Honda CRV-EXL 2022 model versus Toyota SUV RAV 2022 model

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rramaswa

Honda CRV-EXL 2022 model versus Toyota SUV RAV 2022 model

Post by rramaswa »

Hi Bogleheads,
I have put aside deposit for HONDA CRV-EXL 2022 model
I have been a Honda driver all my life.
I have retired in 2021 a 61 year old female.
I am looking for a SUV which has a good height and excellent safety and reliability track record. Of course need to feel comfort while driving long distance.
I need car asap. There is a chip supply issue and therefore finding a optimal car has been a real challenge. All dealers are adding extra $2k-3K on the MSRP price tag these days . I found a dealer who is transparent and professional looks like not adding additional amounts on the price tag

Here are my numbers:

MSRP=34775
sales tax (NJ)=2277.34
tire tax=5
documentation fee=394
title fee=350
new plate fee=32
notary fee=15
online registration =5.77
total=$37854.11

I saw a review online comparing CRV versus RAV4

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2022-toyot ... onda-cr-v/

I am hoping I am making the right decision with shortage of cars and price tag that can not exceed 40k and also I know Honda cars and my service dealer is 5 minutes walking distance

Any comments will ease my last minute cold feet.
Thanks for this forum for all the help in the past.
Flyer24

Re: Honda CRV-EXL 2022 model versus Toyota SUV RAV 2022 model

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

You won't go wrong with either the Honda or the Toyota. Its just a question of paying the premium price dealers currently want. If you really need a car you may have to pay the dealer's price even though it may be a bit high and not negotiable.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

From a vehicle selection standpoint, you literally cannot make a poor choice here. It is not an accident that (excluding full-size pickups) the Rav4 is the #1 selling vehicle in the US, and the CR-V right behind it at #2. They are both excellent, reliable transportation appliances that clearly meet many people's needs.

That said, the transaction prices will have massive variation by specific dealer, rather than by brand. Perhaps your local Honda dealer are bigger creeps than the local Toyota dealer, or maybe it's the other way around. Choose the one you can get the best overall value on. I would also add the Hyundai Tucson to your shopping list, as it's also excellent, a little more up-to-date than its Japanese competitors, and Hyundai dealers may not have as much pricing power as Honda and Toyota do.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Go with the Honda.
drk

Post by drk »

That site looks like a content farm, using language like "crushes" to get you onto the site for an article with little information and lots of ads. I certainly wouldn't let that dissuade you from buying the CR-V.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

drk wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:06 am That site looks like a content farm, using language like "crushes" to get you onto the site for an article with little information and lots of ads. I certainly wouldn't let that dissuade you from buying the CR-V.
Yeah, you can find many better sources comparing these two vehicles. Consumer Reports would be one of them but there are many others.

Thing is, they are both very good choices. Right now the CR-V is higher rated, but personally I bought the Rav4 because (1) I have had good experience with Toyotas and (2) I had an unsatisfactory experience with a Honda. But I fully recognize that making decisions based on small numbers is not completely rational.

Ideally sit in and test drive both. Then make a choice recognizing that neither choice is a bad one.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

drk wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:06 am That site looks like a content farm, using language like "crushes" to get you onto the site for an article with little information and lots of ads. I certainly wouldn't let that dissuade you from buying the CR-V.
That is exactly what that site is. Notice it is entirely about specs, with no comments about having driven it.

Start with one of the better known car magazines, or a resource like Consumer Reports. Motortrend as well as Car and Driver both frequently have a panel of writers do test drives and comparisons of most of the cars in a given category. Since the cars are loaned by the manufacturer, they always hedge anything they don't like with things they do like to avoid offending the companies that supply the cars, but they do give details about what they do and don't like and rank their choices.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021 ... st-review/

The CR--V tested above is the 2021 model, but there are no significant differences for the 2022.

If you want to research other options, the Subaru Forester and the Mazda CX-5 are in the same category. However, the CR-V is still a very solid choice if you want to stick with the brand you are familiar with.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Both are fine vehicles, but are priced according to their popularity and availability. You may be able to save money by buying a less popular brand which is not in such high demand, e.g., Alfa Romeo Stelvio, VW Tiguan or Atlas, or a domestic brand. All have their pros and cons, but the most sought-after brands may not offer an attractive value proposition at the moment, whatever their other merits.
mhc

Post by mhc »

This last summer I purchased the CR-V EXL 2021. I love the car. I have only put 200 miles on it, but I really enjoy driving it.

From reading the online forums, if you can get something for around MSRP, you are doing fine.

I am biased toward Honda. We have a 2004 CR-V, 2018 Odyssey, 2019 Civic, and 2021 CR-V.

I'm sure the Rav4 is a fine car too. The CR-Vs tend to be a little more roomy. I like that.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

:sharebeer
mhc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:38 am This last summer I purchased the CR-V EXL 2021. I love the car. I have only put 200 miles on it, but I really enjoy driving it.

From reading the online forums, if you can get something for around MSRP, you are doing fine.

I am biased toward Honda. We have a 2004 CR-V, 2018 Odyssey, 2019 Civic, and 2021 CR-V.

I'm sure the Rav4 is a fine car too. The CR-Vs tend to be a little more roomy. I like that.
I have decided to buy Honda CRV EXL hybrid model.
Although my heart was in electric cars however not ready for it yet given not a confident car driver and dont want to get stuck without a charge
I am forgetful too!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

rramaswa wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:37 amI saw a review online comparing CRV versus RAV4

I am hoping I am making the right decision with shortage of cars and price tag that can not exceed 40k and also I know Honda cars and my service dealer is 5 minutes walking distance

I often laugh when I read car comparison reviews. With the term "crushes" in the title, I just had to read this one. What a hoot! I don't know anything about "motorbiscuit", but they do sound like a fun place to work. I do wonder about their choice of review items.

Interesting that the author's bio doesn't include much of a "car" or "review" background:
"My eclectic career includes marine biology research with whales off the coasts of HI and WA, international travel writing, voice acting in Thailand, environmental education with kids in CA, work with impoverished children in Asia, and writing for a military truck manufacturer. In my free time, I love writing songs and playing the guitar."

I tend to trust Consumer Reports more.

When I intend to purchase a car, I read the reviews, and make note of the differences that might matter to me. Then I see for myself how those differences impact me during test drives. Usually the differences don't matter at all.

Is the difference between say 190 hp and 203 hp significant? Not in my experience
Is the difference between a 7-inch and an 8-inch infotaintment screen significant? Not for me. Sometimes size matters. But in my experience, layout and features matter much more.
Are 11 speakers much better than 8 speakers? Not for me.

Much more important for me are things like visibility and back comfort, and I can only gauge that by actually driving them both.

For me, once I purchase my car, I stop reading silly reviews. I suggest you do the same.

I suspect the car you have chosen will be terrific for you, in spite of what "motorbiscuit" crushes on.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

rramaswa wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 am :sharebeer
mhc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:38 am This last summer I purchased the CR-V EXL 2021. I love the car. I have only put 200 miles on it, but I really enjoy driving it.

I have decided to buy Honda CRV EXL hybrid model.
Although my heart was in electric cars however not ready for it yet given not a confident car driver and dont want to get stuck without a charge
I am forgetful too!
Great choice.

Thanks for the update!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
therealhunter

Post by therealhunter »

Can you please share the name of the dealer?
rramaswa wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:37 am Hi Bogleheads,
I have put aside deposit for HONDA CRV-EXL 2022 model
I have been a Honda driver all my life.
I have retired in 2021 a 61 year old female.
I am looking for a SUV which has a good height and excellent safety and reliability track record. Of course need to feel comfort while driving long distance.
I need car asap. There is a chip supply issue and therefore finding a optimal car has been a real challenge. All dealers are adding extra $2k-3K on the MSRP price tag these days . I found a dealer who is transparent and professional looks like not adding additional amounts on the price tag

Here are my numbers:

MSRP=34775
sales tax (NJ)=2277.34
tire tax=5
documentation fee=394
title fee=350
new plate fee=32
notary fee=15
online registration =5.77
total=$37854.11

I saw a review online comparing CRV versus RAV4

Thanks for this forum for all the help in the past.
nura

Post by nura »

rramaswa wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:37 am
Can you name the dealer who selling at MSRP?
nura

Post by nura »

rramaswa wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 am I have decided to buy Honda CRV EXL hybrid model.
If you are interested in Hybrid, do note that CRV comes with no spare tire and reduced cargo space when compared to ICE counterpart, you do not have these limitations with Rav4 hybrid, the later is more fuel efficient in real-world driving, I get 41-42mpg mixed with Rav4.