Cost to Asphalt a Driveway?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fordguy88

Cost to Asphalt a Driveway?

Post by Fordguy88 »

I know this may be highly subjective to regions of the country, but I think it's still productive to ask to get a general understanding of how much it could cost to asphalt our 1,000' gravel driveway.

We live in WI, about an hour North of Madison/Milwaukee. Could anyone from the upper midwest comment what it has recently cost them to have Asphalt put down and how much/sq. foot it cost?

I will call local companies here if needed, but this is just to get a feel if our budget is within the ballpark it needs to be.

Thanks,
Fordguy88
Mike Scott

Re: Cost to Asphalt a Driveway?

Post by Mike Scott »

Local quotes are the only thing that matter. For 1000' drive it's going to be a big number.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

A lot depends on the prep not just the 2 inches of asphalt on top.
Work to level and grade the existing.
Fill x amount with AB Spec and compact to 99%
Etc.

So, one person's 1000 foot driveway is not another person's.

Is this just to repave an existing?
Is it to pave over an existing gravel driveway (then it has to be prepped and maybe filled and compacted?
How wide? Everyone has a driveway of different widths.
To what spec? Does it have to carry the load of a full size concrete truck?
Etc.

1000 feet is 333.3 yards is a PGA Touring Pro long drive. That is far.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Fordguy88

Post by Fordguy88 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:10 pm A lot depends on the prep not just the 2 inches of asphalt on top.
Etc.

Is it to pave over an existing gravel driveway (then it has to be prepped and maybe filled and compacted?
Etc.

The current driveway is gravel and has been gravel for about 40 years. It has differing thicknesses of base but is very compacted due to its age and is relatively smooth. There are no pot holes/low spots etc. It is approximately 10' wide for about 800' until it opens up wider as you approach the house. It would be subjected to car/minivan/pick-up truck traffic for its life, no heavy machinery.

Anyone know what amount of gravel base you need to have put down under the asphalt first?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mike Scott wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:00 pm Local quotes are the only thing that matter. For 1000' drive it's going to be a big number.
in 2015 we had a quote of $10.5K for blacktop of our 200 foot driveway.

I really didn't want the look of blacktop so we went with tar and chip which provides most of the benefits of blacktop and still has the informal look of gravel. It was about $7K to do this over our existing gravel.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Fordguy88 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:58 am I will call local companies here if needed, but this is just to get a feel if our budget is within the ballpark it needs to be.
You will certainly have to call local companies.
Figure on the order of $8-15/sq foot.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Fordguy88 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:16 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:10 pm A lot depends on the prep not just the 2 inches of asphalt on top.
Etc.

Etc.

The current driveway is gravel and has been gravel for about 40 years. It has differing thicknesses of base but is very compacted due to its age and is relatively smooth. There are no pot holes/low spots etc. It is approximately 10' wide for about 800' until it opens up wider as you approach the house. It would be subjected to car/minivan/pick-up truck traffic for its life, no heavy machinery.

Anyone know what amount of gravel base you need to have put down under the asphalt first?
Calc your square footage per 2-4 inches of compacted AB Spec.
AB Spec is what is used as the base on the highways and interstates. It is washed, has not dirt in the particulates, and has lime added. In AZ it goes for 2-250 plus 2-250 delivery for a 20 ton 6 by truck. (about .66 yards/ton) but depends on moisture.

The compacted base should extend beyond the edge of the AC so keep the edge stable. You can also ask to have the edges thickened. So, if you want a 10' wide AC to drive on, then extend the base by another 1-2 feet each side depending on your local ground conditions, soil expansion, rain/snow, etc.
The base is as important as the top AC as AC has not strength on its own.

cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

Tens of thousands of dollars. We are having our 300 foot (3500 sq ft) driveway repaved and some estimates for that were $10K. I was told a new driveway would cost $20K. So you are looking at a lot. Maybe consider keeping the grave.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

[quote=jebmke post_id=6276144 time=1634318203

I really didn't want the look of blacktop so we went with tar and chip which provides most of the benefits of blacktop and still has the informal look of gravel. It was about $7K to do this over our existing gravel.
[/quote]

I'm familiar with tar and chip over old blacktop, but I've never heard of it on a gravel driveway. How is it holding up? Is it hard and firm? How was the prep and installation?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

deanbrew wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:28 pm [quote=jebmke post_id=6276144 time=1634318203

I'm familiar with tar and chip over old blacktop, but I've never heard of it on a gravel driveway. How is it holding up? Is it hard and firm? How was the prep and installation?
[/quote]
Chip and seal will only do as well as the prep and the quality of the base, and stability of the soil bellow.
If not done well, owners will forever be patching and redoing.
However, in the long run, comparitively, spec done AC will outperform chip and seal. OTOH, chip n seal is a good way to keep a sound A/C job nice as it ages.
Much depends on the site conditions. Everywhere is different. Great solid soil or expansive, snow/ice vs dry, etc.
j
:D

OP: call several reputable licensed paving contractors and have them inspect the site and give estimates.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

We just had our driveway redone. They tore out the old one, and put now new asphalt. About 4,000 sq ft was removed, and 3300 sq ft paved. Cost was $10K. Not sure how existing tear out compares to building a new base as far as cost goes, since our base was fine.

Consider some buried pipes at various points to allow cross over of power, water, and/or low voltage (invisible fence, gate controls). I put in one for the dog fence and also buried some drain pipes. Should have done one to allow gate controls... They budgeted a little bit of time for extra compacting where the pipes were installed.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

deanbrew wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:28 pm [quote=jebmke post_id=6276144 time=1634318203

[/quote]

Holding up well, although a lot of the loose chip has been blown away over the years. In a year or so I’ll probably have them do another coat.

I was out of town when they were here so I only saw the finished product. I think they rolled the driveway and then did two layers of tar and chip, rolling each time.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I had a new asphalt driveway put in...there are multiple variables: the base, the amount of asphalt and then the type of asphalt. Only a reputable company can tell if they will want to scrape away the existing gravel. I say that since the reputable companies will guarantee their work for a year, possibly more. Keep in mind that an asphalt driveway may require/may not - there is a debate about it, sealing every few years.

I had 4" of asphalt added that was the same as that used on roads since at some point, someone will drive equipment up there I'm sure. It was roughly $3 per square foot. The company lost money on the job since they had counted on using the existing base, but when they scraped off the existing driveway, it was just put on dirt. They had to send back the hot asphalt trucks, bring in trucks of gravel, compact it, wait two months for settlement and then come back. They honored their existing contract price. It wasn't the cheapest initial bid. Go with quality, not price.

You might want to look at who is paving lots like shopping centers - that's how I found my contractor - they did an excellent job and I don't say that too often.

Since they added gravel and a lot of asphalt, the driveway is above ground level. I wish I had installed a brick border since it tapers down and is weak at some points. We have open ditches so I had the drainage pipes that go under the driveway replaced. I paid for the pipes, the county did the installation work for free.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
iceport

Post by iceport »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:36 pm
deanbrew wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:28 pm
jebmke wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:16 pm

Chip and seal will only do as well as the prep and the quality of the base, and stability of the soil bellow.
If not done well, owners will forever be patching and redoing.
However, in the long run, comparitively, spec done AC will outperform chip and seal. OTOH, chip n seal is a good way to keep a sound A/C job nice as it ages.
Much depends on the site conditions. Everywhere is different. Great solid soil or expansive, snow/ice vs dry, etc.
j
:D

OP: call several reputable licensed paving contractors and have them inspect the site and give estimates.
Good general info here. And it's true that a chip seal is a great way to extend the life of asphalt concrete.

In fact, I consider that to be an outstanding combination, even for new construction: a chip seal over brand new asphalt concrete. The chip seal provides great protection for the new pavement. It helps seal out water; it's somewhat self-healing, in that any minor cracks that open up in cool weather will close up when the asphalt in the chip seal softens in the summer heat; and it protects the new pavement below from environmental degradation (UV radiation, drying, shrinking, etc.). Usually, there are color options available, also, and a lighter color could help to reduce excessive heat build-up on an otherwise black surface. It's not a very expensive additional cost.

I need a new driveway, and I am leaning towards having a chip seal placed immediately over the new asphalt concrete. The only concern is making sure the aggregate stays put, and is not scraped off by snow blowing and plowing.

The OP really should contact several reputable paving contractors, and compare their recommendations. The trouble is, they often try to sell you the treatments that either a) they good at or are able to do with the equipment they have, or b) make them the most money for their effort.

No estimate is possible without a pavement design, and no design is possible without knowing the specific site conditions. Because the existing driveway is gravel, it should be easy to dig down a couple of feet in a few places to identify what the base material is.

For 1000' of paving (nearly a couple of tenths of a mile!), it might even be worth your while to hire an engineer just for a simple pavement design. (I don't mean drawing up a set of plans, just specifying the pavement design.) That will help to ensure a durable treatment tailored appropriately to the specific site conditions. Might be worth the cost for the peace of mind when installing a very expensive driveway.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

dupe post
Last edited by Padlin on Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards | Bob
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

A coworker had 600' done, it's too long ago for the price to matter, but the contractor said at 600' it's called a road, not a driveway.

My son just paid $7k for 120', but I think the only place you are going to get a decent idea is from your local contractor.
Regards | Bob
Carlton

Post by Carlton »

Perhaps consider asphalt millings? A skilled dump truck operator can tailgate the millings (drive truck with tailgate partially open while dumping) fairly evenly. For a driveway that long a front end loader with box grader would be helpful to even out the surface. Best job would be to finish and thoroughly compact with a roller. The hotter the weather, the better. You would need about 4" of millings, so it's still a lot of delivered loads!

https://youtu.be/oOKqmI2YF7s
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Professional Engineer here with almost 50 years of experience with a state Highway agency and a private contractor. 30+ years experience specifically with hot mix asphalt construction, rehabilitation, maintenance, and preservation. Lots of advice given here, some good, some not so good. There are way too many variables to adequately answer your question on what your costs may be, but you are probably in the $30,000 to $40,000 range. If you are spending that kind of money, you should retain a Professional Engineer to recommend a range of alternatives with cost estimates for each. The engineer would not be pushing a certain product as a contractor might and they would give you workable options. I am estimating 11,000 sf from your post. If you just were to install 2 inches of hot mix asphalt, you’re looking at 140 tons. I’m guesstimating $125 to $150 per ton for local driveway contractors. I could be all wet here, depending on how busy they are. So, $17,500 to $21,000 just for the hot mix asphalt. Add another 50% for subbase material and another 20% for incidentals.
There are a lot of things to consider: do you want a smooth hot mix asphalt surface or do you want a chip seal surface? Are you aware that the gravel that is suitable for a gravel road (driveway) is unsuitable for a subbase for hot mix asphalt pavement? (too many fines) Are you aware that chip seals are problematic in heavily shaded areas? If the existing gravel is to be used as a subbase, it can be modified by adding some stone to reduce the final fine content. Did you know that millings can be used, but they need a surface sealing layer because, when compacted, they end up with 10 to 15% air voids? Left unsealed, the water would strip the asphalt from the millings quickly. Did you know that a chip seal over gravel can work, but, again, the gravel would need to be modified and a double or triple chip seal would be needed. Additionally, chip seals need to be completed very early in the season to allow traffic to set the stone in its final position. That’s problematic with the low traffic of a driveway. Chip seals also need to be redone every 6 to 8 years.
An experienced engineer would know all of this. A half hour site visit and a few hours in their office would produce a few viable options with reasonable costs estimates for each - and maybe even a few recommendations for competent contractors. If the engineer costs more than $2000, I would be surprised.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

cabfranc wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:24 pm Tens of thousands of dollars. We are having our 300 foot (3500 sq ft) driveway repaved and some estimates for that were $10K. I was told a new driveway would cost $20K. So you are looking at a lot. Maybe consider keeping the grave.
Yup, I got quoted $6 square foot back in late august, put down 4-6 inches of quarry process 3/4 inch stone, compact it, then 3 inches of compacted hot asphalt. My driveway is 2,000 square foot.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

eddot98 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:52 pm Professional Engineer here with almost 50 years of experience with a state Highway agency and a private contractor....
Thanks for your input on this thread. I have a driveway that is ~800 ft. long, relatively steep, and heavily shaded. It was put in around 45 years ago and has since been once, badly, repaved over. It's in tough condition now with some spots worn away through the second coating and in other areas all the way through the original layer. Also, it has never been truly level, either. I believe to correct all of the issues that I would need to tear it out and start over - a huge job, with a huge expense. A looming factor in this is that my wife and I are planning to sell the house in a few years and downsize into retirement. So, my question/dilemma is what to do? Is there a way, short of tearing the entire driveway up and starting over to repair/repave what currently exists? Or, will I need to bite the bullet and spend a mini fortune?

Thank you for your help on this matter.

Sincerely,

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

TnGuy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:21 pm
eddot98 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:52 pm Professional Engineer here with almost 50 years of experience with a state Highway agency and a private contractor....
Thanks for your input on this thread. I have a driveway that is ~800 ft. long, relatively steep, and heavily shaded. It was put in around 45 years ago and has since been once, badly, repaved over. It's in tough condition now with some spots worn away through the second coating and in other areas all the way through the original layer. Also, it has never been truly level, either. I believe to correct all of the issues that I would need to tear it out and start over - a huge job, with a huge expense. A looming factor in this is that my wife and I are planning to sell the house in a few years and downsize into retirement. So, my question/dilemma is what to do? Is there a way, short of tearing the entire driveway up and starting over to repair/repave what currently exists? Or, will I need to bite the bullet and spend a mini fortune?

Thank you for your help on this matter.

Sincerely,

David
At 45 years old with one poorly constructed overlay, you have certainly gotten your money’s worth. Not being able to inspect it, I would just be shooting in the dark. Some questions to ask: Are the issues due to the age of the hot mix asphalt or are there base failures? Is the driveway properly pitched to allow water to run off? Does water collect on the driveway?
Whether you could patch and level the driveway with new hot mix asphalt and overlay it depends on the condition of the base and the existing hot mix asphalt. A new overlay on top of a poor base will not last.
If the base is in good shape, you should analyze what portion of the driveway could be spot repaired, by removing the old overlay and patching with new hot mix asphalt. If that portion is less than 25% or so, go ahead with the patching. Then, you could true and level the areas where the existing hot mix asphalt has worn away. Truing and leveling could also be used to correct the profile of the driveway as you said that it has never been level. Finally, a single course overlay of 2 inches should be placed over the whole driveway.
I have seen this process used lots of times on state and municipal roads. These agencies do not have the money nor will the public accept tearing out miles of deficient roads to reconstruct them properly. So, they repair the failed areas, true and level the areas with poor crown and profile, patch potholes, and add an overlay to smooth the road and protect the integrity of the base.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pmAre the issues due to the age of the hot mix asphalt or are there base failures?

The second top coating was done poorly - and in most places was put on an inch or less thick. So, there are breakthrough and wear in places.

Is the driveway properly pitched to allow water to run off?

Yes. Water runoff is not an issue or concern.

Does water collect on the driveway?

No, it has proper drainage.

If the base is in good shape, you should analyze what portion of the driveway could be spot repaired, by removing the old overlay and patching with new hot mix asphalt.

My guess would be that, overall, the base is in good condition. But, given that the second top coating was put on too thinly, I don't think that spot patching would take care of the overall issues.

Finally, a single course overlay of 2 inches should be placed over the whole driveway.

Given that the current driveway has been top coated (albeit, badly) once, already, is it feasible to think that another 2" could be applied?

Thanks for your reply and help.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

TnGuy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:30 pm
eddot98 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pmAre the issues due to the age of the hot mix asphalt or are there base failures?

The second top coating was done poorly - and in most places was put on an inch or less thick. So, there are breakthrough and wear in places..

That’s unfortunate. Unless it is crumbling, it can be overlaid.

Is the driveway properly pitched to allow water to run off?

Yes. Water runoff is not an issue or concern..

Good.

Does water collect on the driveway?

No, it has proper drainage..

Also, good.

If the base is in good shape, you should analyze what portion of the driveway could be spot repaired, by removing the old overlay and patching with new hot mix asphalt.

My guess would be that, overall, the base is in good condition. But, given that the second top coating was put on too thinly, I don't think that spot patching would take care of the overall issues..

Why not? The spot patching would be to smooth the surface for the overlay.

Finally, a single course overlay of 2 inches should be placed over the whole driveway.

Given that the current driveway has been top coated (albeit, badly) once, already, is it feasible to think that another 2" could be applied?

Yes. I have seen secondary roads that have been overlaid multiple times. This was before milling became cost effective. I would use a dense graded binder hot mix asphalt. It has a little more structural strength than a top course, but still gives a tight surface texture.

Thanks for your reply and help.

David
My comments are after your bold text. On my iPhone and I can’t figure out how to change the color of text.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Thanks for all the advice on not having a long driveway.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Fordguy88 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:58 am We live in WI, about an hour North of Madison/Milwaukee.
Asphalt generally doesn't have the life expectancy of concrete when in northern climates. I've seen them replaced in as little as 10 years compared to say 50 years with concrete. But it does melt snow faster and is much cheaper so it does have benefits. Be sure when you get your quote, that it is in your budget to replace periodically, especially if you like a pristine looking driveway.
mancich

Post by mancich »

It is going to be a lot. As others have said, local estimates are all that really matter, and with the cost of everything having gone up over the last 18 months, expect it to be painful. We did ours in July of last year, and it was $10,500. Driveway is about 125' long, no incline, one car width at bottom opening up to 3 car-widths at top. This involved ripping out the old asphalt, putting down a new base, and then putting down new asphalt. We're in upstate NY.