Wall Street Journal subscription or free

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MP173

Wall Street Journal subscription or free

Post by MP173 »

I realize this gets covered frequently and I did a search...the last one was a year ago.

Any suggestions for WSJ subscription or free access? I checked with our local library...the best they can do is access to archives a day after publication.

I do use archive.is website if I have the weblink for an article.

I subscribed for years and really enjoyed the paper. My son is interested in it now...might split a digital subscription with him.

Ed
Broken Man 1999

Re: Wall Street Journal subscription or free

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Keep your eyes open as the WSJ seems to run a 12 month, $4/month digital subscription frequently. Last time was Labor Day, and it was available until a few days ago.

Just for grins, I checked and the 12 month $4/month digital deal has been extended!

Even better, but rarer, is a 12 month, $4/month digital subscription and Saturday print edition. I recently bought a DD that particular deal.

Yesterday I cancelled my print and digital subscription that was costing me $9.99/month. I really enjoy the WSJ, but it was a daunting task to read the newspaper to the degree it made sense financially. I wasn't reading much other than the front pages and the opinion pages.

I still subscribe to The Economist print edition, and Bloomberg BusinessWeek print edition, for $46.99/year, and $2/year, respectively, so I will still get plenty of business-themed news.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Just an FYI, when my introductory subscription of $4/mo went to $15/mo, I kept it. However, after a while they raised it to $30/mo. I then called in and said that was too much for me as I was retired. They reduced it to $15/mo.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

The $4 per month digital plus Saturday print edition seems solid....will keep my eyes open.

ed
CenTexan

Post by CenTexan »

Wish I could find either that $9.99 month print deal - or even that $4 month digital/Sat print deal!
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

CenTexan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:09 am Wish I could find either that $9.99 month print deal - or even that $4 month digital/Sat print deal!
Try this link. Looks like it's only good for another couple of hours.

https://store.wsj.com/shop/us/us/wsjusl ... gLaHvD_BwE

P.S. It may not include the Saturday print version.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bgvg

Post by bgvg »

The articles are typically free if you access them from Google News or the WSJ’s Twitter feed. If there’s a particular article you want to read, just Google the article’s link. Sometimes this free option breaks if you load the article in a new background tab or it is just simply broken/disabled for a few days.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:31 pm Keep your eyes open as the WSJ seems to run a 12 month, $4/month digital subscription frequently. Last time was Labor Day, and it was available until a few days ago.

Just for grins, I checked and the 12 month $4/month digital deal has been extended!

Even better, but rarer, is a 12 month, $4/month digital subscription and Saturday print edition. I recently bought a DD that particular deal.

Yesterday I cancelled my print and digital subscription that was costing me $9.99/month. I really enjoy the WSJ, but it was a daunting task to read the newspaper to the degree it made sense financially. I wasn't reading much other than the front pages and the opinion pages.

I still subscribe to The Economist print edition, and Bloomberg BusinessWeek print edition, for $46.99/year, and $2/year, respectively, so I will still get plenty of business-themed news.

Broken Man 1999
Tips on how to get the Economist print edition for $47/year?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Maverick3320 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:31 pm Keep your eyes open as the WSJ seems to run a 12 month, $4/month digital subscription frequently. Last time was Labor Day, and it was available until a few days ago.

Broken Man 1999
I subscribed in 2019 using a link provided by a BH:

viewtopic.php?t=282307

Unfortunately that opportunity is gone.

The nice thing about the link was the group selling it keeps the price the same for renewals, though the cost is actually $47.99. I have renewed twice so far, and my price was kept the same.

The entity I have subscribed through is discountmags.com, and their renewal price is called DiscountLock.

I didn't see The Economist even offered at their site just now.

A quick 'net search didn't find very cheap, or even cheap prices for the magazine.

Sorry!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

My local county library system has an online magazine service for free if you have a library card with them. It includes a large number of magazines including the Economist. It is quick and easy from home to check out the latest edition and read online. In additional to magazines it has access to Morningstar and other online resources. You should check to see if your local library system offers it.

Unfortunately mine doesn't have the WSJ so I have to subscribe to that I my own dime.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

Sage16 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:48 pm
My local county library system has an online magazine service for free if you have a library card with them. It includes a large number of magazines including the Economist. It is quick and easy from home to check out the latest edition and read online. In additional to magazines it has access to Morningstar and other online resources. You should check to see if your local library system offers it.

Unfortunately mine doesn't have the WSJ so I have to subscribe to that I my own dime.
My library in IL has access to Proquest. Patrons can login to this system using their library card and PIN. The WSJ is available on-line for free for patrons of the library.
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

MP173 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:28 pm I realize this gets covered frequently and I did a search...the last one was a year ago.

Any suggestions for WSJ subscription or free access? I checked with our local library...the best they can do is access to archives a day after publication.

I do use archive.is website if I have the weblink for an article.

I subscribed for years and really enjoyed the paper. My son is interested in it now...might split a digital subscription with him.

Ed
Check this site:
https://education.wsj.com/search-students/
if you have a child/grandchild/spouse with University connection. You typically need a .edu account with the University, but some Universities offer free classes for retirees so you can get an account that way. I get my WSJ digital subscription for free with my .edu account, though not all Universities subscribe (my son's does not, even though it is an expensive private institution - go figure!)

Wrench
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

The offer is still up. I cancelled my subscription nearly 5 years ago and haven't missed it except for Jason Zweig. He's worth $48 but then the subscription auto-renews at $39/month after one year. Home delivery for the Saturday edition. Quite a good deal!
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

My edu account went from 9 to 15 monthly this year, which of course I wish it hadn't, but I've kept it as it's the daily morning read that lands in the driveway and so avoids looking into a screen to start the day. The Saturday edition is largely worth the cost all by itself.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Thanks for the link for the $4 per month (one year) with Saturday print edition.

I signed up yesterday and received a digital edition immediately.

Today I received the digital print edition. Nice to have the WSJ back in my life.

Ed
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

So where does this stand now?
Is it possible to get the total daily digital edition of the Wall Street Journal online through the local library?