probably will switch back and forth, as we have limited time to watch stuff
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Netflix
Britbox
Acorn
HBO Max

I try to keep only the ones I'm more or less actively using, say within the past month or two. I also have Amazon Prime for the shipping discount, but I don't really watch the video stream much.
mancich

Post by mancich »

YouTubeTV
Netflix
Disney+
HBOMax
Of course, Amazon Prime video comes along with being a Prime member too.

YouTube TV serves as the core, and as a sub to having to get cable. The others are fill-in. I'd like to cut back on some of the others but lost that battle with DW and daughters :D
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

We don't watch much TV, no interest in sports or broadcast "news" either, I've always preferred to play video games instead.

However, we keep Netflix and Disney plus active to watch the occasional series or movie. Both are mostly used by our younger kids

We also have HBO max and Amazon Video for free from home internet service and Prime, but don't really use these outside of a special case for exclusive content like the expanse on Amazon. Eventually I'll get around to watching the last 2 star trek series through paramount, will activate/cancel in that case as it's a 2 show streaming service
Last edited by hoofaman on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NET1

Post by NET1 »

Netflix
Disney+
Hulu
HBO Max
Prime (doesn't even count in my book - we watch zero Prime-specific content but we have Prime anyway so...)

Disney and Hulu are part of a bundle and receive a discount. We'll subscribe to HBO Max until Succession is done. Will reactivate when Barry and Righteous Gemstones are back. Max really does have a ton of content so it may end up on the perma-subscribe list soon.

If Hulu wasn't bundled and relatively cheap we probably wouldn't keep it permanently subscribed.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Cut the cord maybe 8 or 10 years ago and don't miss it one bit. We have multiple (probably too many) streaming services for our family:

OTA Antenna - All local free channels
Sling Blue - has the key stations I enjoy - TNT, TBS, USA, FX, Fox News, SyFy, AMC. For not being the Sports option it does have lots of sports (non-ESPN). I was concerned that I would be disappointed for football season, but really no issues so far this season. :beer What I like most is the DVR being able to support 50 hours of recording - this is a really nice feature.
Netflix - Whole family uses this service.
Prime - Already a benefit as being a Prime Member. Some program watching, but mostly used for the free music steaming.
Disney + - I pre-paid for 3 years of Disney at start up, but will probably let it go after three years are up. DS does watch many of the documentary items - Gordon Ramsey, Drain the Oceans, etc.
Hulu - Shared with my DD as she gets it via her student membership with Spotify (Which I pay for). DW does watch much of the content.
Showtime - Shared with my DD as she gets it via her student membership with Spotify (Which I pay for). We never watch this as not much there of interest.
Couple of Free Services - IMDb, Pluto TV, Roku TV, Canopy (from local library), etc.

The backbone of all this is the WOW 500 MB Internet service at a monthly cost of $45.
Last edited by AllMostThere on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

nhs76 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:18 am ...
Considering trial of Disney+/ESPN+ package to see Foundation series
The Foundation series is on Apple TV+
riverant

Post by riverant »

Cut the cord years ago and Consistently have Netflix, Amazon, Disney+. Have periodically had Hulu, HBO, and CBS, but likely will just ignore shows not on my main 3 going forward.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

HD TV via antenna with OTA Tivo (lifetime guide subscription) for local networks and PBS
plus -

Amazon Prime
MHZChoice - lots of very good foreign language programing
Netflix
PBS

We tend to turn the streaming vendors on and off on a month to month basis (except Prime) based on what we are currently watching.

We cut the cable 6 years ago and don't miss it. Caveat is that other than Olympics we generally don't watch televised sports.

Our monthly cost including streaming is significantly lower than typical cable/ATT TV package.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Tubi (free)
Peacock (free)
Amazon Prime
Showtime
Apple TV (included in a larger Apple bundle)
Netflix
Hulu
HBO Max
Disney+

Yeah, pretty much most of them. We live overseas and don’t watch much local TV. We also don’t have many large expenses, so cost is not a big factor.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
mrjohnanderson007

Post by mrjohnanderson007 »

None as there is enough free material for that hour a week of being unproductive
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Recurring:
Sling
Netflix (free through T-Mobile)

Rotate:
HBO max (currently using)
Hulu (usually anime based, so basically for Attack on Titan)
Crunchyroll
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Ependytis wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:38 am What streaming services do you use and what’s your strategy for using them? I have used Netflix, Hulu, and Apple TV+. In the past, I would choose a service and then have it for months even though I felt there was no new content for me. Now if I exhaust their content, I change services on the fly. It takes about 10 minutes to cancel one service and sign on with another.
That seems like a good strategy. I recently dropped Amazon Prime as I wasn't finding the content compelling (and I wasn't ordering much on Amazon). When the Lord of the Rings series comes on Amazon perhaps I'll get it back and binge, or watch with my son on his account. I got Disney+ for the COVID year (my 20s kids and I like Marvel Movies and Mandalorian). I'm dropping Disney until the next Mandalorian is fully released, then maybe I'll get it for a month and binge it. I may get Apple TV for a month to binge Foundation sometime too.

Another savings strategy is sharing an account among immediate family to the extent allowed by the service's TOS - policies about sharing have changed over the years so you need to check and see what they say is legit.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I use Netflix discs, $13/mo, for two discs at a time, unlimited returns per month. This is a grandfathered rate that I don’t think is still offered. Bigger selection of classic and foreign movies than streaming, super cheap, low tech and - my priority - limits binge viewing. Plus I don’t have cable at home so it’s my only entertainment cost outside of the WSJ. My BH donation is under „education.“

I also have Amex traditional green charge card for the grandfathered $55 annual fee, didn’t join membership rewards. Same strategy- didn’t want to incentivize spending. Much of how I consume is strategized to avoid excess.

YMMV.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rixer

Post by rixer »

We use Netflix, Hulu and HBO Max. With these three services, we have plenty of stuff to watch. We recently dropped cable tv and intalled an antennae for free OTA broadcasts for news and sports. The reception somehow even looks better over the air than through Comcast..
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video (plus PBS Kids channel), and MLB.tv

We watch them all often enough to keep them full time. I can't imagine running out of content on any of them...
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

rixer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 am. The reception somehow even looks better over the air than through Comcast..
It should. OTA is a much higher bandwidth signal, often in 1080P. Cable companies heavily compress their video and provide at 1080i at best.
WingsFan4Life

Post by WingsFan4Life »

Netflix and Pandora Radio. My strategy is to use them as much as possible.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Bungo wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:41 am Netflix
Britbox
Acorn
HBO Max
We are similar, specifically Britbox and Acorn. It surprises me not to have seen more mention of these here. We also have Netflix.

We don't have HBO but have Amazon and Disney (for access to National Geographic). We also have PBS. There are some Masterpiece Theater things we used to watch on PBS but haven't watched anything on PBS in quite some time so we are considering dropping it.

I've never been to Britain but do think their TV is much better than US TV. Or perhaps it's just that their back catalog has more stuff we haven't seen yet. Also, I've grown tired of car chases and explosions (US TV).
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

bertilak wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am
Britbox
Acorn
HBO Max
We are similar, specifically Britbox and Acorn. It surprises me not to have seen more mention of these here. We also have Netflix.

We don't have HBO but have Amazon and Disney (for access to National Geographic). We also have PBS. There are some Masterpiece Theater things we used to watch on PBS but haven't watched anything on PBS in quite some time so we are considering dropping it.

I've never been to Britain but do think their TV is much better than US TV. Or perhaps it's just that their back catalog has more stuff we haven't seen yet. Also, I've grown tired of car chases and explosions (US TV).
We also alternate between Acorn and Britbox, and sometimes PBS. We love British drama and, especially, mysteries. I think that the last American TV sitcom that we watched was the Cosby Show back in the 80's. The only on-air TV we watch now is the local news.

Edit: We haven't subscribed to cable TV in many years. Why pay to watch lots of commercials?
plasticofantastico

Post by plasticofantastico »

No real strategy, but we subscribe to the following:

YouTube TV
Netflix family plan
Apple TV+ (free year with T-mobile)
HBO Max (free student plan)
Hulu with ads (free student plan)
Prime Video
Prime Music Unlimited ($1/ month student plan)
Disney + (we turn this on when there is content we want, off once we have seen it)

The monthly cost for all of this is about 1/2 what we were paying for DirecTV when we cut the cord a few years ago. YouTube TV is great - especially the DVR functionality.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

dcnut wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:14 am
bertilak wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am
Britbox
Acorn
HBO Max

We also alternate between Acorn and Britbox, and sometimes PBS. We love British drama and, especially, mysteries. I think that the last American TV sitcom that we watched was the Cosby Show back in the 80's. The only on-air TV we watch now is the local news.

Edit: We haven't subscribed to cable TV in many years. Why pay to watch lots of commercials?
+1
We order these through our Amazon account, which gets us a 5% discount. Additionally, when we first signed up some years ago, the streaming was more reliable and higher picture quality through Amazon than purchasing BritBox directly but that might well have changed. And, a plug for the curated content made available from Walter Presents (via iirc PBS) whose foreign shows are a hit with us probably 50% of the time (much higher hit rate than normal).

“On air” show that we stream is Survivor, a show that has evolved over the years and remains must see TV.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
student

Post by student »

Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, HBO+. Each has a couple of shows that I want to watch.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:51 pm
We order these through our Amazon account, which gets us a 5% discount. Additionally, when we first signed up some years ago, the streaming was more reliable and higher picture quality through Amazon than purchasing BritBox directly but that might well have changed. And, a plug for the curated content made available from Walter Presents (via iirc PBS) whose foreign shows are a hit with us probably 50% of the time (much higher hit rate than normal).

“On air” show that we stream is Survivor, a show that has evolved over the years and remains must see TV.
I think Britbox and Acorn have the same quality streaming as Amazon. On thing I like about Amazon is you can push the down arrow and get names, pictures and mini bios of the on-screen actors.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Netflix (piggyback off dad)
Spotify (makes work enjoyable)

So... $10/mo. Plus internet.

I remember 12 years ago, when I relied on the occasional DVD from Blockbuster, movie at a theater (what's that? lol), CDs, radio, live music, and books for entertainment provided by others. One of my friends was all "You don't have internet? How do you live?" Pretty well, actually. Good times.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Netflix (I don't watch that much video)
Tidal HiFi (use it every day for streaming music)
Toons

Post by Toons »

Prime Video,Netflix for spouse
Youtube Premium for me

No cable tv
Do not watch OTA.

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
namajones

Post by namajones »

My recommendation: Keep a tight watch on all of the electronic subscriptions you have. If you don't use 'em, lose 'em.

All these monthly charges can add up to big bucks.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

We have the following services - all prices exclusive of tax:

Spotify Duo: $12.99/mo
Disney+: $79.99/yr
Prime: $119/yr
Peacock: $9.99/mo (paid via AMEX Platinum credits)
Audible Premium: $15.99/mo (paid via AMEX Platinum credits)
NY Times: $4/mo (paid via AMEX Platinum credits) - we have two AMEX Platinums for now.

Pluto TV - Free

Have FIOS 100/100 service that is $52.99/mo.