What house maintenance thing did you do recently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
z91

What house maintenance thing did you do recently?

Post by z91 »

I've found random lists online of house maintenance things, but I feel like there are so many things missing from the lists and could probably be endless. Many things are a higher priority than others. I need some inspiration though, what have you done recently?

I've done a couple of things recently:

1) Flush out the water heater. My water heater is only 2 years old, but will be keeping an eye on the sacrificial anode rod replacement in the next 5-7 years.
2) Cleaning all the windows. What a big difference this makes, opening the windows feels so much more fresh.
Last edited by z91 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_T

Re: What house maintenance thing did you do today?

Post by Tom_T »

I tore off the old garage door seal and replaced it. I've only been putting this off for a couple of years. :wink:
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

Taking a bucket of duct sealer and going around plugging up any gaps between the duct outlet and the plaster behind each register, so that I'm not losing conditioned air into the wall cavity.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

This week I have to:
Remove damaged dry wall in my garage, hang new pieces, and then mud it
Spray foam a few crevices/gaps on the exterior of my house
Caulk a few places on the exterior of my house that the window installers missed
Bogle7

Stained the fence - a work in progress

Post by Bogle7 »

Stained (with lots more to do) the fence. We use brushes for good coverage.
Cabot semi-solid oil-based stain. Two coats. I think it going to take about 7-8 "gallons" of stain.
We stained it 7 years ago with 9 cans of a semi-transparent oil-based stain and that faded significantly.
24SEP2021 - South side (380 sqft, including 2 gates) now complete with 2 coats.

I use Things from Cultured Code as my GTD mechanism. https://culturedcode.com/things/
I have a "Honey-Do" list on it. The tasks range from small (paint a spot) to large (fancy up the garage).
Last edited by Bogle7 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Yesterday I went through a large hall pantry storage closet while DW sat in a chair nearby and supervised. I removed items and got "approval" for stuff we might give away/gift/donate.

It was somewhat cathartic to declutter a bunch of unneeded "stuff" including a fondue pot from 30 or 40 years ago, old glass flower vases, plastic storage containers, and so on.

This morning a masked friend dropped by and snatched 2 of the items. Then I took photos of the remainders and posted it on Craigslist/Free stuff. Hoping to get rid of everything by the end of the day, or tomorrow.

Isn't life exciting? (especially during the pandemic!).
Last edited by Jazztonight on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

I called AT&T to come take down old phone lines between the pole and the house. I just prefer a cleaner look.
it was free and easy to ask, and they will come within 10 days.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Gasket between toilet and tank started gushing water. Had to replace it. Was 20 years old and crumbled in my hands, once removed.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Having the kitchen redone, no structural mods just cabinets, counters, backsplash and floors, next week and I'm doing the demo portion to save a few bucks. Started the process today and it's going well. I did find out that I'm not as young as I once was! ;)
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Maintenance is an ongoing task and along with it comes updating items to improve the home. I would suggest a "walk-through" to identify what needs maintenance since homes differ by style and age. We recently had our toilets upgraded to the new "comfort-height" models. I can think of several other improvements we have made over the years. Here is a brief list of things that come to mind:

Installed a wifi thermostat.
installation of a hot water recirculation pump to get hot water to the master bath more efficiently.
replaced the air to air heat exchanger.
mesh wifi system
replaced Formica countertops with Cambria in the kitchen.
replaced 25 yo cedar deck with composite deck.
replaced landscaping
replaced Rain Bird controller with a Rachio wifi controller.
replaced asphalt shingles with steel shingles

These are some of the many that I have done or have had done by others.
Homeownership is an adventure.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

BIGal wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:19 pm Maintenance is an ongoing task and along with it comes updating items to improve the home. I would suggest a "walk-through" to identify what needs maintenance since homes differ by style and age. We recently had our toilets upgraded to the new "comfort-height" models. I can think of several other improvements we have made over the years. Here is a brief list of things that come to mind:

Installed a wifi thermostat.
installation of a hot water recirculation pump to get hot water to the master bath more efficiently.
replaced the air to air heat exchanger.
mesh wifi system
replaced Formica countertops with Cambria in the kitchen.
replaced 25 yo cedar deck with composite deck.
replaced landscaping
replaced Rain Bird controller with a Rachio wifi controller.
replaced asphalt shingles with steel shingles

These are some of the many that I have done or have had done by others.
Homeownership is an adventure.
Since topic is what "did you do today", I was initially impressed by your list.

Today one of the four 4-day old smoke/CO alarms that I installed last Thursday suddenly sounded a 3-chirp malfunction alarm. After I reset it twice (once after removing the batteries) and the malfunction alarm repeated, I removed the unit and contacted the seller for an RMA/replacement.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I cleaned out my garage.

Translation: transported golf clubs from garage to auto trunk; to the golf course.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Dusted floors and cleaned toilet.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Changed the HVAC filter. Put a note on calendar to do again in 3 months.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I've been putting off inspecting my water heater anode. At this point, I need to just plan on replacing it and get it ordered.

Yesterday:

Leveled a portion of lawn that was previously not very smooth. Heavy rain started before reseeding, but that will get done shortly.

Checked the gutters for leaks. A couple places need closer inspection, and hopefully just a cleaning. Two downspouts that terminate underground might need to be dug up and drain rock added. Water was fountaining upward from the last joint in the gutter. I would not put it past the previous owner to have simply buried the pipe underground without a suitable length of perforated pipe and rock.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 pm I've been putting off inspecting my water heater anode. At this point, I need to just plan on replacing it and get it ordered.

Yesterday:

Leveled a portion of lawn that was previously not very smooth. Heavy rain started before reseeding, but that will get done shortly.

Checked the gutters for leaks. A couple places need closer inspection, and hopefully just a cleaning. Two downspouts that terminate underground might need to be dug up and drain rock added. Water was fountaining upward from the last joint in the gutter. I would not put it past the previous owner to have simply buried the pipe underground without a suitable length of perforated pipe and rock.
Does cutting grass count?

Re the gutters: I have a big leak along a seam on an inside 90* angle (inside corner of an L). Gutters have been up ~7 years. First time I've had gutters in a house that long so am unfamiliar with what to do. Suggestions? Do I need to call a gutter guy or can I seal it somehow? Probably impossible for me to access it from above to seal it (metal roof, gutter guards, and steps in that corner), but I could probably reach it from underneath.

A quick & dirty answer or two would be appreciated so as not to derail this thread.
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Lint trap cleared on the side of the house.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Trimmed low hanging tree branches so the mower guy can get through.

Used a small pruning handsaw.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Well, I sat inside and worked at my computer to help pay for this year's assessment ($45,000) at my condo development, while the workers outside are working very hard on delayed exterior maintenance and repairing condemned balconies (this is down the road in California for most apartment/condos because of our new balcony law, after the group of students were killed in Berkeley a few years back when the balcony fell off an apartment building). It's our first assessment in the ten years I've owned my condo, and the condo is now selling for about $320,000 more than I paid for it, so it's not something I'm upset about. I will not be buying new carpet this year, though. :mrgreen:
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I replaced two sections of screen on the porch.
Being wrong compounds forever.
walnut

Post by walnut »

Emptied the waste baskets🙂. (Retirement home after 50+ yrs of home ownership.)
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Replaced the Fridge water filter.

Checked the state of the AC cover as it's almost time to "clean and cover the AC unit" for the winter. The old cover is crumbling - I need a new one. Checked the state of the exterior spigot cover - it somehow got smushed and broken... I need a new one.

While measuring the AC unit - Took note of the state of Marigold seed pods - as it's almost time to "harvest" them (to plant next year).

Purchased a new exterior spigot cover and a new cover for my AC unit online.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Filled pantry with canned goods from old home.
Vacuumed living room - hard wood- first time.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:28 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 pm Checked the gutters for leaks. A couple places need closer inspection, and hopefully just a cleaning. Two downspouts that terminate underground might need to be dug up and drain rock added. Water was fountaining upward from the last joint in the gutter. I would not put it past the previous owner to have simply buried the pipe underground without a suitable length of perforated pipe and rock.
Re the gutters: I have a big leak along a seam on an inside 90* angle (inside corner of an L). Gutters have been up ~7 years. First time I've had gutters in a house that long so am unfamiliar with what to do. Suggestions? Do I need to call a gutter guy or can I seal it somehow? Probably impossible for me to access it from above to seal it (metal roof, gutter guards, and steps in that corner), but I could probably reach it from underneath.

A quick & dirty answer or two would be appreciated so as not to derail this thread.
The first thing I would do is on a dry day, clean the seam from the inside thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, then apply a good outdoor caulk.

If you are not sure how to remove the gutter guard or are not comfortable doing so, call a contractor that does gutter work.

You can try sealing it from the outside since it sounds like access is better, but the sealing should last longer if applied on the inside.

I have another spot where the existing gutters have a section of downspout run nearly horizontally. The downspout was damaged, and I was in a hurry to patch it before the next rain arrived. I tried aluminum furnace tape. As above, I cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol so the tape would adhere well, and I carefully pressed it into all the corrugations of the downspout. I ended up getting probably 5+ years out of that. When it started leaking, I repeated the same patch job. It's leaking again, so I need to remember to pick up a new section of downspout, and I think a couple elbows, and outright replace it.
Robert The Bruce

Post by Robert The Bruce »

I live in the desert and this year’s monsoons were hard on my gravel yard. I was out earlier, shoveling gravel and sand back into the erosion areas.
We have a well but we also have a 2500 gal tank for backup. The tank is independent of the well, it has to be filled by a water hauling service. It occurred to me that the tank pump had not ran in several months so I turned some valves to get It some exercise. Need to add that to my first of the month list.
The stingy man pays the most. - Ray Magliozzi
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 pm Checked the gutters for leaks. A couple places need closer inspection, and hopefully just a cleaning. Two downspouts that terminate underground might need to be dug up and drain rock added. Water was fountaining upward from the last joint in the gutter. I would not put it past the previous owner to have simply buried the pipe underground without a suitable length of perforated pipe and rock.

The first thing I would do is on a dry day, clean the seam from the inside thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, then apply a good outdoor caulk.

If you are not sure how to remove the gutter guard or are not comfortable doing so, call a contractor that does gutter work.

You can try sealing it from the outside since it sounds like access is better, but the sealing should last longer if applied on the inside.

I have another spot where the existing gutters have a section of downspout run nearly horizontally. The downspout was damaged, and I was in a hurry to patch it before the next rain arrived. I tried aluminum furnace tape. As above, I cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol so the tape would adhere well, and I carefully pressed it into all the corrugations of the downspout. I ended up getting probably 5+ years out of that. When it started leaking, I repeated the same patch job. It's leaking again, so I need to remember to pick up a new section of downspout, and I think a couple elbows, and outright replace it.
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. It is just too precarious of a perch for me to attempt it. Before we had the metal roof put on, I would have just asked DW to tackle it as she deals with roofs better than I do :wink:

I might have made a feeble attempt if a repair from the bottom held much hope, but it's gonna be one of those jobs that everyone will be happier if it is just hired out. Thanks again!
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Workday. I only do household projects/chores on weekend.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Started the process of restoring the basement. Picked up 2x4s and some electrical boxes, mud rings, and Cat5e cable.
Put up replacement sheet rock in the hole in the kitchen ceiling where I repaired a pinhole leak last month.
Ran a Cat5e cable up to the kitchen (gamer son insists he needs a hard line) since I have access to the rim joist area as part of the basement disaster.
Tomorrow I will swing by the rental property, top off the water softener, change the AC filter, and drop off a replacement cartridge for the whole house sediment filter.
Working the next few days after that, but will begin the basement resto in earnest on Saturday.
Cheers
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

In the process of regrading the yard to (hopefully) avoid water in the basement going forward. Not as involved as it sounds. I've been doing it one small section at a time.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Taken out trash.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

I replaced two drip lines around hedges in my yard. I had installed them 10 years ago and the drip emitters were starting to blow out, which causes pressure loss further down the line. I'm replacing them with the tubing that has emitters built-in at certain distances, supposed to last longer.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

spent most of Saturday up in a huge tree cutting a monster branch that broke in a storm the day before.

Cut Saturday, cleaned up Sunday, need to burn this weekend, a nice Fall fire it will make.

Always find the tree/branch removal threads on this forum interesting. Never seems cheap to have a tree removed.
realmad

Post by realmad »

Lubricated garage doors
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Nothing today, but weekends are a different story. This past weekend, mowed the lawn and sealed the driveway.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
z91

Post by z91 »

Wow lots of stuff to add to my list..keep it coming folks. I need to do a lot of these, looks like my weekends are going to be packed lol.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm

I haven't found that tapes hold up in that application, largely due to temperature variation causing separation. What has worked are spray on rubber sealant (like Flex Seal) applied to the clean interior surface. (I generally cleaned first and allowed to dry for a good period, usually done in a warmer/hot day, then generously coat areas needed... and reapply a few days later, albeit not quite as generously.)
I test with a hose filling up the gutter to insure it drains without leaking. I've found that approach has worked well.

..and, as far as the thread topic, I'd checked and sprayed for carpenter bees as well as wasp nests, sprayed around the house exterior for bugs, and am getting ready to re-cement the edge/top bricks to the buried blocks of the walkway to the lower yard (need to get them stable to walk on) and then do the last of the three deck levels (replacement and treatment).
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Just had a window washer clean the outside while we did the inside. Some of the windows are twenty feet up and best done by a professional. Plumbers put in a new 50 gallon propane water heater while I changed the humidifying canister, purchased at 35% off from Amazon. Added salt and rust remover to my water softener. Turn off AC and cover with drop cloth in preparation for winter. DW is raking and blowing the driveway of pine needles so they don't get buried in the gravel. Next, take off window screens and put in basement. Check and charge the battery of Polaris UTV snow plow. Install a new trail camera at entrance of driveway to ward off "trespassers. And so it goes....

Oh, I no longer paint the house. As a BH, $10,000 is not too much to have someone do it. I will be 85 in January.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Sprayed preemergent herbicide to head off next year's crabgrass crop.

I fought the lawn and the lawn won,
I fought the lawn and the lawn won.
Semper Augustus
coldaudio

Post by coldaudio »

Replaced the kitchen faucet when the old one sprung a significant leak. Bonus for now having one that we can finally fit large pots and pans under!
celia

Post by celia »

Today?

changed the toilet paper roll
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

z91 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:39 pm I've found random lists online of house maintenance things, but I feel like there are so many things missing from the lists and could probably be endless. Many things are a higher priority than others. I need some inspiration though, what have you done recently?

I've done a couple of things recently:

1) Flush out the water heater. My water heater is only 2 years old, but will be keeping an eye on the sacrificial anode rod replacement in the next 5-7 years.
2) Cleaning all the windows. What a big difference this makes, opening the windows feels so much more fresh.
Good for you!
Today? I think I filled the ice cube trays...over a couple of weeks, lately?:
1. Clean gutters.
2. Refresh caulk around door/seal dryer vent and siding holes with clear silicone.
3. Go through Preparedness/Emergency Supplies (big topic in our house, of late) - replenish, organize, label.
4. De-cobweb - ongoing. The spiders come inside to die here, as the weather turns.
5. Set mouse traps in shed and favorite mouse hangouts (we live in the country).

Speaking with a friend, fall is the time they clean up inside before being stuck inside the house for the winter. [for those of you who just love to clean...]
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.
NateH

Post by NateH »

recently:
new batteries in the smoke alarms
replaced cold water valve in the laundry washing machine - surprisingly easy.
washed the baffles in kitchen ventilation fan
yard has been aerated (paid a service)
replaced an AFCI with a regular breaker on a circuit because DW's fancy coffee machine would often trip it.
changed engine oil in the lawn mower

Leaves are starting to turn, so soon it will be time to blow out the irrigation system, safely before the first overnight freeze. I waited too long one year - big mistake.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Spackled a spot on the drywall in our walk-in closet where the cats had decided to establish a new scratching post.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

Found out that some insect bait I'd used, in my area, can be tossed and are not hazardous to the environment. It took a few days sleuthing to find the right person to weigh in on the issue - so now I can toss the remnants away - delighted!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Closed the pool today. Summer is officially over.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

jebmke wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:46 pm Closed the pool today. Summer is officially over.
Tomorrow. :(
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
rob

Post by rob »

Been redoing the roof of a now closed in deck over the last few weeks.... New insulation, plus foam + roofing material and running some cables over the roof to boot. Nasty work....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Smoke signals

Post by Smoke signals »

Nothing - renting for now and enjoying the joys of non-homeownership.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

FandangoDave5010 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:19 pm
Oh, I no longer paint the house. As a BH, $10,000 is not too much to have someone do it. I will be 85 in January.
Do I have to wait until I'm 85 to stop painting the house? I'm in my 60s and I told my wife, this is the last time.

I admit, I get the guys to put scaffolding up on the hard parts now which makes it much easier for an old man.
Topic Author
z91

Post by z91 »

Ended up building a few planter boxes for the kids, turned out well I think. Now just need to see if they have green thumbs!