Please recommend speakers for laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AQ

Please recommend speakers for laptop

Post by AQ »

These days my entertainment center is my laptop: getting news, zoom meeting, watching movies. But sometimes the sound volume is too low for my aged ears. It only occurred to me that I can get a speaker to connect to the laptop and then found plenty of choices out there. Any recommendation on brands/models? don't mean to seek any fancy ones but hope to get one with features to get higher but still crispy sound volume ... Thanks!
sureshoe

Re: Please recommend speakers for laptop

Post by sureshoe »

There really isn't a "good mini-speaker" brand out there. I have a couple sets I've bought over the years. You can't go wrong with Logitech, but there are lots of good no-names out there.

You can spend from $15 to $250. If you're playing music or need bass, I have these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BX ... UTF8&psc=1
and they're fine for $50.

For cheaper, no need for base, and plenty of sound, I have these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ ... UTF8&psc=1

In general $20 is fine if all you're doing is voice stuff and light youtube.

Both of those will create loud, quality sound. If you crank them up (like jamming to music), they're distort. You have to get more in the $100+ range if you want "better", but I don't think it's worth it.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

My wife and I each have a set of Logitech Z313 speakers connected to our desktop machines, and are very happy with them. Cost is around $50.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products ... 00382.html
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

I know this is not what you asked for, but have you considered headphones? I ask because you only mention yourself, and not others listening. I would suggest that headphones are typically better quality, more portable, and cheaper than comparable speakers. I personally prefer a noise canceling model--I'm currently wearing Bose QC 35 II's, though they are many years old. I'm sure better and cheaper options are now available.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

When I replaced my monitor, the new monitor did not have built-in speakers.

So, I found these at Costco:

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System
Features:
-200 Watts of Dynamic Power
-THX® Certified
-Two-Way Satellites' 3" Midbass Drivers
-6.5" Subwoofer
-Separate Primary and Subwoofer Controls

At the time they were selling for $129.99, but had a $60 discount, so my cost including sales tax was $75.24. Unfortunately the sale is over, but I would buy them again at full price.

They sound very, very good. They certainly have much more oomph than the typical computer speakers.

I had bought a cheaper set of Logitech speakers, but they are still in the box. I'll use them somewhere.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

These are pretty basic, not the epitome of high fidelity sound, but I bought these Creative Pebbles just because I wanted simplicity, fewer wires and less footprint and they sound surprisingly good for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791 ... UTF8&psc=1
queso

Post by queso »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:12 pm When I replaced my monitor, the new monitor did not have built-in speakers.

So, I found these at Costco:

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System
Features:
-200 Watts of Dynamic Power
-THX® Certified
-Two-Way Satellites' 3" Midbass Drivers
-6.5" Subwoofer
-Separate Primary and Subwoofer Controls

At the time they were selling for $129.99, but had a $60 discount, so my cost including sales tax was $75.24. Unfortunately the sale is over, but I would buy them again at full price.

They sound very, very good. They certainly have much more oomph than the typical computer speakers.

I had bought a cheaper set of Logitech speakers, but they are still in the box. I'll use them somewhere.

Broken Man 1999
Came here to recommend the same set. It goes on sale at Costco pretty frequently and I don't know if you can beat it for the money.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I have these:
https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m957238 ... Z4QAvD_BwE

except mine are computer beige. The volume control became unusable, so I just use the PC volume control. I have had them for more than 20 years. They are long discontinued, so if they finally gave up the ghost, I would probably get the Klipsch Pro Media, just by reviews and reputation.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:01 pm These are pretty basic, not the epitome of high fidelity sound, but I bought these Creative Pebbles just because I wanted simplicity, fewer wires and less footprint and they sound surprisingly good for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791 ... UTF8&psc=1
+1
rob

Post by rob »

For < $50... give these a try... Lots more options if your looking to spend a few hundred - Klipsch are good for more $$.... audioengine of you want active and lots more options if you run a desktop amplifier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145 ... UTF8&psc=1
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

AQ wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:32 pm But sometimes the sound volume is too low for my aged ears. It only occurred to me that I can get a speaker to connect to the laptop and then found plenty of choices out there. Any recommendation on brands/models? don't mean to seek any fancy ones but hope to get one with features to get higher but still crispy sound volume ... Thanks!
One thing to keep in mind is that you probably don’t have much high frequency acuity left. Comes with age and too much rock and roll. A lot of speakers tend to be deliberately bass heavy in accordance to the preferences of a younger target audience, which is exactly what you don’t need if you have old ears. You can alway futz with the equalizer settings on the computer to try to compensate, but if you’re doing that, there’s not a lot of justification for high fidelity speakers.

Which is to say, cheap is good if it sounds good.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

+1 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System

Can buy at Costco for $75-100. No brainer.
hirlaw

Post by hirlaw »

What about bluetooth speakers?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

hirlaw wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:39 pm What about bluetooth speakers?
Or bluetooth headphones. We have been happy with the hundred dollar range.
Topic Author
AQ

Post by AQ »

Many thanks for all great suggestions!

For clarification, I'm basically looking for something simple to help. Hopefully it's a plug-n-play, i.e. no need to install multiple wires and/or software drivers, ton of settings. The quoted remark below is probably right on money, i.e., likely I lost some high frequency hearing. I don't like bass heavy sounds. Instead high pitch sounds seem easier to understand. Some speakers do offer louder sounds but still not clear: not sure it's sound distortion due to speaker quality or something else (e.g. some setting is not right)

The use case is basically just youTube video show, and video calls like Zoom.

Thanks again!
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:13 pm
One thing to keep in mind is that you probably don’t have much high frequency acuity left. Comes with age and too much rock and roll. A lot of speakers tend to be deliberately bass heavy in accordance to the preferences of a younger target audience, which is exactly what you don’t need if you have old ears. You can alway futz with the equalizer settings on the computer to try to compensate, but if you’re doing that, there’s not a lot of justification for high fidelity speakers.

Which is to say, cheap is good if it sounds good.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I bought these and love 'em! Blue tooth or plug into laptop. $79

https://smile.amazon.com/KEiiD-Computer ... r+Speakers
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche