Windshield replacement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
psteinx

Windshield replacement

Post by psteinx »

Probably need a new windshield. Looking for any key advice on something I've never had done before.

Used Buick Verano (small sedan), recently bought used, has a ~0.6" "star" chip in the windshield, directly in the driver's field of view. To me, it's at least mildly distracting, driving. My daughter who will be the primary driver is shorter and seems less bothered by it, but notices it.

Insurance doesn't factor in - this was pre-existing when I bought the vehicle. Glass place said they don't do repairs in driver's field of view, and from some quick research, this seems the norm (they don't want liability if less than perfect repair, and car is subsequently in accident blamed on driver distraction from sun glinting off the chip or whatever...)

So, probably will replace the windshield. Car does not have lane-keeping or other advanced stuff that would require recalibration.

Wife says she thinks that windshield replacements are prone to leakiness/imperfect seals. I don't know, but that seems like a reasonable concern. Also, maybe, strength/safety issues relative to OEM glass?

3 quotes, ~$370 from the local place that first turned it down for spot repair. Place seems reasonable, will use 3rd party glass. Other 2 quotes are ~$280 from a website that I guess ties to mobile service, and ~$350 from a different local place that I think has a physical location nearby. While first and third places do have, I think, nearby locations, all 3 would apparently come to our driveway to actually do the fix.

Go with the cheapest? Go with the first place (they *seemed* solid)? Find a place that will do a ~$70 spot repair? Talk to a Buick dealership about getting actual OEM glass?
Last edited by psteinx on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Re: Windshield replacement

Post by livesoft »

Every windshield we replaced was at Safelite, inexpensive and quick. In your situation, I would go with cheapest.

As for calibration, almost all places do that if needed, too, so that is not a big deal either for those that need it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Those who've had replacements, from 3rd parties (not the dealer) - were you generally satisfied? Seals held well, and no problems with the windshields if you kept the vehicle 5+ years post-replacement?
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

In many cases OEM glass is identical to aftermarket glass with the mere addition of a company logo, which you will pay for.

I used Safelite and the technician let me watch him install. I was happy with the workmanship and have not noticed any issues. The technician did tell me that nothing will ever be as good as the factory seal once broken, but that the odds of any issues arising are still very low. He also explained that there are varying grades of the adhesive used, and that this is where vendors might try to cheap out on. He said Safelite doesn't use the absolute best stuff, but it's decent.

Post by 123 »

I've had a couple windshields replaced by independent auto glass stores with no problems. Auto glass pretty much all has to meet the same safety requirements regardless of who makes/sell it. I don't think there's any value in using OEM glass unless you want all the itty bitty barely readable manufacturer's logos in the car to match.

An OEM replacement glass can easily be 2 to 5 (or more) times the cost of non-OEM glass depending on the brand.
Last edited by 123 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I've replaced maybe a dozen windshields over the years. I can't recall every having one leak. One cheap shop stained our headliner with adhesive. I won't be returning there. I'll probably go with Safelite next time due to the calibration of the lane keep etc. Our last change was a small shop that did work for the local dealer.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

No problem with Safelite, no leaks.

In Arizona it seems to be covered by insurance by default. Or maybe it's mandatory? I don't know, all I know is I didn't pay for it.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

My experience has been that Safelite had among the most expensive quotes, which I care about since my insurance doesn't cover glass without a deductible. When my insurance did do that, I'd have probably used Safelite.

One windshield I've had installed leaked; the several other didn't.

I have an annoying chip in windshield now, which I had professionally repaired, but I haven't been happy with the repair. The last chip I repaired myself and that seemed to turn out better, but every chip is different.

With "third party glass" I'd ask the name of the manufacturer.

Once I got a used windshield, which I guess you can do if you want OEM for a lower cost. But you're very reliant on skillful removal and installation when you do that (and of course have to find a pristine one to start with.) Since then it seems like new windshields have gotten relatively cheaper (except for the new specialty glass or need for special installation procedures) so there wouldn't be as much a justification for used.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I live in the land of damaged windshields.

I would live with it. The brain is great at adapting.

When we have replaced windshields, Safelite has always done a good job and quite affordable.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Without HUD or other electronics, no need for OEM. As noted earlier, all windshield have to meet safety standards. Ask Safelite for a quote (discount) if you pay in cash.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

I had a windshield replaced at Safelite last year, it's been great. No leaks, cost was about $350. It was an older vehicle so I had no worries about calibration. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again if I needed another windshield replaced.
leroix

Post by leroix »

I have always used local places found on yelp or craigslist - I try to cross refence to google reviews. I have never had an issue with either chip repairs or full glass replacements -- typically save 1/3 over a franchise operation (safelite). I typically look for guys who run their own operation and who have been at it for at least a few years. Current car has HUD and active rain sensors, and installer was able to order the correct glass with no issues. Was chatting with him after he replaced the windshield and he was telling me about getting training to keep up to date with all the sensor calibrations needed for the newest vehicles - personally would rather have someone who has made this a career over a technician working for a franchise.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:30 pm Probably need a new windshield. Looking for any key advice on something I've never had done before.

Used Buick Verano (small sedan), recently bought used, has a ~0.6" "star" chip in the windshield, directly in the driver's field of view.
Glass place said they don't do repairs in driver's field of view,
I would try a self repair. I use this kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A ... UTF8&psc=1

and have made several successful repairs. Be sure you follow the kit's instructions - a hypodermic and suction cup are used to pull a vacuum on the chip, evacuating the air and allowing resin to flow into the crack. Don't just 'dab' the resin on the chip.

If you aren't comfortable attempting this yourself, try one of the 'drive through' repair sites - often located in a shopping mall. They aren't as concerned with liability. Their cost is ~$50.

Only a small investment - if the results don't suit you, then go the windshield replacement route.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

I had a windshield replaced by Safelite about 3 months ago and a month after it was replaced it started getting bubbles inside of the glass. I called them and they came out the next day and replaced it again, no charge, no questions asked and the one that they replaced it with is fine. So I know they definitely stand behind their work.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
illumination

Post by illumination »

It depends on the vehicle, sometimes you can find the OEM for the windshield and its very reasonable. An example is I had a Lexus and Pilkington makes glass that comes new off the assembly line for Lexus and Toyota (and other car companies). It was like $50 more than a Chinese Safelite option.

Getting glass at a dealership can sometimes (usually) be absurd, I think in the example I just gave, a "Lexus" windshield was like $1,500 installed. Insurance would not cover it anyway.

I have gotten "cheap" windshields and the glass itself was fine. I really think the installer is more important, but if it's only a little more to get a windshield that is say PPG or another established brand that makes glass for GM on their new cars (and not made in China) I'd personally pay the premium.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Three times over the last 10 years I've used Safelite @ $225-$325/per repair, no leaks or other issues.
sandan

Post by sandan »

With my honda, 3rd party installer such as safelite has been good.

Definitely follow what the specialized forums recommend. In the case of hondas, make sure they install OEM glass. The non-OEM / non-recommend glass will see more chips and cracks.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Over the years, we've had at least a dozen windshields replaced. We have one car right now with a big crack in the windshield whose inspection is due in December. We'll get it replaced in December. I've had all of them replaced by Philip's glass which has been bought and is now Safelite. We've had at least one done by Safelite and I had them do the work in my own garage as it was during Covid. Perfectly good repair, no leaks (I've never had one leak). I honestly can't remember which car it was that this repair was done to.

Our comprehensive insurance covers glass with no deductible. It's the reason we keep it on our 145k mile Crosstrek that currently has the crack.

In my area, dealers do not do their own windshield repairs. I've asked for a number of brands and have always been sent to a glass company.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Candor

Post by Candor »

When they repair the chip there will still be a slight distortion in the glass and shops will generally not attempt a repair in your direct line of view for this reason due to liability issues.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:45 pm Those who've had replacements, from 3rd parties (not the dealer) - were you generally satisfied? Seals held well, and no problems with the windshields if you kept the vehicle 5+ years post-replacement?
Over the years, we have had 5 or 6 windshields replaced by a local shop in our very rural community. No leaks so far.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
egrets

Post by egrets »

In my area AAA does windshield replacements.
egrets

Post by egrets »

illumination wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm Getting glass at a dealership can sometimes (usually) be absurd, I think in the example I just gave, a "Lexus" windshield was like $1,500 installed. Insurance would not cover it anyway.
I bought a used old Lexus. The dealer repair prices are insane. A good local mechanic charges about 1/4 what the dealer quotes. Still shockingly expensive.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I have Progressive, needed a full replace (long cracks), their website came up with Safelite when putting in a claim, and I'm 100% responsible (which I've never experienced before, I've always had insurance cover this in the past), $470. It would have been very easy to click the button to go with Safelite and be done with it, but it seemed high. Called local shops, they were $275-350, so I went with the $275 one that had good Google reviews. They came out in 2 hours, and it looked like care was taken during the install, no issues.

I've used Safelite before when the insurance is paying for it all, and never had issues, but I'd get quotes if insurance isn't paying.
gotlost33

Post by gotlost33 »

We had Safelite replace windshield just under a month ago, no complaints so far - installed at our location in under 30 minutes, covered by insurance but still got a broken out receipt (Parts $206 + Labor $112 = $318+tax). If they are in your area it would seem worth getting a quote and may be cheaper if you go to their location for the replacement, I would think it's a quick call to find out.

In FL I have seen ads for places that pay you ~$100 for the broken windshield, usually as a cash bonus on a paid insurance replacement. Not sure how legit these are or if they occur in other areas too. I forgot about them when we needed the replacement, but could be an extra discount somewhere.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

The only problem replacement windshield I've had was due to the installer at Safelite. He installed a clear windshield meant for the entry level model. I had to wait 3 days for the seal to set/dry before they could install the proper windshield - the one with a wide band of tint across the top and wiper heating elements across the bottom.

The good news, I negotiated about 40% off for wasting my time.
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

I live in SC and the state requires insurance companies to replace damaged windshields at no charge, no deductible and no hit to insurability. I have replaced 5-6 in the last 25 years, most from a rock thrown from the road by a truck in front of me. Our state road maintenance has been poor, so this may have contributed. Safelite has always been good. My insurance company always picked the repair shop and it’s usually Safelite.
illumination

Post by illumination »

The replacement windshield itself is not going to leak, that wouldn't be my worry. It would be a poor install that would do it.

I've had that happen, many vehicles have a trim kit and they maybe use something aftermarket and you get a whistling noise and they have to redo it. Or you have an inexperienced tech that didn't set it properly. Years ago I had an older vehicle and someone had done a bad windshield replacement and rust had developed around it, the tech said the previous person did a hack job and water couldn't channel properly.

I'm personally not a huge Safelite fan, its almost like a "Jiffy Lube" of windshield replacement places. Their house brand of windshield is usually something that's made in China you can have distortions, bubbles, it can be thinner and allow in more road noise, chips and cracks easier etc. There's a reason it's cheaper. But many people have been happy with them and price does matter, especially if its just not a car that's worth much anymore.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

The only replacement windshield I've had problems with was when I had it done in a parking lot in the winter. They tried twice and both times it whistled at highway speeds. I blame the cold weather for not allowing the adhesive to seal properly. On the third try I took it to a heated shop and it was done right. I've since had multiple windshields replaced in parking lots and once in my garage but always in warm weather. I wouldn't have any qualms about having a reputable installer do it outside as long as it wasn't cold out.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

egrets wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:09 am
illumination wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm Getting glass at a dealership can sometimes (usually) be absurd, I think in the example I just gave, a "Lexus" windshield was like $1,500 installed. Insurance would not cover it anyway.
I bought a used old Lexus. The dealer repair prices are insane. A good local mechanic charges about 1/4 what the dealer quotes. Still shockingly expensive.
This is much different than my experience with dealer vs. independent shops, where I've found maybe a 15-20% price difference at most; nowhere near 75% (not specifically for windshield repairs, though - I'm assuming this is your experience with all types of repairs.)
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:45 pm Those who've had replacements, from 3rd parties (not the dealer) - were you generally satisfied? Seals held well, and no problems with the windshields if you kept the vehicle 5+ years post-replacement?
I think I have had three windshields replaced over the years, all from third parties and none of them have leaked or been unsatisfactory in any way. The adhesives and seals of modern times are excellent compared to what was available 50 years ago.

My vote is to replace the entire windshield. I have had a couple star shaped chips sealed over the years and they always seem to eventually go ahead and crack anyway five years down the road.
illumination

Post by illumination »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:01 pm
This is much different than my experience with dealer vs. independent shops, where I've found maybe a 15-20% price difference at most; nowhere near 75% (not specifically for windshield repairs, though - I'm assuming this is your experience with all types of repairs.)
Windshields (at least for Lexus) are unusual and not the typical dealer markup. The part itself is way more expensive. Not sure why, maybe shipping it from Japan? But it's well known on Lexus forums that a dealer windshield is an enormous markup and many insurance companies won't pay it, even if you have a premium glass policy. Some people are willing to pay it, I'm not.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

illumination wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:32 pm
Windshields (at least for Lexus) are unusual and not the typical dealer markup. The part itself is way more expensive. Not sure why, maybe shipping it from Japan? But it's well known on Lexus forums that a dealer windshield is an enormous markup and many insurance companies won't pay it, even if you have a premium glass policy. Some people are willing to pay it, I'm not.
I was thinking you meant all dealer repairs, not just the windshield?
illumination

Post by illumination »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:56 pm
illumination wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:32 pm
I was thinking you meant all dealer repairs, not just the windshield?

I'm just referring to the windshield repair. For whatever reason, glass replacement at Lexus dealerships is WAY more expensive. It's not like say getting your tires replaced at a dealership where there can be a small markup over say Discount Tire.

The OEM glass with the "Lexus" logo is what is so expensive. Not really sure why that it is. I'm usually okay paying a premium for an OEM part.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

Used a mobile company to replace the windshield about a year ago.
It was on the cheap side, did a good job (3rd party glass). No problems so far.

0.6" chip I would not bother replacing (you'll get another chip in no time). The one I replaced had 4 or 5 chips and a crack going through the entire windshield.