Kitchen trash bags that don't rip?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
z91

Kitchen trash bags that don't rip?

Post by z91 »

I have had used Costco's private label (Kirkland) for years, but noticed the last two batches I bought ended up having random bags that ripped. They'd leak and I end up having to double up the bag and clean it all up.

It looks like many other brands have gone downhill (e.g., "Glad," based on reviews I've read). I'm at about time to buy some more bags, but don't want to commit to another 200 bags without the expert advice here. I don't mind paying more for bags as long as they are quality.

What do you folks use?
livesoft

Re: Kitchen trash bags that don't rip?

Post by livesoft »

They are much more expensive, but one could use 2 mil thick trash compactor bags instead.

Our Kroger brand 13 gallon kitchen trash bags are fine. However, the way I use them: Line the tall kitchen garbage can. Do not put sharp objects exposed in the bag. When taking out the garbage, leave the liner in the garbage pail until the last possible moment: Tie up the bag while still in the garbage pail, carry the garbage pail with sealed bag outside to the large roll-to-street garbage bin, lift kitchen garbage pail and "pour" the garbage in the tied-up liner into the bigger bin. DO NOT LIFT the liner by hand unless you know it is very light.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

We've used Kirkland kitchen bags for years and I can't recall one ever ripping. Is the bottom blowing out like they're overloaded, or are they catching?

Edit - come to think of it, we had a couple boxes of SimpleHuman bags once that someone gave us and they were pretty nice. I don't recall much else about them though.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

We’ve had no issues through hundreds if not thousands of these bags.

Hefty Strong Tall Kitchen Trash Bags, White, Unscented, 13 Gallon, 45 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DRE5KW/?t ... UTF8&psc=1
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
NewishBog

Post by NewishBog »

I bought Glad at Costco and they keep ripping at the seams. I guess I won't be buying kitchen bags at Costco anymore if both brands are bad now.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Buy Hefty bags and use livesoft's method of taking out the trash. I use Simple Human bags and rarely have a problem.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

We've long used Costco 13- gallon unscented white bags and haven't noticed any problems, including starting a new box about 2 weeks ago. They seem as strong as ever.

Our only ripping incident in the past decade involved a raccoon, and I doubt any household bags are impervious to motivated raccoon claws.

Marylander1
Last edited by Marylander1 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I would complain to Costco, get your money back for the faulty bags. But we've had no issues with them yet and would buy them again.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Having lived in high floor apartments where I've had to take trash bags down flights of stairs, I landed at Hefty Ultra Strong. Glad and Kirkland bags ripped far too often. Hefty bags do as well, but not as often. I bought Kirkland and Glad interchangeably for years and noticed the same trend. When you're taking trash bags down flights of stairs, the ripping becomes a problem. I overstuffed bags, so I may not be the best test case, but when the prospect is walking down all of those stairs to throw trash away, well, one tends to get lazy sometimes.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

We have been using the Costco bags for twelve years now with absolutely no issues. Sorry for your problems.

Edited to add: I should note that we recycle paper, cardboard, glass, and metal/plastic weekly at our nearby recycling center thus reducing a lot of weight from the bags as well as sharp products. But I have also put a lot of other heavy items in these bags without issues.
Last edited by tomd37 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Same here. No problems.

We don't put paper or junk mail with sharp corners. However, if you haven't change what you toss in the trash, then it is probably a bad batch of bags. Costco will give you back your money but it is a hassle.

See if you can find the batch number or something on the box. Or buy the bags from a different costco...
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We've also used Costco 13- gallon unscented white bags for years and haven't noticed any problems lately. Strong bag and for the cost is a great value.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Are you overloading your bags?
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

z91 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:04 pm I have had used Costco's private label (Kirkland) for years, but noticed the last two batches I bought ended up having random bags that ripped. They'd leak and I end up having to double up the bag and clean it all up.

It looks like many other brands have gone downhill (e.g., "Glad," based on reviews I've read). I'm at about time to buy some more bags, but don't want to commit to another 200 bags without the expert advice here. I don't mind paying more for bags as long as they are quality.

What do you folks use?
Kirkland. Always.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Try Hefty UltraStrong bags. We had ripping problems until we used these. This is something not to be cheap with. There is nothing worse than a malfunctioning trash bag.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Are you overloading the bags and trying to smush more in to the bag? Or are you putting things with pointy corners in the trash -- like Pizza boxes or bakery boxes (donut box or pie box)?

My experience with trash bags is that they do not randomly tear - something in the bag needs to poke thru the bag to start the rip - and it's usually something I've carelessly threw in the trash.
Topic Author
z91

Post by z91 »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:10 pm Are you overloading the bags and trying to smush more in to the bag? Or are you putting things with pointy corners in the trash -- like Pizza boxes or bakery boxes (donut box or pie box)?

My experience with trash bags is that they do not randomly tear - something in the bag needs to poke thru the bag to start the rip - and it's usually something I've carelessly threw in the trash.
Nope..It's always "soft goods" in our bin; cardboard and bulky plastics are separated. The bags usually break at the bottom of the bag, every time. I inspect the bag and see what could have caused it, but it's usually nothing obvious. In fact, I've never been able to find anything that caused it, except maybe a bad seam.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

I've never had a Glad or Hefty bag break at the bottom, even when loaded with quite a bit of weight. I have had the pull tie break on multiple Hefty bags though, so now I'm back to using Glad.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Nate79 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:24 pm I would complain to Costco, get your money back for the faulty bags. But we've had no issues with them yet and would buy them again.
+1. We started a new box last month, no issues. Bad batches happen with any product, Costco will refund.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

We use those Costco 13 gallon bags in our kitchen as well. They seem very strong; occasionally I have torn one with a sharp bit of paper or other sharp/ hard object. But usually they get the job done.
If they are breaking off at the bottom, the same way every time, then I agree with others that it's likely a bad batch.
Cheers
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

We have been using the Costco Kirkland bags for years without any ripping or tears. I agree with others that it might be a bad batch.

We have done Costco return/replacements on other items that were bad/defective, it has always been a simple process, no questions or hassles.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

After comparing expensive, high quality bags and double-bagging with the cheap ones, I found that both solutions fixed the ripping problem, but double-bagging was cheaper.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I am buying most groceries for my family of 4 adults. I buy at Walmart, and buy white unscented garbage bags there, whatever they have. We never had a bag rip. We have the kitchen garbage can lined with a standard white garbage bag, then have another bag in that bag to carry out. Perhaps you put too many sharp items in that bag.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Kirkland bags for a decade and no problem, ever.
Return your box and get another.

Wonder for those that with ripped bags how much and what do they put in it?
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Agree with the trash compactor bags. Before my two cats died of old age, I used these as liners for all of their 17 years. In all of those years, their claws only ripped a bag once. (52x17 = a lot of bags). I got mine at Lowe's and HD rather than Kroger; they were less expensive.

I can remember when we did not have kitchen trash bags, we used old newspapers. Perhaps line the type that is ripping with newspaper...but not too many people get newspapers anymore.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Regarding the KIRKLAND kitchen bags - I noticed a change for the worse, but now they are better!

I had purchased bags that ripped near the top because the "stretch" allowed too much stretching of the plastic. However, the newer bags do not have the stretch all the way to the top, it is plain plastic (no stretching) for 4.5 inches immediately below the orange pull string.

I just looked at a bag to make certain. Yes, I experienced the ripped bags before this new change too. This is a superior design.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I've been really happy with the Members Mark Power Flex bags from Sam's Club. I use the 39 gallon bags in the garage garbage, but I would assume they have a similar offering in kitchen garbage sizes. For the kitchen we just use the small garbage cans with doubled up shopping bags. We have to throw those out into the garage garbage every day or two, but that's fine by me. I prefer to not have a bunch of fruit/vegetable/meat trimmings rotting in my kitchen for up to a week anyway.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Glad ForceFlex, but it sounds like maybe you don't like those?

Contractor bags are pretty sturdy. Can shove furniture and all kinds of junk in them. They may stretch, but I don't think I've ever had one rip (maybe possible if you try hard enough).
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
GT99

Post by GT99 »

I could have been the OP on this thread. After ~15 years of using Kirkland bags with no issues, but the last box I bought the bags kept breaking (almost always the the drawstring/tie part, not the bag itself). Should have returned it after the first few broke, but didn't. Bought a different brand, then just went back to Kirkland a few weeks ago. Did have 1 bag break so far. If more break, I'll take it back.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

No problems with the Kroger bags, and I stuff them to the point of overfilling before tying them up.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Costco Kirkland brand used at our casa. No issues in many years of using the brand.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We use he Simple Human bags that fit our Simple Human trash can. No problems in a decade.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

While this is regional, I use Wegmans bags with no problems.
All the Best, | Joe
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

i'm cheap. i use the cheapest WM bags and double them up.

no issues and still quite a bit cheaper than anything comparable. the bonus is sometimes you don't need a strong bag and they work for that too.

--------------------------------------
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Depending on size and budget.
Lawn Leaf bags from Hime Depot
Contractors clean up n trash bags (thickest)

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

It seems most of us are using our trash bags incorrectly.

They are not designed to be shaken until filled with air, then inserted in the can.

If you examine bags as they come off the roll, the seams are on the outside,
but the bag is strongest when you get seams to the inside.

Bags are meant to be placed atop the can, like a hat, then pushed down.
Leave a corner or a bit unstretched over the rim, to avert ballooning while pushing, then secure it.

This is among the many wonderful things I learned on YouTube cruises during COVID lockdown boredom.
Garbage Bag Hack is but one of many garbage bag tutorials.
soc2003

Post by soc2003 »

We have found that the best kitchen thrash bags are Home Depot HDX brand.
rhubarbpie

Post by rhubarbpie »

I'm another happy SimpleHuman user. They're more expensive but much more durable than the grocery brands.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

I think well of Aldi tall kitchen garbage bags. Never a rip.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Flobes wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:35 am It seems most of us are using our trash bags incorrectly.

They are not designed to be shaken until filled with air, then inserted in the can.

If you examine bags as they come off the roll, the seams are on the outside,
but the bag is strongest when you get seams to the inside.

Bags are meant to be placed atop the can, like a hat, then pushed down.
Leave a corner or a bit unstretched over the rim, to avert ballooning while pushing, then secure it.

This is among the many wonderful things I learned on YouTube cruises during COVID lockdown boredom.
Garbage Bag Hack is but one of many garbage bag tutorials.
Hey, thanks for this tip, I am going to start doing this.