Any ID.4 owners on Bogleheads?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
angelescrest

Any ID.4 owners on Bogleheads?

Post by angelescrest »

I'm interested to know if there are any Bogleheads who own a Volkswagen ID.4, and what your thoughts are on the vehicle. I know there's a great deal of commentary on this forum from Tesla and other EV owners on their cars, but I'd love first-hand knowledge from anyone here on the ID.4.

How has it been working out for you in terms of reliability? I know in its first run there have been some challenges as VW has rushed it out the door, but I wanted to see if you had any second thoughts about the purchase.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Re: Any ID.4 owners on Bogleheads?

Post by angelescrest »

Not many it seems.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

angelescrest wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 pm Not many it seems.
Sorry, I don't have it but I'll also follow this thread. It's my current top choice if anything happens to my Leaf and I need to replace it.
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

I’ve got one on order - arrives Dec 2021.
I did order the non-boglehead trim - AWD in Red.
skis4hire

Post by skis4hire »

I own a Pro S RWD, my first EV.
It's been a great car so far and the range has exceeded my expectations especially on out of town trips.

The travel assist feature is pretty great, it steers for you and does ACC. You can activate it anywhere with lane lines, but it does best on highways and major roads, main limitation is sharp corners.

Seat comfort is great, back seat has tons of room.
The headlights rotate through corners as you steer to illuminate the road better which is pretty cool.
Normal EV things like being able to pre-heat/cool the car remotely are great.

Only downside so far has been a few bugs in the infotainment system, although its really hasn't been a big deal in my use. They are doing the first 'big' over the air update by the end of the year, that should have some fixes plus new features, and once that hits they're planning further quarterly updates. We already got one OTA update which was a refresh of the maps for the built in navigation.

In terms of reliability, no issues so far although I only have 2,500 miles down.
There are actually 2 recalls already, both were non-issues for me, and boiled down to checking if your car had an EU-config part instead of the US-config part, I haven't returned to the dealer for that.

I expect to keep the car for 10-15 years at least.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Have had my 1st Edition ID.4 about 5 months, and for the most part can echo skis4hire’s comments. Other than a couple of short trips, most of my 2500 miles are local trips under 10 miles. Like the ability to fast charge at EA for free thru mid-2024, but it’s easier and relatively cheap to just do a weekly home charge.

I haven’t had any mechanical issues, but from what I’ve heard the dealership technicians are struggling to learn and owners who have needed parts sometimes wait for weeks. I expect that situation will improve rapidly.

Love the very tight turning radius.

Some reviewers have pointed out that the Tesla M3 & Mach-E smokes the ID.4’s 0-60 performance. I find that I have more than enough pickup from a stop, along with the typical EV instant torque, to put a smile on my face.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Good to hear a couple positive experiences. Would love to see some data on reliability (I recognize it’s too early), but anecdotal BH tales are next best. Everything I’ve seen looks great, and my only concern would be whether or not the first year is a not so great batch. I’d also like to keep it well over 10 years. I test drove it and I agree, I don’t need more power.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

The ID.4 gets some poor reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcaivIzNTjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotuxCptcM4

I would stick with a Tesla or go with the Mustang.
FoolishJumper

Post by FoolishJumper »

My dad bought one and has enjoyed it and no problems for the past two months. His only issue has been with the Electrify America network (separate from the fact there is only one location in his 85k person town), and his intent is to 100% charge on them while that is free, but if he'd just pay to charge at home (and install a level two system in his garage) then that headache would be non-existent. Unfortunately he'd rather wander Walmart for 20 minutes plus a 30 min round trip drive - but I suppose he is retired and can only play so much golf, and the fact is he's always been a boglehead without knowing it.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

FoolishJumper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:20 pm My dad bought one and has enjoyed it and no problems for the past two months. His only issue has been with the Electrify America network (separate from the fact there is only one location in his 85k person town), and his intent is to 100% charge on them while that is free, but if he'd just pay to charge at home (and install a level two system in his garage) then that headache would be non-existent. Unfortunately he'd rather wander Walmart for 20 minutes plus a 30 min round trip drive - but I suppose he is retired and can only play so much golf, and the fact is he's always been a boglehead without knowing it.
I like your dad! Glad to hear he hasn’t had any issues.
anoop

Post by anoop »

MMiroir wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 pm The ID.4 gets some poor reviews.

The Mustang has been dinged for its overly complex cooling system that will be prone to failure down the line.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Why get an iD4 when there is a Tesla M3/Y? I mean, really I'm curious.
anoop

Post by anoop »

familythriftmd wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 pm Why get an iD4 when there is a Tesla M3/Y? I mean, really I'm curious.
They aren’t in the same class cost wise especially if you account for the tax rebate. Plus it comes with 3 years of free charging on Electrify America. Some folks think it rides better than the M-Y, and it also has a tighter turning radius. It likely has better fit and finish than the M-Y. And I like the way it looks.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

anoop wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:52 pm
familythriftmd wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 pm Why get an iD4 when there is a Tesla M3/Y? I mean, really I'm curious.
They aren’t in the same class cost wise especially if you account for the tax rebate. Plus it comes with 3 years of free charging on Electrify America. Some folks think it rides better than the M-Y, and it also has a tighter turning radius. It likely has better fit and finish than the M-Y. And I like the way it looks.
Thanks for your insight. Aren't we talking about 40k for iD4 vs the same for the M3?

For disclosure, I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm rooting for all the players right now.
anoop

Post by anoop »

familythriftmd wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:55 pm
Thanks for your insight. Aren't we talking about 40k for iD4 vs the same for the M3?

For disclosure, I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm rooting for all the players right now.
M-3 yes but that’s a much smaller car. This is more comparable to the M-Y.

I don’t have a dog either, just read a lot about these cars out of interest since my next crossover/SUV will probably be an EV.
bzcat

Post by bzcat »

We have a first edition that finally arrived earlier this year. The ID.4 is our second electric car, after we sold our Nissan leaf after six years.

I really enjoy driving and riding in the ID.4, and taking friends carpooling is a treat. So far zero issues with reliability.

One of the big differentiators for us vs Tesla, besides the price, was turning circle. We have to turn around in our driveway to emerge nose first on a busy road, but also getting in and out of parking spaces and making u-turns is very easy in the ID.4.

https://insideevs.com/news/498682/vw-id ... rcle-test/

I am not worried about repair costs. On the Nissan, we bought one set of tires and plenty of wiper fluid, and all our charging for the duration we had it was less than a grand.
anoop

Post by anoop »

bzcat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:06 pm One of the big differentiators for us vs Tesla, besides the price, was turning circle. We have to turn around in our driveway to emerge nose first on a busy road, but also getting in and out of parking spaces and making u-turns is very easy in the ID.4.
The AWD version gives up a little on this front. I think it's still better than the M-Y, though.
https://youtu.be/CxwuuDrLGFY?t=282

It also has better ground clearance than the M-Y.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

angelescrest wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:36 pm I'm interested to know if there are any Bogleheads who own a Volkswagen ID.4, and what your thoughts are on the vehicle. I know there's a great deal of commentary on this forum from Tesla and other EV owners on their cars, but I'd love first-hand knowledge from anyone here on the ID.4.

How has it been working out for you in terms of reliability? I know in its first run there have been some challenges as VW has rushed it out the door, but I wanted to see if you had any second thoughts about the purchase.
A guy locally that reviews a lot of EV's (a Youtuber) loves it. I think he got his parents to buy the ID.4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikheO2Nb3-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3UX1btbhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrhrnAQpIEE
squirm

Post by squirm »

Get the AWD. Along with better performance due to having two motors, you'll also get much better regen.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Good question. I love Tesla, and was a very early supporter. However, it mostly comes down to cost. The Y is something like $60k when all is said and done (not an exact quote). The ID.4 gets me around $10k in credits and net is like $35k when all is said and done. The 3 is much smaller for us (we haul kids and cargo), and is still much more expensive due to no more credits.

The other major variables that are really important (beyond size) is the smoothness and comfort. Tesla is harsh to me, the ID.4 drives really soft and super quiet, yet handles fine. I love a quiet, cozy ride. They are intentionally targeting folks who want a typical driving experience, including less regen (I happen to love the B more, just the right amount of regen for me).

Mach E costs a lot more when factoring in dealer markups, and I don’t like the driving experience as much. But the ID.4 has the worst software of them all right now.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:09 pmA guy locally that reviews a lot of EV's (a Youtuber) loves it. I think he got his parents to buy the ID.4
Excellent links. Thank you. I did skip the boring miles between Chattanooga and Colorado.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
WillGolfForFood

Post by WillGolfForFood »

Might be worth a call to your auto insurer.

We're planning to trade a Lexus IS 250 for either Tesla 3 or VW Id.4.

Buying the Tesla would increase our yearly insurance bill by $610.

Buying the Id.4 will reduce it $12.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

WillGolfForFood wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:35 pm Might be worth a call to your auto insurer.

Wow, that's surprising. What state/city are you in?
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

I drive the current year Audi Etron which while not the same think shares much of the same platform as the ID.4. Back in April got a great deal after receiving a $3k Costco rebate, about 6k in manufacterer incentives, the federal $7500 rebate, and a 8% dealer discount brought the $73k sticker price down to about $50k.

Its been great except in the last 6 months already had 2 warranty issues for which it went to the dealer and I was given the dealer's courtesy loaner for week at a time (First issue was motorized charge port door failed and needed replacement, second issue was a faulty tire pressure sensor)
newkidontheblock

Post by newkidontheblock »

WillGolfForFood wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:35 pm Might be worth a call to your auto insurer.

How old was the Lexus. My insurance rate has been based on the value of my car. We have 2 new cars and one of them is model y. Insurance rate is not different between the two cars.
kgw

Post by kgw »

I test drove the VW ID.4 and Tesla Model Y back-to-back.

I loved the turning radius, messaging seats, free charging for three years, and availability of the tax credit.

The cons were: it’s a bit smaller on storage space; the charge speeds are slower; range is much less; Electrify America is still sparse where I live.

I would’ve leased the ID.4 … but the numbers were horrible. Depreciation I anticipate would’ve been steep to own as well.

In the end, I bought the Model Y. I love it and don’t regret my decision.
WillGolfForFood

Post by WillGolfForFood »

angelescrest wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Wow, that's surprising. What state/city are you in?
Omaha
anoop

Post by anoop »

angelescrest wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:35 am But the ID.4 has the worst software of them all right now.
Bad software means less surveillance going on, so that's a plus!
skis4hire

Post by skis4hire »

familythriftmd wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:55 pm

Model Y is the competitor, VW id3 would be more comparable to the model 3 but not offered in the US.

Depends on trim but id4 is about $45k to start then gets $7.5k tax rebate. Model Y in non white is $55k or $17.5k more than the ID.4

Comparison points... Highway range is about 30 to 40 miles less than model Y. Storage space is about the same in the trunk and rear seats, model Y has the frunk which is where it pulls ahead.

Banana box test
https://youtu.be/UWJ7TpwLPjs
Bogle7

Why does it have to be complicated?

Post by Bogle7 »

15SEP2021
Test drove an ID.4
Wife approves.

07OCT2021
Well, things just got interesting.
We contacted a large local auto broker to buy a VW ID.4 Pro S AWD sometime in the next few months.
We were just informed that we have to go online and “reserve” one thru a local dealer.
Isn’t the point of a broker is not ever having to deal with a dealer?
This is ugly.

08OCT2021
We spent the $100 to reserve our ID.4.
Estimated delivery was given as June 2022.

23FEB2022
No change. No request for the next $400.

01MAR2022
VW suspends production because the wiring harnesses are made in Ukraine. Thanks Vlad.

10NOV2022
Car is delivered to dealer while we are on vacation in Europe. Dealer knows we are on vacation and has told us not to worry.

15NOV2022
Dealer tries to sell car to someone else, but our auto broker prevents that. Dealer is now on my s—- list.

20NOV2022
We buy the ID.4 from the broker.
We are happy after a 13+ month wait.

01DEC2022
Dealer sells my name to an extended warranty company and remains on my special list.

08JAN2022
Still happy. Fuel cost is about 5¢/mile.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
anoop

Re: Why does it have to be complicated?

Post by anoop »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 pm 08OCT2021
Wow, that's long wait. Did you get to test drive one before ordering?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 pm 15SEP2021
Test drove an ID.4
Wife approves.

07OCT2021
We contacted a large local auto broker to buy a VW ID.4 Pro S AWD sometime in the next few months.
We were just informed that we have to go online and “reserve” one thru a local dealer.
This is ugly.

08OCT2021
Several automaker are trying to move more towards this model, including Ford. I believe a broker can't make the order for you because they require a bunch of personal information (ie. copy of DL license) to insure that it is actually a customer order and not a dealer faking an order to stock their lot when cars are so limited.
TheoBanana

Post by TheoBanana »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 pm 15SEP2021
Test drove an ID.4
Wife approves.

07OCT2021
This is ugly.

08OCT2021
There are 2 or 3 available on lots here in the Twin Cities right now. While I share your disdain for dealers I doubt you will engineer a better deal via a broker on a car like the id.4 in the current climate.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 pm 08OCT2021
If your $100 reservation fee is anything like when I ordered my ID4, you will be expected to increase the total to $500 as the manufacturing date approaches. However this deposit is fully refundable if you chose to cancel, even after it arrives at the dealer. So it's technically not "spent".
anoop

Post by anoop »

Bumping an old thread in case there are any more id.4 owners now. I’m starting to tire of my RDX’s glitches and road noise esp on highways, so thinking seriously about ordering one.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

MMiroir wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 pm The ID.4 gets some poor reviews.

That's funny, Tesla is the king of poor reviews.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

anoop wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:32 pm Bumping an old thread in case there are any more id.4 owners now. I’m starting to tire of my RDX’s glitches and road noise esp on highways, so thinking seriously about ordering one.
Suggest you place that order while you continue to think about it. The $100 deposit is fully refundable and the backlog means you will wait awhile. The Felicity Ace loss doesn't help.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Search around the internet long enough and you'll find a poor reviews and great reviews about anything and everything in life.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

anoop wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:32 pm Bumping an old thread in case there are any more id.4 owners now. I’m starting to tire of my RDX’s glitches and road noise esp on highways, so thinking seriously about ordering one.
OP here. Have had our ID.4 for several months now, and it’s been exactly the car we needed. No problems so far, and the various complaints that people have had (which caused some concerns) ended up being unfounded for us. In hindsight, few of the internet reviews have been helpful, just ignore them and try it out for yourself, comparing with other options.

Part of the reason why I got it was because I wanted a smooth, quiet car, and on that it delivers. I noticed some wind noise at higher speeds when I first got it, but now I’ve tuned that out. I have the smaller 19” rims, which still perform well but aren’t as harsh as others. Much smoother feel than a Tesla, but some prefer that ride. Most importantly, it was the cheapest larger EV I could buy, so for the money it’s been excellent. Haven’t been to the gas station since—though I kind of miss that. Not!

Very happy with how they designed the battery pack, which is the most important thing. You better order one right away and get in line. You can always cancel, even after delivery as the dealer will be glad to mark it up.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

angelescrest wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:03 am
OP here. Have had our ID.4 for several months now, and it’s been exactly the car we needed. No problems so far, and the various complaints that people have had (which caused some concerns) ended up being unfounded for us. In hindsight, few of the internet reviews have been helpful, just ignore them and try it out for yourself, comparing with other options.

Part of the reason why I got it was because I wanted a smooth, quiet car, and on that it delivers. I noticed some wind noise at higher speeds when I first got it, but now I’ve tuned that out. I have the smaller 19” rims, which still perform well but aren’t as harsh as others. Much smoother feel than a Tesla, but some prefer that ride. Most importantly, it was the cheapest larger EV I could buy, so for the money it’s been excellent. Haven’t been to the gas station since—though I kind of miss that. Not!

Very happy with how they designed the battery pack, which is the most important thing. You better order one right away and get in line. You can always cancel, even after delivery as the dealer will be glad to mark it up.
Thanks for the updates. I’m glad you’re happy.

I have a Tesla, but I don’t know much about any other EVs. So I enjoy reading\learning from other folks first hand accounts.

Wishing you many happy years with it!
anoop

Post by anoop »

I did test drive one but just around the block. Dealer didn't want me to take it on the highway. On that limited test drive, I like the ride quality more than the Tesla. The main thing I didn't like was the noise (I think it was more road noise since most of the drive was at low speed). I was concerned that highway noise may be much worse. At this point the price is also much more attractive than the Model Y. I see they have made some improvements for 2022 and there will be some minor changes to the center console for 2023 when they switch to US production. I think I will go ahead and get in line since there's no obligation. Pretty much every car these days represents some kind of compromise regardless of price. I think it's the best looking EV.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

anoop wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:29 am

I did test drive one but just around the block. Dealer didn't want me to take it on the highway. On that limited test drive, I like the ride quality more than the Tesla. The main thing I didn't like was the noise (I think it was more road noise since most of the drive was at low speed). I was concerned that highway noise may be much worse. At this point the price is also much more attractive than the Model Y. I see they have made some improvements for 2022 and there will be some minor changes to the center console for 2023 when they switch to US production. I think I will go ahead and get in line since there's no obligation. Pretty much every car these days represents some kind of compromise regardless of price. I think it's the best looking EV.
The ride quality will almost certainly be firm. I’m guessing you drove a Pro S with 20” wheels. Try one with 19”, it makes a big difference. Note the rubber on these EVs are designed for less rolling resistance and also need to be hard/denser for the much higher weight, plus they are inflated to about 42 psi.
anoop

Post by anoop »

angelescrest wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:46 am
anoop wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:29 am

The ride quality will almost certainly be firm. I’m guessing you drove a Pro S with 20” wheels. Try one with 19”, it makes a big difference. Note the rubber on these EVs are designed for less rolling resistance and also need to be hard/denser for the much higher weight, plus they are inflated to about 42 psi.
Not possible to try since the dealer had only one available for test drives and yes it had the 20" wheels (Gradient package). I plan to get AWD Pro S without Gradient. I was fine with the ride quality of the Gradient, so I think it will be even better with the 19" wheels (I prefer comfort over handling, a reversal of preference from 20 years ago :)). The only other thing that bothers me is the dealer location. It's a bit far and lots of surface streets so it can take 30-40 min to get there. Hoping I won't need to go there often. I just placed the order and got a vague delivery date of mid 2022.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

anoop wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:54 am
angelescrest wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:46 am
Not possible to try since the dealer had only one available for test drives and yes it had the 20" wheels (Gradient package). I plan to get AWD Pro S without Gradient. I was fine with the ride quality of the Gradient, so I think it will be even better with the 19" wheels (I prefer comfort over handling, a reversal of preference from 20 years ago :)). The only other thing that bothers me is the dealer location. It's a bit far and lots of surface streets so it can take 30-40 min to get there. Hoping I won't need to go there often. I just placed the order and got a vague delivery date of mid 2022.
I think mid-2022 is very optimistic, but maybe not.
I'm very happy with the 1st Edition, although I've only put on about 4k miles in the 10 months I've had it. No real issues, and the ride is fine on my 20" tires. It's worth noting that, while the fully loaded tire pressure can be set at 42psig, I'm never fully loaded. So I run my tires at 35psig to improve thread wear and possibly also improve ride noise, although I didn't notice an issue at 42psig.

I've only been to a gas station once since May, and that was to top off a rental car on return to LAX last month . The price was a real shocker.
anoop

Post by anoop »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:22 am It's worth noting that, while the fully loaded tire pressure can be set at 42psig, I'm never fully loaded. So I run my tires at 35psig to improve thread wear and possibly also improve ride noise, although I didn't notice an issue at 42psig.
What are the numbers on the door jamb? I would probably not set it too far below that.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

anoop wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:32 am
neilpilot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:22 am It's worth noting that, while the fully loaded tire pressure can be set at 42psig, I'm never fully loaded. So I run my tires at 35psig to improve thread wear and possibly also improve ride noise, although I didn't notice an issue at 42psig.
What are the numbers on the door jamb? I would probably not set it too far below that.
In the US it is a legal requirement for the tire pressure label to only show the inflation pressures for a vehicle at its maximum load, a place where people only rarely drive. In the rest of the world there are usually a couple of pressures shown. The same car , with the same wheels & tires, is placarded for 45psi fully loaded, 36psi "normal load all-around", which is defined as 2 front passengers and some luggage. In almost all cases, I'm along and with little or no cargo.
anoop

Post by anoop »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:51 am
In the US it is a legal requirement for the tire pressure label to only show the inflation pressures for a vehicle at its maximum load, a place where people only rarely drive. In the rest of the world there are usually a couple of pressures shown. The same car , with the same wheels & tires, is placarded for 45psi fully loaded, 36psi "normal load all-around", which is defined as 2 front passengers and some luggage. In almost all cases, I'm along and with little or no cargo.
Now I remember the BMW manual had details about loading and tire pressure providing different pressures for various loading scenarios. The Acura manual does not. It just says to follow the door jamb.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

On a separate note, I am waiting on a $10,000 federal tax refund in large part due to the EV credit. In the end, I’m paying over $11,000 less than the average price of a new non-luxury vehicle for 2021 and over $15,000 less than the average price of a new vehicle (of any segment). It’s been a good move, financially, so far.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:51 am
How do lower PSIs get you better wear? I am interested to know if this is truly the case.