New Ford Bronco

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fishing2retire

New Ford Bronco

Post by Fishing2retire »

Seeing if any has ordered or currently has a new full-size Ford Bronco. If you have one how do you like it?
5280Tim

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by 5280Tim »

Don’t have one, but a friend received a First Edition a few weeks ago. Ford is trying to screw up the launch with delays, hard top issues, and commodity constraints, but the Bronco itself is an absolute home run. It drives well, has plenty of power, and enough off-road capability to handle more than I would ever put it through. The ride is so much better than a wrangler.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

5280Tim wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:12 pm Ford is trying to screw up the launch with delays, hard top issues, and commodity constraints, but the Bronco itself is an absolute home run.
I know two people who are still waiting on the Bronco orders they placed 2yrs ago. We ordered a Maverick hybrid in June and have not had our build scheduled yet, so we aren't getting it this year. This will be our first Ford (and never really considered one before hearing about the Maverick), I hope the Bronco fiasco isn't a sign of things to come. We're probably fine waiting until next spring, but any longer than that and we may have to begin to look elsewhere (even though there are zero current competitors).
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

Reservations for the Bronco opened up in July 2020, with the first actual orders placed earlier this year. It hasn’t been two years, but it probably will be before some reservation holders get delivery. That is not to say Ford has had a smooth launch, they haven’t. This follows the issues with the last Explorer launch and honestly I’d expect the Maverick and Lightning to have some, not all, of the same problems.
And none of this addresses the fact that some “stealerships” have taken reservation holder’s Broncos and marked them up $20-30k when they were delivered and threatened to just sell them to strangers willing to pay it. They’ve done a great job designing products that people want, but the other aspects of actually buying the products have been pretty poorly executed.
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

Obviously just an opinion but if it didn't have a bronco badge I think a lot more people would think its ugly. I personally think they look terrible.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

How does this new model hold up in televised slow-speed pursuits?
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

RXfiles wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 am Obviously just an opinion but if it didn't have a bronco badge I think a lot more people would think its ugly. I personally think they look terrible.
I don’t care for the Bronco Sport, but I like the actual Bronco (I’m biased due to my 1975 Bronco). The Sport is a crossover, so not a true SUV, where the Bronco is body-on-frame. The Sport is more akin to a Subaru and IMHO shouldn’t have the Bronco name on it. It’s creating a lot of confusion for the general public. I can’t tell you how many people have sent me pictures of the Sport saying that they saw a Bronco.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:43 am How does this new model hold up in televised slow-speed pursuits?
Best thing I've read all day! :wink:
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:43 am How does this new model hold up in televised slow-speed pursuits?
not sure ... but I've read it will get you to the airport quick enough you don't have to run for the gate. :happy

-------------------------------------------
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

I called a local dealership about the bronco. They told me I'd have to pay $100 to register with Ford just to have the ability to place an order. They also said there was no chance of getting one before summer 2022.
g2morrow

Post by g2morrow »

5280Tim wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:47 am I don’t care for the Bronco Sport, but I like the actual Bronco (I’m biased due to my 1975 Bronco). The Sport is a crossover, so not a true SUV, where the Bronco is body-on-frame. The Sport is more akin to a Subaru and IMHO shouldn’t have the Bronco name on it. It’s creating a lot of confusion for the general public. I can’t tell you how many people have sent me pictures of the Sport saying that they saw a Bronco.
I agree - the confusion is because the Bronco is now a lineup and not a model
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Be aware that some dealers and doing Dealer Markups on orders already placed, and you either agree to pay it or lose your place in line.

Like this: https://thebronconation.com/forums/thre ... ders.5727/

If you order....

1. As soon as you get you VIN, make sure that it is on the updated contract and the price is locked in.
2. Get two signature of Dealership Fiduciaries (GSM and GM) from the dealer on your contracts--some advise getting the signature notarized.

You may still be stuck with a "pay the extra $10,000 or go to the back of the line" scenario.

Honestly, as shady as this is, if everyone so affected just walked out then the behavior would stop.

I haven't seen such a feeding frenzy since the original Miata came out.
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

I reserved one the morning after the announcement on a whim. Placed order for Black Diamond March 2020. The hard top debacle really screwed up deliveries. I am unwilling to switch to softtop so I will wait. I'm in no hurry.
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

There are some dealerships that are not trying to take advantage of buyers. My reservation is with a dealer in Iowa offering $1k below invoice on every Bronco no matter the trim or options. There’s another one in West Virginia doing the same thing and another in Cali offering up a very solid deal. You just have to be careful.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

Fishing2retire wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:12 pm Seeing if any has ordered or currently has a new full-size Ford Bronco. If you have one how do you like it?
Go over to YouTube and see the feedback Scotty Kilmer is getting. In one word, they are "junk".
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

mrpotatoheadsays wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 am
Fishing2retire wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:12 pm Seeing if any has ordered or currently has a new full-size Ford Bronco. If you have one how do you like it?
Go over to YouTube and see the feedback Scotty Kilmer is getting. In one word, they are "junk".
Scotty and his followers think everything but mid-90s Toyotas are junk.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

mrpotatoheadsays wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 am Go over to YouTube and see the feedback Scotty Kilmer is getting. In one word, they are "junk".
Let me use this suggestion to demonstrate why Scotty Kilmer is not worth listening too unless you're in the mood for a laugh. Here's a summary of what he says about the Bronco when I search Youtube for "Scotty Kilmer Bronco." See if you notice a pattern.

9/19/21 - "RIP Ford Bronco"
* Ford has never built the new Bronco before.
* There's a chip shortage
* Don't buy any new design vehicle unless you got more money than sense"
* Total commentary on the title topic: 0:35
* Total runtime: 10:21
* Factual statements about Bronco reliability: 0

9/7/21 - "Ford's Answer to the Bronco Failure"
* Ford is opening Bronco off-road schools in 4 locations with a free class for owners
* Due to the delivery delays, it's the only place a lot of buyers can try one out right now.
* Total commentary on the title topic: 1:39
* Total runtime: 10:39

6/19/21 - "Avoid This New Ford Bronco at All Costs"
* Don't buy any Bronco, because the Bronco Sport is made in Mexico.
* Scotty personally thinks the engine is crap.
* A police office in Houston claimed the V6 in the Explorer breaks all the time, therefore the 4 cylinder in the Bronco is a stupid idea.
* Total commentary on the title topic: 0:53
* Total runtime: 10:22
* Factual statements about Bronco reliability: 1 (customer report of unspecified issue with torque converter)

12/29/20 - "Here's Why the New Ford Bronco is Fake."
* The speakers play a V-8 growl when you rev it.
* The actual engine is turbo 1.5L.
* Total runtime: 10:01
* Documented statements about Bronco reliability:

9/29/20 - "Avoid This New Ford Bronco at All Costs."
* The first pre-production test vehicle has rolled off the production line
* The base model will have steel wheels
* Maybe it will sell well if it isn't too expensive.
* Total commentary on the title topic: 1:51

So in general, he's making attention-grabbing claims, providing no factual basis for the claim (or on occasion using very limited anecdotes), and then moves on to other topics.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:56 pm
mrpotatoheadsays wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 am Go over to YouTube and see the feedback Scotty Kilmer is getting. In one word, they are "junk".
Let me use this suggestion to demonstrate why Scotty Kilmer is not worth listening too unless you're in the mood for a laugh. Here's a summary of what he says about the Bronco when I search Youtube for "Scotty Kilmer Bronco." See if you notice a pattern.

* Ford is opening Bronco off-road schools in 4 locations with a free class for owners
* Due to the delivery delays, it's the only place a lot of buyers can try one out right now.

* A police office in Houston claimed the V6 in the Explorer breaks all the time, therefore the 4 cylinder in the Bronco is a stupid idea.
* Factual statements about Bronco reliability: 1 (customer report of unspecified issue with torque converter)

So in general, he's making attention-grabbing claims, providing no factual basis for the claim (or on occasion using very limited anecdotes), and then moves on to other topics.
Not that I have any interest in a Bronco, but I do find it amusing that anybody puts weight behind the opinion of Scotty Kilmer. You basically summed up his stance on everything.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

So basically click bait YouTube videos
5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim »

And he’s targeting the Bronco Sport, not the actual Bronco. I’m not sure he knows the difference.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

It's way too early to know if this will be a good vehicle or not. Mechanics outside of dealers most likely won't see this vehicle for at least five years. The best place to keep tabs on it is probably carcomplaints.com in the short term.

It's brand new. I wouldn't want to risk buying the first year for this vehicle for this first generation. Let Ford work out some of bugs first.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/

Concerning Scotty, he's entertaining and really likes Toyotas and Lexus and motorcycles. His YouTube channel is far more interesting if you go to it to see old vehicles and information about common repairs. I wouldn't waste time on his thoughts on new vehicles that he hasn't worked on. He is also an expert in coming up with good titles for his videos.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

DW shopping for a new car to replace an aging Nissan Xterra.
Looked at and test drive the 2021 Bronco.
Eventually bought a loaded 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro in the exact color and trim she wanted for below factory list.
Worked out great. For us.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

g2morrow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:41 am
5280Tim wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:47 am I don’t care for the Bronco Sport, but I like the actual Bronco (I’m biased due to my 1975 Bronco). The Sport is a crossover, so not a true SUV, where the Bronco is body-on-frame. The Sport is more akin to a Subaru and IMHO shouldn’t have the Bronco name on it. It’s creating a lot of confusion for the general public. I can’t tell you how many people have sent me pictures of the Sport saying that they saw a Bronco.
Apparently this is a trend now for Ford....
Broncho and Broncho Sport
Mustang and Mustang Mach E

What's next, the Maverick Bret and the Maverick Bart? I'll take the Bret.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I recently drove one. I liked it, but didn't love it. Didn't have a hand grab above the driver's door, which would have been a deal breaker for me, believe it or not. Truthfully it seemed like another iteration of putting together the parts in the usual Ford parts bin. I like the styling and hope they sell well. But I didn't find it to be anything special.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Is the Bronco and the Bronco Sport radically different. I've only seen the Sports and they looked small to me. My uncle always drove a Bronco in the 70's and I remember them being pretty big.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Flashes1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:31 am Is the Bronco and the Bronco Sport radically different. I've only seen the Sports and they looked small to me. My uncle always drove a Bronco in the 70's and I remember them being pretty big.
Completely different https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021 ... ifference/
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

Flashes1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:31 am Is the Bronco and the Bronco Sport radically different. I've only seen the Sports and they looked small to me. My uncle always drove a Bronco in the 70's and I remember them being pretty big.
Yes, a lot different.

The people who do the naming for Ford should be fired immediately. I keep hearing people say "I seen multiple Broncos and they don't look that special". I'm about 99% sure they are talking about the Sport.

Then the whole Mustang thing. So dumb.

Then they had that ole brilliant idea of giving all your children the same first initial. Lets make sure that all the SUV's start with E. We don't know why we're doing this but so many people do it with kids so it must be smart!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dsmclone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 am
Yes, a lot different.

The people who do the naming for Ford should be fired immediately. I keep hearing people say "I seen multiple Broncos and they don't look that special". I'm about 99% sure they are talking about the Sport.

Then they had that ole brilliant idea of giving all your children the same first initial. Lets make sure that all the SUV's start with E. We don't know why we're doing this but so many people do it with kids so it must be smart!
All of this. I have a Maverick reservation, my least favorite thing about the truck (right now, having yet to drive it) is that it was named after a terrible 1970's two-door sedan.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:51 am
Yes, a lot different.

All of this. I have a Maverick reservation, my least favorite thing about the truck (right now, having yet to drive it) is that it was named after a terrible 1970's two-door sedan.
Just pretend it was named after a bitchin' 1980's (fictional) fighter pilot.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:04 am
g2morrow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:41 am
Apparently this is a trend now for Ford....
Broncho and Broncho Sport
Mustang and Mustang Mach E

What's next, the Maverick Bret and the Maverick Bart? I'll take the Bret.
The Maverick Goose.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:51 am
Well, if you want to horrify yourself even more, google what the old four doors looked like.

anyway, I did reserve one, but when it came right down to it, I did not order it. I want the manual transmission with 3 first gears, and I don't really think they'll sell me one. If they will, I'll have plenty of years to struggle through subsequent attempts to order one. I need a Bronco like I need a hole in my head.
This time is the same
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

The people who do the naming for Ford should be fired immediately.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them actually were. You hit the nail on the head. Cars start with F, trucks with E, and Mercuries with M. You could hear a product name and you couldn't picture what it was. Then when all the Lincolns became "Mark Something", I realized it was just internal trolling. Some people just want to see the world burn.
This time is the same
MorgansRun

Post by MorgansRun »

I've got one on order which should be assembled next week...can't wait!