Cars, bikes, ebikes -- and the winter...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sizzlefuzz

Cars, bikes, ebikes -- and the winter...

Post by sizzlefuzz »

My beloved car, a 2008 Honda civic has "kicked it" recently with electrical issues, which when combined with the maintenance to keep it on the road with a sticker would be $2,200+. For the past few weeks I have had it parked in the driveway and walking/biking instead and occasionally borrowing my girlfriend's car for items that require it.

I took the step of visiting a car dealer last week to look at a new (or new to me, depending) car and it was a bit shocking. Inventory is still extremely low and prices are quite hight. The first vehicle I looked at (2018 Subaru Crosstrek was stickered for 29.5k).

My thought at this rate is to attempt to continue biking later into the year if I can swing it. Remote work during COVID is helping me as the only errands I really do during the week that require my bike are going to the jiu jitsu gym (so warm up is handled) or the occasional morning Starbucks trip.

Part of me is thinking about trying to make it "through the winter" without a car -- living in Maine, the road conditions are definitely a consideration but I have a good assortment of cold weather clothing from running/skiing and making it until spring seems doable.

Based on the past few years, we haven't been getting much snow in November/December with the bulk of it coming in January to early March, so really I'm looking at 10 weeks of "scraping through" -- I can see that it could lead to me making it to jiu jitsu less often, but it is a sacrifice I would be willing to make in the short-term. My idea is if I can make it through winter would be to get a fat tire ebike in spring once I have "proven myself" in the winter. Return to office is still a ways off so I'm not worried about having to be commuting to the office in the near term.

What do you think, am I nuts? (also, not opposed to the repairs on the 2008 car, but $2,200 to get it road ready + another 800ish to get my air conditioning restored seems like a band aid on a bullet wound) -- any car I buy would be planned to kept for ~10 years and wouldn't be overly "trimmed out".
Mid 30s | AA: 91/9 | Investing early & often
rob

Re: Cars, bikes, ebikes -- and the winter...

Post by rob »

A fat tire ebike will be far easier to ride in snow than a regular bike, so if you want to go that route I would do it.... although they are hard to find in stock also. If your going to get a car anyway, maybe just suck up the price bump since long term it's less of an issue.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Chip

Post by Chip »

sizzlefuzz wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 am What do you think, am I nuts?
Well, you are nicknamed Maine-iacs. :D

Only you can decide. But money you put into the Civic is not all wasted -- you'll get some of that back if/when you sell it.
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

You will be in great shape with the fat tire bike, but light yourself up. Watching my husband who commuted and rides a fat tire in the mountains in winter, I am amazed at the lack of lights on some people. A lot of bikers only have a front light, but if you are going to be hit, it will be from the side or from behind. Also, Clark Howard just answered a similar question about fixing a used car since new ones are new, used cars are so expensive and he said, just fix it.
AB609

Post by AB609 »

You didn't say much about your financial situation, but I would probably fix the car if it is in otherwise good shape and get an e-bike. On the car, I would probably get another mechanic to look at it. Electrical issues can me a whole range of things from a loose ground wire to a computer replacement. I wouldn't bother with fixing the A/C on a lightly used car that old in Maine. I bike year round but you have to realistic about the conditions and your safety during snow and ice storms.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

sizzlefuzz wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 am My beloved car, a 2008 Honda civic has "kicked it" recently with electrical issues, which when combined with the maintenance to keep it on the road with a sticker would be $2,200+. For the past few weeks I have had it parked in the driveway and walking/biking instead and occasionally borrowing my girlfriend's car for items that require it.

I took the step of visiting a car dealer last week to look at a new (or new to me, depending) car and it was a bit shocking. Inventory is still extremely low and prices are quite hight. The first vehicle I looked at (2018 Subaru Crosstrek was stickered for 29.5k).

My thought at this rate is to attempt to continue biking later into the year if I can swing it. Remote work during COVID is helping me as the only errands I really do during the week that require my bike are going to the jiu jitsu gym (so warm up is handled) or the occasional morning Starbucks trip.

Part of me is thinking about trying to make it "through the winter" without a car -- living in Maine, the road conditions are definitely a consideration but I have a good assortment of cold weather clothing from running/skiing and making it until spring seems doable.

Based on the past few years, we haven't been getting much snow in November/December with the bulk of it coming in January to early March, so really I'm looking at 10 weeks of "scraping through" -- I can see that it could lead to me making it to jiu jitsu less often, but it is a sacrifice I would be willing to make in the short-term. My idea is if I can make it through winter would be to get a fat tire ebike in spring once I have "proven myself" in the winter. Return to office is still a ways off so I'm not worried about having to be commuting to the office in the near term.

What do you think, am I nuts? (also, not opposed to the repairs on the 2008 car, but $2,200 to get it road ready + another 800ish to get my air conditioning restored seems like a band aid on a bullet wound) -- any car I buy would be planned to kept for ~10 years and wouldn't be overly "trimmed out".
If there's going to be much ice and snow, the wider tires the better. A true fat bike is probably best. E-bikes have come a long way and are really quite amazing and about the same price as a low-end fat bike. Their lower center of gravity really makes a difference too. For me, the main thing about biking in the winter is if there are safe routes. Snow gets plowed into bike lanes and shoulders, forcing bikers into the traffic lane, which is a drag for everyone. If you can find good routes I'd get a Rad Bike and enjoy it.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

I can’t speak to fat tire bikes, but studded winter bike tires are fabulous for cold-weather commuting. It’s not that they’re so great on snow- it’s that they’re great on ice. Truly remarkable.

There’s also that old saying - “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.” Winter cycling works fine with clothing that keeps you warm. Think ski gloves rather than bike gloves, and warm hiking boots or dedicated winter cycling shoes rather than the typically fashionable stuff.

Cyclist
(former 12-month bike commuter)
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

What exactly is included in this $2200 repair? For the AC, you're in Maine with winter approaching. You don't need AC until at least late June, so half a year from now. If that $2200 is for one big repair like a transmission rebuild, then it's understandable that this is sort of all or nothing. But if it's changing the cabin filter and shocks and spark plugs and such, those of us who do our own car repairs can certainly recommend skipping some of those things. I mean, if you got the number from a dealer, they're going to include absolutely everything. If you can repair the electrical problem for $200 and ignore everything else, just drive the car. Even tire replacement can cost less by looking on craigslist. I have very often found a set of tires on wheels for far less than a new set of tires because the previous owner had snow tires on wheels that don't fit on their new car, so they just want them out of the garage. You can look for the date code on the tire and buy a 75 cent tread gauge to get some idea how good they are. And yes, you can run snow tires year round. I do it on several of my cars without issue.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
sizzlefuzz

Post by sizzlefuzz »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:58 am What exactly is included in this $2200 repair?
Alternator, front tires, and something else that had to do with the suspension (tie rods I think)? The AC would be outside of the $2,200. The $2,200 was to get it "on the road" with an inspection sticker. I wouldn't do the AC until the spring if I did go with the repair.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

rob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:16 am A fat tire ebike will be far easier to ride in snow than a regular bike, so if you want to go that route I would do it.... although they are hard to find in stock also.
Maybe. When I road rode my bike to work in the snow, my skinny tire road bike was easiest because the narrow tire had to push/crush less snow to get to the hard pack underneath. The fat tire was the most difficult to ride in the snow as far as effort goes. This was before e-bikes which would do a lot of work for you and for themselves since e-bikes are significantly heavier. This above does not address balance and control
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

sizzlefuzz wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:58 am What exactly is included in this $2200 repair?
Alternator, front tires, and something else that had to do with the suspension (tie rods I think)? The AC would be outside of the $2,200. The $2,200 was to get it "on the road" with an inspection sticker. I wouldn't do the AC until the spring if I did go with the repair.
$2200 is very excessive for that...so that's clearly a dealership quote... an indy should be able to do it for (possibly) less than half: alternator- $250 plus install (say 1 hr shop charge), front tires- less than $400 even with balancing, tie rod ends: under $200 for parts plus two hr shop charge... but would also need an alignment- for an extra, say, $90

I would say that's the expectation I'd have; so that's $950 plus three hours of labor--- that ain't $2200 (and I'm being "generous" with the cost of parts as likely they'd be quite lower e.g. pricing out the alternator online gives me numbers between $140 and $160, unless it's the "high output" which I doubt you have, same case with tires and tie rod end).
Topic Author
sizzlefuzz

Post by sizzlefuzz »

Nestegg_User wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:22 pm
sizzlefuzz wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am
$2200 is very excessive for that...so that's clearly a dealership quote... an indy should be able to do it for (possibly) less than half: alternator- $250 plus install (say 1 hr shop charge), front tires- less than $400 even with balancing, tie rod ends: under $200 for parts plus two hr shop charge... but would also need an alignment- for an extra, say, $90

I would say that's the expectation I'd have; so that's $950 plus three hours of labor--- that ain't $2200 (and I'm being "generous" with the cost of parts as likely they'd be quite lower e.g. pricing out the alternator online gives me numbers between $140 and $160, unless it's the "high output" which I doubt you have, same case with tires and tie rod end).
I went to VIP/O'Reilly to get it looked at... I'll have to do some more research, I'm not super familiar with independent garages in the area. I appreciate your feedback.
AB609

Post by AB609 »

The alternator is any easy repair you can do yourself. You can borrow the tensioner tool you need from the auto parts place usually. Replace the belt while you have it apart. Check youtube for videos on it for your car.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:00 pm
rob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:16 am A fat tire ebike will be far easier to ride in snow than a regular bike, so if you want to go that route I would do it.... although they are hard to find in stock also.
Maybe. When I road rode my bike to work in the snow, my skinny tire road bike was easiest because the narrow tire had to push/crush less snow to get to the hard pack underneath. The fat tire was the most difficult to ride in the snow as far as effort goes. This was before e-bikes which would do a lot of work for you and for themselves since e-bikes are significantly heavier. This above does not address balance and control
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...

(just joshing, but that did give me a chuckle)
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

AB609 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:59 pm The alternator is any easy repair you can do yourself. You can borrow the tensioner tool you need from the auto parts place usually. Replace the belt while you have it apart. Check youtube for videos on it for your car.
AB609

I was assuming that the OP had a "limited" knowledge of repair and might not have the tools (yeah, I don't even do engine rebuilds anymore...had to in my "younger days"). Otherwise, it's not tremendously difficult to even do the tie rod ends (but oftentimes they can be a B***h to get off) and the alternator replacement is very easy (yeah, I'd replace the belt at the same time...but that's a small cost and most DIY'ers would do that). I'm also assuming standard shop time... and they don't generally give any breaks when doing more than one thing at a time... it doesn't take an hour for the alternator nor a full two for the suspension parts.

Just showing that, even with generous costs for parts, he's being gouged.

(and, I also rode my bike to w@rk at some earlier time, but rarely in winter since that was before "dirt bikes" and "fat tires"....had my panniers filled with my clothes for the day (had a shower available if needed)... riding in snow or ice wasn't gonna happen as even then I wasn't a Maine-iac :twisted: )
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

A fat bike would be a bad choice if I'm understanding your needs correctly. They're meant for floatation over deep snow, so they have very wide tires. As a result, they're heavy and inefficient on pavement, and not inherently better on icy pavement or slush than any other bike. Moreover they tend to be a niche product aimed at the relatively small market segment that wants to mountain bike in deep snow, so you'd be spending a lot more money for no benefit. A fat tire ebike would solve the problem of it not being any fun to ride on pavement, but there's really no use for a fat tire bike that isn't going to be off-road in snow or sand.

What you'd probably want is a relatively inexpensive bike that can take fenders, equipped with a set of studded 1-1.5" tires if you have a lot of ice to deal with.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Have bikes winters in Boston for many years. Very doable.

- don’t do fat tires. They’ll tire you out.
- Nokian makes excellent studded tires for mountain bikes. Use them. Two sets of wheels or a road bike for warmer days work well, but if you need to can commute on the studded tires even on dry days.
- Helmet mounted 300+ lumen light. Point it at cars to make them stop and not hit you.
- bright tail lights.
- if really cold they make little mittens that mount to your handlebar. They’re amazing.
- full fenders.

The above should cost less than $1000 at Performance/Nashbar/Amazon plus your local bike shop for the fenders mounted. Trust me, it’s worth it
langelgjm

Post by langelgjm »

I bike commuted almost daily for years, including winters in New Haven and Boston. The Boston commute was only 3 miles, but a long uphill slog for one section. I can't speak to e-bikes or fat tire bikes, but I echo the suggestion of studded tires. I rode a regular mountain bike with mountain tires until I hit a patch of black ice in a parking lot, fell, and really hurt my elbow. That's when I got the studded tires :oops:

Cold is easy to handle - thermal underwear, good gloves that go down past your coat's wrists, balaclava, etc. There were a few days when I thought about getting ski goggles or something, my face was so cold. I'd wear my parka hood over top of my helmet.

I had lights on the front, rear, helmet, and side lights that fit into the spokes. I always have a luggage rack so no need for rear fender, and I used a detachable front fender that mounts to the down tube (not great).

Not relevant for bikes or e-bikes, but when I used to motorcycle in the winter, I'd warm up my gloved hands at stoplights by reaching down to the clutch or transmission cover for heat (had heated handlebar grips, too, but still wasn't enough)!

Good luck!
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." - John Bogle | "If I am what I have and if what I have is lost, who then am I?" - Erich Fromm
Dagwood

Post by Dagwood »

I would get a second opinion and fix the car, including the AC. The AC isn’t just for hot weather, but also allows you to dehumidify the interior when it is wet and cold so your windows don’t fog up.

Repairing the car will give you a few years for the auto market to normalize.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

sizzlefuzz wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 am My beloved car, a 2008 Honda civic has "kicked it" recently with electrical issues, which when combined with the maintenance to keep it on the road with a sticker would be $2,200+. For the past few weeks I have had it parked in the driveway and walking/biking instead and occasionally borrowing my girlfriend's car for items that require it.

I would not feel safe on Maine roads in winter on a bicycle. Really wouldn't. (mind, I don't think Stephen King was hit and badly injured, as a pedestrian, in winter. So it's not just winter).

It's not you, it is who else is on the road and how inattentive they may be. An SUV drove straight over my uncle on a quiet residential street, at lowish speed. He did not live.

I'd patch up the car and see about a new one next year.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Catching up on deferred maintenance is part of owning an otherwise, good used car. As mentioned by others, look for an independently-owned shop with a good reputation.

The $2200 is just a few payments on the cost of a newer car that will not do more than the one you have. If you had been putting $150 a month in a car fund for several years, you would be glad to finally be spending some of it.

How much is your portfolio up this year? You knew something would happen to take some of those gains, you just didn't expect it to be your car repairman.

Riding a bike in snowy traffic is not dissimilar to the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain.
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

I think your idea is awesome, provided you take the proper safety precautions. I've been a bike commuter on and off over the years, and I've loved every minute of it.

The health and exercise benefits are fantastic.
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
TDwle

Post by TDwle »

I have a 2006 civic still running good with 140k miles I plan on keeping for at least another year because over its life it is a economical car to own.
How much will the bike cost to the cost of repair the car?
IMO

Post by IMO »

I have an ebike.

I'd rather own a POS commuting car than ride the bike to work or otherwise in the winter in a climate where one can get snow.

It's a lifestyle choice. I like saving money on things, but would rather get in a junker car, turn on the heat and drive it a few miles to work/groceries/appointments, etc than get all layered up when there is things like snow, wet slush, ice, etc to get on the ebike and save a few bucks.

But if works for you great, I'll try not to splash you with slush as I drive by :D
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Wings5 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:07 am I think your idea is awesome, provided you take the proper safety precautions. I've been a bike commuter on and off over the years, and I've loved every minute of it.

The health and exercise benefits are fantastic.

I think some cyclists can take all the proper precautions, but it still comes down to drivers. I commuted briefly by bike until I got taken out by a car (I was in a bike lane). Luckily I didn't have any lasting injuries and it only cost me about $500 in damages (phone broke, ripped clothes, had to see the dr). I mostly stick to trails now because taking the chance on the road isn't worth it for me.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

for the car issues you mention, I'd fix it if the body is fine and it has, say, less than 150K miles or so. Get a better price per the other comments here cause there's no way those items should cost that much for a 2008 Civic.

Then get your bike set up bought and dialed in while you have the running car as a backup through the winter. You absolutely should not go into winter assuming you'll be fine on a bike. A cold dark Maine Monday in January is a terrible time to feel like your back is against the wall and you gotta have a car.

A running/driving Civic with a decent body, new alternator and belt, new tires, etc. even with 150K miles, can get $5K all day without AC. You can sell it in the spring if you'd like to get your money back, no problem.

I'm a longtime bike commuter but I always hang it up in the winter. One of these days...
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

You say you're biking everywhere today & already own a bike--what do you own? I agree with others that a fat tire bike is more of a fun tool than practical way to get around, but curious what you already have. For the purposes you've listed for driving, I don't think considering getting by with just a bike is crazy at all, it just takes a small amount of preparation.

Personally, I ride an entry level aluminum road bike all winter in Chicago. I do have the backup option of public transit on the worst days, but it sounds like you the option to just stay home too. A few things I've learned that are useful:
  • If you're motivated enough, ideally wash your chain after every ride to reduce the wear and tear from all the grime and salt on the road
  • All natural shoes are the warmest, so I ride in a pair of all leather pull on ankle boots--my actual snow boots are way too warm except on the nastiest of days
  • Visibility wise, I really like the ProViz line of reflective jackets. I have the Reflect 360 cycling jacket. It's a heavy weight water proof material, so I stay pretty warm with that over a wool sweater most days
SciurusVulgaris

Post by SciurusVulgaris »

It's all fun and games until you get a flat on a -5F morning.

I enjoyed my time winter commuting on a bike. I'd suggested skins so you don't get the aforementioned flat. Be prepared for the flat - take gloves, and practice changing the tube on a cold day so you know how the rubber feels when it's cold and how quickly your hands freeze up while touching cold steel. After my first flat, I always brought an extra layer.

I'm at a similar latitude as Maine, in New England. My experimentation resulted in 2 inch studded tires on an old mountain bike as best for me. I use fenders since snowmelt is annoying. My second most common issue was cold feet, I eventually found that really thick wool socks with sneakers worked best. Careful when stopping on black ice, you shoes may have less grip than the studded tires, unless you put ice screws into your sneakers.

The most common issue was cars. Snowbanks narrow the roadway, cars honk and pass too closely, drivers yell out the window to buy a car. Even the town plow may pass too close. I eventually gave up riding when the snow accumulates.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

When we were going to the office pre-covid, I could bike up until mid to later December depending on the snow.

~3 miles one way. Sidewalks/bike paths. Fat Tire bike (Specialized Fatboy) non e-Bike with 2 panniers on the rack and full fenders. Tires at 12 PSI.

I've ridden down to -10F. Below zero with wind is pretty miserable. But, you layer and use bar mitts.

Doable for sure. What about just buying a cheaper used car?
xb7

Post by xb7 »

I think the decision to bike instead of drive in winter is dependent upon enough different variables that only you can decide what's best for you. I personally would eschew biking in snow, regardless of tire fatness, but ... that's me. One thing I didn't see mentioned in the comments thus far is anything about the particular route that you would end up biking for most typical trips. Is there a substantial bike lane? Does that bike lane get crap pushed into it a lot by cars --- or snowplows in winter perhaps? Is it illegal (and enforced?) to bike on sidewalks when you just have to ride on a busy street with no safe space for a bike? Are there a lot of quiet side streets that allow you to do most of your biking away from busy streets? That sort of thing.

There are a couple of big advantages to eBikes, again, that I don't think have been mentioned yet. One is that you can dress for the weather and not end up sweaty after 10 minutes, because if you have a decent eBike, you can choose in appropriate circumstances to let the bike do more of the work. For example, if I'm going in for a doctor or dental appointment, I'm not keen to choose between getting soaked with rain or come in dripping with sweat from my rain gear. With an eBike (and decent clothing), you can mitigate (not eliminate) that a lot.

The point in the first paragraph above about picking quiet side streets --- it's just easier to do this with an eBike. With a regular bike, I'm inclined to find the most direct and easy route. With an eBike I care a whole lot less about hills or extending the route somewhat, so I instead select traffic-minimal routes. It's not only safer, it's a lot more enjoyable.

My wife and I went to having just one car between us a year or two ago, and I knew that the first winter would be a big test --- I bought clothing specific to making the experience a more pleasant one and just figured that this is how I get around now. But where I live, we don't get snow that sticks around for long, at least not very often. So I deal with rain and cold, but not snow.

I also live in an area with more of an "outdoor culture", so while of course there are still unsafe and/or rude drivers, it might be that the odds are a little better where I am than in the average urban/suburban area.

Best of luck!
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

OP,
I’m a little late response this but I feel strongly that you should not bike commute.
One injury would be all it takes to eat up all your savings on commuting. Many crazy drivers even here in Montana. Bike paths are about all I will do these days. Yes I have taken the risk you are contemplating. As a physician I’m aware of many injuries some life threatening or fatal. Even with the best training you really can’t protect yourself from craziness. Some drivers think you shouldn’t be in their way and they will try to frighten you off the road. Bicycle vs. automobile, who do you think has the best chance of injury?
Maybe I’m old enough to know better. Risk is an interesting subject. Kind of like insurance, don’t risk a lot to save a little.
Respectfully HVAC
slicendice

Post by slicendice »

Hopefully you can find a decent independent garage. I agree with the other posters $2200 for that is nuts. A pair of new tires alone should not be much more than $200 on a honda civic. Is the car in otherwise decent mechanical condition? (rust not a major issue? less than 200,000 miles on the engine?).
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Bike? Snow? Skidding motor vehicles?

What could go wrong?

Okay, maybe it's because Richmond VA gets more ice and sleet than snow and even the snow immediately packs into ice on the roads. I won't walk in the street with moving cars if it's slick and I'm certainly not riding a bike there.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Repair the car.

I'm biased though, seeing as I am picking my 09 Rx up tomorrow from having $2500 worth of maintenance (tires; oil change; front struts; front brakes).