AppleTV The Foundation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
familythriftmd

AppleTV The Foundation

Post by familythriftmd »

I was thinking about getting AppleTV in order to watch The Foundation. Has anyone seen the first episode(s?). Would it be worth a subscription to watch it?
Silk McCue

Re: AppleTV The Foundation

Post by Silk McCue »

You can simply wait until all 10 episodes drop then sign up month to month at $4.99. You then watch them all plus anything else that peaks your interest and cancel before the next month renewal.

Cheers
Last edited by Silk McCue on Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

I have not seen it, but on IMDB the first episode rates 8.4, the second 7.4.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Apple TV+ is a good value for $4.99.

Foundation is in my queue to watch. It looks good. Early ratings are solid.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle7

Re: Apple TV+

Post by Bogle7 »

Apple TV is hardware.
Apple TV+ is the service.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
rv26

Post by rv26 »

I've watched the first 2 episodes. The visual effects are amazing but as a fan of the books I'm waiting to see where they take the show. If you have T-mobile, you can get a year of Apple TV+ for free.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

rv26 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:01 am I've watched the first 2 episodes. The visual effects are amazing but as a fan of the books I'm waiting to see where they take the show. If you have T-mobile, you can get a year of Apple TV+ for free.
In "behind the scenes" they said that they have enough material for 8 seasons.

They made some changes to the story to make it fit the format. One was something called "genetic dynasties." One of the trailers has a character visiting an embryo of himself.

No idea what that means.
Leif

Post by Leif »

i enjoyed the first two episodes. i got my subscription from buying a new iPhone. Apple TV plus does not have much free content, other than a few of their own programming.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

Haven't seen The Foundation but we love AppleTV+ so far.

My favorite series, in order, of the 8 that we've watched thus far.
1. Ted Lasso
2. Trying
3. For All Mankind
4. The Morning Show
5. Mythic Quest
6. The Mosquito Coast
7. Dickinson
8. See

We've also enjoyed a few of the documentaries and movies as well.
Last edited by OnceARunner on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am Apple TV is hardware.
But can I still watch from my iMac if I have the subscription? I don't need that box thing, do I?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

familythriftmd wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:42 am
Bogle7 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am Apple TV is hardware.
But can I still watch from my iMac if I have the subscription? I don't need that box thing, do I?
No you don’t need the AppleTV device. If you already have a streaming device connected to your TV you may very well be able to download free of charge the AppleTV app to that device and login there once you setup an AppleTV account.

We use FireTV device and use multiple streaming services including AppleTV.

Cheers
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Here is an Apple Support page showing all the ways you can watch Apple TV+:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tvplus/welcome/web
Wiki
Topic Author
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

DSInvestor wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:50 am Here is an Apple Support page showing all the ways you can watch Apple TV+:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tvplus/welcome/web
Thanks! We don't have a TV, but I'm sure I could figure it out with the support page.
davebo

Post by davebo »

Apple TV+ has a lot of free trials floating around, so look for deals through cell phone provider or check the apple TV+ app on your phone (assuming you have an iphone). I had a 1 year free offer because I purchased the new Iphone 12 a couple months ago.
interwebopinion

Post by interwebopinion »

I love the Apple TV+ version of Foundation. Very fresh and compelling. The original book, and no disrespect meant, was a bit of a slog. So I was pleasantly surprised at what they have done, making it fresh for our age. Not sure if you noticed, but the show involves the progeny of two famous people - Asimov's daughter, and Larry Ellison (Oracle founder's) son. Talk about genetic lineage.

The other sleeper show that should be a huge hit is "Earth at Night in Color" - https://tv.apple.com/us/show/earth-at-n ... x9fnczl1a1

Just outstanding stuff. Every episode leaves you rocking back on your heels.
EagleI

Post by EagleI »

I liked the Foundation series so far - and I’m a big Asimov fan. It is an adaptation filmed 60-70 years after the books, so I don’t mind some updates and changes. Asimov’s writing style is very dialog based, so I suspect the series will expand more into the action area.

Besides the Foundation Trilogy, there were 4 other Foundation books that Asimov wrote, as well as 10-12 in the same “galactic universe” with overlapping plot lines.

We’ll see what material the Apple+ series draws upon.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

davebo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:47 pm Apple TV+ has a lot of free trials floating around, so look for deals through cell phone provider or check the apple TV+ app on your phone (assuming you have an iphone). I had a 1 year free offer because I purchased the new Iphone 12 a couple months ago.

Apple had a promo where you get Apple TV+ for free when you get a new device, I think it was 1 year and now dropped to 3 months. See if you qualify if you got any eligible a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac recently. I know most people are usually buying some new Apple device every few years.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I would say give it till oct 1 when the 3rd episode comes out. Then you can watch 3 episodes during the 7 day free trial which I think is enough to tell whether it is worth the $5 a month. And another plug for Ted Lasso. I hate sports in general, couldn’t care less about American or “real” football, and love the show.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

familythriftmd wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 am I was thinking about getting AppleTV in order to watch The Foundation. Has anyone seen the first episode(s?). Would it be worth a subscription to watch it?
From Apple.cøm. You can get AppleTv+ free for a year with purchase of AppleTV 4k. The 4k AppleTV works for an HD Tv - it doesn’t have to be a 4ktv
Topic Author
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

I decided to start with the trial. First episode was great, even though they took some liberties with the content. Also the application ran smoothly on the iMac. Even $5/month isn't so bad given that I can quit any time.