Best place to be a Snowbird if money is no object

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
QBoy

Best place to be a Snowbird if money is no object

Post by QBoy »

I am retiring in a few years, and DW and I are thinking about where to spend winters after retirement. We have been financially lucky, so affordability is not an issue. What places would you suggest we check out? A few considerations:

1. We would like to stay within the United States.
2. Our permanent residence is in the northeast.
3. We do not play golf.
4. We enjoy restaurants.
5. We enjoy theater and the arts more generally.
6. We like places where one can go for a nice walk, either in a city, on a beach, or in nature.
7. Ease of travel--proximity to an airport--is a plus.

Any suggestions?

Edits in response to queries: Yes, nice winter weather is important: I thought that was implicit in the term "Snowbird." And permanent residence in the northeast is relevant because some places become less practical, like Hawaii which otherwise we love. Being near a beach and/or family (on east coast) is a plus, but not a requirement. As for budget, we were thinking we could go to as much as high 7 figures, which I think means almost anywhere is a possibility.
Last edited by QBoy on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
PVW

Re: Best place to be a Snowbird if money is no object

Post by PVW »

Snowbird implies you are escaping winter weather, but you didn't include anything about weather in your list. So I suggest Santa Fe, NM. It still gets winter weather, which is occasionally harsh, but generally tolerable. Summer averages highs in the 80s, occasional 90s, and rarely, if ever, into the 100s. And low humidity. It has a thriving arts community (both amateur and professional), interesting culture, great restaurants, easy access to nature, some areas are walkable (especially near the plaza), 1 hr to ABQ airport, and a wide range of housing.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

QBoy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:00 pm I am retiring in a few years, and DW and I are thinking about where to spend winters after retirement. We have been financially lucky, so affordability is not an issue. What places would you suggest we check out? A few considerations:
1. We would like to stay within the United States
3. We do not play golf.
4. We enjoy restaurants.

Any suggestions?
To me, these all suggest about any larger urban area. Not sure how item 2 plays into your decision. Item 6 limits you to urban areas along our 95,000+ miles of coast line. I.e. you need to narrow things down a bit for better answers.
TigerNest

Post by TigerNest »

I’d consider Los Angeles or Hawaii.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Do you have a budget? If money is no object, I would say a beach mansion in Southern CA or Hawaii.
bagle

Post by bagle »

Naples, Florida?
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Arizona is hard to beat. You can get the city experience or a more natural one without having to drive hours between the two.
Edify

Post by Edify »

Casey Key, Florida.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Santa Barbara area if money is really no object.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Santa%20B ... jfkCzlM%3d
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I know of a place that has great weather in the winter, has abundant walking/hiking areas (definitely "in the city" and "in nature" if you take a short drive... not so much "on the beach" though), and has a major airport that's centrally-located and easy/quick to get to from just about anywhere in town.

It also has one of the best restaurant scenes in the country, ranging from fancy joints that have received Michelin stars all the way down to little holes-in-the-wall dishing up amazing ethnic food.

And a thriving performing arts scene, with live entertainment out the wazoo. The visual arts offerings aren't anything to sneeze at either.

Yup, I'm talking about Las Vegas. :beer
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

TigerNest wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm I’d consider Los Angeles or Hawaii.
I would think LA also. We really do have everything from arts, limitless restaurants, walkable areas, hikes along mountains and beaches.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Money no object? Newport Beach, CA or Malibu, CA.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Good suggestions, above.

Consider adding proximity to good healthcare providers/hospitals as #8 on your list as you evaluate each location.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Hawaii
Maui (Kula or Malawian) or the Big Island (Waikii Ranch private estates on the high mountain slopes of Mauna Kea
(Not Oahu)

Very North Scottsdale in the hills or Very North east Scottsdale

Prescott Arizona
(1 mile high in the National Forests and Mountain Lakes
Hassayampa high end areas or Williamson Valley high end developments.

Sedona Arizona

Considering: chaos, traffic, congestion, quiet, privacy, etc.
Budget: up to millions.

j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
BogleHead1008

Post by BogleHead1008 »

AZ..

Every winter, we drive behind snow birds driving at 55 on a highway while most around them are cruising 75+ mph.

We need them and their money for local economy and so we bear with the speed :-)
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

JupiterJones wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:07 pm I know of a place that has great weather in the winter, has abundant walking/hiking areas (definitely "in the city" and "in nature" if you take a short drive... not so much "on the beach" though), and has a major airport that's centrally-located and easy/quick to get to from just about anywhere in town.

It also has one of the best restaurant scenes in the country, ranging from fancy joints that have received Michelin stars all the way down to little holes-in-the-wall dishing up amazing ethnic food.

And a thriving performing arts scene, with live entertainment out the wazoo. The visual arts offerings aren't anything to sneeze at either.

Yup, I'm talking about Las Vegas. :beer
May not be the OP's cup of tea, but it's going to be hard to beat this answer in the context of the OP. My pick would be Hawai'i but it doesn't really qualify with the criteria laid out.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

A key consideration is whether you want to stay close-ish to home for easy commuting or not.

i.e. Snowbirding does not necessarily mean 2 flights a year (one there, one back). It could mean a drive down and back (to provide a good car at destination), and a few flights, especially if family friends is still in the Northeast. Maybe you go down after Thanksgiving, come back for the Christmas-New Year ~week, go back down, come back again for a week in early Feb, then re-snowbird again until mid-March.

If that IS the case, then your search area is likely east of the Mississippi.

Theater and restaurants can be found in bigger cities, but also in good-sized college towns. Do you have a strong desire to be on/near the beach?
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Santa Monica, Montecito (Santa Barbara) - all California.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

BARCELONA, spain.
cncm

Post by cncm »

Southern California, hands down. Best weather in the country (sunny, warm, but not humid), great food, diverse community, beautiful beaches, and lots of culture/arts/entertainment options.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I like the Airstream trailer on this $75M lot: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1820 ... 3938_zpid/
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
mhc

Post by mhc »

US Virgin Islands
Puerto Rico
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:20 pm I like the Airstream trailer on this $75M lot: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1820 ... 3938_zpid/
LOL. Seeing what OP really meant by "money is no object"
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

I would say Palm Beach or Sarasota. You can get a nice place for $9 million in Sarasota, but in Palm Beach you would kind of be mid-market.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Sanibel/Captiva Island Fl
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:20 pm I like the Airstream trailer on this $75M lot: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1820 ... 3938_zpid/
How perfect!!

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

Boca Grande, FL

Buy the entire island
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Balance

Post by Balance »

San Diego, CA
tjtv

Post by tjtv »

It's hard to believe that you're willing to spend up to $9.9M, but really don't have any idea of where you want it to be.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

QBoy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:00 pm I am retiring in a few years, and DW and I are thinking about where to spend winters after retirement. We have been financially lucky, so affordability is not an issue. What places would you suggest we check out?
I had acquantances (with a MUCH smaller budget, btw) who implemented what they called the "3 box" solution.
Rather than find the 1 place they wanted for the rest of their lives, they chose 3 that were "pretty good". Bought 3 houses. (As I recall, it was NC, FL and CO, but who cares).
Later, they added the "mobile 4th box" - flying around to visit family and friends.

I don't have that kind of $ or energy, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Topic Author
QBoy

Post by QBoy »

tjtv wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:40 pm It's hard to believe that you're willing to spend up to $9.9M, but really don't have any idea of where you want it to be.
We've happily lived in the northeast our entire lives, but as we get older, the cold of winter is harder to take. So we are new to all this. Several friends have moved to the Palm Beach area, but every time we have visited there, it struck us as gaudy and ostentatious. So we are looking for other suggestions about where to check out over the next few years.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

What kind of non-freezing weather do you like? Wet, dry? 65 degrees or 80 degrees? Are you planning to spend 3 months or 6 months a year there?
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Wherever and whenever
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

QBoy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:00 pm I am retiring in a few years, and DW and I are thinking about where to spend winters after retirement. We have been financially lucky, so affordability is not an issue. What places would you suggest we check out? A few considerations:

1. We would like to stay within the United States.
3. We do not play golf.
4. We enjoy restaurants.
6. We like places where one can go for a nice walk, either in a city, on a beach, or in nature.

Any suggestions?

Edits in response to queries: Yes, nice winter weather is important: I thought that was implicit in the term "Snowbird." And permanent residence in the northeast is relevant because some places become less practical, like Hawaii which otherwise we love. Being near a beach and/or family (on east coast) is a plus, but not a requirement. As for budget, we were thinking we could go to as much as high 7 figures, which I think means almost anywhere is a possibility.
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look very hard at 2 places in particular which ALL offer excellent restaurants, art galleries, and nice walkable areas:

Naples, Florida or Scottsdale, Arizona.

It just depends what you like better- dry and warm winters or humid and slightly warmer as well as either a beach or desert setting. Both are world class and offer excellent amenities. My parents used to snowbird to Scottsdale so I'm partial to that but Naples is absolutely wonderful as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
sandan

Post by sandan »

city, beach, nature, arts & major airport = Marin
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Either...

Blacksburg, VA or Charlottesville, VA.

Blacksburg has the availability of arts and shows connected with Virginia Tech. A quaint downtown full of student supporting restaurants and businesses. They get winter, but as a Northeasterner, you'd get through a few days of flurries and say "that's not winter". I did my grad school work there and would move there again. I'm a lifelong New Englander.

Charlottesville is, of course, Uncle Tom's boarding school's home town. So the influence and arts of UVA. It's a bigger town (much bigger), so to me, less safe compared to Blacksburg but with more art available because 90% of the students aren't engineers, like Tech. We had friends at UVA, so spent some time there as well.

Both have minor airports within an hour.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Sedona, AZ
San Marino (and parts of Altadena and Pasadena), CA
Pacific Palisades, CA
La Jolla, CA

How about New Orleans? It's a great city. Property prices are insanely low by NE (and CA) standards. There are some very quiet, upscale neighborhoods that are still close to the action. For example, see https://moneyinc.com/richest-neighborhoods-new-orleans/
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Don Cesar Resort, St. Pete’s Beach FL
Parrot Cay, Turks & Caicos (ok, ok, its not in the US but only a three hour non stop flight from NY)
Cap Juluca
Villa d’Este on Lake Como, not far from Milan

I’d just pick a different location every year rather than buy a place let stand empty for 8 months.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Living Free wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:45 pm
LOL. Seeing what OP really meant by "money is no object"
:)

It would help if the OP specified a bit more details. I'm guessing we're not talking neighbors with Oprah in Montecito so having some sort of number to go off would be helpful. I love California and that's definitely recommended a lot in the thread, but if the OP isn't looking to spend a ton for the most desirable places, I don't think it's worth the extreme premium.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

For many years Warren Buffett had a place in Laguna Beach, CA.
JDonaghy

Post by JDonaghy »

Southern CA (Santa Barbara, Malibu, Newport Beach...you'd have to narrow down in socal lots of nice places. Not everything is what a northeasterner thinks of as "LA")
Monterey, CA
San Fran/Bay Area/Napa
Nashville, TN
Sarasota, FL (good art scene i believe)
Miami ?

Seems like the ist could use a few more requirements related to temp, city size, culture, but its a fun game so i'll play!
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

QBoy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:00 pm 1. We would like to stay within the United States.
3. We do not play golf.
4. We enjoy restaurants.
Don't laugh, but I would say where I live - Houston

1. Check
2. N/A
3. There if you want it
4. May not have any Michelin star restaurants but Houston has one of the most diverse food scenes in the country. The huge energy and medical sectors have brought in people from around the world. Supposedly we have well over 100 ethnicities represented in restaurants
5. Check. Houston has one of the best opera companies in the US drawing international artists, world class symphony, Rice University which has a top 5 music school (and free performances 3 to 7 days/nights a week during school year), new expansion of an already great art museum, and on. From October to April you could probably go to an art event every day save the major holidays.
6. The winter months are the payoff for a hot and humid summer. Typically you may only get a night or two a year where the temperature dips below freezing. There are some nice parks, if you want a beach it isn't too far, Hill Country a few hours away, national forests near as well. I cycle and do that throughout the winter.
7. 2 major airports. One is dominated by Southwest and will fly to the Caribbean, the other dominated by United and has nonstop international routes to all continents.

We pretty much figured we will retire here, primarily because of 4 through 7.
ExTx

Post by ExTx »

If money is NO object? California.
BillWalters

Post by BillWalters »

It depends on what kind of social life you want.

If you want to hang out with other people/couples and socialize a lot, go with some kind of club community. Tons of these all over Florida and Arizona.

If not, and you really actually care about culture/arts/food, it’s basically LA/SF or bust.
ExTx

Post by ExTx »

May I be more specific? Stay as far away from LA as possible. South of Huntington Beach to SD.
ExTx

Post by ExTx »

tigermilk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:43 pm
QBoy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:00 pm 1. We would like to stay within the United States.
3. We do not play golf.
4. We enjoy restaurants.
Don't laugh, but I would say where I live - Houston

1. Check
2. N/A
3. There if you want it
4. May not have any Michelin star restaurants but Houston has one of the most diverse food scenes in the country. The huge energy and medical sectors have brought in people from around the world. Supposedly we have well over 100 ethnicities represented in restaurants
5. Check. Houston has one of the best opera companies in the US drawing international artists, world class symphony, Rice University which has a top 5 music school (and free performances 3 to 7 days/nights a week during school year), new expansion of an already great art museum, and on. From October to April you could probably go to an art event every day save the major holidays.
6. The winter months are the payoff for a hot and humid summer. Typically you may only get a night or two a year where the temperature dips below freezing. There are some nice parks, if you want a beach it isn't too far, Hill Country a few hours away, national forests near as well. I cycle and do that throughout the winter.
7. 2 major airports. One is dominated by Southwest and will fly to the Caribbean, the other dominated by United and has nonstop international routes to all continents.

We pretty much figured we will retire here, primarily because of 4 through 7.
OP wants nature. Wants to walk on the beach.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

On a more serious note, something tasteful that fits your requirements: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/36-H ... 0396_zpid/

Plenty of room for visiting family and friends, of which you'll have many. (No need to get on a plane - they'll come to you.) :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Southern California is the obvious choice. What part of Southern California kind of depends on how you prioritize arts and culture vs nature and outdoors.

Also, how close you want to live to which airport will come into play as well.
Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna »

San Diego is my favorite California town, although Monterey and Carmel are also worth a look. On the east coast, how about Savannah GA? Winter temps are very mild, you're close to the beach, and the central historic part of town is very picturesque.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

TigerNest wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm I’d consider Los Angeles or Hawaii.
Really Los Angeles? I guess if money is no objection then you can fly from point A to point B with a private helicopter.