Lexus 20k mile service cost comparison

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mmcmonster

Lexus 20k mile service cost comparison

Post by mmcmonster »

Wife has a 2019 Lexus UXh with 20k miles. She was upset at the cost of service (around $400, I believe) at our local Lexus dealership.

She only want to get it serviced at a dealership.

I believe the 20k service includes:
Replace Engine Oil and Filter
Replace Cabin Air Filter
Rotate Tires
Test Battery
Check and Adjust Tire Pressures
Top Off fluids

Is there an easy way to find out how much different dealerships would charge for this? We live in North East PA, if it matters.
ncbill

Re: Lexus 20k mile service cost comparison

Post by ncbill »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:45 am Wife has a 2019 Lexus UXh with 20k miles. She was upset at the cost of service (around $400, I believe) at our local Lexus dealership.

Replace Cabin Air Filter
Rotate Tires
Test Battery
Top Off fluids

Is there an easy way to find out how much different dealerships would charge for this? We live in North East PA, if it matters.
Have you checked prices with the local Toyota dealership instead?

Just read off the list above...don't tell them "20,000 mile service."
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

You need oil change and tire rotation

That is probably all.

As listed that is a total ripoff.

Do the math. Even a $100 oil change and 25 for rotation doesn’t come close to $400

I pay about $70 for oil and rotate at honda.

Cabin filter is easy to replace via You Tube. Learn that one.
Mid-40’s
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
Gill

Post by Gill »

We have two Lexus vehicles. Neither gets near the Lexus dealer except for the free car wash. We use our reliable independent mechanic for all service.
Gill
Last edited by Gill on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Why do you have to take it to a dealer for this special "service"? You could take it anywhere. You could do this yourself even.

JT
wander

Post by wander »

Op, you are wasting money for any of these services at a dealer. The only reason that I bring my car to a dealer is for problems that are still under warranty.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

And this didn't include replacing the engine air filter (not oil filter)? At Valvoline instant oil change all this even if pay their ripoff markups for the filters would cost $200 max

Alternatively Walmart charges $45 for full synthetic oil change and $10 to rotate 4 tires. And free installation of air filters if the filters are bought at Walmart
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I get my Lexus serviced at an independent shop. The service you describe would run about $100.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:45 am Wife has a 2019 Lexus UXh with 20k miles. She was upset at the cost of service (around $400, I believe) at our local Lexus dealership.

Replace Cabin Air Filter
Rotate Tires
Test Battery
Top Off fluids

I use my Lexus dealer for oil changes only, they test the battery and top off fluids as part of it. Cabin air filter is a 5 min job for ANYONE. I bought tire insurance certificates at Discount Tire and get tire rotations free in addition to flat repair and road hazard coverage. No way I’d pay $400 for that list.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

The $400 includes the "free" courtesy loaner car, car wash of your vehicle and beverages in the waiting room. :shock:
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

Replace Cabin Air Filter
Rotate Tires
Test Battery
Top Off fluids

wait what??? just get the oil change at lexus if you want. but you can take it to toyota dealership for oil change also. rotate tires: most reputable tire place can do this pretty cheap. test batteries? what is there to test at 20K miles? cabin air filter: you can youtube it and probably can be done in < 5 min. it cost about $10-$20 for cabin air filter. I am not a very handy person: and I can change cabin air filter. take the savings and pour into VTSAX.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Shouldn’t this be covered under warranty?
wander

Post by wander »

CletusCaddy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:02 am Shouldn’t this be covered under warranty?
No. Unless you buy some packages for free oil change ...
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

wander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 am
CletusCaddy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:02 am Shouldn’t this be covered under warranty?
No. Unless you buy some packages for free oil change ...
I thought all luxury cars came with free maintenance for the first three years
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Another vote for checking with the Toyota dealer. I owned an RX330 for a few years and had all my service except for one minor recall item done by Toyota. The cost was typically around 50% of Lexus but the surroundings in the waiting room weren't quite as cushy and the snacks more basic.

As ncbill suggests, always get a quote for the exact services the manual says you need. If you ask for a XX,XXX mile service the dealer will often add services from their own in-house list in addition to what is prescribed by the manufacturer to increase the price. It's a racket.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Gill

Post by Gill »

CletusCaddy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:23 am
Lexus is two years.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

" I am not a very handy person: and I can change cabin air filter"

The most difficult and time consuming part is removing the junk in the glove box and then replacing the junk. That, and stopping by an auto parts place to get the filter or ordering one from Amazon.

The engine air filter is even easier - no glove box junk to deal with and the light is better in the engine bay.

We bought a 2016 4Runner and Avalon around Thanksgiving of '16. They both came with free yearly oil changes for 4 years at the dealer. When we had to pay for the 5th change my wife took hers to her old independent mechanic who I like a lot. They charged her $65 for 6.4 quarts of synthetic and an oil filter.

I took mine back to the Toyota dealer because I get free state inspections for life, a yearly savings of $20. The 4Runner takes more oil - 6.6 quarts. The oil and filter change cost me $52. It wasn't a special deal either, I asked.
wander

Post by wander »

Gill wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:52 am
CletusCaddy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:23 am
Lexus is two years.
Gill
I searched online and found this from one of Lexus dealer websites: "Every new Lexus comes with the first and second scheduled maintenance complimentary. These services are provided at 6 months/5,000 miles and 12 months/10,000 miles, whichever comes first."

There is a small print: "*Please note that oil changes are performed every 10K miles, except for vehicles using non-synthetic oil, which are performed every 5K miles. See your Warranty and Service guide for details."

If your car uses synthetic oil, first trip (6 month/5,000 miles) to the dealer is wasting of your time since they are not going to do anything on oil.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Gill wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:19 am We have two Lexus vehicles. Neither gets near the Lexus dealer except for the free car wash. We use our reliable independent mechanic for all service.
Gill
Yes Gill.

Once my local Toyota dealer quoted me a price for $400 for rotors and pads on one axle of a Prius, after the other axle was done at 30
K miles due to a safety recall they did not admit and we had to go to Toyota HQ to get it arbitrated. They refunded 1/2 what I paid which was fair.

So Kevin (service desk) at the dealer quoted me $400 for the other axle. I said can you come down any? the Goodyear place down the street quoted much less. Kevin said no $400 and “If they do your Prius brakes it will never feel the same”

I left the dealer. I had one of his Toyota mechanic’s personal numbers that did my highlander timing belt and water pump the previous year. Sadly the mechanic left one of his snap on tools in my engine bay. I called him at home, asked if he moonlighted, and he came and did my Prius brakes for $200 on a weekend in my driveway.

My best 5 pieces of advice for a dealer is the same as a lawyer. Avoid them, avoid them, avoid them, avoid them, and of course avoid them.

Well unless you really need the dealer … like when they did my timing belt. :)

And yes when you really need a lawyer they are worth paying for … at age 60 that has been for a house closing (required in NY), for a will for my late father, and one for my DW and I.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

DIY it, and this is around $55 for my Lexus. 7QTs mobile one advanced 0-20W, Oil Filter, Cabin Air Filter, a pair of disposable gloves. 30 minutes of work, if that, less time than going somewhere, really.

But I do own a 6 ton floor jack already, jack stands, and that stupid Toyota engine filter wrench. There's time to recycle the fluids, but I do bulk runs of those.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

wander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:29 am Op, you are wasting money for any of these services at a dealer. The only reason that I bring my car to a dealer is for problems that are still under warranty.
My Subaru dealer doubles as a Lexus dealer. I only take my car to the dealer for recalls and such. My Subbie was 7 years old on the last (airbag) recall. Before I got out of there, the service writer tried to hot-box me into $800 of additional maintenance. Looks like they brought Lexus principles to the Subaru side.

The items they wanted to do? Brake pads, rotors, cabin air filter, oil change. $800 bucks. And that was over 4 years ago.

The car did not needed any of that service. A year later I did the pads myself. I kept the rotors as is. Cost me about $60.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Tubes wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:29 pm
wander wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:29 am Op, you are wasting money for any of these services at a dealer. The only reason that I bring my car to a dealer is for problems that are still under warranty.
My Subaru dealer doubles as a Lexus dealer. I only take my car to the dealer for recalls and such. My Subbie was 7 years old on the last (airbag) recall. Before I got out of there, the service writer tried to hot-box me into $800 of additional maintenance. Looks like they brought Lexus principles to the Subaru side.

The items they wanted to do? Brake pads, rotors, cabin air filter, oil change. $800 bucks. And that was over 4 years ago.

The car did not needed any of that service. A year later I did the pads myself. I kept the rotors as is. Cost me about $60.
You did the correct thing. "Service writers" or "service advisors," are usually paid on commission, unfortunately. They're not always following the owner's manual, either. (One example is transmission flushes, which they recommend, as opposed to transmission draining and filling, which owner's manuals recommend, along with a filter change.) You can't blame them for trying to make a living, I suppose, but whenever I go to a dealer (for recalls, to buy parts, etc.), I marvel at all the people working in there at the various desks and stations.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves when people transition to all-electric cars. On the one hand, they are simple..2 or 4 electric motors, steering, and brakes, and a whopping big battery. Simple, all around, although probably far more complicated with all the extras (driver assist stuff, parking, etc.). Hopefully some manufacturer will make the VW of electric cars. Just a car and forget the "self-driving" crap.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

valleyrock wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:41 pm
Tubes wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:29 pm

You did the correct thing. "Service writers" or "service advisors," are usually paid on commission, unfortunately. They're not always following the owner's manual, either. (One example is transmission flushes, which they recommend, as opposed to transmission draining and filling, which owner's manuals recommend, along with a filter change.) You can't blame them for trying to make a living, I suppose, but whenever I go to a dealer (for recalls, to buy parts, etc.), I marvel at all the people working in there at the various desks and stations.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves when people transition to all-electric cars. On the one hand, they are simple..2 or 4 electric motors, steering, and brakes, and a whopping big battery. Simple, all around, although probably far more complicated with all the extras (driver assist stuff, parking, etc.). Hopefully some manufacturer will make the VW of electric cars. Just a car and forget the "self-driving" crap.
What was really disappointing about this was the change I saw over the years. I bought my car in 2009 and had the initial few years of service done by the dealer (a different dealer). Around 2014, things started to change, and prices went up dramatically for service like oil changes. They also wanted to pack in all kinds of extra work, most of which were inspections you'd never know if they do or not. So, I started doing most of my own easy maintenance, or I used an independent for the difficult stuff (think timing chain).

When the recall notice came, I decided to try a different dealer, hoping it would be better. As I conveyed, it was worse.

Cars have simply become more reliable. Maintenance intervals have extended. And until last year, customers were squeezing out pretty good deals. So it seems that as an industry, they have really put the pressure on pricing and selling of service.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> She only want to get it serviced at a dealership.

Doesn't matter how much people think using the dealership is a ripoff. Wife wants the dealership.

I suppose OP can call around and see if any dealer will do it for less.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Tubes wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:53 pm So it seems that as an industry, they have really put the pressure on pricing and selling of service.
Service is where auto dealers make the bulk of their profits. That and the financing/extended warranties account for 80% so it's no surprise that would be a focus.
According to NADA, nearly 37 percent of a dealership's gross profit comes from the sale of F&I products and service contracts on new and used cars. A dealership's service and parts department accounts for 44 percent of the dealership's gross profits, according to NADA.
Above quote from here.....
https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wher ... 0to%20NADA.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Most you can DIY. Buy genuine Totota parts.
sport

Post by sport »

Years ago, my Toyota developed an oil leak. This is very unusual for a fairly new Toyota. The place I took it for oil changes told me it required a dealer to fix it. So, I took it to a dealer. They could have told me anything. They told me there was a piece of pollution control equipment for California that I did not have, but had a cover plate for the opening. The gasket on that plate was leaking. They repaired it for $15. After that, I took the car to that dealer for service. The prices were fair and they did not try to sell extras. However, when the dealer changed ownership, all that changed. Some of the people who had worked in the service department left (or were replaced) and started their own independent shop. They specialize in Toyotas and Hondas. I have taken my cars to them ever since. So, while many dealers try to take advantage of their customers, sometimes you can find one that doesn't.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Kagord wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:11 am DIY it, and this is around $55 for my Lexus. 7QTs mobile one advanced 0-20W, Oil Filter, Cabin Air Filter, a pair of disposable gloves. 30 minutes of work, if that, less time than going somewhere, really.

But I do own a 6 ton floor jack already, jack stands, and that stupid Toyota engine filter wrench. There's time to recycle the fluids, but I do bulk runs of those.
Not to hijack the thread, but what's the recycling story with the #2 oil containers? If the recycling center won't accept them (some do; some make you empty them), do you recycle them? Surely you aren't going to clean them out. My recycling is now allowing only #1 and #2 plastic products, and no longer allows glass of any kind.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:09 pm
Kagord wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:11 am DIY it, and this is around $55 for my Lexus. 7QTs mobile one advanced 0-20W, Oil Filter, Cabin Air Filter, a pair of disposable gloves. 30 minutes of work, if that, less time than going somewhere, really.

Not to hijack the thread, but what's the recycling story with the #2 oil containers? If the recycling center won't accept them (some do; some make you empty them), do you recycle them? Surely you aren't going to clean them out. My recycling is now allowing only #1 and #2 plastic products, and no longer allows glass of any kind.
Glass? not sure why you'd have glass for auto fluids.

Anyways, for oil, I buy the 12 quart cardboard oil tubs at Walmart, I think its $30 for Warren Distribution (Kirkland, Supertech rebranded...etc), and $40 for the Mobil One Advanced, it's really a lot cheaper than the quart or 5 gallon plastic containers. Maybe they have gone up in price though, probably 20% like everything else. I just recycle the cardboard, and throw the plastic container bag with the spout in the trash. But when I bring my oil waste collection containers to Walmart, they always say to put the filters in one area, and the empty plastic oil containers (which I never have) in another. And my recycling residential rules say I can put them in my recycle trash can empty as well. I'm sure this varies by locality.

For transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, power steering containers...etc, my county recycling just take those containers filled up with the used product, it just needs to be explicitly labeled as to what type of was fluid is in them. So I've never had a problem recycling, but I have no idea where the stuff really ends up. A while back, I read nationwide 70% of the recycling ends up in a landfill anyways because of processing capacity limitations, not sure if they solved this.
illumination

Post by illumination »

The "X Mile Service" routine is a complete rip off.
It ends up just being a lot of "inspections" and no real service.

Always "a la carte" service and maintenance. if you need an oil change, just specify an oil change, not a "service schedule".

Things like cabin and air filter changes are easily accomplished by a layman and can save a few hundred dollars. You can easily find a video on YouTube for your exact vehicle.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

On my NX, I recently had my 20k service done at the Toyota dealer for $79.95... Lexus dealer wanted $299. Toyota had coffee and chocolate chip cookies... Lexus dealer has an expresso machine, and good brownies... though that $220 saving will get me lots of both!
CCD

Post by CCD »

Agree with others here, outside a dealership is $75-100; I hate the 3K miles oil change frequency :? why that low in 2020... Cabin and motor air filters are $10-20 in amazon and takes about 5 minutes to change both.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

CCD wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 am Agree with others here, outside a dealership is $75-100; I hate the 3K miles oil change frequency :? why that low in 2020... Cabin and motor air filters are $10-20 in amazon and takes about 5 minutes to change both.
Look at your owner's manual. There's a very good chance that the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval is not 3,000 miles but 5,000 miles or 7,500 miles or sometimes even greater (depending on typical operating conditions). The 3,000 mile recommendation is typcially just the dealer's way to get you in more often.
Jimbo Moneybags

Post by Jimbo Moneybags »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:45 am Is there an easy way to find out how much different dealerships would charge for this?
Sure...call them and ask.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Kagord wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:18 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:09 pm

Glass? not sure why you'd have glass for auto fluids.

Anyways, for oil, I buy the 12 quart cardboard oil tubs at Walmart, I think its $30 for Warren Distribution (Kirkland, Supertech rebranded...etc), and $40 for the Mobil One Advanced, it's really a lot cheaper than the quart or 5 gallon plastic containers. Maybe they have gone up in price though, probably 20% like everything else. I just recycle the cardboard, and throw the plastic container bag with the spout in the trash. But when I bring my oil waste collection containers to Walmart, they always say to put the filters in one area, and the empty plastic oil containers (which I never have) in another. And my recycling residential rules say I can put them in my recycle trash can empty as well. I'm sure this varies by locality.

For transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, power steering containers...etc, my county recycling just take those containers filled up with the used product, it just needs to be explicitly labeled as to what type of was fluid is in them. So I've never had a problem recycling, but I have no idea where the stuff really ends up. A while back, I read nationwide 70% of the recycling ends up in a landfill anyways because of processing capacity limitations, not sure if they solved this.
Pepboys has a policy (nationwide, I think) of accepting waste oils from do-it-yourselfers. I just go and ask, and when they say over there I get the can out of the car and dump the oil in. They have a place for the filters. As far as I understand it, all the transmission and motor oils go into the same recycling tank. I'm sure this waste oil does get recycled.. at least I hope!

I agree... Walmart seems to have the best price on motor oil. All the parts store prices were super high even when gas was at a lot price. Now that gas is up in price, I suppose oil will go up, as well.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

For newer Lexus, running full synthetic, I suspect the OEM oil change interval is 10k miles... which is what the NX300h is.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Kagord wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:18 pm Glass? not sure why you'd have glass for auto fluids.
Sorry that was just a comment about recycling becoming more difficult in that a smaller range of items is being accepted than a year or two ago. My real question was about recycling a plastic bottle you can't clean to any extent at all. The degree/expectation/requirement of cleaning required always confused me; it seems like even with food products, using water to clean plastic containers (especially of stubborn substances) defeated much of the purpose of recycling. At one point I'd thought that the recycling process would weed out contaminants, but then I read conflicting information after that. I'm not sure to what extent that applies or not to a plastic oil bottle (or plastic bag containing oil.)
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

arf1410 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:15 am For newer Lexus, running full synthetic, I suspect the OEM oil change interval is 10k miles... which is what the NX300h is.
That's most likely for driving under ideal conditions, which is pretty rare. I'm going to guess that 6-8k for a change will make more sense.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

valleyrock wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 am Pepboys has a policy (nationwide, I think) of accepting waste oils from do-it-yourselfers. I just go and ask, and when they say over there I get the can out of the car and dump the oil in. They have a place for the filters. As far as I understand it, all the transmission and motor oils go into the same recycling tank. I'm sure this waste oil does get recycled.. at least I hope!

I agree... Walmart seems to have the best price on motor oil. All the parts store prices were super high even when gas was at a lot price. Now that gas is up in price, I suppose oil will go up, as well.
Yes on oil itself. Recycling the oil is easy, but some facilities accept the plastic bottles (bags, whatever) with the old oil in them, while others don't seem to want those, leaving you to either recycle the containers without cleaning, or toss them in the general trash. I'm asking which is the better alternative in those cases. I had always recycled my food containers without any cleaning until I read conflicting information about doing that.
Chip

Post by Chip »

rockstar wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:20 am
arf1410 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:15 am For newer Lexus, running full synthetic, I suspect the OEM oil change interval is 10k miles... which is what the NX300h is.
That's most likely for driving under ideal conditions, which is pretty rare. I'm going to guess that 6-8k for a change will make more sense.
I suppose it depends on the vehicle. The Maintenance Minder on my 4 cyl '13 Accord has consistently come up with 10k+ intervals over the life of the car. Driving is a mix of city/hwy, mostly highway. Our other car, a 4 cyl turbo, has a recommended 6k interval.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

This. Took my Honda in recently to stealership. Battery issues, still under warranty. cost $80 + $20 labor, and i succumbed to having them replace 3 wipers (being lazy) for $50! I have a good mechanic i go to for all normal maintenance. Synthetic oil change around $70. Tire rotation free at my tire place.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Like others have said, the supply for the work (synthetic oil/filter/air filter and etc) comes in around $50. If you're handy, you can do all of it yourself in ~1-2 hours with youtube video guidance. I just did oil/filter/battery change for my accord/murano within the last month. Parts' pricing is still reasonable and it's a good way of getting some exercise and away from other mundane life's event :wink:
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Gill wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:19 am We have two Lexus vehicles. Neither gets near the Lexus dealer except for the free car wash. We use our reliable independent mechanic for all service.
Gill

This. Find yourself a good independent mechanic. I use the dealer only for warranty repairs (which, because it's a Lexus is almost never) and whatever "free" early services come with it. True, the independent doesn't have the big screen TV with coffee and biscotti and no loaner car. But I just don't value those things as much as it ends up costing via inflated service "suggestions" and prices.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:45 am
Replace Engine Oil and Filter - There are Lexus Dealers in the SE Michigan charging $69.95 for Conventional and $89.95 Full Synthetic
Replace Cabin Air Filter - Do this yourself ~ $25 cost of filter
Rotate Tires - Should really be part of the oil change service.
Test Battery - Not needed on regular basis
Check and Adjust Tire Pressures - Free at Discount Tire
Top Off fluids - Should really be part of the oil change service
Having Dealer perform these basic services is only valid "IF" they are competitive. Your Dealer is NOT competitive and is taking advantage of you. Look elsewhere. Just be sure to save your maintenance receipts and fully document the service performed in a log. Are there Toyota Dealers locally?
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

AllMostThere wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:50 pm
mmcmonster wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:45 am
Replace Engine Oil and Filter - There are Lexus Dealers in the SE Michigan charging $69.95 for Conventional and $89.95 Full Synthetic
Replace Cabin Air Filter - Do this yourself ~ $25 cost of filter
Rotate Tires - Should really be part of the oil change service.
Test Battery - Not needed on regular basis
Check and Adjust Tire Pressures - Free at Discount Tire
Top Off fluids - Should really be part of the oil change service
Having Dealer perform these basic services is only valid "IF" they are competitive. Your Dealer is NOT competitive and is taking advantage of you. Look elsewhere. Just be sure to save your maintenance receipts and fully document the service performed in a log. Are there Toyota Dealers locally?
I learned recently that you can set up a CarFax account and then record maintenance in it, whether done yourself or by a garage. Actually, many garages and dealers already put maintenance records into carfax account tied to the car's VIN number. I'm not sure how to merge self-maintenance with maintenance reported by a garage, but there ought to be a way.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Do it at Toyota and save $300.

My 2015 Camry oil change is $55.
Get rich or die tryin'
squirm

Post by squirm »

Some people like going to the dealer for these things because they're treated like royalty, you know the big smile and warm greetings as they enter, then the donuts and coffee as they wait in the shiny show room. It is what it is.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

squirm wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:53 pm Some people like going to the dealer for these things because they're treated like royalty, you know the big smile and warm greetings as they enter, then the donuts and coffee as they wait in the shiny show room. It is what it is.
Just like at a boutique brokerage charging 'only' 2% on assets under management. :)
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

A quarter of the cost is probably the air and cabin filter. It is so simply to change them yourselves. (Believe me I have no mechanical skills and I just watched Youtube video on how to do them on my car). I went out and bought them from the parts section of my dealership and installed them myself. Your cabin filter is probably just behind your glove compartment and your air filter should be in plain site when you open your car hood. When I saw how much my dealer charge me for the labor for what takes literally 10 minutes is crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unPOn2bQW8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=880qy5k-uEI

If you don't like these or if your car model is different just check the Youtube videos; plenty of videos to choose from.