Best thank you gift for nursing group who helped me after surgery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jjunk

Best thank you gift for nursing group who helped me after surgery

Post by jjunk »

I'm only 47 but recently had a total hip replacement on my right hip. The surgery was supposed to be outpatient but I ended up needing three rapid response events over a 24hr period because my HR and BP dropped to dangerously low levels. I ended up with three days in the hospital I wasnt expecting unfortunately. Fortunately however, the nursing staff who helped me that day was excellent end to end. In fact, its probably not hyperbolic to say that one of them may have actually saved my life or kept me from having serious issues.

I'd like to do something for this group but I'm not sure what exactly. I know we have a lot of medical professionals on here and was hoping you might share some insight into what would make a good "thank you" gift for the team. Any help is appreciated.
camden

Re: Best thank you gift for nursing group who helped me after surgery

Post by camden »

jjunk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:31 pm the nursing staff who helped me that day was excellent end to end. In fact, its probably not hyperbolic to say that one of them may have actually saved my life or kept me from having serious issues.

Medical professional here. Any number of tangible possibilities exist, and I am sure you will get ideas from subsequent posters. But I would suggest that you communicate directly to the nursing staff in question, individually if possible, exactly what you have written above. That kind of feedback from a grateful patient is very rare, and worth its weight in gold. Other gifts may be eventually be forgotten, but not that one.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Honestly, a heartfelt thank you card with handwritten commentary usually means the most.

Next up is food, catering in a lunch or dinner can be the difference between eating real food and eating junk or nothing at all because folks are so busy.

Those get my vote :sharebeer
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I would also suggest a letter with their names to someone like head of nursing or even president's office. They'll route it where it needs to go, but it's nice if they are aware also, even if only in general. Mention which floor/service, e.g., "4th floor surgical" and perhaps also add room number.
I assume that they hear from patients more about complaints than kudos, etc.

This will probably go on their record, and might even get them some special type of recognition.)

And as mentioned, it will make each of them very happy.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
celia

Post by celia »

This is tough since you were probably seen by different groups: ER, OR, recovery, ICU, recovery floor, each of which was staffed by people on different shifts (for 24/7 coverage). Then these people have others helping them that you have not noticed, from pharmacy to housekeeping and office staff.

I’d suggest a healthy food item commercially packaged into individual snack sizes. It could be nuts, cheese sticks, or cookies. Just be sure there are lots of servings so it lasts more than one shift. (The night shift often is forgotten and the cafeteria is closed when they come in.) Something they can leave out in the open in an employee dining area or such.
AlwaysCold

Post by AlwaysCold »

First of all, I’m glad that you are okay. That sounds harrowing.

+1 on the other posters’ ideas.

Can I suggest that if you drop off something tangible like food that you split (and mark it) it into two, 1/2 for the day shift and 1/2 for the night shift? The night shift often gets the scraps of any gifts (if anything).

Individually wrapped items go over well. Things like a container of Lindt chocolates from Costco or a big box of chips with a note that says ‘Thanks for chipping in on my road to recovery’ would be well received.
Topic Author
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Thank you cards/notes are definitely something we're planning on doing. Nice to know these go a long way. Someone at my surgeons office suggested coffee (since we're in Seattle), so maybe I'll put together some gift cards with a physical card as well as a letter to the hospital at large. If there are any other suggestions, let me hear them! Thanks again!
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

jjunk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:14 pm Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Thank you cards/notes are definitely something we're planning on doing. Nice to know these go a long way. Someone at my surgeons office suggested coffee (since we're in Seattle), so maybe I'll put together some gift cards with a physical card as well as a letter to the hospital at large. If there are any other suggestions, let me hear them! Thanks again!
Taking a gift card from a patient at many hospitals, including where I work, will get you out on corrective action or terminated. Don’t put them in that situation.

A heartfelt note is always a good thing to receive.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

jjunk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:14 pm Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Thank you cards/notes are definitely something we're planning on doing. Nice to know these go a long way. Someone at my surgeons office suggested coffee (since we're in Seattle), so maybe I'll put together some gift cards with a physical card as well as a letter to the hospital at large. If there are any other suggestions, let me hear them! Thanks again!
This sounds great (not a healthcare worker myself, but as a patient I too have in the past sought for ways to express gratitude to caregivers). One suggestion I got, probably from someone here, was to consider including a donation to the hospital along with a letter detailing your excellent support team. Personally, I did not do that for a variety of reasons, but I thought it was a helpful suggestion (subject to one's ability to contribute financially, of course).

Wishing you a successful and full recovery. :happy
Topic Author
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 pm
Taking a gift card from a patient at many hospitals, including where I work, will get you out on corrective action or terminated. Don’t put them in that situation.

A heartfelt note is always a good thing to receive.
Thanks for calling this out, that never would have occurred to me. I'll start with the note :happy
squirm

Post by squirm »

I brought my med team cookies from a bakery after my surgery.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

A flower bouquet and/or edible arrangement delivered (ideally Personally handed out) to respective Nurse station could help too (in addition to card/notes suggestions).
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:52 pm I would also suggest a letter with their names to someone like head of nursing or even president's office. They'll route it where it needs to go, but it's nice if they are aware also, even if only in general. Mention which floor/service, e.g., "4th floor surgical" and perhaps also add room number.

This will probably go on their record, and might even get them some special type of recognition.)

RM
I vote for this suggestion.

Accompanied boxes of chocolates or tasty snacks would be nice. Bouquets of flowers may be easily forgotten since busy nurses, who sometimes don't have to eat properly, may appreciate an available quick bite.
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
Pau_Hana

Post by Pau_Hana »

Cards work the best (and especially so if given in person…seeing you use that shiny hip). :happy

If you do decide on a monetary item, keep it under $25 so that staff won’t get in hot water. But honestly, pharm reps bring in food and it’s appreciated (just the food…not the rep). If a patient did that, I would roll out the red carpet and kiss them in appreciation (figuratively…as to not get sued).

Medicine is not what it use to be and any patient who actually appreciates our care makes our day week…

And don’t forget anterior/posterior hip precautions.
Topic Author
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Pau_Hana wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:55 pm Cards work the best (and especially so if given in person…seeing you use that shiny hip). :happy

If you do decide on a monetary item, keep it under $25 so that staff won’t get in hot water. But honestly, pharm reps bring in food and it’s appreciated (just the food…not the rep). If a patient did that, I would roll out the red carpet and kiss them in appreciation (figuratively…as to not get sued).

Medicine is not what it use to be and any patient who actually appreciates our care makes our day week…

And don’t forget anterior/posterior hip precautions.
Thanks We're planning a trip back into the hospital once I can get around well enough to see everyone. Since it all took place over a 24hr period, I'll need to make a few trips to ensure I hit everyone on their shift. I'm very happy to make that small sacrifice though. Not sure what role you play in healthcare, but you get a big thank you from me irrespective of what you do. The entire industry has been through the ringer in the last 18mos and the tenacity and caring of the people in the industry is amazing to me. Especially when in my industry (tech) I still hear people complaining they're underpaid for their mid-six figure salaries.

And definitely paying attention to precautions. I had an anterior approach so luckily there arent many but wow do I wish they'd said more about how bad the bruising would be :shock:
skp

Post by skp »

My favorite gift as an ICU nurse. When you are well enough, bake your specialty, write a thank you note, and personally bring it in. We see the sickest of the sick and we love to see the success stories. It's what keeps us going (especially lately). Also I second the above comment to not forget the night shift.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:52 pm I would also suggest a letter with their names to someone like head of nursing or even president's office. They'll route it where it needs to go, but it's nice if they are aware also, even if only in general. Mention which floor/service, e.g., "4th floor surgical" and perhaps also add room number.

RM
Aside from the food aspect, and cards, this is probably the most fair and best way to say thank you. You do not need to know all the names involved in your care. Include the dates and times of your hospitalizations and bad episodes whereby you were saved. Administration can easily look up those involved.
Hopefully the administration will contact each person and extend your thanks. Nothing like management approaching a team member in person with kudos for such a good job. That of itself is rare.
Topic Author
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

skp wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:35 pm My favorite gift as an ICU nurse. When you are well enough, bake your specialty, write a thank you note, and personally bring it in. We see the sickest of the sick and we love to see the success stories. It's what keeps us going (especially lately). Also I second the above comment to not forget the night shift.
Thanks for this suggestion. I definitely wont forget the night shift as he had my scariest of the three events. He told me even they were worried because no one could figure out what was going wrong. But he helped me get the hospitalist and some other help which got me back on track and finally back home. While I dont bake, I know some amazing bakers in my area and am sure I can conjure up some goodies.

Many thanks again to everyone for these excellent suggestions. I was able to find all the nurses who helped with my care thanks to the notes in my MyChart. Using that we were able to find the right people in the hospital administration office and write a very long thank you to these folks as a starter. I still plan on thanking them each personally once I have the chance, so I like the ideas of baked good and handwritten notes.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Get vaccinated so they can eventually get home to their families and not be “obligated” to “volunteer” for shifts that are increasingly going understaffed for various reasons. (This is not a political statement and I’m not intending to be controversial).

Medical professionals that I have spoke with recently tell me they are all tired and fatigued and that staffing shortages are now getting ridiculously perilous and soon medical emergencies such as heart attacks and strokes may not get timely care.

Words or notes of gratitude are great. “Action is better” to help.

I’m glad OP got all the care needed in a timely manner, I hope every else does as well, but if what I’m being told is true then I’m grateful I don’t have a chronic medical condition.
Last edited by Xrayman69 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Xrayman69 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:51 pm Get vaccinated so they can eventually get home to their families and not be “obligated” to “volunteer” for shifts that are increasingly going understaffed for various reasons. (This is not a political statement and I’m not intending to be controversial).

Medical professionals that I have spoke with recently tell me they are all tired and fatigued and that staffing shortages are now getting ridiculously perilous and soon medical emergencies such as heart attacks and strokes may not get timely care.

I’m glad OP got all the care needed in a timely manner, I hope every else does as well, but if what I’m being told is true then I’m grateful I don’t have a chronic medical condition.
Was that a typo or Freudian slip?

:twisted:

RM

[It was a typo. Corrected — mod oldcomputerguy]
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:55 pm
Xrayman69 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:51 pm Get vaccinated so they can eventually get home to their families and not be “obligated” to “volunteer” for shifts that are increasingly going understaffed for various reasons. (This is not a political statement and I’m not intending to be controversial).

Was that a typo or Freudian slip?

:twisted:

RM

Typo. Sorry. This has been edited.
Topic Author
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Not that I think you were calling me out specifically with this, but FWIW we've been vaccinated from the moment we were eligible. Looking forward to getting a booster now (assuming they're approved for all population at some point). Still a great reminder for everyone to do their part and help the global community and public health. :sharebeer
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

As mentioned by others -

Notes to Hospital Admin and the nursing unit(s) nurse manager(s). Name names where you can, but also broadly (Nancy Nurse did this wonderful job spotting the problem early, but every one was nice, the room was spotless, etc).

Gift to the unit that is reasonably healthy (fruit?) - but remember that you probably had care from different shifts. Trust me. You can't rely on what was delivered on day shift will make it to night shift. You could deliver items specifically labeled for a different shift, or deliver at different times. Unfortunately, someone who gave you care will miss out because they weren't there when goods were delivered.

Yes - what about ancillary services? PT especially, did you also see people from Respiratory? Their bosses also like hearing about superlative performance.

Glad you're on the road to recovery!
itsf8

Post by itsf8 »

Glad you are well.
Remember to also remember the support staff (aides, cleaning crew, etc) if they were kind, are very underpaid, also work long hours, and are often forgotten. This, of course, applies to many other industries as well.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I’ve had several patients over the years bring me a bottle of wine as a thank you. Always very exciting to get one of those.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

I would say thank you card and alcohol would be best.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Blue456 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:12 pm I would say thank you card and alcohol would be best.
I always worry about gifting alcohol to someone I don't know "well enough".
Might they object for religious reasons? Do they have "problems" with alcohol?

When we had vacation rental cabins, for any festive events (holidays, personal celebrations), we always left a few bottles of sparkling cider instead (unless it was a returning guest and we knew alcohol wasn't inappropriate).

RM
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

a letter to the president of the organization would be my vote. include the names (or at least the day/times that you were there).
ask for the hospital before you donate money or gift cards.
Topic Author
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just wanted to give a quick update on this thread. I'd written the hospital administration last week and listed the names of the people who'd helped me throughout that particular night (as well as the support staff as someone else called out above). I just heard back from the hospital that each of the staff is being given a special recognition certificate for my letter. In addition, the hospital has a program which allows each individual to pick something of their choosing from a catalog of gifts as an additional thank you.

We are still going to try and do something more personal (if permissible, still waiting to hear) but I'm very glad to know these individuals will get the recognition I feel they deserve. Many thanks again to everyone here for the suggestions, it was a very scary experience and I feel very lucky to have had the care I did. Now I just need to learn to walk again :beer
camden

Post by camden »

Best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery. And thanks for your desire to demonstrate gratitude to those who helped you during your difficult and dangerous time, and following through. You’d be surprised how rare that is for folks to do that.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Many years ago I went to the ER for something that ended up not being serious. While a long and tedious day, the staff was very nice. I sent an email thanking them and got a very nice response. Sometimes a simple written thank you can really make someone's day.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.