Attic sealing/insulation costs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SlowMovingInvestor

Attic sealing/insulation costs

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I have 2 unfinished attics, total area around 1000 sqft. They have soffit vents. There is some insulation in the attic already, probably around 6 inches (not sure exactly how much). I live in a HCOL.

I have to replace some HVAC equipment. If I were to also get a contractor to seal and add insulation to the attics (to make it up to 7 inches), I'd get some state energy subsidies. I have a quote for the combined work. The exact amount the contractor is charging just for the attic work is not easily discernible because he gets some subsidies directly.

The extra cost of the attic work to me would be around $2000. My A/C costs are almost 0, so any savings would be in heating costs.

What should the approximate cost be to hire a pro seal and add insulation if I were to get it done separately ?

I think the old insulation really needs to be removed too and there are likely a lot of other attic fixes needed beyond just sealing. The contractor with the quote seems to do only the sealing/adding insulation. He didn't even inspect the attic before the quote.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from other community members both on the cost and whether it makes sense to do all attic repairs/upgrades separately (without any subsidies, which I think incentivize contractors to fix specific items only and inflate costs to get maximum subsidies).

Thanks !
forgeblast

Re: Attic sealing/insulation costs

Post by forgeblast »

I ended up buying a spray foam kit and spraying my attic with a thin coat and then putting bat insulation over it. I added to what was there. It made a huge difference in the comfort level of our house, especially in the winter. Insulation is the gift that keeps on giving, get it done, save money year after year. Not sure if the old insulation needs to be removed, if it was blown in, they will just blow more right on top.
Topic Author
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

forgeblast wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:20 am I ended up buying a spray foam kit and spraying my attic with a thin coat and then putting bat insulation over it. I added to what was there. It made a huge difference in the comfort level of our house, especially in the winter. Insulation is the gift that keeps on giving, get it done, save money year after year. Not sure if the old insulation needs to be removed, if it was blown in, they will just blow more right on top.
Thanks for the response. Was the attic flood uninsulated before ? If so, it might have made a larger difference than in an attic that already has insulation.

My concern is that the existing insulation (which predates my arrival in the house) may have mold or even vermin droppings, so I'd like to see it removed rather than just have more blown in.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I got bids (about 1700 sf) to remove all of the old attic insulation, seal and add new insulation. It was right before Covid hit and was about $5,000 as I recall. Prices have changed I am sure. I decided on removing the old when I found mice droppings up there. Then there is the platform which the HVAC sits on and ensuring that the soffit vents are not just covered in insulation - seems like a no-brainer, but they did that to my neighbor.

I had the roof replaced...the amount of debris which fell made me glad I did the roof first.

Get a few bids and anyone who doesn't go up there, I would not hire...but that's just me.* Check for licensing if that is required by your state's authority which licenses contractor trades.

*When I had the roof replaced, the estimator did not go into the far end and missed something...it cost the roofer extra, but he did not charge me...he said the estimator should have caught it.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

Check to see if your state/utilities offer a program to do energy improvements to your home for discounted rates/possibly free

We had our attic (Massachusetts) sealed and another 6-8" of insulation blown in for free about 4 years ago - no income restrictions and saved about $2500

Link to the program in MA (as an idea of what may be available in your state)
https://www.masssave.com/save/insulation
Big FRANK

Post by Big FRANK »

What state are you in ? Most states recommend R-38 in attics which would be 12" of cellulose. I would guess to remove , air seal and reinsulate attic would cost about $3.00 sq ft.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:31 am
forgeblast wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:20 am I ended up buying a spray foam kit and spraying my attic with a thin coat and then putting bat insulation over it. I added to what was there. It made a huge difference in the comfort level of our house, especially in the winter. Insulation is the gift that keeps on giving, get it done, save money year after year. Not sure if the old insulation needs to be removed, if it was blown in, they will just blow more right on top.
Thanks for the response. Was the attic flood uninsulated before ? If so, it might have made a larger difference than in an attic that already has insulation.

My concern is that the existing insulation (which predates my arrival in the house) may have mold or even vermin droppings, so I'd like to see it removed rather than just have more blown in.
The attic had say r20 in there, but we had a wood stove for heat, the house was 80 all winter. When we went to propane, we noticed the cold. So that summer I added the sprayfoam and r32 (I think) on top of what was there, and added a plywood floor.
Mr-et-Mrs-R

Post by Mr-et-Mrs-R »

If this is something that you can do yourself, then do it.
Removing and installing insulation isn't difficult, just be sure to have a proper mask (fiberglass dust is nasty stuff), and a full body suit, hat & gloves.

Homedepot sells r38 faced batts for $57 per bundle.
For a 1,000 sqft, it works out to about a buck a square foot.
Actually, their page is really nice, includes a cost calculator and R-Value map.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

Mr-et-Mrs-R wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:23 am If this is something that you can do yourself, then do it.
Removing and installing insulation isn't difficult, just be sure to have a proper mask (fiberglass dust is nasty stuff), and a full body suit, hat & gloves.

Homedepot sells r38 faced batts for $57 per bundle.
For a 1,000 sqft, it works out to about a buck a square foot.
Actually, their page is really nice, includes a cost calculator and R-Value map.
Following this topic. I have a pile of Home Depot batts in my living room right now and trying to get a pro to muck out all the old vermin droppings (all petrified - the holes in soffits were closed off long ago so no new incursions) so I can lay the new stuff. It's not easy trying to get someone out here.
+1 on the respirator mask and tyvek suit
SmoothieJ

Post by SmoothieJ »

I removed the insulation from an 1895 house and hired a company to spray icynene spray foam at 6". The R value is lower this way, however the ability of any spray foam to seal up gaps and cracks is phenomenal. Relying on R Value alone is deceiving. The U Value is less known and is really more of a deciding factor for slowing the transfer of air flow. Spray foam improves this value by stopping/slowing the air transfer from house to attic.

The small business/owner I hired for the icynene was very adamant that I did not need more than 6" of the product because of the law of diminishing returns--cost versus savings. The benefit for my attic was that I now have walkable space over the ceiling joists without disturbing the insulation.

Comfort and value are two different things. You will definitely save money (over a long time) by doing the job right, but the comfort will be where you get the most value.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

My son and I replaced and added insulation to our attic several years ago. It has really helped with HVAC efficiency and comfort.

One other thing we did is put an attic tent over the attic stairs. It essentially seals off the attic and you unzip/zip it when going into the attic. My son installed it and the tent cost around $150 if I remember correctly. A local radio home improvement show promoted those and I believe they are worth doing. We had an energy inspection by our power company afterwards and the guy was impressed that we had the attic tent.
deikel

Post by deikel »

In my neck of the woods no contractor would come out for a 2k USD job, so it seems your choice is to either not do it or do it yourself (and loose the subsidies, whatever they may buy you vs the contractor).

How much is the 2k extra to the overall job ?

Personally I would let the contractor do it in one go.

I just did a new roof and had the old insulation taken out and new insulation installed (I love rockwool!) and it makes a crazy difference even in the few summer months we now had it already - can not wait for Winter. We effectively made the upstairs livable again. I am not sure if I will make my money back in terms of heating cooling savings, but I sure increased my house usage.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
RoadagentMN

Post by RoadagentMN »

This is the way. It’s called flash and batt. The spray foam stops air infiltration with the insulation do the insulation thing.
SmoothieJ

Post by SmoothieJ »

Our local gas company performed an energy audit where the discounts for the splash and batt or blown. There would have been a significant savings had I did this, but likely would not have been as good as a job for what I needed.

My Icynene ran about $3 for the attic, some open wall cavities, basement foundation and hidden spaces such as the porch attic that was open to the 2nd floor/1st floor ceiling (he had to crawl into a hole I cut in the porch roof to access the area). If you find a good local contractor, they may charge you based on what they spray rather than per square foot.