Pliers: Channel lock or Knipex?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Random Poster

Pliers: Channel lock or Knipex?

Post by Random Poster »

I have determined that I probably need to buy a few pliers and wrenches.

Basically: an 8” needle nose (but maybe a 6” also); a 10” and 12” tongue and groove (or water pump); a 9.5” lineman’s; and one adjustable crescent wrench.

I think I have it down to two main brands for each item: Channel lock and Knipex.

Channel locks are generally 50% to 25% cheaper than Knipex, but there sure are a lot of fanboys for Knipex on the internet.

So my question is this:

For basic homeowner use (plumbing and electrical), does it really matter which brand I go with?

I get the whole “buy once/cry once” mentality, but in this context, is Knipex really up to twice as good as Channel lock for non-professionals?

Additionally, what would someone use a plier wrench for? Knipex sells one, but I can’t quite figure out it’s use, if you already have a set of box and open end wrenches.

Thank you.
Most experiences are better imagined.
yatesd

Re: Pliers: Channel lock or Knipex?

Post by yatesd »

Knipex may be better (never owned), but Channel Locks are made in the USA out of Meadville, PA. I have a few pairs and have no complaints. Another highly rated brand is Klein Tools.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I think you will enjoy watching this video of Channel Lock factory tour:
https://youtu.be/zjFgUXF9cm8
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

There's a detailed explanation of pliers wrench at www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10-Inch-P...B000X4OG94

I have tools I've purchased and collected during my 71 years and some of the belonged to my grandfathers, uncles, an aunt, and my father. I owned a house built in 1916 for 40 years and did a lot of the work myself. When I remarried in 2018 my wife's late (2008 fwiw) husband left a 3-car garage, and a '64 Olds 2-door convertible, along with chests of Craftsman, Thorsen and various other sets along with an engine hoist, floor jack and whatnot. He enjoyed rebuilding old cars and driving them.

Of course, now I have two table saws, 8 drills, 3 vises, 17 hammers from tack to sledge and too many oil filter wrenches to count.

Honestly, for a homeowner who may or may not use the tools very often I'd buy something at Harbor Freight and if you can break them then move up to Crescent, Channellock or whatever the big box stores are selling these days. I have lots of Craftsman, Crescent and Channellock stuff and it's fine. Do I like tools that cost many times more? Heck yes.
jimf

Post by jimf »

Knipex has more detents for adjusting the jaw opening width. It's helpful for grabbing anything slippery.

Plierswrench probably isn't too useful unless you have chrome fixtures you need to keep unmarred - and I'd still want to throw a rag on them to keep them pristine.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

If you're not using it for 10 hours a day 5 days a week then you don't need to waste your money on Knipex, Snap On, MAC, etc.
Mako

Post by Mako »

My father was a pipefitter and all he had were Channel locks that he used all the time. So that’s what I have and have no complaints.
Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

Professionals here in the U.S. all use Channellock.

Knipex is popular with Europhiles and similar.

We really need Cheez-It Guy to weigh in on this thread!
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Just buy both.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:03 pm I have determined that I probably need to buy a few pliers and wrenches.

Basically: an 8” needle nose (but maybe a 6” also); a 10” and 12” tongue and groove (or water pump); a 9.5” lineman’s; and one adjustable crescent wrench.

I think I have it down to two main brands for each item: Channel lock and Knipex.

Channel locks are generally 50% to 25% cheaper than Knipex, but there sure are a lot of fanboys for Knipex on the internet.

So my question is this:

For basic homeowner use (plumbing and electrical), does it really matter which brand I go with?

I get the whole “buy once/cry once” mentality, but in this context, is Knipex really up to twice as good as Channel lock for non-professionals?

Additionally, what would someone use a plier wrench for? Knipex sells one, but I can’t quite figure out it’s use, if you already have a set of box and open end wrenches.

Thank you.
Channel Lock is fine.
Cheap "channel lock" generic pliers are good for throwing away.
Get a set with the square groove jaw shape for nuts n bolts n pipes n slip joints on sink drains.
Like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Channellock-GL ... 260&sr=8-3
These types of pliers do almost everything for plumbing, from tightening water heater flex joint nuts (which is why you don't buy the flat mouth but the notched one) to sink P trap nuts to sink drain strainer basket nuts (huge), etc.

The weakness of nearly all pliers is the grip starts sliding off after awhile. Cheap ones do it right away. Better ones do it after long use.
Get 3 sizes of long nose pliers.
Get 3 sizes of Vice Grips in the Vice Grip brand. Don't get cheap.
Get 3 sizes of quality crecent wrenches. Craftsman is fine. Don't get cheap.
You don't need a linesman pliers unless you are going to do a lot of electrical work where you need to twist stripped ends together before putting wire nuts on, etc.
Get 2 sizes of side cutting pliers like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Diag ... 232&sr=8-2
Two sizes of pipe wrench. You don't need them often but when you need them specifically then you need them.
Aluminum lighter ones like this will work fine. Anything more and you're calling a plumber anyway.
https://smile.amazon.com/DURATECH-Alumi ... 922&sr=8-8
Quality screwdrivers. Cheap one's don't bite the screws and round out as well as destroy the screw head slots. Get good grips on them.
A good solid Stanley utility knife.
A good 16 or 20 oz straight claw hammer
An electrical meter to check breakers, panel, outlets, lights, switches, etc.
Generic voltmeter, or this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
and an electrical current sniffer. (technical term)
https://smile.amazon.com/Fluke-90-1000V ... ljaz10cnVl
The "fluke" brand is trade quality.
and a couple rolls of eletrical tape, and teflon tape.
and a box of disposable gloves
and a good 25 foot regular size stanley tape measure.
Also, a drywall "jab saw" so you can find leaks in your ceiling or drywall when they happen.
https://smile.amazon.com/IRWIN-Tools-Pr ... 243&sr=8-3

Finally, the piece de resistances.
Get a tool box or tool bag, and get this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Dickies-Work-G ... 65&sr=8-41
or this
https://smile.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-50 ... 65&sr=8-12
And, a 5 gallon bucket from Lowes (blue) or Home Depot (orange)

If anything goes wrong, leak, electrical short, etc. You go to your tool box or bag, and either load up what you need in your work belt and bulk items like light bulbs, wall switch, etc, in your 5 gallon bucket along with gloves and rag, etc. Or. . . just throw what you need in the 5 gallon bucket. If it's dark, then flashlight and/or a "trouble light" and a coiled extension cord around your shoulder.
You don't need to carry around your entire tool box of stuff you are not going to use.

Ok. I think I got carried away a bit. But, short of a pickup truck or a loaded up van this should do.
j :D

** However. It is the responsibility of a homeowner to be prepared for anything that might come up and the possibility that a pro might not be available right away.
So. . . . . be sure you have enough tools. . .
(mini shop)
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Both will serve the average homeowner for a lifetime.
Quahog Guy

Post by Quahog Guy »

I used my Klein lineman pliers yesterday. Purchased them ~1975.
Topic Author
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:35 pm Get a set with the square groove jaw shape for nuts n bolts n pipes n slip joints on sink drains.
Like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Channellock-GL ... 260&sr=8-3
These types of pliers do almost everything for plumbing, from tightening water heater flex joint nuts (which is why you don't buy the flat mouth but the notched one) to sink P trap nuts to sink drain strainer basket nuts (huge), etc.
Hmmm….That price seems a bit too low to believe, especially for a set of three.

Plus, the model numbers shown (440 for the 12”, for example), correspond to the straight jaw pliers (see here:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CHANNELLOCK-12 ... lsrc=aw.ds), not the notched jaw ones. (BTW, are square groove jaw ones the same as notched jaw ones, which are the same as V jaw ones?)

But, in any event, I take it that you’d advise not to buy the 440 model shown in the Lowes’ link?
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:35 pm
You don't need a linesman pliers unless you are going to do a lot of electrical work where you need to twist stripped ends together before putting wire nuts on, etc.
I’m probably not going to be doing that, but may need to do some minor electrical work on a Russian motorcycle that I think my wife is inheriting. Anyway, I thought that getting and having them might be useful.
Get 2 sizes of side cutting pliers like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Diag ... 232&sr=8-2
Can you share how or when someone would need to use these? Just to cut wires? If so, wouldn’t a pair of wire strippers and cutters work just fine?
Generic voltmeter, or this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
and an electrical current sniffer. (technical term)
https://smile.amazon.com/Fluke-90-1000V ... ljaz10cnVl
I have no experience with home electricity and it honestly scares me. That voltmeter might be overkill for me, or, at least, I wouldn’t have the foggiest idea how to use it or interpret its results.

Anyway, I have most of the other stuff you listed, but I really appreciate the insight and comments.
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

Knipex 1000%
I used channel locks everyday for 30 year’s, since I bought the knipex a year ago I haven’t used the channel locks again.
Knipex grips better is quicker and gets into tighter spaces. I have the 10”, 7” and 5” all are very useful.
The plier wench is nice to have also it can act almost as a vice grip, makes it easy to flatten out metal or piping.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

adestefan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 pm If you're not using it for 10 hours a day 5 days a week then you don't need to waste your money on Knipex, Snap On, MAC, etc.
I asked my wife to get me an $80 set of Red Bull F1 Racing edition Wera screwdrivers for Christmas a couple years ago and I love it every time pick one up. Some things dont need justification.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Project Farm did a review, just watch that.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Ive only had Knipex and the few I have is effective on every job around the house no matter how removed from plumbing it is. Therefore I wont lament having possibly spent an extra $10 or $20 on one over another
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"So. . . . . be sure you have enough tools. . ."

Nice. But I see you have some unused wall space to hang some more tools. :)

Nice mower too. I have a very similar Toro 50" MX5050 with a Kohler 24 hp. And I also have a Deere X380 48" that I bought for my 85-year-old uncle right before he died. It's good for pulling a little cart and things and stuff. I'm sentimental or I'd sell it. I should sell it, I hate mowing using anything with a steering wheel. Selling it would free up some space for more tools. Or maybe a second boat.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:03 pm For basic homeowner use (plumbing and electrical), does it really matter which brand I go with?

No, they aren't worth the price for folks that may use pliers only very occasionally.

Buy a decent set of tools and they will last you forever. No need to buy top of the line for home use.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
alex345

Post by alex345 »

The Knipex plier wrench with the flat gripping face and the adjustable jaw width (with the button to adjust jaw width) are unlike any product offered by channellock. They do not mar fasteners due the flat clamping face and do not strip or round fasteners due to the camming action. They are a superior product and widely used by bike mechanics. It is one of my favorite tools along with my Wera hex keys.

My opinion is get the plier wrench from Knipex and the others from channel-lock
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

I have never regretted buying any of my Channel Lock pliers.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

[Quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

I’ve been using channel lock, craftsman, and vice-grip my entire life, and none of them have ever let me down. I bought some really cheap stuff once, and the steel actually broke on it though. So you would be fine with either choice.

I’ve never heard of Knipex before, but now I’m strangely tempted to buy something I clearly don’t need……
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Dontridetheindexdown wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 pm Professionals here in the U.S. all use Channellock.

Knipex is popular with Europhiles and similar.

We really need Cheez-It Guy to weigh in on this thread!
I don't claim to be an authority, but I've had good success with Channellock. I'm also a fan of buy once for tools. As others have pointed out, Channellock pliers are made in USA and are covered with a limited lifetime warranty for the original owner. This means something to me. Knipex is good, no doubt, and perhaps as Voltaire2.0 suggested, buy them for the pliers wrench which has no Channellock equivalent if you think you'd make use of the tool in the first place, and buy Channellock for the rest.

From a tool quality standpoint, I don't think you can go wrong with Channellock, Klein, or Knipex. But Channellock is known for their pliers (the very subject of your query), and have a good quality and reasonable price point.

I am not good at separating values from purchasing behaviors. I also work for a US manufacturing company (NOT in the tool space), so am perhaps more sensitive about this than most. Here is my country of origin preferential hierarchy (although each purchase is considered independently on its individual situation and merits):

1. Made in USA (assuming quality is up to snuff)
2. Made in Canada
3. Made in Western-style democracies (Germany, UK, France, Australia, New Zealand, etc.)
4. Made in Mexico
5. Made in high-tech East-Asian democracies (Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore)
6. Made in India
7. Made in Indonesia or Malaysia
. . .
n. Made in China

If everyone buys purely on price, it leads to a cascading multitude of issues which often end up hurting the consumer, the environment, the future mid-grade product selection, market innovation, and more. I'd never recommend to buy anything from Harbor Freight. Good luck finding much of anything there that isn't a cheap Chinese knock-off of a once-innovative product. I don't want this post to become a further diatribe, so I'll stop it there.

Go Channellock with Knipex for extreme specialty.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Consider the Knipex pliers wrench instead of an adjustable wrench. Better in every way.
Topic Author
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Thank you.

Looks like I will go with the Channel Lock tongue and groove pliers and needle nose pliers, maybe get linesman pliers, and a Knipex pliers wrench.

If I get the pliers wrench, is there no need to get this Channel Lock 8” WideAzz Slim Jaw adjustable crescent wrench: https://channellock.com/product/8swcb/ ?
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Don't use a toothed tool on nuts and bolts. Use open end wrenches,box wrenches, sockets and or an adjustable cresent type wrench. It sounds like you need a primer on tools. It's important to use tools safely and as designed. You need to find a tools 101 video.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Knipex is my choice.

But Channellocks are a perfectly good choice and I have several. No question Channellock is a better "bang for the buck".

I just know once I got my first Knipex pliers, I decided it was worth the premium. I also really like how the "Cobra" push button allows adjustment, just a much better method imo. The pliers just seem to grip tighter and there's less slop.

Considering a pair of pliers will be in your toolbox a lifetime (unless you lose them) to me it's worth an extra $15 or so for one that you will use a lot. But some of the bigger Knipex pliers can get pricey.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Millennial wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:23 pm Consider the Knipex pliers wrench instead of an adjustable wrench. Better in every way.
Darn you people….. I literally have zero need for these….. and just ordered them based on 7000 5-star reviews….. including this gem….

Tell your trusty thumb-detecting-nut-rounder to visit your grandpa in h***, and drop a chunk of your rent on these in a 10" and a 7".

You'll be the envy of your job site. Your ex girlfriend from high school will call you and tell you she messed up. Your mother might finally quit her drinking. Well, probably not, but she'll be mighty impressed with how quickly you fixed that plumbing under her sink.

Anyway, this is a beautiful and excessively useful wrench that has launched me into a lifelong relationship with Knipex. If I ever lost this tool, I'd replace it quicker than my tears would dry. It's that perfect.
alex345

Post by alex345 »

Random Poster wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:39 pm If I get the pliers wrench, is there no need to get this Channel Lock 8” WideAzz Slim Jaw adjustable crescent wrench: https://channellock.com/product/8swcb/ ?
The pliers wrench is a better version of this tool, I never used these adjustable wrenches again after getting the knipex. It opens / closes faster and will not round fasteners like that tool.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Normchad wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:20 pm
Millennial wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:23 pm Consider the Knipex pliers wrench instead of an adjustable wrench. Better in every way.
Darn you people….. I literally have zero need for these….. and just ordered them based on 7000 5-star reviews….. including this gem….

Tell your trusty thumb-detecting-nut-rounder to visit your grandpa in h***, and drop a chunk of your rent on these in a 10" and a 7".

You'll be the envy of your job site. Your ex girlfriend from high school will call you and tell you she messed up. Your mother might finally quit her drinking. Well, probably not, but she'll be mighty impressed with how quickly you fixed that plumbing under her sink.

Anyway, this is a beautiful and excessively useful wrench that has launched me into a lifelong relationship with Knipex. If I ever lost this tool, I'd replace it quicker than my tears would dry. It's that perfect.
Unfortunately, social media is a powerful motivator.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
midebo

Post by midebo »

I use my 7 inch Knipex pliers wrench more often than any tool in my toolbox, save maybe my Milwaukee ratcheting screwdriver. It really is unlike anything else and worth the considerable price. I also own a Knipex cobra wrench but use it much less often. In retrospect, a Channellock for half or two thirds the price would have been fine.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

barnaclebob wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:58 pm
adestefan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 pm If you're not using it for 10 hours a day 5 days a week then you don't need to waste your money on Knipex, Snap On, MAC, etc.
I asked my wife to get me an $80 set of Red Bull F1 Racing edition Wera screwdrivers for Christmas a couple years ago and I love it every time pick one up. Some things dont need justification.
Ooohhh nice gift!

I’m someone that has on multiple occasions dropped $400+ on hand planes. I’m assuming if you’re asking about Knipex vs Channelock than you probably don't need the Kinipex.

Now that 7” Knipex pliers wrench. Time to look at the tool budget.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Another point of view of tools.

In the trades, most of us are focused on day to day , all day, utility and reliability and performance of any hand and power tool. Everything is in multiples because of loss, wear, breakage, etc.

For this reason, most hand and power tools in each specific trade are within certain brands and types with a long history of performance and reliability. IE: Electricians have Z for screwdrivers, W for strippers, Y for pliers, etc. Plumbers have . . .and so forth.
And, then there's a certain level of things that are personal and unique. IE: Work/Tool Bags and suspenders, etc.

There is some over lap with homeowner/diy needs and so forth in certain things and products but not always and price/cost is not necessarily more for what a pro uses, just different.

Most tools used by a pro for work are used harder in a week than by a diy/homeowner/handyman in years.
Thus, many hand tools, no matter the quality, are disposable, or likely will be lost long before they wear out.
j🌺
onourway

Post by onourway »

My Knipex tools are awesome, although a huge luxury after years of turning wrenches. Honestly, if you’re at the point in your journey where you are just putting together your toolkit, they are overkill. You’re going to muck things up because you don’t yet have the experience that comes with time. You are the weak link in the chain, not your tools.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

onourway wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:52 pm My Knipex tools are awesome, although a huge luxury after years of turning wrenches. Honestly, if you’re at the point in your journey where you are just putting together your toolkit, they are overkill. You’re going to muck things up because you don’t yet have the experience that comes with time. You are the weak link in the chain, not your tools.
+1
Wow!
Great points!
Well said!

However…..there’s always the “tool therapy” factor…………
a new shiny “Precious” in the job site tool bag…….or rolling tool cabinet… :D :D

j🌺
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Channellock vs. Knipex yields 513,000 results. Enjoy!

https://www.google.com/search?q=channel ... e&ie=UTF-8

Probably doesn't matter which one.

JT
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

A timely update from Project Farm comparing Channel-lock and Knipex (among others). Knipex came out on top :happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDG4gaiRp8
squirm

Post by squirm »

kevinf wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:42 pm A timely update from Project Farm comparing Channel-lock and Knipex (among others). Knipex came out on top :happy

I was about to mention the same thing.
PF is the go to channel.
Topic Author
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

kevinf wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:42 pm A timely update from Project Farm comparing Channel-lock and Knipex (among others). Knipex came out on top :happy

Yes, but the for the money, the Harbor Freight model looks decent too.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Random Poster wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Yes, but the for the money, the Harbor Freight model looks decent too.
So true.
Depending on the tool and use, there's a lot of good stuff at Harbor Freight that, if carefully selected, does indeed "get the job done" for a good price.
And, after all, the end point of any tool, is to "get the job done" well and simply and so forth.

For example: I have a small set of tools (harbor freight) in my warehouse building that serves the purpose there. Oil changes, etc.
But, In the "mini shop", tools are different.
And, though retired, what was on the jobsites and all day carry tool bags, was also different.
rennale

Post by rennale »

Definitely not a tool expert but for a while I got into the habit of searching eBay for vintage Snap-On tools to make up a set of angle wrenches that I needed. From the 1950's they are date coded! No doubt vintage tools of other brands are also available, a lot cheaper than new, and perhaps better quality.

They are wonderful to use. It's hard to describe why. Perhaps it's just some sort of placebo effect.
Not Law

Post by Not Law »

If not used much low price/quality is fine. AND the higher the quality, the more likely a borrower (with permission or not!) will never return it!!!
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I always buy tools by what clothes I'm wearing that day, like...

Lululemon -> Knipex

Carhartt -> Channel Lock

Dickies -> Vise Grips with Sledgehammer

I hope this helps.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I bought a $99 Dewalt bare tool impact wrench a few years ago because I already had a number of 18v batteries. I started looking for a few impact sockets for removing the 6 blades from my two riding mowers and one from the walk behind, and the tires from our 8x10' trash trailer and also from my boat trailer. Not heavy use.

1/2" drive, 10 pieces = $8.97

www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compres ... 67917.html

A cheap 11-pc set at Home Depot is around $30.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

onourway wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:52 pm My Knipex tools are awesome, although a huge luxury after years of turning wrenches. Honestly, if you’re at the point in your journey where you are just putting together your toolkit, they are overkill. You’re going to muck things up because you don’t yet have the experience that comes with time. You are the weak link in the chain, not your tools.
I still prefer purchasing higher quality tools for home use. The tighter tolerances on better tools may help limit damage from poor technique and they don't tend to grow legs and walk off like they do in a shared space either.
$=WxTxI

Post by $=WxTxI »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:03 pm I have determined that I probably need to buy a few pliers and wrenches.

So my question is this:

Thank you.
Knipex pliers wrench.

Never use another adjustable wrench again.

1. It uses a cam/leverage to clamp down. You will not round off fasteners.
2. It "ratchets." You don't need to remove tool from the nut like with an adjustable.
3. Jaw opening is considerably larger than similar size adjustable wrench.

They really are that good. :sharebeer
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

In watching multiple YouTube videos about pliers and the like, I ran across these two that introduced me to a total of 4 varieties of pliers I didn't formerly know about. Sorry in advance to those tempted to add to their tool hoards.

https://youtu.be/0cQcFsb_5Jc
https://youtu.be/MPy0JzpZuvY
Mako

Post by Mako »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:30 pm So true.
Depending on the tool and use, there's a lot of good stuff at Harbor Freight that, if carefully selected, does indeed "get the job done" for a good price.
And, after all, the end point of any tool, is to "get the job done" well and simply and so forth.

For example: I have a small set of tools (harbor freight) in my warehouse building that serves the purpose there. Oil changes, etc.
And, though retired, what was on the jobsites and all day carry tool bags, was also different.
This is true. I’m generally NOT a fan of cheap over quality, but honestly there’s a lot of tools that I will buy only once for a specific purpose and will probably not need again, and in that case HF is usually sufficient. If I’m probably using something 5 times it doesn’t matter much. If I need something to still be good on the 30th time that’s different than needing it to be good like twice.

Wrenches and screwdrivers for example, even the least DIY homeowner you’re probably going to use enough times in your life, might as well step above the minimum.
Last edited by Mako on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:47 pm In watching multiple YouTube videos about pliers and the like, I ran across these two that introduced me to a total of 4 varieties of pliers I didn't formerly know about. Sorry in advance to those tempted to add to their tool hoards.

https://youtu.be/0cQcFsb_5Jc
https://youtu.be/MPy0JzpZuvY
This is terrible………
Now….I gotta have jewelers pliers for bending wire into loops and screw pliers for fixing typewriters.
Drat!!!!! :oops:

Thanks for the cool video links!
j🌺
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Mako wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:59 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:30 pm So true.

This is true. I’m generally NOT a fan of cheap over quality, but honestly there’s a lot of tools that I will buy only once for a specific purpose and will probably not need again, and in that case HF is usually sufficient. If I’m probably using something 5 times it doesn’t matter much. If I need something to still be good on the 30th time that’s different than needing it to be good like twice.

Wrenches and screwdrivers for example, even the least DIY homeowner you’re probably going to use enough times in your life, might as well step above the minimum.
Yes yes.
Recently
“Downspout crimping pliers.”
For a large project of 15 downspouts and fittings that will pay for itself if used just for this project.

I did not know there was such a pliers.
Comes in 3 or 5 blade each for a different purpose.
j🌺