Ford Lightning: What's the status? UPDATED 12/21/2021

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IMO

Ford Lightning: What's the status? UPDATED 12/21/2021

Post by IMO »

We have put a reservation to consider this as our next vehicle.

Anyone in the know about what the status of things are/more details? (Date stamping this for 9/23/2021).

I even need to know things like overall length of truck (if it will fit in garage or not)....

Thought I'd post an update 12/21/2021

Got the following email from Ford:

Orders start at the beginning of the new year, and because of unprecedented interest, we’ll be sending invitations to order at staggered times.
]
Now, this kind of demand means many of you won’t get a 2022 F‑150 Lightning™ truck, but rest assured we will hold your reservation so you’ll have a chance to order a future model year.

We’ll stay in touch with you throughout this process and let you know when we’re sold out of the 2022 model. We’d hate for you to cancel your reservation, but if you do, you’ll get a full refund from your dealer.
Last edited by IMO on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lthenderson

Re: Ford Lightning: What's the status? 9/23/2021

Post by lthenderson »

It is the same body dimensions as the conventional truck which are readily available.

But here are some specs that I found published.

https://www.steeda.com/2022-f150-lightning-specs
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I would have grave concerns about buying it. The range with the standard battery is purportedly 230 miles, but that's only under ideal circumstances. In practice, it's more likely to be under 200 miles. That's not bad if you aren't traveling far with it, but if you tow anything of significant weight, that range is going to plummet. If towing something like a travel trailer for instance, the range could easily be reduced to under 100 miles, maybe even 50 miles under adverse circumstances. And with most of the charging options, it will take 10-14 hours to recharge the vehicle.
The Sensible Steward
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:18 pm I would have grave concerns about buying it. The range with the standard battery is purportedly 230 miles, but that's only under ideal circumstances. In practice, it's more likely to be under 200 miles. That's not bad if you aren't traveling far with it, but if you tow anything of significant weight, that range is going to plummet. If towing something like a travel trailer for instance, the range could easily be reduced to under 100 miles, maybe even 50 miles under adverse circumstances. And with most of the charging options, it will take 10-14 hours to recharge the vehicle.
I agree. And don't be the first to buy something new. It's bound to have a bunch of issues. Especially a Ford.
RJC

Post by RJC »

The roof may fly off.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Using the heater, any elevation climbing will eat into range quickly. Towing will just kill the range. Towing while climbing, double whammy... Ouch! Expect a quarter of range.

Anyone buying EV pickups need a clear understanding of the range hit when towing. With an understanding that if you need to charge on the road while towing you'll most likely need to unhitch. I can see salesmen not mentioning that or understanding.

I expect to see these things along the side of the freeway with a boat/trailer behind it.
daheld

Post by daheld »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:18 pm I would have grave concerns about buying it. The range with the standard battery is purportedly 230 miles, but that's only under ideal circumstances. In practice, it's more likely to be under 200 miles. That's not bad if you aren't traveling far with it, but if you tow anything of significant weight, that range is going to plummet. If towing something like a travel trailer for instance, the range could easily be reduced to under 100 miles, maybe even 50 miles under adverse circumstances. And with most of the charging options, it will take 10-14 hours to recharge the vehicle.
I think basically every municipal/city fleet pickup will be a Lightning in a decade. But I agree with this. Real concerns about a best case 230 mile range.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

daheld wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:36 pm
I think basically every municipal/city fleet pickup will be a Lightning in a decade. But I agree with this. Real concerns about a best case 230 mile range.
If battery technology can evolve to the point that a truck can haul a big load 200 miles, it will be much more appealing to the general pickup crowd. That might happen in a decade.
The Sensible Steward
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

To respond to your question. NO, FORD has been very tight lipped with any updates. I'm hoping they are not subscibing to the Elon Musk school of product release - over promise, under deliver and late. :twisted: That aside, I too have a reservation. Being there are +100K reservations and limited early production (not even counting chip issues), I'm thinking I won't see it until 2023. By 2023, all issues should be either well known & fixed or well known & not fixed. I'll either buy or get my $100 back. :beer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Topic Author
IMO

Post by IMO »

AllMostThere wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:27 pm To respond to your question. NO, FORD has been very tight lipped with any updates. I'm hoping they are not subscibing to the Elon Musk school of product release - over promise, under deliver and late. :twisted: That aside, I too have a reservation. Being there are +100K reservations and limited early production (not even counting chip issues), I'm thinking I won't see it until 2023. By 2023, all issues should be either well known & fixed or well known & not fixed. I'll either buy or get my $100 back. :beer
I had just wondered if I hadn't been getting the memo on what's up with the truck. Ironically, just after posting yesterday, Ford sent out a email regarding "information" where it basically didn't give any real new information.

It's not likely the worst thing if we have to wait to 2023. I'm not in a dire need a getting a new vehicle.
Had also put the $100 on the Telsa truck, but I that kind of seems like a far off pipe dream and I figured the Ford Lightening was more likely to be available sooner.
Topic Author
IMO

Post by IMO »

I'm somewhat reserved about what it will really offer. In reality, I still think for any long towing, we'd use an appropriate ICE vehicle. Maybe just some short local tows, but for long trips towing a real load, I agree seems a bit far off.

But I was thinking in terms of more local practicality as a daily driver. An ideal daily driver for me is something that things like bikes and other sports equipment can easily be transported around. I also liked the option that it could functionally serve as my "powerwall" emergency backup for the house. I was thinking that sort of off sets the cost a bit for this feature.

I also had a thought about ways to potentially help with range anxiety:
a) Aftermarket extra battery? Not sure if this will be a thing, but it is a pick up truck and throwing in an extra battery in the bed could be a viable option in the future? Not sure if the extra weight would negate the benefit? Cost? Feasibility?
b) Throw in an inverter generator and say 20 gallons of gas in the bed for emergency use. This is something that wouldn't work in any other standard EV, but it's a truck and it's got a bed right? Be helpful if one could run the generator and charge when actually driving if one expected to be in a situation where one was close on range or say going to go camp somewhere where there was no utilities available but one needed to get some extra charge back into the vehicle. Can always fill up the gas cans at a normal gas station.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure out the logistics/practicality of having a EV vs. ICE truck or otherwise for that matter.

Appreciate feedback, negative or positive.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

IMO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am But I was thinking in terms of more local practicality as a daily driver. An ideal daily driver for me is something that things like bikes and other sports equipment can easily be transported around. I also liked the option that it could functionally serve as my "powerwall" emergency backup for the house. I was thinking that sort of off sets the cost a bit for this feature.

a) Aftermarket extra battery? Not sure if this will be a thing, but it is a pick up truck and throwing in an extra battery in the bed could be a viable option in the future? Not sure if the extra weight would negate the benefit? Cost? Feasibility?
b) Throw in an inverter generator and say 20 gallons of gas in the bed for emergency use. This is something that wouldn't work in any other standard EV, but it's a truck and it's got a bed right? Be helpful if one could run the generator and charge when actually driving if one expected to be in a situation where one was close on range or say going to go camp somewhere where there was no utilities available but one needed to get some extra charge back into the vehicle. Can always fill up the gas cans at a normal gas station.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure out the logistics/practicality of having a EV vs. ICE truck or otherwise for that matter.

Yes, having a backup battery system for one's home is a nice plus, to be sure.

A. I'm not sure if/when aftermarket batteries would be available. If they will, they will be extremely expensive, many thousands of dollars.

B. A backup generator of some type is certainly a wise move, IMHO. However, nearly all inverter generators out there only output 120 volt power, and it would take a very long time to recharge a Lightning with 120 volt power. Recharging would be much faster with a 240 volt generator, which will also have higher amperage as well, perhaps 50 amps. A standard portable 240 volt generator will be louder but much more capable of doing the desired task.
The Sensible Steward
squirm

Post by squirm »

IMO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am
I'm somewhat reserved about what it will really offer. In reality, I still think for any long towing, we'd use an appropriate ICE vehicle. Maybe just some short local tows, but for long trips towing a real load, I agree seems a bit far off.

But I was thinking in terms of more local practicality as a daily driver. An ideal daily driver for me is something that things like bikes and other sports equipment can easily be transported around. I also liked the option that it could functionally serve as my "powerwall" emergency backup for the house. I was thinking that sort of off sets the cost a bit for this feature.

You mean like a running generator in the bed with a j1772 sticking out of the charge port while driving down the freeway? That would be a sight to see but wouldn't be possible.
I don't see the purpose of an extra battery is. Even if possible a small size 20kwh battery weighs a few hundred pounds, expensive and would take up a lot of space.

If you're just hauling bikes around why are you concerned with range?

Just be sure to understand that if you buy it thinking you can tow, the range will drop like a rock, at least in half. Towing anything moderately large up any elevation will drop it even more. So don't expect to tow a trailer up to that mountain lake a few hundred miles away to go camping over the weekend. One top of that, you won't drive until zero miles left, and you won't charge until 100% either. So at most you'll use about 80-90% of the battery.

Imo towing isn't practical at this time (and is having to unhitch). Non local towing adds a lot of unknowns and anxiety. It's not like EA chargers are known to be reliable either. I don't think I've ever seen a pull through one, and if you do actually find one on your route, what if it's iced or doesn't work or barely works. Unhitching is the only other alternative but that's a pain to do every 80-100 miles.
Last edited by squirm on Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EagleI

Post by EagleI »

The production numbers that have been published for the Ford Lightning are: 2022 - 15,000, 2023 - 55,000, and 2024 - 80,000. There are currently more than 150,000 reservations. You could be waiting a long time.
Topic Author
IMO

Post by IMO »

squirm wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:31 pm
IMO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am

You mean like a running generator in the bed with a j1772 sticking out of the charge port while driving down the freeway? That would be a sight to see but wouldn't be possible.
I don't see the purpose of an extra battery is. Even if possible a small size 20kwh battery weighs a few hundred pounds, expensive and would take up a lot of space.

If you're just hauling bikes around why are you concerned with range?

Just be sure to understand that if you buy it thinking you can tow, the range will drop like a rock, at least in half. Towing anything moderately large up any elevation will drop it even more. So don't expect to tow a trailer up to that mountain lake a few hundred miles away to go camping over the weekend. One top of that, you won't drive until zero miles left, and you won't charge until 100% either. So at most you'll use about 80-90% of the battery.

Imo towing isn't practical at this time (and is having to unhitch). Non local towing adds a lot of unknowns and anxiety. It's not like EA chargers are known to be reliable either. I don't think I've ever seen a pull through one, and if you do actually find one on your route, what if it's iced or doesn't work or barely works. Unhitching is the only other alternative but that's a pain to do every 80-100 miles.
Yep, running the generator with the j1772 (which I presume is the plug) plugged in as I go. If I'm going to be short on range getting home (say 30 miles) I'd rather charge as I go rather than stop and wait around charging it. It was the same thought as the extra battery, like having 5 gallon thing of gas in the bed of the truck. Or in your example, lets say we went up to the mountain lake (even just to camp without a boat), but needed to get enough charge to either get home or to at least get somewhere where we could charge it up. I'd rather charge it up while running than having to run a generator to charge it once there (and many campsites have quiet hours when you can't run a generator).

I should clarify when it comes to definitions. "Local commuting" to me means most of the short under 30 mile trips, but it also meant for me day trips where I could drive up to say 125 one way miles (250 miles total) where I don't know yet if there are convenient charge stations on the way. Maybe that needs a different definition on terms, perhaps, a) local commuting b) day tripping, and c) long distance road trips?

In any event, really trying to figure out if we make the EV move on the next vehicle for our lifestyle.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm If battery technology can evolve to the point that a truck can haul a big load 200 miles, it will be much more appealing to the general pickup crowd. That might happen in a decade.
I agree that kind of range towing a significant load will not happen anytime soon unless some manufacturer equips a truck with a huge battery pack - perhaps over 200 kWh, which could weigh around 2500 pounds. I've been assuming Ford will offer battery packs in the ballpark of 120 and 150 kWh.

For some perspective, 200 miles towing would be nearly on par with the 3.5L Ecoboost F-150. It's rated 20 mpg combined, but checking forums, I see towing numbers reported ranging from 8 to 15 mpg. It varies depending on weight, frontal area (camp trailers sometimes get described as "parachutes"), and speed (drag generally scales at the square of velocity, so if all else is equal, going 75 mph consumes over 1.5x as much fuel as going 60 mph*).

Those numbers take the theoretical range of the 3.5L Ecoboost F-150 from 520 miles down to anywhere from 208 (at 8mpg) to 390 (at 15mpg) miles.

* InsideEV's test drove a Lightning prototype, and was frustrated that Ford removed range information from the display...mostly. They spotted one screen that Ford apparently missed that indicated 472 miles range remaining. Ford has been really careful not to make any comments that could be construed as a range promise, and merely said that was during testing, and they are hoping to achieve an EPA-rated range of 300 miles for one of the larger battery options. I suspect the explanation for this range forecast was laid back initial driving gave the computer a low battery consumption rate to calculate from.

This is not unusual. My Honda Civic has an EPA rating of 30 mpg combined. I have been averaging a little over 40 mpg on a mixed city/highway commute. I get 45+ mpg cruising at 65 mph.
IMO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am I also had a thought about ways to potentially help with range anxiety:
Maybe. If any demographic is going to want this, it will be the Ford truck work users. It won't be cheap, though. I would say a rough ballpark of $75-100 per mile of nominal added range (assuming 2 miles/kwh (not towing), $150-200/kWh cost to the customer). Supposing you wanted an extra 100 miles of range - that could be as much as $10,000 and weigh over 600 pounds. This would be something for people who really need the versatility of a removable auxiliary pack and have a method to load it.
IMO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am b) Throw in an inverter generator and say 20 gallons of gas in the bed for emergency use. This is something that wouldn't work in any other standard EV, but it's a truck and it's got a bed right? Be helpful if one could run the generator and charge when actually driving
This would be the cheap and easy route, but very limited capability. A nice Honda EU2000i costs around $1000 and weighs less than 50 pounds.I'm skeptical Ford will make it possible to charge while driving, and obviously, a little inverter generator with a ~0.1L carbureted engine is not going to stand-in for a 3.5L fuel-injected, turbo-charged engine anyways. It might provide around 3 miles of range per hour, and per Honda specs, would get about 4 hours runtime per 1 gallon tank of fuel.

A 240V generator combined with the home-style charger would be a lot better. I don't know whether a standard home charger can run off a modified sine wave, or if some more sophisticated design would be needed, but then we could be talking about more like 20 miles of range per hour of charging. You could hypothetically tow a boat to a lake for an afternoon, leave the generator running, and have gained a meaningful amount of range by the time you're ready to head home.
Topic Author
IMO

Re: Ford Lightning: What's the status? UPDATED 12/21/2021

Post by IMO »

Thought I'd post an update 12/21/2021[/color][/color][/color][/u]

Got the following email from Ford:

Orders start at the beginning of the new year, and because of unprecedented interest, we’ll be sending invitations to order at staggered times.

Now, this kind of demand means many of you won’t get a 2022 F‑150 Lightning™ truck, but rest assured we will hold your reservation so you’ll have a chance to order a future model year.

We’ll stay in touch with you throughout this process and let you know when we’re sold out of the 2022 model. We’d hate for you to cancel your reservation, but if you do, you’ll get a full refund from your dealer.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

IMO wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Yep, running the generator with the j1772 (which I presume is the plug) plugged in as I go. If I'm going to be short on range getting home (say 30 miles) I'd rather charge as I go rather than stop and wait around charging it. It was the same thought as the extra battery, like having 5 gallon thing of gas in the bed of the truck. Or in your example, lets say we went up to the mountain lake (even just to camp without a boat), but needed to get enough charge to either get home or to at least get somewhere where we could charge it up. I'd rather charge it up while running than having to run a generator to charge it once there (and many campsites have quiet hours when you can't run a generator).
I would worry about the safety of that. Autos have protected fuel tanks but generators do not (find "Ford Pinto case " on wikipedia if you wish to be enlightened as to why. Richard Grimshaw (who won $450m, later knocked down to a few million on appeal) had burns on over 90% of his body.** Particularly for the 1970s he was very "lucky" to be alive (I am not sure I count a survivor that badly burned to be "lucky" in any meaningful sense - I once saw a man burned that badly, but have no idea if he lived).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pint ... litigation

Also there is Carbon Monoxide. Odorless & deadly in low concentrations. Yes the wind should carry it away from you, but what if you are stopped at a traffic light or for road construction work?

If it is even legal to do this (I suspect not) then I suggest you should not.

A "backup battery" pack won't work. At least I don't think you can connect an external battery to the car without voiding the warranty? And to have a significant amount of energy you'd need a very big and heavy spare battery. Energy densities of gasoline are far far higher (albeit efficiency of conversion into motive power is less than 1/3rd as much).
I should clarify when it comes to definitions. "Local commuting" to me means most of the short under 30 mile trips, but it also meant for me day trips where I could drive up to say 125 one way miles (250 miles total) where I don't know yet if there are convenient charge stations on the way. Maybe that needs a different definition on terms, perhaps, a) local commuting b) day tripping, and c) long distance road trips?

In any event, really trying to figure out if we make the EV move on the next vehicle for our lifestyle.
In your situation I would suggest you want to look at Plug In Hybrid alternatives?

That would give you some EV range for short commuting trips. But also a decent range for longer road trips.

The sort of vehicle you want may be several years away as an EV. Some sentiment suggests that Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles will fill that gap-- but they are not there yet. (Presumably one would have a solar PV array at home, running an electrolyser; otherwise filling stations attached in some way to renewable sources of energy).

Batteries are getting better, power density is greater. But it's linear improvement, not exponential like most electronics. And car model cycles are at least 3 years, so it takes time for the latest technology to be embodied into new vehicles.

** Asked about the 450m (which he never in any case received) he was quoted as saying "I'd just rather not have had the accident". Anyone who has had "lifechanging injuries" (the euphemism the UK authorities use in such cases) will tell you just how much they would rather not have had the accident.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I would cancel the order, wait for the 2nd or 3rd model year to come out and the whole chip shortage to resolve. I would assume your order aka "reservation" does not lock in an out the door price...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

SimonJester wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:35 am I would cancel the order, wait for the 2nd or 3rd model year to come out and the whole chip shortage to resolve. I would assume your order aka "reservation" does not lock in an out the door price...
Maybe not relevant, but several who have reserved the 2021 VW ID4 have been told that they will need to wait until the 2022 model year due to demand. VW has told 2021 reservation holders that they will be entitled to the 2022, when available, at the 2021 MSRP.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Well, sounds like Ford has opened the Lightning ordering system few days ago. Several of the Ford Forums are stating that they will be inviting reservations, based on position in queue, in up to six waves every two weeks until the first 15K of production is allotted. Good news, but there is also some troubling news. Apparently, showing support for dealerships to use a No-Sale provision that would prevent buyers from reselling the vehicle for at least a year.

"Purchaser hereby agrees that it will not sell, offer to sell or otherwise transfer ownership interest in the Vehicle prior to the first anniversary of the date hereof. Purchaser further agrees that Seller may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of title of the Vehicle or demand payment from Purchaser of all value received as consideration for the sale or transfer." https://www.lightningowners.com/threads ... #post-2608

I find this totally unacceptable, so hopefully my selected dealer doesn't implement this policy. What if a buyer is displeased with the vehicle purchase and wants to sell it for competing vehicle? Or, worse yet, a buyer loses a job and needs to sell? IIRC, Ford implemented something similar for the Mustang GT (2 year No-sell clause???), but that was for a low volume "collector" car not a flagship F150 Pickup. To combat this tactic and being I am low in the reservation list, so probably won't see an order request until 2023 or beyond, I put a $100 reservation deposit down on the new MY2024 Silverado EV. The Silverado EV seems to have comparable pricing and specs (better standard range at 400 miles). Hopefully, GM doesn't follow similar path of No-sale clause. Regardless, I will plan multiple paths of EV Truck procurement at best price with no additional dealer markup while trying to avoid any No-sale provision. I typically keep my new cars +10 years, and do not jump from new vehicle to new vehicle, so this may be a non-issue for me. Is this an issue for other BH's and what would you recommend??
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I think those clauses are more to deter speculators who have no interest in owning the vehicle (and may have signed up for more than one reservation) than to keep someone from selling because they don't like the car. As a practical matter, they can't really enjoin you from selling the vehicle because they aren't likely to even know its for sale until it's already sold. If they attempted to collect the entire(!) consideration from someone who bought in good faith and had to sell, that would be a PR nightmare (and probably not enforceable in a lot of states).