Need to buy new car tomorrow!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

Need to buy new car tomorrow!

Post by miamivice »

My spouse was involved in a crash - no injuries - but totalled her vehicle. We would like to buy a new one, or new to us one, tomorrow. I understand that prices are high, inventory is limited, etc.

What is the best strategy for buying a new, or new to us, vehicle tomorrow?

Thanks!
bligh

Re: Need to buy new car tomorrow!

Post by bligh »

In my experience - Carmax.

You wont get ripped off (fixed prices) and at least back when I used them they had a 48 hour (or thereabouts) no questions asked return policy that I made use of and can attest to (had buyers remorse, so returned a ~40K+ car).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

miamivice wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm My spouse was involved in a crash - no injuries - but totalled her vehicle. We would like to buy a new one, or new to us one, tomorrow. I understand that prices are high, inventory is limited, etc.

Thanks!
Very glad she is okay!
But give her time to make *certain* she has no injuries. Some injuries (e.g., whiplash) can show up a bit later.

Do you really need to buy it tomorrow, in a rush, after an emotional/physical experience like a crash?
Can she rent one for a few days to give you time to think about what she wants, and where there are some of the right trim level, etc.?
Does your insurance cover rentals?
And if it wasn't her fault, that rental should be paid by the driver's insurer, and for "enough time to allow her to find a car".
It another driver was at fault, are you going through your own insurer?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

In this tight market, I would consider using a car buying service such as the ones from Costco, SamsClub or whatever club or bank or credit union you're associated with. And for disclosure, I haven't used one lately so I'm not sure how good a deal they're offering now but a buying service could be the rope you need in a storm. An alternative might be for the two of you to share a car (if possible or practical) until the tight auto market loosens up. Good luck.
kidshrink

Post by kidshrink »

I would never impulsively purchase a car.

Get a long term rental and take the time to purchase a car. Expect to pay MSRP.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

You don’t need a new car tomorrow. You need a rental for a few weeks.

JT
hudson

Post by hudson »

miamivice wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm My spouse was involved in a crash - no injuries - but totalled her vehicle. We would like to buy a new one, or new to us one, tomorrow. I understand that prices are high, inventory is limited, etc.

Thanks!
I would determine what car works for your spouse....tonight.
You probably want to test drive....maybe first call some dealers and see what they've got.
I wouldn't email, because you want an answer pronto. I would call and establish that you are a serious buyer that's going to buy within say 24 hours. Write down the name and best contact info for the salesperson; ask them what hours they are working; maybe ask for a backup person in case they are at lunch?
If they have what you want, ask for the out the door price.
Call a few other dealers and see if they have a better choice; they probably won't have a better price, but you won't know until you ask.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Thanks!
I went through this with a 5 year old car in 2019: It was totaled due to someone rear-ending me on the interstate and not my fault. I knew I had to get a new car. BUT: my insurance paid for 30 days of a rental so I had some time to do some research and shop around. Are you sure you can't get a paid rental? Heck, I would even pay for a rental myself instead of rushing into buying a new car within 24 hours :shock:
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I would go shopping tomorrow and if there wasn't a car I liked, I would start looking into the rental. Start with CarMax and the dealers of any cars you like.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Uber and Lyft are your friends.
Take your time. Buying a car is a big decision
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Agree with the rental in normal times, but finding one now might be tough or very expensive.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Why not a rental?
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

kidshrink wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:49 pm I would never impulsively purchase a car.

Get a long term rental and take the time to purchase a car. Expect to pay MSRP.
This is spot on.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

miamivice wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm What is the best strategy for buying a new, or new to us, vehicle tomorrow?
I would go to your nearest Subaru dealer and see what's on the lot.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:13 pm Agree with the rental in normal times, but finding one now might be tough or very expensive.
I agree with this - that it might not be practical now to pay yourself for a rental for very long - and would say it would also matter if insurance will pay for a rental for a certain time.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

What brands do you like and have owned before?

You must have some place to start.

Just expect to pay more.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Be prepared to see cars listed on dealer websites that, when you stop by, turn out to have been sold. At some dealers inventories are so low that dealers don't want to show a mere 5-10 new cars available because you might not even come in. They just drag their feet removing sold cars from the site so you think the inventory is larger than it is, hoping it might get you to come in. Or locations owned by the same company might list the same cars on more than one site.

When dealers are able to tack on "additional dealer markup" of many thousands of dollars on new cars just because of demand, and still sell them, it's a seller's market.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You are going to end up with a car no one wants, like a Mazda or a BMW.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Rent a car until you sort things out. Sounds like your rushing.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

If you know the car, ask for bids from dealers in your area. Sent out emails to the closest 20 dealers for an OTD price. I wouldn't waste money renting if you already know what you want. I've noticed the local Honda Dealer had quite a few Civics in that puke gray color.
cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

wilked wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:02 pm Why not a rental?
Car rental companies sold large portions of their fleets. I recently tried to rent a car for a trip. I could not find one other than an cargo van within any companies within 25 miles of my home in a major metro area. The only one I found that had cars was at the airport 50 miles away. A Toyota Corolla was $600/week before tax.

Not saying I wouldn't rent a car for a week to look around, but I also wouldn't want to rent a car for month.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

This your chance
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
scienceguy

Post by scienceguy »

Something similar happened to me 14 years ago (tree fell on car in driveway) and I went to our local Honda dealership in the next day or two and said "sell me the cheapest CRV you have on the lot." The salesman, who we know and love, found me one that they hadn't added the dealer add ons yet and I drove it home. Sitting in the driveway right now - best car I have ever owned.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

The same thing happen to us in April. Since there was a second car at home, we could wait a while. However our insurance would have covered 30 days of rental, which you should consider using. I considered several makes after doing a little research online. I went to a local Mazda dealer's internet sales where 12 new CR-5s on the lot were listed ranging from the basic 2WD to top of the line AWD Turbo. Each car had a discounted MSRP price and some incentives I did not qualify for. I called the internet sales rep and asked for one of the incentives; the OTD price was reduced by $1000. I went in the next day and finalized the sale. (I did not buy the extended warranty-service contract even when the "sales manage reduced it from $3000 to $1500.) The car was delivered to my house the next day. If Mazda had not had what I wanted, I would have considered another make via internet sales to cost it out before going to the dealership.

The new car which I selected after DW totaled her Acura RDX has sat in the garage for almost 6 months. This week after eating out, she volunteered to drive it home. It has taken her a while to get behind the wheel, so be kind to your partner. They will tell you when they are ready to drive again.
Watty

Post by Watty »

It is a few months old but a quick search found this article about which cars were still in stock.

https://www.cars.com/articles/inventory ... ly-436731/

You can likely find other articles like this on the internet.

If her car was insured I would consider looking for one that was same year, model, trim, and milage and possibly buying that at some place like CarMax then trying to get the insurance company to reimburse you the same amount. That will likely be a battle that you might not win but it would help support that the fair price for your wife's cars was what you paid.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One more thought. With your wife just having been in a bad accident car safety may be a high priority. Here is a list of the top safety picks.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I agree with others that renting is absolutely the way to go for now. You'll be far better off paying something like $1,000, for instance, to rent for a month or so and find a reasonable deal on a vehicle that your wife really likes than to just take whatever you can find tomorrow.

When you get in a hurry, the salespeople start to salivate.
The Sensible Steward
cogito

Post by cogito »

bligh wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:42 pm In my experience - Carmax.

You wont get ripped off (fixed prices) and at least back when I used them they had a 48 hour (or thereabouts) no questions asked return policy that I made use of and can attest to (had buyers remorse, so returned a ~40K+ car).
+1

If it has to be tomorrow, go to Carmax and buy your model/year/price-range and move on with life. You'll likely have the least stressful and financially dangerous experience with this option.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:41 pm I agree with others that renting is absolutely the way to go for now. You'll be far better off paying something like $1,000, for instance, to rent for a month or so and find a reasonable deal on a vehicle that your wife really likes than to just take whatever you can find tomorrow.

If you rent for a month you won't be able to use most consumer credit cards for coverage. Possibly business cards or the Amex fixed-price supplement would work.

I would say not to necessarily rush, but as I experienced personally, sometimes if you see a car you might want and think about it for an hour, the vehicle may be gone by the time you decide to buy. I don't think the Carmax salespeople salivate much from my experience.
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

I just did a ton of research and I too, came up with a couple cars for reliability and safety and mpg: Subaru Forester or Outback, Kia Sorento, Toyota Highlander. Don't forget to go to the IHIS website to check for the safety of each car. It is amazing how the drivers side is often times safer than the passenger. Love my Forester AND my Sorento.

https://www.iihs.org/
denovo

Post by denovo »

Thanks!

No you don't. You cant rent a car.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r »

If she was satisfied with the car that was totaled, the only vehicle I would buy on one days notice would be the same brand/model. Maybe one higher trim level and a different color so emotionally it doesn’t feel like “the same car.”
namajones

Post by namajones »

bligh wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:42 pm In my experience - Carmax.

+1
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
student

Post by student »

In my area, there are plenty of deals on certain models such as Buick Encore.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I would search/find an acceptable vehicle from a private seller ASAP. Uber can fill in the gap until you find one.

I would avoid Carmax. A "haggle-free" price is a sure-fire way to get ripped off.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I recommend a very quick Buick purchase, cash, as-is, with a post purchase inspection...

https://youtu.be/YRyKzFVGxu8?t=157
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Gundy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 am I would search/find an acceptable vehicle from a private seller ASAP. Uber can fill in the gap until you find one.

I would avoid Carmax. A "haggle-free" price is a sure-fire way to get ripped off.
Uber is not available in all areas and at all times.

I completely disagree that Carmax or haggle-free dealers are "a sure-fire way to get ripped off." Bogleheads tend to define "rip-off" differently than the rest of the world: paying an expense ratio of .1% vs. .03%, or failing to get the last possible $400 discount on a $50k car, even if it takes them weeks to negotiate that deal (and maybe end up without a car at all, especially now vs. past times.)
Candor

Post by Candor »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:45 am
Gundy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 am I would search/find an acceptable vehicle from a private seller ASAP. Uber can fill in the gap until you find one.

Uber is not available in all areas and at all times.

I completely disagree that Carmax or haggle-free dealers are "a sure-fire way to get ripped off." Bogleheads tend to define "rip-off" differently than the rest of the world: paying an expense ratio of .1% vs. .03%, or failing to get the last possible $400 discount on a $50k car, even if it takes them weeks to negotiate that deal (and maybe end up without a car at all, especially now vs. past times.)
Plenty of people are not good negotiators and despise the process and many would come out with a worse deal than if they went to Carmax. Granted, people who put in some effort and research, are good negotiators and maybe even enjoy the dance will likely come out ahead. Carmax didn't become the largest used car dealer in the US by far by being rip-off artists. I have never purchased from Carmax but they offer a service at a reasonable price that some people are more comfortable with.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Complete agree with others who are correct in saying you don’t need a car today or tomorrow. Figure out a rental and give yourself some time.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Rental cars can be a tough find. For example I thought I would need a rental for a car repair and spoke with the dealership. They said to be sure of getting a rental from Enterprise I should give them at least a week's notice. I think some people here don't realize the new realities in life although YMMV.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:58 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:41 pm I agree with others that renting is absolutely the way to go for now. You'll be far better off paying something like $1,000, for instance, to rent for a month or so and find a reasonable deal on a vehicle that your wife really likes than to just take whatever you can find tomorrow.

If you rent for a month you won't be able to use most consumer credit cards for coverage. Possibly business cards or the Amex fixed-price supplement would work.

I would say not to necessarily rush, but as I experienced personally, sometimes if you see a car you might want and think about it for an hour, the vehicle may be gone by the time you decide to buy. I don't think the Carmax salespeople salivate much from my experience.
The OP already has auto insurance, and it may extend to a rental.

Good point about Carmax at least, but the OP may not be able to find the desired vehicle there.

I've seen few people find a great deal on a vehicle when they started the process with 'I have to buy something today'.
The Sensible Steward
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Good point about Carmax at least, but the OP may not be able to find the desired vehicle there.

I've seen few people find a great deal on a vehicle when they started the process with 'I have to buy something today'.
Doesn't one of the CarMax-type companies offer a 7-day trial, no questions asked return? Do they refund money, or must you apply that to another car of theirs?
If refund, then... that's a one week free loaner (but they can't really do this can they, or everyone would be doing this!). If apply to other car, at least you'd get some breathing room/time to find the *right* car.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 pm
miamivice wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm What is the best strategy for buying a new, or new to us, vehicle tomorrow?
I would go to your nearest Subaru dealer and see what's on the lot.
I second the vote of confidence in Subarus, but the idea of renting a car to have some time to breathe sounds better.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Carvana.com.

Don't even contemplate visiting a dealership--they're financial sewers.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Tomorrow is yesterday.

OP, what car did you purchase?
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Thanks!
Your spouse should not drive a car right after a traumatic accident, at least not yet. Buying a new car is the last thing you want to do tomorrow.

Find alternatives. You can drive your spouse. Or using uber…
Time is the ultimate currency.
wilked

Post by wilked »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:20 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Doesn't one of the CarMax-type companies offer a 7-day trial, no questions asked return? Do they refund money, or must you apply that to another car of theirs?
If refund, then... that's a one week free loaner (but they can't really do this can they, or everyone would be doing this!). If apply to other car, at least you'd get some breathing room/time to find the *right* car.

RM
Too much complication I think.... Just get a rental for a month, you'll get that back in savings by taking your time finding the right car at the right price
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

My daughter totalled her car in August, she was not hurt. My wife and I looked and looked for a suitable car, we finally found a local one-owner at the local Toyota dealer, Toyota Certified with 40k miles. Regarding the price, the dealer said, "Take it or leave it". I figure we paid $ 1,000 to $ 2,000 more than we would normally, but, she needed a car. Good luck with your purchase.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

What did you get?