Learning to play the guitar as an adult - possible?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sabhen

Learning to play the guitar as an adult - possible?

Post by sabhen »

I like to to play the guitar. I am not the musical type. Would be great to play "Spanish Ballad" bu not knowing where to start. I like to take challenges. Any tips/suggestions are welcome.
sailaway

Re: Learning to play the guitar as an adult - possible?

Post by sailaway »

You already play guitar and would like to learn classical, 10 or 12 string?

Or you want to learn to play a specific style on a standard 6 string?

Either way start with a lesson. A good teacher will be able to guide you on purchasing the appropriate instrument for what you want to do.

Post by 123 »

For loss cost/low stress learning see if your city has a recreation program that offers guitar lessons. There are also adult education programs that could be offered by your local school district (typically in evenings) or a local community college (non-credit).

I think guitar is one of the basic instruments that many community colleges offer regular classes in. So register for a class and see how it goes. Low cost. The advantages of a community college class is that your classmates will likely be of similar interests (and experience).

Of course you can always check for youtube.com videos.
Last edited by 123 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Good book for inspiration.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ERIJS4

On the eve of his 40th birthday, Gary Marcus, a renowned scientist with no discernible musical talent, learns to play the guitar and investigates how anyone—of any age —can become musical. Do you have to be born musical to become musical? Do you have to start at the age of six?

Using the tools of his day job as a cognitive psychologist, Gary Marcus becomes his own guinea pig as he takes up the guitar. In a powerful and incisive look at how both children and adults become musical, Guitar Zero traces Marcus’s journey, what he learned, and how anyone else can learn, too. A groundbreaking peek into the origins of music in the human brain, this musical journey is also an empowering tale of the mind’s enduring plasticity.

Marcus investigates the most effective ways to train body and brain to learn to play an instrument, in a quest that takes him from Suzuki classes to guitar gods. From deliberate and efficient practicing techniques to finding the right music teacher, Marcus translates his own experience—as well as reflections from world-renowned musicians—into practical advice for anyone hoping to become musical, or to learn a new skill.

Guitar Zero debunks the popular theory of an innate musical instinct while simultaneously challenging the idea that talent is only a myth. While standing the science of music on its head, Marcus brings new insight into humankind’s most basic question: what counts as a life well lived? Does one have to become the next Jimi Hendrix to make a passionate pursuit worthwhile, or can the journey itself bring the brain lasting satisfaction?

For all those who have ever set out to play an instrument—or wish that they could—Guitar Zero is an inspiring and fascinating look at the pursuit of music, the mechanics of the mind, and the surprising rewards that come from following one’s dreams.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

Go for it. It is definitely possible. It sounds like you're interested in classical style which is easier as a beginner - a nylon string guitar with wide string spacing is easier to play than steel string acoustic.

I highly recommend finding a teacher rather than trying to learn on your own. A teacher will keep you motivated and make sure you are progressing. They can help you with general musical skills that you may be lacking (you said you're not a musical type). It might be a long while before you can play Spanish Ballad, but a good teacher will help you do something musical no matter what level you're at.

In person lessons are best but one-on-one video lessons can work if there's no one local. If it is classical style you're interested in make sure that is what the teacher teaches.
Last edited by LinearRange on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Like others, I'm here to encourage you.

I've been a musician since I was a boy, and have learned several instruments over the last 70 years, really. At age 55 I went back to college to get a degree in music. It is a good thing to begin an instrument as an adult (I started learning to play the trombone at age 71).

My personal philosophy is that some activities have a beginning, a middle, and an end. For example reading a book. Writing a book. Building a house. Preparing, eating, and cleaning up after a meal.

Other activities, however, have a beginning and a middle, but no end. Learning a musical instrument is one of those activities. You start from little or nothing, and then build upon your skills; and build, and build, and build as you learn and get "better."

Take it step-by-step as you learn to play the guitar, one of the most beautiful instruments in the world. You may face frustration along the way, but there will be moments of triumph and beauty.

Getting a good teacher is certainly a smart way to reach your goals. But you'll also have plenty of opportunity to learn skills, songs, techniques, etc., on your own. Playing & performing with other musicians is another level of music that you'll experience as well. Also, you'll have other teachers as you progress. Some will be more attuned to your style of learning than others. As an adult, you have more choices than when you were in public school--remember, you're paying the teacher.

Your guitar will provide you with challenges and give you solace and joy. Best of luck to you!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Topic Author
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

My community college offer cheap lessons (instructor led) but it seems it has to be online. I am a newbie. So really I wants to be able to get to a decent standard.
brocker

Post by brocker »

I tinkered a little with drums when I was a teenager (probably in a a misguided attempt to get girls) and picked it up again a few years ago in my late 40s. I took lessons for about a year and it has been great. It's nice to have something to do that isn't related to work and money sometimes. You have nothing to lose by trying so I would say do it!!
leo383

Post by leo383 »

YouTube is a fantastic place to learn just about anything.

I suggest Justin Guitar or Andy Guitar to start with guitar.

Tell yourself "I'm going to spend 20 minutes a day studying the guitar" then do it . No excuses, no expectations.

Do you just want to learn that one piece? That's different. Buy the music and a guitar and gut it out. Some time every day practicing as mistake free as possible and you'll get there. You will likely hate that piece by the end but you'll be able to play it.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

Definitely go for it.

In addition to the ideas other have mentioned above, there are so many online resources now. It's much easier to access learning materials than when I started back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. YouTube videos, online courses, instructors doing lessons via Zoom.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Jazztonight wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:25 pm Like others, I'm here to encourage you.

I've been a musician since I was a boy, and have learned several instruments over the last 70 years, really. At age 55 I went back to college to get a degree in music. It is a good thing to begin an instrument as an adult (I started learning to play the trombone at age 71).

My personal philosophy is that some activities have a beginning, a middle, and an end. For example reading a book. Writing a book. Building a house. Preparing, eating, and cleaning up after a meal.

Other activities, however, have a beginning and a middle, but no end. Learning a musical instrument is one of those activities. You start from little or nothing, and then build upon your skills; and build, and build, and build as you learn and get "better."

Take it step-by-step as you learn to play the guitar, one of the most beautiful instruments in the world. You may face frustration along the way, but there will be moments of triumph and beauty.

Getting a good teacher is certainly a smart way to reach your goals. But you'll also have plenty of opportunity to learn skills, songs, techniques, etc., on your own. Playing & performing with other musicians is another level of music that you'll experience as well. Also, you'll have other teachers as you progress. Some will be more attuned to your style of learning than others. As an adult, you have more choices than when you were in public school--remember, you're paying the teacher.

Your guitar will provide you with challenges and give you solace and joy. Best of luck to you!
Great points from a music professional, composer, and musician.
Well said!

OP: There are no age barriers. The only barriers are self generated. IE: unrealistic expectations, over goal vs experience focused.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Some random considerations:

If within your time and budget and ability:

1. Private lessons once per week with "homework" to do in between.
(music concepts, skills, and so forth are highly individual)
2. Download classical or spanish guitar songs that you like, "tab is fine" and just play them.
3. Get a pair of good bluetooth headphones or ear buds and download the style of music and guitar playing, etc, that you like and would like to play, and enjoy listening to, and "immerse" yourself in it as often as you can. IE: while mowing the lawn, painting the deck, etc. Turn it up loud enough to hear the instruments and let your mind and self "learn the music subconsciously". This is part of "ear training" as well. Too often, guitar and instrument teachers focus on technique at the expense of "ear training", learning to hear and relating that to the instrument.
3B.Listen to "Paco Pena". Download some albums into your iPhone or cell phone. Play it every day. Listening is "homework".
4. If your existing guitar that you already own is not comfortable or inhibits your playing in any way, get one that fits you and has the sound and playability you like. A good guitar teacher will guide you as well.
5. A great guitar "coach" can be your greatest resource in a long term music relationship (not just basic lessons and done), so be selective and take the time to "find a good fit in personality and approach, etc" in a guitar teacher. Yes. You are allowed to try new one's and come and go to any as you please. Students come and go all day long for a guitar teacher.
6. As a side benefit, if you can find a guitar teacher that is or was a playing professional and also has a music degree in guitar, all the better. Not a guarantee but all the better. Similar to a golf teacher that is or not PGA trained and certified. (again, it depends).
7. Each guitar teacher has a certain teaching method that they are most fond of. Maybe a "one size fits all" step by step with no skipped steps approach, or a "teach to fit the student's ability and skills and interests" approach. Find what fits "you".
7B. You can go to a guitar teacher and say, "Teach me how to play "Spanish Ballad/Spanish Romance", and focus on that. In learning to play just that one song excellently, your overall skills will improve to play other things as well, and so forth. You don't have to learn "scales" and "theory" for a year before playing "Spanish Romance". Work your way up to "Asturias", etc.
8. Have an enjoyable routine to play your guitar every day for at least a few minutes, even if just to play a simple basic warm up and something like "Malaguena" or "La Paloma", then be done for the day.
9. You don't need huge goals, or any goals, or unrealistic expectations to discourage you. Just go as it happens, have fun, smile.
10. Don't compare. Never compare with others in real life or in your mind. That is a road to forever discouragement and dissapointment. . . Unless you are the type of person where comparisons light a competitive fire and rage to excel.
11. Have fun.
12. Repeat #11.

OP:
Have you learned how to cut your fingernails to play a nylon strung guitar?
Do you have a guitar? What kind?
Do you know how to sit to play a classical guitar (there is a specific way to it to play and finger the notes, with a foot stool).?
If you have a guitar and play, what do you play now?
Can you read “Tab”?????

PM me as you wish.

Dislaimer: zillions of ways and opinonions to do zillions of everything.
Tjb

Post by Tjb »

OP

Of course you can learn to play the guitar. In fact, I could show you how to play it in an hour, the key to actually playing it comes down to practice and dexterity. Also, having a clear picture on what level you want to call what you can do as "playing the guitar "

With knowing 3 chords and having the dexterity to change from one to the other, you can play (strum) hundreds of songs. Playing like Chet Atkins is another story.

I agree with others that youtube is an excellent resource, both for considerations on buying a first guitar, and learning to play. Web pages like Chordie and ultimate guitar chords . com explain song progressions and show chord changes. All of that is well and good but, getting past the sore fingers, and learning chord shapes and strumming patterns is the key. Start Slow, a few chords, play them over and over and over again until you can change with ease, and you are playing. After that, you can decide on finger picking and using scales, following the same repetitive plan to take you where you want to go.

it wont happen overnight, but being able to strum and play a few tunes comes fast, other technics take more time, but totally achievable at any age.

Good Luck with it.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Before you do anything else I recommend that you read The Practice of Practice. I'm sure that you will recognize evidence based information that addresses some of your questions and concerns.

If you decide to pursue, I would also recommend reading First Learn to Practice. There is some overlap between the two books, with FLTP being more of a cookbook while TPOP is how the recipes were developed. Both are excellent.

Having tried more than once, and failed mightily, at learning guitar in years past I look at the content of those books and think wow what might have been.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Do you already have a nylon string classical guitar?

What brand and model?

If not, have you shopped for one?

PM me as you wish. :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

123 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:51 pm For loss cost/low stress learning see if your city has a recreation program that offers guitar lessons. There are also adult education programs that could be offered by your local school district (typically in evenings) or a local community college (non-credit).
+1 on the community college, I did this for guitar, and a few languages. Stairway to Heaven, quite uncommon for people to learn on guitar, is a great song to start with, and then you can go into a Guitar Center and play it for the staff once you have it about 60%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD1KqbDdmuE
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I did this for a while, and while I no longer do it, found it rewarding. I still have my instrument. I expect to dabble with it some more after retiring in a few years. I used Frederick Noad's 'Solo Guitar Playing', which I liked a lot. I also recommend Savarez strings; they really transformed the sound of my instrument.

My taste runs more toward northern european lute music (Dowland, Bach, Cutting, Sylvius Leopold Weiss) than spanish romantic, but it's all good.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

I am in the process of learning a new skill with an online teacher. The teacher spends a lot of time talking about being prepared to be terrible. Her favorite motto is “practice makes progress.”
easyj

Post by easyj »

I have been playing guitar for many years and would like to help. Playing guitar is a big deal and takes quite a bit of time and practice. How old are you and what is your ultimate goal of learning to playing guitar?
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Thank you for starting this thread!!!!
Topic Author
sabhen

Post by sabhen »

My motivation is trying something new that is almost alien to the way I have done things. I have some time at this stage and the pandemic prompted me to rethink my priorities in life. I am utterly non-musical but enjoy listening to good music. I started learning cloud computing and passed some certifications after being totally ignorant about the subject last summer. The catalyst was a podcast I listened to. And a random post from a Boglehead who inspired me. So for the guitar is something similar. I just want to try it for fun. I have taken flying lessons for a private pilot license. It was a great learning experience.
easyj

Post by easyj »

backpacker61 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:57 am I did this for a while, and while I no longer do it, found it rewarding. I still have my instrument. I expect to dabble with it some more after retiring in a few years. I used Frederick Noad's 'Solo Guitar Playing', which I liked a lot. I also recommend Savarez strings; they really transformed the sound of my instrument.

My taste runs more toward northern european lute music (Dowland, Bach, Cutting, Sylvius Leopold Weiss) than spanish romantic, but it's all good.
Your experience speaks volumes on this. This is why I asked about the age of the original poster. I think your age, your goal, and you circumstances in life play a major role in if it will be worth your while to pick up an instrument. I know plenty of people who really want to play, but were forced to put down their instrument or stop singing due to the other responsibilities. I know quite a few who picked it back up in retirement or when they neared retirement. I also know people divorced because they didn't stop playing. A great deal of people have a guitar that they don't play anymore. I would say it will most likely be a waste of time and money for the original poster to pick up a guitar, unless they are young, or unless they have particular set of circumstances that would make it work. This being said, I love music and I love playing guitar. There is a cost to being involved in music and it is really hard to make it work in your adult life.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

easyj wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 pm There is a cost to being involved in music and it is really hard to make it work in your adult life.
Yes; for serious classical guitar playing, I understand you need about 2 hours daily practice.

I never have had that, and for what little discretionary time I have, I have other interests.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

sabhen wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:05 pm My motivation is trying something new that is almost alien to the way I have done things. I have some time at this stage and the pandemic prompted me to rethink my priorities in life. I am utterly non-musical but enjoy listening to good music. I started learning cloud computing and passed some certifications after being totally ignorant about the subject last summer. The catalyst was a podcast I listened to. And a random post from a Boglehead who inspired me. So for the guitar is something similar. I just want to try it for fun. I have taken flying lessons for a private pilot license. It was a great learning experience.
Buy a student acoustic classical guitar by Ibanez, cordoba,, etc. Sign up for private weekly lessons like your flying lessons. Then have fun.
That’s it.
Easy peasy.
Keep things simple.
No stress….just press.

j🌺
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I learned how to play banjo when I was 48-50. I was getting pretty good and was looking forward to playing more when I retired at 53.

But then I developed some serious tendonitis in my arm. It probably wasn't caused by the playing ( I have a long history of damage to that arm), but that certainly aggravated it.

So I had to stop. And everytime I try to get back into it, the pain comes back.

But in the meantime, I helped out a banjo playing friend who is in a blues band one night, and ran sound for them. I barely knew what I was doing, but managed to keep things under control. As an electrical engineer, I had some advantages over most people in picking that up. Still, I've spent hundreds of hours learning all about sound processing. I'm a couple years into it now, and in super deep, and loving it!

I've since branched out into live recording and doing post-performance remixes for several local bands. I do the first few shows for free, but lately I've actually been paid for making demos for a couple bands.

I guess my point is, go for it! If I hadn't met that friend through banjo playing, I never would have thought about getting into music production.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
miles ahead

Post by miles ahead »

Very possible to learn as adult. Lots of great free lessons and tutorials online youtube, etc. happy playing! :sharebeer
Tuco

Post by Tuco »

It's very possible. This is something where incremental practice can bring significant gains over a relative short period of time. You need a moderate amount of ability and the willingness to keep at it.

Get a guitar. Go to a music shop or shops, find one that you trust/like, tell them you are a beginner, and ask for their advice. If you have a friend who plays, seek out their advice as well. If you are interested in Latin music, you will probably want a nylon string classical guitar. (These are a little tougher to learn on as the strings are a bit harder to fret than say, an electric guitar with lighter gauge strings, but you will also build good finger strength.)

Live lessons with a teacher are helpful to help learn basic techniques and get you started. It helps if they have a curriculum to tech you rather than just "what do you want to earn to play." Online lesson sites can be useful both to learn basics and an overall context and some musical theory as well. "Justin Guitar" is a free website (he's got videos on YouTube as well) and offers a very well designed intro to the basic techniques and theory that can get you up and playing quickly. I highly recommend it. Watch his lessons; practice 15-30 minutes a day, every day, for a month and see what happens: https://www.justinguitar.com/

If you have a guitar and want to just dive in, here's tablature--simplified notes/chords-- for "Spanish Ballad." There are others online as well: https://www.ultimate-tabs.com/misc-trad ... ballad-tab (Google the song name and "guitar tab" or "guitar chords.")

Here's an online lesson on how to play the song using a more advanced style: https://www.latinguitarmastery.com/clas ... ar-lesson/. There are lots of these online as well, some free, some paid.

Good luck. Every time you pick up the instrument and play you are learning something and likely getting better.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

easyj wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 pm I would say it will most likely be a waste of time and money for the original poster to pick up a guitar, unless they are young, or unless they have particular set of circumstances that would make it work.
I'm not one to rain on anyone's parade, but I think this post is closer to the mark than all the optimistic cheering. That said, the cost is likely to be low and well worth a shot. I think one "particular set of circumstances" would be if the OP can sing. If you can sing, your guitar playing ability doesn't have to be nearly as high, just strumming a few chords. The OP says "not musical" and the goal is "Spanish Ballad". an unrealistic combo in my view. I tried to learn piano in my 50's and found out quickly what "not musical" means for me.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

easyj wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 pm Your experience speaks volumes on this. This is why I asked about the age of the original poster. I think your age, your goal, and you circumstances in life play a major role in if it will be worth your while to pick up an instrument. I know plenty of people who really want to play, but were forced to put down their instrument or stop singing due to the other responsibilities. I know quite a few who picked it back up in retirement or when they neared retirement. I also know people divorced because they didn't stop playing. A great deal of people have a guitar that they don't play anymore. I would say it will most likely be a waste of time and money for the original poster to pick up a guitar, unless they are young, or unless they have particular set of circumstances that would make it work. This being said, I love music and I love playing guitar. There is a cost to being involved in music and it is really hard to make it work in your adult life.
michaelingp wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 am I'm not one to rain on anyone's parade, but I think this post is closer to the mark than all the optimistic cheering. That said, the cost is likely to be low and well worth a shot. I think one "particular set of circumstances" would be if the OP can sing. If you can sing, your guitar playing ability doesn't have to be nearly as high, just strumming a few chords. The OP says "not musical" and the goal is "Spanish Ballad". an unrealistic combo in my view. I tried to learn piano in my 50's and found out quickly what "not musical" means for me.
Come on, how silly.

If the OP said "I want to be a professional musician, starting at 50", sure. But the idea that if you haven't played since childhood that you can't enjoy music and playing, come on.

I can't talk to guitar specifically, but picking up "Simply Piano", I've found great part-time joy. I want to be able to play Chopin some day... but probably won't. I can play the easy part of Fur Elise :)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

michaelingp wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 am
easyj wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 pm I would say it will most likely be a waste of time and money for the original poster to pick up a guitar, unless they are young, or unless they have particular set of circumstances that would make it work.
I'm not one to rain on anyone's parade, but I think this post is closer to the mark than all the optimistic cheering. That said, the cost is likely to be low and well worth a shot. I think one "particular set of circumstances" would be if the OP can sing. If you can sing, your guitar playing ability doesn't have to be nearly as high, just strumming a few chords. The OP says "not musical" and the goal is "Spanish Ballad". an unrealistic combo in my view. I tried to learn piano in my 50's and found out quickly what "not musical" means for me.
Good points.

As far as ability and what can be achieved. That depends on each person.

As far as what can be achieved and if it is proportional to personal reward and satisfaction, that is highly individual.

For example: A golfer who's best score is a double bogey on any hole and is elated about it and loves the game of golf at that level, or even if a total duffer, then great for "that person". VS another golfer who hates golf because he is not a "scratch player" but continues to play is another story.

Another example: some people are highly accomplished singers. . . in the shower. And just love it! Great. And, singing can be just as much a musical skill as playing a guitar. IE: Many great bands have a "front man/woman" that all they do is sing.

As fer "Spanish Ballad". If played by an expert, it certainly sounds wonderful, the notes are simple but sound complex because they are quickly repeated. The fingerboard patterns are simple, depending on the person playing it and so forth.
There are even simpler very fundamental beginner pieces and exercises that sound great and are at a level for a 7 year old beginner. And, then "Spanish Ballad" can just be the end goal that even if played badly is a source of amusement and wonder and happiness.

Anyway, the point of the above missive is to point out that everyone has different abilities and expectations, realistic or unrealistic, and that whatever it might be is not a limitation to the happiness that can be had by doing things well or badly and if one needs to do things well to enjoy it.
IE: Many people have fun getting a Yellow Belt in Karate and no more than that. They didn't need to get a Black Belt that takes 2-5 years (traditionally in Asia).

So, you brought up a great point. Thanks@@
*Also, thanks for the tab link to "Spanish Ballad", I'll try it out later today! :D :D

I also am trying to learn the piano as a senior. I played when I was little but all that is gone gone. While I'll never be as good as a 6 year old beginner, it is fun just struggling through it as I can.

Back to the OP's question and topic so we don't have a side discussion per forum rules:

OP: have fun with whatever you attempt and do and do it any way you want. As you work on your guitar skills, continue to sing in the shower at full volume. There's usually great reverb in the shower and every voice sounds richer.

When we, as adults, can rekindle the pure bliss of a child's sense of wonder at something new, then life is truly good.
Aloha
dis laimer: zillions of paths and ways and opinonions to do zillions of things.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:03 am
michaelingp wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 am
Good points.

As far as ability and what can be achieved. That depends on each person.

As far as what can be achieved and if it is proportional to personal reward and satisfaction, that is highly individual.

For example: A golfer who's best score is a double bogey on any hole and is elated about it and loves the game of golf at that level, or even if a total duffer, then great for "that person". VS another golfer who hates golf because he is not a "scratch player" but continues to play is another story.

Another example: some people are highly accomplished singers. . . in the shower. And just love it! Great. And, singing can be just as much a musical skill as playing a guitar. IE: Many great bands have a "front man/woman" that all they do is sing.

As fer "Spanish Ballad". If played by an expert, it certainly sounds wonderful, the notes are simple but sound complex because they are quickly repeated. The fingerboard patterns are simple, depending on the person playing it and so forth.
There are even simpler very fundamental beginner pieces and exercises that sound great and are at a level for a 7 year old beginner. And, then "Spanish Ballad" can just be the end goal that even if played badly is a source of amusement and wonder and happiness.

Anyway, the point of the above missive is to point out that everyone has different abilities and expectations, realistic or unrealistic, and that whatever it might be is not a limitation to the happiness that can be had by doing things well or badly and if one needs to do things well to enjoy it.
IE: Many people have fun getting a Yellow Belt in Karate and no more than that. They didn't need to get a Black Belt that takes 2-5 years (traditionally in Asia).

So, you brought up a great point. Thanks@@
*Also, thanks for the tab link to "Spanish Ballad", I'll try it out later today! :D :D

I also am trying to learn the piano as a senior. I played when I was little but all that is gone gone. While I'll never be as good as a 6 year old beginner, it is fun just struggling through it as I can.

Back to the OP's question and topic so we don't have a side discussion per forum rules:

OP: have fun with whatever you attempt and do and do it any way you want. As you work on your guitar skills, continue to sing in the shower at full volume. There's usually great reverb in the shower and every voice sounds richer.

When we, as adults, can rekindle the pure bliss of a child's sense of wonder at something new, then life is truly good.
Aloha
dis laimer: zillions of paths and ways and opinonions to do zillions of things.
One of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Might consider starting on a uke. The short scale and low tension strings make it a great stringed instrument to start on.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I started learning the guitar around a year ago. I was 61 then. It's been fun. It is very difficult at first. All chords seem foreign; you've never put your fingers in these weird positions, and it just seems impossible. I am certain that my older brain has more trouble learning "muscle memory" than a teenager's brain. But keep at it every day and your brain+muscles will start to make their connections, and one day you'll discover that you can put your fingers down in the right place for a particular chord. Muscle memory is an amazing thing. Glen Campbell did not read music. He said "I can't explain it, I can just play." He had thousands and thousands of hours behind him. He literally could not remember his wife's name or his daughter's name, but hand him a guitar and he could shred as if nothing was wrong.

I second the recommendation for the "Justin Guitar" online course. IT'S FREE. You can pay for a subscription to get access to tons of songs for practicing, but the courses themselves are free, and Justin is a well-known, excellent teacher with a very friendly and easy-going way about him.

And, if there is a song that you're interesting in learning, that makes it much more enjoyable and will help you pick up the guitar every day.

Am I any good? No. Am I ever going to play in front of a room of people? No. So what? If I'm going to judge any new activity based on whether or not I'll be "really good" at it some day, then that eliminates just about all new activities. One thing about the guitar is that you can spend the rest of your life learning it because there's no end to what you can learn. Even Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) says he is still learning things, and he's one of the best guitarists ever. I figure it's a good activity to keep my brain occupied.

P.S. Find a local guitar store. They can put strings on the guitar that are easier for a beginner to learn on, vs. the "out of the box" strings.
apex84

Post by apex84 »

I've used Pianote for "learning" piano as a non-musical beginner (my wife has musical training in other instruments and we recently bought a piano). It's been fun and allowed me to learn some basics at my own pace.

I have no idea if it is good, but they make a similar program for guitar.

https://www.guitareo.com

If it's anything like Pianote, they will have free videos on YouTube you can check out.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

You said you like to play the guitar. Did you receive instruction or did you teach yourself? Your past success or lack of success with that would be the best indicator of how well you would do learning classical guitar.

I would recommend finding a good teacher and committing to about four lessons to see how it goes.

Note: I've been a professional classical guitarist and teacher for 50 years, and have taught students of all ages and levels from young beginners up through professionals at the university level. If you have any other questions I'll try and answer them for you.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

I don't see why not. Hire a teacher and see how it goes. You might not wind up playing the classical repetoire that you want to play, but neither do most people who play as children, either, so there's no particular reason to let age stop you.

(I'm not sure whether children learn faster than adults. We know that children learn differently (children explore, adults exploit), but I think a decent part of it is that it's acceptable for little kids to take a few years to produce anything musical sounding, and adults are more impatient and don't want to spend a year and a half to play an eight bar piece based on an arpeggio when that might be your first *recital* piece at age 5.)
Armani

Post by Armani »

Yes it’s possible. I was in my early 40s when I started. If you are motivated and willing to practice, you’ll be amazed what you can accomplish.
If anyone tells you that you cannot then that person is a hater. You should punch that person in the throat and avoid him. You don’t need negative influences like that in your life.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I learned to play bass guitar in my 30's and even played with a few garage/basement bands for a few years. It's definitely possible. I took private lessons from a nearby music school until the teacher moved away. After about 10 lessons my instructor told me to just look for amateur bands to join, playing with other people accelerates your learning.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
J295

Post by J295 »

If interested in a deeper dive on factors impacting learning (particularly neuro plasticity post age 25) visit Andrew Huberman podcast.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Someone here asked a similar question here about 4 years ago, but on what's probably a less-forgiving instrument: violin. They're still posting occasional updates, and they're definitely making good progress:

viewtopic.php?t=204779

Get a good teacher, and it's arguably even more important at the beginning so that you start building the right muscle memories, rather than ingrain bad habits that are hard to "unlearn" later.
dstring

Post by dstring »

Go for it! Others have shared a lot of thoughts and ideas. If you want to play a Spanish ballad, I suggest searching YouTube for "beginner Spanish ballad guitar lesson" (I'm sure the are many to choose from). Find a simple one that moves you and get started. If you're new to guitar, expect that it will be more difficult than you think. Don't be discouraged, you will succeed with perseverance!

I started 17 years ago at age 40 and currently play 8-10 hours a week. Guitar has been a huge blessing in my life.

Best wishes.

Dennis
MP173

Post by MP173 »

This thread motivated me to pickup my guitar (unplayed for months) and pick/strum - G,C,D. It felt great to do it again.

My fingers need to callous again.

Also picked up a keyboard last winter and started teaching myself to play that. Reading music and music theory has always intrigued me. Also have an electric bass in the basement. I tend to pickup an instrument each winter and try to play.

Go for it. If you enjoy it, keep doing it. If you dont enjoy it, move on to something else.

Ed
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

It’s definitely possible to learn guitar as an adult. As an early 40s guitar learner, I appreciate many good tips in this thread already.

As mentioned previously, Justin Guitar can provide a very good structure for a beginner to master the basics before branching out to more advance styles. It’s a good review to cover knowledge gap for self learner even if some of Justin’s lessons are easy.

Practice with metronome is a must for improvement, and record video of your playing is highly recommended to see your progress. Make time to practice daily. I mean every single day even if it’s just 15 minutes.

If your situation allows, getting a teacher is always preferable. Making adjustments according to instructions given by a teacher is so valuable and time saving. Another option is to get an online teacher via zoom and messenger chat (I currently enroll in this method).

Playing guitar is an enjoyable hobby. After three years of learning it, I start playing in my church choir. Last weekend I also filled in to play for a wedding mass. Learning guitar is a lifelong journey, and I plan to devote more time to this hobby in retirement.

Good luck with your guitar learning!
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

sabhen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:13 pm I like to to play the guitar. I am not the musical type. Would be great to play "Spanish Ballad" bu not knowing where to start. I like to take challenges. Any tips/suggestions are welcome.
I started learning to play the guitar five years ago in my late 30’s….30 minute lessons once a week for last five years. I can read sheet music and tablature. I can fingerstyle. I am a slow learner (aka - have a full time job and two kids) so I have complete Mel Bay Book 1 and about halfway through Mel Bay book 1B in that time. Having a teacher holds you accountable and keeps you on track. Lessons are about $97 a month because we get family discount since kids are in other instruments’ lessons there

prior experience - two years of piano at age 7-8.
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Why is anyone even questioning whether or not it’s possible to learn to play as an adult? Is there some sort of data that suggests that it’s far easier for children to learn instruments as compared to adults? I’m well aware that young children are exceptional language learners. Have never before heard any similar concept suggested when it comes to musical instruments.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

There are two different avenues here, that are quite different.

1) Guitar playing, typically chords, typically to accompany voice. For folk, rock bands, country blues, bluegrass etc.

2) Solo guitar playing, like Andres Segovia or Julian Bream, etc.

For 1, there are many teachers available, such as the previously mentioned Justin Guitar. You will want to learn to read tablature or "tab", and probably use a steel string acoustic or electric instrument.

For 2, you should expect to learn to read sheet music, and allow the fingernails of your left hand to grow a bit. You will need a guitar with nylon strings, and a small footstool. There is online content around, though not as much as for 1). For some easier music of this type for getting started, I liked simpler works of Fernando Sor (Etudes) very well. You can find many performances of Sor works on You Tube to see if it would appeal to you.