Putting a car into storage - the issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Putting a car into storage - the issues

Post by Barefootgirl »

There is a possibility I will be given a long term (9 month) volunteer project opportunity in Europe, beginning sometime in 2022 (TBD).

I am considering the implications of such a move. One issue is what to do about my car. I really do not want to sell it. It's a great Toyota RAV 4 with low mileage. I have been thinking about dropping the registration, dropping insurance but for comprehensive and putting it into a storage unit near the home of my relatives.

I would want to drive it again when I return to the US.

Have any of you parked a car in storage for some length of time?

What issues should be considered in such a situation? Thank you.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
rob

Re: Putting a car into storage - the issues

Post by rob »

With a mass market car and no special value... I would sell because prices are high and rebuy when you get back. The storage costs make it non-viable unless it's a special car.

Otherwise - for 9 months, I'd not do a lot. Maybe a fresh oil change and some stablize in the fuel. If you want to go all in, you could jack it up on stands so the weight is not on the tires...
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

• wash the car and clean the interior. Condition the leather if equipped
  • change the oil
  • fill the tank with fresh fuel and add stabilizer
  • put the car on jackstands to get the tires off the ground
  • plug in a battery tender
  • put plastic wrap under the wiper blades
  • stuff a rag in the tailpipe. Use a brightly-colored one so you don't forget to remove it
onourway

Post by onourway »

If it will be stored indoors, for 9 months you don't really need to do much. Over-inflate the tires by 10-15psi to help prevent flat spots. Store it with a fresh oil change and a full tank of fuel to limit condensation in the tank. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery, and/or keep it on a battery tender.

What are storage costs in your area? In ours it's ~100/month so no a big deal to pay to store it for 9 months.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One potential problem is that rodents may get into the storage unit and either nest in the car or chew on the wiring which may be made of a soy based plastic.

Be sure to put lots of rat and mouse bait in the storage unit so that it does not all get eaten and run out.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Watty wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:24 am One potential problem is that rodents may get into the storage unit and either nest in the car or chew on the wiring which may be made of a soy based plastic.

Be sure to put lots of rat and mouse bait in the storage unit so that it does not all get eaten and run out.
Yep. Rodents just chewed my ignition wire. Cost me $350.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I would put a teaspoon of oil in each of the holes, and hand crank 10 or so revolutions. I would not change the oil until pulling out of storage.
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

What happens if you extend your project? Are you going to keep storing for a longer period of time? With the current used car market, I'd get a couple of quotes on what you could sell for, and then make a decision.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I stored a car for two years in a climate-controlled moving company warehouse (paid for by Megacorp). I put it inside of a storage bag with dessicant. I emptied the gas tank (removed it from the car and dumped it into a gas can), changed the oil, disconnected the battery and put it in a plastic bin in the trunk. Jack stands weren't an option so I pumped up the tires to 50 psi.

The car was in great shape when removed from the bag. There was still plenty of air in the tires and no flat spots. The battery was dead and couldn't be revived, so the previous battery tender suggestion is a good one. Though I would want the battery and tender located where someone would monitor it, perhaps at your relative's house instead of in the storage unit.

If there's any possibility this assignment might be extended I would probably sell, as rob suggested.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Great suggestions so far from everyone.

Additionally:

Can you have a relative drive the car once in awhile, monthly? Bimonthly?

Battery tender on the battery whether disconnected or connected. Be sure it also desulfates in its cycle.
Mouse and rat traps a must. Have relatives check the traps and replace as needed. Some leave the hood up.
Several boxes of baking soda with open tops in the interior to absorb musty and funky odors.
If humid climate, do not stuff rags and seal up exhaust pipe (condensation/rust)
Gas stabilizer in the gas tank.

Leave ownership papers, registration, etc, and either a power of attorney to sell the car or you can have it signed and mailed to a relative to sell the car for you if you decide to be away for longer or no longer want the car.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Have you considered letting your relatives just occasionally use the car rather than storing it? Seems like it could be a simpler alternative.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Chip wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:51 am I stored a car for two years in a climate-controlled moving company warehouse (paid for by Megacorp). I put it inside of a storage bag with dessicant. I emptied the gas tank (removed it from the car and dumped it into a gas can), changed the oil, disconnected the battery and put it in a plastic bin in the trunk. Jack stands weren't an option so I pumped up the tires to 50 psi.

The car was in great shape when removed from the bag. There was still plenty of air in the tires and no flat spots. The battery was dead and couldn't be revived, so the previous battery tender suggestion is a good one. Though I would want the battery and tender located where someone would monitor it, perhaps at your relative's house instead of in the storage unit.

If there's any possibility this assignment might be extended I would probably sell, as rob suggested.
2 years. Wow.
I have never heard of a car "storage bag". Very cool.
Thanks for the link to the car storage bag.

We store farm and other equipment, ATV's, trucks, etc, sometimes for a full year, seasons, etc.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
boglenole

Post by boglenole »

A tip from boat storage - dryer sheets.

Put them at various places in the interior/trunk. Also place them at various places under the hood. Two benefits:
1. It will keep your car smelling nice while in storage.
2. Rodents do not like the smell and will avoid it.

We do this routinely with boat storage and have not had an issue.

The idea of rag in the tailpipe is good as well as mice love that area. For all above suggestions - make sure to remove/discard upon your return before starting/driving the car.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:57 am Have you considered letting your relatives just occasionally use the car rather than storing it? Seems like it could be a simpler alternative.
i'd opt for this route if possible.

-----------------------------------------
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:12 am
  • wash the car and clean the interior. Condition the leather if equipped
  • change the oil
  • fill the tank with fresh fuel and add stabilizer
  • put the car on jackstands to get the tires off the ground
  • plug in a battery tender
  • put plastic wrap under the wiper blades
  • stuff a rag in the tailpipe. Use a brightly-colored one so you don't forget to remove it
Yup. No big deal. Basically do this to my boat every year as part of the winterization process. Easier for a car since there is no water in it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

All good info above. Just to be clear, is the Rav 4 gas or a hybrid? Here are links from Toyota re long term storage that may be of use.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... age-%281-6

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... UyMQ%3D%3D

Oh, and keep comprehensive insurance coverage on it!