Grass Seed Recommendations---Fescue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
archiehr

Grass Seed Recommendations---Fescue

Post by archiehr »

Hi,

I plan to reseed parts of my lawn this fall. I moved into a new construction home about a year ago. The previously planted grass was fescue and there are a few dirt patches. Any recommendations on seed brands for tall fescue? Thanks for your help.
carolinaman

Re: Grass Seed Recommendations---Fescue

Post by carolinaman »

Leesco Tall Fescue is what the pros use here in NC. Very high quality with a price to match. About $170 for 50 lb bag. An alternative to that is Rebel Tall Fescue. I just bought a 20 lb bag for $38 which covers 5,000 sqft.

The grass seed you need is highly dependent on where you live. If it previously had tall fescue then overseeding with tall fescue is probably a good choice. In our hot and humid climate, tall fescue is green most of the year. It tends to go dormant in July/August due to heat and humidity, but bounces back quickly in the fall.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I have also used Rebel on small repair i sections. The key, of course is good prep. If all you are going to do is scatter seed on bare patches then any seed will do - most won’t germinate anyway.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I wouldn't worry too much about brand, but I do buy certified seed. I look at the certification label to make sure the germination rate is high and the weed contamination rate is low.

Most states have a university affiliated agricultural extension office (as in an extension of the USDA) that provides information on a wide variety of agriculture related topics, including turf care.

You can probably find good, locally relevant recommendations for general species and maybe even some popular cultivars from your state's extension office, or a neighboring state with a similar climate.

You will probably also find that if you look at the grass seed for sale at local stores, it is already similar to the types recommended by the extension office.

Dirt patches can be due to poor seed choice. For example, fescues tend to be fairly shade and drought tolerant, but not wear tolerant so they're not great for high traffic areas. They also have a bunch-like growth pattern, and over several years may progress to a patchy pattern if growing conditions are not ideal. In climates where fescue is used, perrenial ryegrass or bluegrass are likely to be recommended for an even, moderate to high traffic lawn. Mixes of these are really popular in cool climates.

If you are having bare patches show up after only a year, however, the main problem is not the seed. It's probably your builder.

It's very common for builders to grade a property, as is needed for the construction, but do little to nothing to make up for the fact that the topsoil ends up buried in the subsoil or moved offsite.

I've seen sod that even several years later can be rolled up again because it was rolled out directly on top of clay, and the roots never penetrated. I've seen lots of cases where a thin layer (1-2 inches) of compost-based top soil was spread on top of clay and seeded or sodded. From the beginning, there was not enough depth for healthy roots and good water retention, and it gets worse as the compost breaks down if the continuing root growth and clippings don't keep up with the older organic material decaying (bagging the grass can exacerbate this). It also seems common that a light dose of starter fertilizer is added that keeps the grass green the first year if watered well enough, but immediately needs follow up with a slow release fertilizer.

A lot of such lawns should have received either a thicker layer of top soil (4-6 inches) or moderate layer of compost (2-3 inches) tilled into the bare subsoil or clay that usually remains after grading.

If your lawn is in bad enough condition, it might be necessary to do from the start what the builder did not do.

If it's patchy but mostly growing ok, you can probably top-dress it with more topsoil or compost. I saw improvement in some bad areas of my lawn after top-dressing with 1/2" or so of a manure and sawdust compost, raking to pull some of the existing grass up through the compost, and overseeding to help fill the grass back in. It's need more and I'm going to do a couple more cycles of this each spring. Also, aerating a couple weeks before each compost addition, or in the fall when the grass is not stressed by heat or drought, helps mix the organic material deeper in the soil to encourage deeper root growth.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Do you have a SiteOne near you? If so, they sell commercial grade seed/fertilizer for the same or cheaper than big box stores.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I seeded last year and this year with Titan TLC, a fescue blend. I've been happy with the color and texture and it seems to have done well in sun and shade. Supposedly it has rhizomes that will allow it to spread. That would be nice, but I really haven't seen it. At least I haven't seen anything like what my centipede lawn did when I lived in the south.
drk

Post by drk »

This will depend on your zone. Consult your local extension office for recommendations, stop into a local garden center (i.e. not a big-box store), or give Seed Superstore's recommendation tool a whirl to get a feel for viable options.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Tractor Supply sell 50 lb bags of Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue for about $70. I have never tried it. I've also noticed lately that a lot of seed is coated. That means you get 1/2 seed and 1/2 coating by weight. Does coated seed germinate that much better? It sure costs more.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

You didn't say where you live. Recommendations are different for Florida and Minnesota.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

pshonore wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:08 pm Tractor Supply sell 50 lb bags of Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue for about $70. I have never tried it. I've also noticed lately that a lot of seed is coated. That means you get 1/2 seed and 1/2 coating by weight. Does coated seed germinate that much better? It sure costs more.
In the appropriate temperature range, and given sufficient moisture, it will not germinate better.

The claimed benefit of the coating is it helps retain moisture so you don't have to be as diligent about keeping the ground wet to get a good germination rate. I haven't tried coated seeds to see how much less water you can get away with. Intuitively, it just seems to me that doubling the bulk of the seed doesn't provide a significant increase in water volume.

I do know that if I notice the ground start to look dry after seeding, and give it a quick sprinkle from a garden hose with a shower nozzle periodically, I get reliable sprouting in 7-10 days with uncoated seeds.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:51 pm
pshonore wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:08 pm Tractor Supply sell 50 lb bags of Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue for about $70. I have never tried it. I've also noticed lately that a lot of seed is coated. That means you get 1/2 seed and 1/2 coating by weight. Does coated seed germinate that much better? It sure costs more.
In the appropriate temperature range, and given sufficient moisture, it will not germinate better.

The claimed benefit of the coating is it helps retain moisture so you don't have to be as diligent about keeping the ground wet to get a good germination rate. I haven't tried coated seeds to see how much less water you can get away with. Intuitively, it just seems to me that doubling the bulk of the seed doesn't provide a significant increase in water volume.

I do know that if I notice the ground start to look dry after seeding, and give it a quick sprinkle from a garden hose with a shower nozzle periodically, I get reliable sprouting in 7-10 days with uncoated seeds.
Most of the small quantities in big box stores are coated based on what I've seen. My turf guy uses un-coated but he gets bulk from Southern States, I think. When we did our lawn (30,000 sf of grass) it was un-coated but also he used a seeder so much of the seed was put into the ground rather than broadcast on the surface. He is going to overseed in the back next week but I will run sprinklers every day if it doesn't rain. In my area, whatever doesn't germinate in the fall will probably germinate in the spring when the ground warms up - especially any seed underground which is protected from washing away.

A lot of people here seed in the fall and simply leave it to mother nature -- if it rains, it sprouts. If not, it sprouts in the spring.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
chazas

Post by chazas »

I buy my TTTF from The Hogan Company in Tennessee. Call them, they’re very nice and they’ll advise you on what is best for your situation. Very high quality seed, no weed or other crop seeds, which are in all the big box mixes. And in the TTTF sold at my local SiteOne, I was shocked to find.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Kentucky 31 basically field grass, I would never put it in my lawn.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

delete
Last edited by kimura king on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkc

Post by mkc »

chazas wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:55 pm
Kentucky 31 basically field grass, I would never put it in my lawn.
^ This ^

It isn't appropriate for a lawn. You can tell who's used it because it's a pale green with a yellow tinge. Look for a blend of fescues with no weed or crop content.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

chazas wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:55 pm I buy my TTTF from The Hogan Company in Tennessee. Call them, they’re very nice and they’ll advise you on what is best for your situation. Very high quality seed, no weed or other crop seeds, which are in all the big box mixes. And in the TTTF sold at my local SiteOne, I was shocked to find.
Don't forget to DYA. This is a finance forum, not a turf management group. For example:

It's possible the OP was talking about other fescue varieties, but since this sounds like it is general lawn use. I expect you are right that they currently have a turf type tall fescue (TTTF).
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

OP, you can also post your question on The Lawn Forum

https://thelawnforum.com/viewforum.php?f=9
My signature has been deleted.
kabob

Post by kabob »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:37 pm Leesco Tall Fescue is what the pros use here in NC. Very high quality with a price to match. About $170 for 50 lb bag...

The grass seed you need is highly dependent on where you live. If it previously had tall fescue then overseeding with tall fescue is probably a good choice...
+1 for Lesco Tall Fescue - here's a pic and example!
Lesco's TTTF is Definitely a Nice Tall Fescue(High germination rate)
And location "Is" important! I'm in Tenn, bout 25 miles south a Knoxville, and Green All Yr round!
A good area for Tall Fescue.

And just for info - Not all Tall Fescue's are created equal, Tall Fescue's origin is in Pasture grasses(clumpy, non spreadin, rude and thick bladed). TTTF (TurfTypeTallFescue) is a refined developed hybrid for large recreation/sport & lawn areas, easy to grow, takes treadwear well and has a finer bladed, shorter, nicer appearance - when compared to the basic KY 31 TF clump pasture grass tall fescue.
Lesco has 2 basic (TTTF) Tall fescues, Lesco Pro Transition(contractorGrade) and Lesco Pro Select(the SelectStuff, a little finer bladed) - Both Grow and germinate Well and look Nice!
The Bad part, Fescue doesn't spread or repair itself well - does require periodic reseed/overseeding. I overseed bout every 2 yrs( aerate & overseed is very inexpensive in my area, there''s lottsa tall fescue lawns in the mid southeast)

And that price a $170 per 50lb is WayHi (!!!) - Dont get it from big BigBox retail stealers (suppliers)! I get an extra big bag( 50-80Lb) from my basic lawnservice(fertilizer/weed/insect control service) for less than half that. Or one can catch good TTTF seed on sale for bout a dollar per lb by an keepin a eye out.

( And a sprinkler sys Definitely Helps! plus increases one's property value - Who doesn't like a property with a Nice Lawn! {and that's hard to do without a sprinkler sys }
Last edited by kabob on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you really want whatever seed you finally decide on to take root, rent a slicer or slit-seeder at your local tool rental. This cuts small grooves in the lawn and the seed then falls into the grooves and has a much better chance to germinate. I did this to get my lawn established in year 2 after a new construction situation similar to what you describe.
Topic Author
archiehr

Post by archiehr »

Thanks for all the replies. This forum is always very helpful.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

kabob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:22 am The Bad part, Fescue doesn't spread or repair itself well - does require periodic reseed/overseading. I overseed bout every 2 yrs( aerate & overseed is very inexpensive in my area, there''s lottsa tall fescue lawns in the mid southeast)
About the same here depending on conditions. I have not needed to reseed my front but back get thin easily; need to add organic matter in back.

Fescue is quite vulnerable to brown patch in my area as well. Not sure if any resistant TTTF is available or in development.
kabob

Post by kabob »

And depending on your location - Now is a Good time to sow/reseed/overseed/repair Tall Fescue.
I just had the LawnService aerate & overseed the lawn Last Tues (sept 21st), rather let the lawnservice determine the exact date to do the aerate/overseed as they're Good at it! ( and do a lotta the nicer laws in my area plus have Nice equiptment for the job. I only takes em bout an hour to to do my 8000sqft greenlawn. They have a real nice aerator that pokes up to 4-6" holes, pulls up little dogpoop lookin cylinders of soil, while spreadin seed and/or spraying fert at the SameTime. It does a Great job - and they're good at timing the weather.
That Aeroation and Seeding at the sametime with simultaneous onestep process/equiptment has been givin the best result per lawn seed i've ever had.

The average moderate freeze per my area code 37774 is ~Oct 24th. Tall fescue is a cool season grass, takes Freeze with little to no effect if sprouted up well at all and will be unaffected by moderate freeze.
And that Lesco comes up/germinates Fast! 3-7days one should be seein/gettin good results - that's with a sprinkler sys with 3 short starts per day just enough to keep the seed moist and not dryin out.
In our area mid Sept thru mid Oct is prime time for seedin Tall Fescue round here...

And it's not uncommon to see new spots popin up thru Thanksgiving or later, and havin to mow thruout the winter anytime there's a few days of 50-60 degree temps...
Another bad thing bout Tall Fescue - it Does have to be mowed more than most grasses...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

kabob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 am The average moderate freeze per my area code 37774 is ~Oct 24th. Tall fescue is a cool season grass, takes Freeze with little to no effect if sprouted up well at all and will be unaffected by moderate freeze.
About the same here. Roots will continue to grow as long as the ground isn't frozen. So an early freeze isn't a big deal. Some years we have had mowing still going into December
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

For agriculture (and home related matters), there's no substitute for searching up appropriate extension information/bulletins from the state land grant university. (Actually, some states have more than one land grant university, as I've learned relatively recently.)

So, the google search would be: site:edu extension grass UNIVERSITYNAME

The "site:" modifier makes sure you go to an academic institution, and the word "extension" makes sure you go to the folks who work for us (our tax money at work), and UNIVERSITYNAME leads to information from your state's extension service/faculty, due to geographical factors, or use a state nearby.

I'm in PA, so I'd put into google: site:edu extension grass pennstate, and then go from there.

It is time to plant grass, which reminds me about the need to really work on my side yard, get the weeds out and lay down some grass. Guess I should eat my own cooking instead of just going to Lowe's and buying what's there!
kabob

Post by kabob »

jebmke wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:58 am Fescue is quite vulnerable to brown patch in my area as well. Not sure if any resistant TTTF is available or in development.
Yes it is quite vulnerable, TTTF is better at that than good ole KY31.
Funguside, 3 treatments thruout hotest months (june,july aug) works well per prevention, and adds very little cost to basic service if included in yearly prepaid service - and worth it!
I used to usually include Funguside in yrly contract...
Till- I got this little 7ft BoomSprayer!
Oh Yea! I got that BrownPatch & related, Plus I got that invading Burmuda (that surrounds me) totally under control! It's that Burmuda grass invasion, plus the HiCost of InAffective lawnservice treatments of selective Burmudagrass herbicide that drove to get my own little BoomSprayer!
Yowsa, Wowsa, does this little boom sprayer work well, quick & easy, effective, and I have have a nice accessable basement area under the house ideal for lawn & gardening - so I got that little boomsprayer from RuralKing on sale (for far less than 1yr of selective Burmudagrass killer treatments)
Fuslilate2 & TurflonEster just eliminates Burmudagrass from Tall fescue And Funguside can be added to the mix also! Hey, that Nice Thick Tall Fescue pic posted above doesnt get that that way without a little DIY help... 3 treatments a yr of selective herbicide & funguside keep me Lookin Good. No problem!
Am retired, not Tired!, it's always satisfyng to do a good job yourself...

An Yes, your local state university is a Great help - I got my recipe for Burmudagrass control from a UT (University of Tenn) article - the "Locals" just say It dont work and cant be done - hummm, Sure works for me...
chazas

Post by chazas »

kabob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:29 am
jebmke wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:58 am Fescue is quite vulnerable to brown patch in my area as well. Not sure if any resistant TTTF is available or in development.
Yes it is quite vulnerable, TTTF is better at that than good ole KY31.
Funguside, 3 treatments thruout hotest months (june,july aug) works well per prevention, and adds very little cost to basic service if included in yearly prepaid service - and worth it!
I used to usually include Funguside in yrly contract...
Till- I got this little 7ft BoomSprayer!
Oh Yea! I got that BrownPatch & related, Plus I got that invading Burmuda (that surrounds me) totally under control! It's that Burmuda grass invasion, plus the HiCost of InAffective lawnservice treatments of selective Burmudagrass herbicide that drove to get my own little BoomSprayer!
Yowsa, Wowsa, does this little boom sprayer work well, quick & easy, effective, and I have have a nice accessable basement area under the house ideal for lawn & gardening - so I got that little boomsprayer from RuralKing on sale (for far less than 1yr of selective Burmudagrass killer treatments)
Fuslilate2 & TurflonEster just eliminates Burmudagrass from Tall fescue And Funguside can be added to the mix also! Hey, that Nice Thick Tall Fescue pic posted above doesnt get that that way without a little DIY help... 3 treatments a yr of selective herbicide & funguside keep me Lookin Good. No problem!
Am retired, not Tired!, it's always satisfyng to do a good job yourself...

An Yes, your local state university is a Great help - I got my recipe for Burmudagrass control from a UT (University of Tenn) article - the "Locals" just say It dont work and cant be done - hummm, Sure works for me...
How do you control your Bermuda? I used spot Tenacity treatments the first year I moved into my house. Then switched to Pylex plus triclopyr. I does kill Bermuda but TBH it also kills fescue leaving big bald patches to reseed. Also the spot spraying is leaving too much. Next year I think I’m going to an overall Pylex spray.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Our issue is wiregrass which may be a type of Bermuda. Has to be nuked. Nothing controls it. Chem applications are heavily regulated in my area due to proximity to Chesapeake Bay. I don't do much of my own treatment -- if I make a mistake it could be expensive if they detect it in the water along our property.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

archiehr wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:31 pm Hi,

I plan to reseed parts of my lawn this fall. I moved into a new construction home about a year ago. The previously planted grass was fescue and there are a few dirt patches. Any recommendations on seed brands for tall fescue? Thanks for your help.
Take this for what it is worth from a non-expert (I'm just a bozo on this bus....)

We have a mostly shaded lawn in Western MA. The Univ. of Mass. extension service publishes a guide of what grasses are optimal for various types of lawns in my region- you may have some similar service near where you live https://ag.umass.edu/turf/fact-sheets/s ... of-grasses If you are looking for tall fescue I would guess you have a lot of shade as well.

Based on this, I chose Scott's Turf Builder Sun and Shade grass mix- blend of mostly fine fescue with some ryegrass and shade tolerant K. bluegrass.

I planted during the first week of September, watered every day it didn't rain, and so far so good....the lawn looks pretty lush though there are a bunch of small bare patches, which might be attributed to irregular seeding or maybe that's just what happens, I don't know.

I also used Scott's Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass when I planted the lawn, and covered the seed with a thin layer of soil.

fwiw, before breaking down and planting grass I tried several lawn substitutes over the past number of years (moss, microclover, ajuga, creeping jenny...) Nothing else worked. The only thing that seemed to grow there was weeds.

I suppose time will tell whether the lawn survives, but so far, 3 weeks post planting, it looks good.
edge

Post by edge »

I’ve always found that with some minor prep that bare seed does much better then the coated stuff.
iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:51 pm

aardvark62

Post by aardvark62 »

+1 for Titan TLC, a turf-type fescue blend. It has rhizomes and will slowly spread to fill in bare patches or dog pee spots. I'm in Zone 7 with >100 F summers.

Not all fescues are equal. As others have stated, Kentucky 31 is not that great for lawns. It's an old formulation (University of Kentucky 1931) with really fat blades.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

You reseed an entire lawn so things blend.

Fescue has dozens if varieties and each have their own characteristics, colors and benefits. Location matters a lot.

Newer varieties also have self healing properties similar to bluegrass

1. 5 Star Brand is excellent and can be bought online at do my own.
2. Titan RX is excellent as well. Available many places online.

You may want to head to the cool season forum over at lawn forum and you'll get more answers.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

protagonist wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:48 am

Take this for what it is worth from a non-expert (I'm just a bozo on this bus....)

We have a mostly shaded lawn in Western MA. The Univ. of Mass. extension service publishes a guide of what grasses are optimal for various types of lawns in my region- you may have some similar service near where you live https://ag.umass.edu/turf/fact-sheets/s ... of-grasses If you are looking for tall fescue I would guess you have a lot of shade as well.

Based on this, I chose Scott's Turf Builder Sun and Shade grass mix- blend of mostly fine fescue with some ryegrass and shade tolerant K. bluegrass.
Excellent blend for MA. But would be terrible for anyone south of the mason-dixon line unless in the higher elevations.

Fine fescue which is different than tall fescue will burn up quickly in zones 8 and higher. It really doesn't do well in the sun in zone 6 and 7 either.

Ryegrass will not survive summers zone 8 and higher. In fact, after about 80 degrees it will start to die and thin.

KBG - Excellent in the sun. Shade tolerant varieties still need sufficient sun 4 to 6 hours to survive.
swr

Post by swr »

I have had good luck with Black Beauty made by Jonathan Green in the north east; there has been poor growing conditions this summer in the Pacific northwest where most of the grass seed is produced; this has significantly affected the grass seed harvest. Prices will be increasing if they have not already.
Don't forget to use starter fertilize and get a pH test to see if lime is required.