U.S. Winter Adventure Trip Recommendations - Warm(ish) weather

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

U.S. Winter Adventure Trip Recommendations - Warm(ish) weather

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm thinking about taking a 5-6 day adventure trip this winter. What I'm looking for is:

- something in the continental U.S.
- something safe-ish but where I'm pushed physically and mentally
- I enjoy mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, surfing, stand up paddleboarding, boating
- preferably no snow
- camping in a national or state park would be a plus

Any recommendations?
Watty

Re: U.S. Winter Adventure Trip Recommendations - Warm(ish) weather

Post by Watty »

What part of the country do you live in?

For a 5 or 6 day trip minimizing travel time will be important.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Grand Canyon National Park. It will be freezing at 7,000 to 8,500 elevation, but if you do something along the river it will be "Warm(ish)."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Watty wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:04 pm What part of the country do you live in?

For a 5 or 6 day trip minimizing travel time will be important.
Southeast. I could possibly add a day or two to travel out West
livesoft wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:05 pm Grand Canyon National Park. It will be freezing at 7,000 to 8,500 elevation, but if you do something along the river it will be "Warm(ish)."
I love the Grand Canyon. I only had 1 night and 1 day there, but hiked down to the river and back up from the South Rim and was blown away. I still have my Yaktrax from that trip bu if I went in January or February I'm guessing I may want/need some additional snow gear like boots.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I've never had to use boots in snow, but I am not you. I do fine with my trail runners and gaiters. I do use microspikes though which are a step up from YakTrax.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Tucson
- urban bike trails
- Saguaro National Park, Catalina St Pk, Chiricaua's, Mt Lemmon for hiking & backpacking
- kayaking ... Patagonia Lake.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

livesoft wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm I've never had to use boots in snow, but I am not you. I do fine with my trail runners and gaiters. I do use microspikes though which are a step up from YakTrax.
Good to know, thanks. I'd prefer trail runners over boots, would just need to get some waterproof ones
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 pmGood to know, thanks. I'd prefer trail runners over boots, would just need to get some waterproof ones
I never used waterproof shoes because they do not dry out after crossing a winter stream with snow on both banks. I just walk through such creeks and get wet especially if I fall in. One can use SealSkinz socks or plastic bags, but even while those are better than waterproof shoes, one's feet will still get wet. One just wants wet feet that stay warm while squishing water out while on the move.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:01 pm I'm thinking about taking a 5-6 day adventure trip this winter. What I'm looking for is:

- something in the continental U.S.
- something safe-ish but where I'm pushed physically and mentally
- I enjoy mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, surfing, stand up paddleboarding, boating
- preferably no snow
- camping in a national or state park would be a plus

Any recommendations?
Winter? Like Nov or Feb?

- Key West
- NW Arkansas
- San Diego
- Asheville
Time is the ultimate currency.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

MJS wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:48 pm Tucson
- urban bike trails
- Saguaro National Park, Catalina St Pk, Chiricaua's, Mt Lemmon for hiking & backpacking
- kayaking ... Patagonia Lake.
+1 on Tucson, AZ.

Alamogordo, NM area could be a good choice, too. Oliver Lee Memorial State Park is a wonderful, low-key gem.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

In January of 2022, I plan to spend a week in Death Valley. (I'll be doing this with a group, since my days of hiking solo are over.)
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks all. I'm adding Tucson, Southern California and FL to the list as well.
H-Town wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:03 pm
Winter? Like Nov or Feb?
Jan or Feb
mhc

Post by mhc »

Big Bend NP in west Texas.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

ThankYouJack wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:28 am Thanks all. I'm adding Tucson, Southern California and FL to the list as well.
Winter? Like Nov or Feb?
Jan or Feb
I know you said continental U.S., but Jan or Feb is perfect time for a trip to New Zealand.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

H-Town wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:55 am
ThankYouJack wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:28 am Thanks all. I'm adding Tucson, Southern California and FL to the list as well.
Winter? Like Nov or Feb?
Jan or Feb
I know you said continental U.S., but Jan or Feb is perfect time for a trip to New Zealand.
Would love to get there someday but since I have less than a week to travel and due to the pandemic, I'll be staying within the lower 48 for this trip.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Have you ever gone on some of the canoe trails or trips in the Everglades? That should be closer to you and is quite an experience.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

pezblanco wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:34 pm Have you ever gone on some of the canoe trails or trips in the Everglades? That should be closer to you and is quite an experience.
Yep! Putting our canoe in, we saw a big crocodile but unfortunately didn't see any alligators or crocodiles paddling after that. We saw plenty hiking one of the main trails after we paddled for a couple hours. We also saw a guy from Texas wrestling an alligator on the side of the road just after leaving the park. Seemed cruel to the animal and definitely not recommended.
Slackergirl

Post by Slackergirl »

Have you considered a longish bike trip on a rails to trails type of trail? For example, the GAP trail is 150 miles, totally off road, and goes from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, Maryland. The GAP would be too cold in the winter but I’m just suggesting it as an example. Ride during the day, stay at hotels at night, eat at restaurants along the way. The distance you choose could fulfill the challenging part. Rails to Trails has a Facebook page you could ask for suggestions on if you were interested in an area of the country but not sure what is available.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

H-Town wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:55 am
Winter? Like Nov or Feb?
Jan or Feb
NZ is only ~25% vaccinated.
https://covid19.govt.nz/travel/internat ... w-zealand/

Who can travel to NZ

The New Zealand borders are closed to almost all travellers to help stop the spread of COVID-19. The travel restrictions apply to all arrivals into New Zealand by air or sea.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Slackergirl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:08 pm Have you considered a longish bike trip on a rails to trails type of trail? For example, the GAP trail is 150 miles, totally off road, and goes from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, Maryland. The GAP would be too cold in the winter but I’m just suggesting it as an example. Ride during the day, stay at hotels at night, eat at restaurants along the way. The distance you choose could fulfill the challenging part. Rails to Trails has a Facebook page you could ask for suggestions on if you were interested in an area of the country but not sure what is available.
That would be fun. I've considered doing a bikepacking trip but have yet to try it. Maybe I will this year.