Advice on a Scanning Medical Records Project

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BuddyJet

Advice on a Scanning Medical Records Project

Post by BuddyJet »

My daughter does psychological testing that is paper based and is required to keep the information from the paper documents available for as much as 17 years from the test date. Storage has become an issue so she is looking at scanning all her past files as well as for the future. The need is purely archival and OCR is not required.

We're looking at a scanner like the Fujitsu 7160 since the number of pages per file averages about 125 and there are so many files to scan.

Any advice on scanner selection or about a largish scanning project will be appreciated. We know that staples will need to be removed but how good are the scanners at separating previously stapled pages? Also, can the scanners handle a mix of paper sizes in a batch? Anything that we need to consider in planning this project?
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Metsfan91

Re: Advice on a Scanning Medical Records Project

Post by Metsfan91 »

BuddyJet wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 pm My daughter does psychological testing that is paper based and is required to keep the information from the paper documents available for as much as 17 years from the test date. Storage has become an issue so she is looking at scanning all her past files as well as for the future. The need is purely archival and OCR is not required.

We're looking at a scanner like the Fujitsu 7160 since the number of pages per file averages about 125 and there are so many files to scan.

Any advice on scanner selection or about a largish scanning project will be appreciated. We know that staples will need to be removed but how good are the scanners at separating previously stapled pages? Also, can the scanners handle a mix of paper sizes in a batch? Anything that we need to consider in planning this project?
We have used older version of fujitsu scanner for scanning paper. It worked for us. We used a 3rd party software to do the scanning...Looking at the product description, this scanner can handle up to 80 pages on its feeder. So, as the pages drop off from the feeder, remaining pages will have to be loaded if all the pages are to stay together (this strategy has worked for me). Of course there is nothing wrong with storing these pages in separate files. It claims to handle mixed paper sizes. It should be able to. Scanner's sensor detects the paper on its feeder. It'll scan the next item whatever it is. If you are specifying size when you are initiating scan job, you probably will want to specify the largest size so that nothing gets cropped off. It supports saving as PDF file. ..After removing staple, I flip the pages so that pages are not stuck to each other...Good luck.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Topic Author
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

@Metsfan91

Thanks for the info. Which third party software did you go with and why did you select that software over what’s included with the scanner?
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

BuddyJet wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:42 pm @Metsfan91

Thanks for the info. Which third party software did you go with and why did you select that software over what’s included with the scanner?
We used a custom software. It scanned files and stored in the Record Management System. Included software could not do this for us.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I love my Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500. I've used it for many cartons of old papers and every important--and many not so important--papers that comes into my house. It only has a hopper for 50 pieces of paper, but if I have more to scan, I just scan them into files "Part1", "Part2", etc. I actually prefer that to having huge PDF files. The software that comes with the machine is perfectly adequate if you just want to scan to PDF files. There is no reason to skip OCR since on a modern computer it adds pretty much zero time to the scanning process, and can be very handy later for searching. If you do decide to OCR, look at the options carefully, since the default (I believe) is to just OCR the first page.

Different sizes of paper are not a problem with the ix500, although I don't have a lot of experience with that (the grab rollers are in the middle of the page). Staples can be an issue. You need to find them, remove them, and then slide the paper back and forth to make sure one slides easily over the other. If you forget a staple (and I have) the machine jams, you take the paper out, remove the staple, smooth out the wrinkles caused by the jam, and continue where you left off, not a big deal.

I think you will be surprised how quickly it goes.
LISD

Post by LISD »

Check out the Raven & Raven Pro scanner. It's on Amazon, or you can buy direct.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Have you looked at outsourcing the scanning? You might find local companies who can do it in bulk cheaper.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Those files are a challenge. In our state you must keep them until the child is 21, so young children can be kept a long time, as you mention. In my practice, I kept reports and related case notes of feedback sessions with the client, parents, school personnel, comments informing consent, etc. but not most of the file forms or actual test forms. Your state may vary in requirements but continuing education also supported that approach. There are, of course, other requirements when the files are destroyed. Scanning would have been a huge project, and it is very common for the required "safe place" for storage is often liberally interpreted. I retired almost fifteen years ago and still have a few remaining files. By the way, I have never been asked for copies or had other requests for a file since retirement.

Tim
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

BuddyJet wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 pm Any advice on scanner selection or about a largish scanning project will be appreciated. We know that staples will need to be removed but how good are the scanners at separating previously stapled pages? Also, can the scanners handle a mix of paper sizes in a batch? Anything that we need to consider in planning this project?
I use ScanSnap ix1500. Scanned more than 500 books and thousands of paper documents.

A mix of paper sizes shouldn't be an issue but all of them have to fit on the scanner feeder.

Not sure what you mean by the scanners separating previously stapled pages; once staples are removed, each page is scanned separately front&back and becomes image data essentially. You will be able to arrange pages when creating a PDF.
Topic Author
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:03 am
BuddyJet wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 pm Any advice on scanner selection or about a largish scanning project will be appreciated. We know that staples will need to be removed but how good are the scanners at separating previously stapled pages? Also, can the scanners handle a mix of paper sizes in a batch? Anything that we need to consider in planning this project?
I use ScanSnap ix1500. Scanned more than 500 books and thousands of paper documents.

A mix of paper sizes shouldn't be an issue but all of them have to fit on the scanner feeder.

Not sure what you mean by the scanners separating previously stapled pages; once staples are removed, each page is scanned separately front&back and becomes image data essentially. You will be able to arrange pages when creating a PDF.
When I scan previously stapled pages through my printer/scanner, the pages that were stapled tend to stick together in feeding unless I fan the pages to separate before feeding.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

BuddyJet wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm When I scan previously stapled pages through my printer/scanner, the pages that were stapled tend to stick together in feeding unless I fan the pages to separate before feeding.
I see. SnapScan's feeder is excellent, I don't think you'll run into issues. I can't speak for other models though.
Topic Author
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Nowizard wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 am Those files are a challenge. In our state you must keep them until the child is 21, so young children can be kept a long time, as you mention. In my practice, I kept reports and related case notes of feedback sessions with the client, parents, school personnel, comments informing consent, etc. but not most of the file forms or actual test forms. Your state may vary in requirements but continuing education also supported that approach. There are, of course, other requirements when the files are destroyed. Scanning would have been a huge project, and it is very common for the required "safe place" for storage is often liberally interpreted. I retired almost fifteen years ago and still have a few remaining files. By the way, I have never been asked for copies or had other requests for a file since retirement.

Tim
Thanks for the note. Since I'm just the dad, I can't really speak to our state requirements but my understanding from her is that since all her psychological testing is paper based and this testing is her main practice, she has to keep the original paper and scoring or an image of the paper and scoring until the child's majority. I'll forward your message to her so she can verify what she is required to keep. Hopefully, the scan job scope can be a bit more limited but I'm not sure how much is a psychological board requirement and how much is backup for legal protection.
zie

Post by zie »

I agree with nowizard, make sure it's legal to scan and then destroy the originals in your location. I'd guess the law hasn't necessarily caught up yet. At $WORK, we pay the state to keep track of our archival paper for us. Electronic records are not yet legally allowed for all of our archival requirements.

Maybe your daughter has access to something similar, where they can just pay a fee for the service, and they will manage the problem for them. I imagine everyone else in your daughter's line of work has similar issues, it might make sense to see what their professional organizations use/recommend.

Otherwise I think the other answers are OK for the direct question. I'd however recommend your daughter contact the Federal Records Center(US govt - part of the national archives), they have a consulting service for records management available via email here: RMConsulting@nara.gov they probably have loads of useful information.
Whether rich or poor, a young woman should know how a bank account works, understand the composition of mortgages and bonds, and know the value of interest and how it accumulates. -Hetty Green
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

snackdog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am Have you looked at outsourcing the scanning? You might find local companies who can do it in bulk cheaper.
Also checkout local printing services like Staples or FedEx Kinkos. They provide scanning services (for a cost).
Some employers have multi-function copiers that can do high-speed scanning direct to PDF. It might be beneficial to ask your employer if usage is allowed (you would not be consuming paper, but adding wear/tear to the machine)... best to get permission.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

zincTwo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:04 pm
snackdog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am Have you looked at outsourcing the scanning? You might find local companies who can do it in bulk cheaper.
Also checkout local printing services like Staples or FedEx Kinkos. They provide scanning services (for a cost).
Some employers have multi-function copiers that can do high-speed scanning direct to PDF. It might be beneficial to ask your employer if usage is allowed (you would not be consuming paper, but adding wear/tear to the machine)... best to get permission.
I'm guessing using Staples etc. would not be allowed per HIPAA privacy rules
Topic Author
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

prd1982 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:52 pm
HIPAA is an issue with outside services. The other main issue is that along with the past files to be scanned there are the ongoing files to be done as well.

My current thought is to scan ongoing files, also store them on paper for a year or two and scan the back archive starting with the most recent as time allows.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

prd1982 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:52 pm
HIPAA does not apply to non-Health entities. Having a document given to, scanned by a third party does not violate HIPAA, unless that third party is a health entity which created, stored, maintained, or can transmit it. Once it is in your hands, it is simply "personal information" and you can give it (or even talk about it) to anybody you want without breaking HIPAA... only the originating Dr, or any entity in their network or system cannot distribute.