Drive the Dang Car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MotoTrojan

Re: Drive the Dang Car?

Post by MotoTrojan »

Vihoo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 am
MotoTrojan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:22 pm
Likewise, maybe buy a beat-up Miata or S2000 and go have some fun.

Unless you think you can do that with this car...

Some people spend $30K on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. You spent $30K on this car which can provide many years of fun trips/experiences. Go enjoy them, run it up until it finally dies, and then write-off the $30K as many, many good memories. Or take my initial advice and get something more reliable to do the same with, saving on future maintenance costs that most BMW's will generate.
Have you seen the prices of S2000s? They're bigger collector cars than his BMW. Prices went through the roof cause they're high revving and fun track cars. BMW M3 owners talk about them as their second cars all the time. (Miata is fine as the prices are crazy low on these)

As to OP - this almost feels like a troll post. What car isn't $30k these days that's actually worth driving! (And with a $3 mill net worth...lol)
I did notice that. I should've bought a clean one for $17K a while back when I instead got a 1998 M Roadster which ended up costing me thousands in repairs.

$30K S2000 will be cheaper to run/maintain and hold it's value better than a $30K BMW though.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Drive your car on mountains roads. Drive your car fast. Have fun. That's why you bought it, right?
Topic Author
thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one »

rockstar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 pm Drive your car on mountains roads. Drive your car fast. Have fun. That's why you bought it, right?
Flatlander here in Kansas City but there are a lot of great hilly, curvy 2-lane roads where i have the most fun in the car when I do drive it. That and accelerating on on-ramps ;) About a year ago I had a near deer miss on a Saturday morning on one of those on-amps causing one of those 'pucker' moments ;)
LBYM
racy

Post by racy »

A motorcycle friend told me when I bought a new bike, "Push it over and drop that new helmet on the cement. Now you don't need to worry about dings anymore!"
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

I treated my last Porsche like you're treating your car. We sold it during the pandemic for a CX-5 because we only have one parking space in our building and my wife wanted something practical (and she said "you never drive it"). I've literally regretted the decision to not drive it for almost a year now since it sold. Those cars are meant to be driven. Sure you can still spend time to make it look nice, but its not like you're entering it in a Concours or something, so just think of the dings as "love taps" from all the trips you've enjoyed with her. Otherwise, you'll end up like me, where my wife is now in love with this damn CX-5 (which is a fine car. just not a P-car) and I'm hoping I might own one more Porsche before I leave the planet. Dont be me.....get out there and drive! :sharebeer
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

thrifty_one wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:18 pm Hi All,
First, I'm unendingly appreciative for all the financial guidance I've received over the past few years that's enabled
my approaching retirement in 8-11 months (@56 y/o). I have a very low mileage BMW (2006 M Roadster w/ 17k mi)
that's a thrill to drive but I don't do so much due to my fear that it'll get a door ding, scrape, add miles and that if/when I decide to sell
the car, those dings and/or mileage will diminish it's resale value to some degree (it's currently worth ~$30K which is ~1% of my net worth). I don't
believe this car is considered a classic or even near it yet. Question is, Do I throw caution to the wind and drive the darn thing and
quit ruminating about whatever might happen when I'm out enjoying it? What's triggered me to ask this is my college-aged kids ribbing me about
never driving the car and being overly-protective of it and I know they're right.

Thanks!
FYI if you decide to sell:

https://jalopnik.com/at-30-900-is-this- ... 1847721908
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Thank your son for the epiphany by letting him drive it for a week :twisted:
Topic Author
thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one »

Ramjet wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:01 am Thank your son for the epiphany by letting him drive it for a week :twisted:
Funny thing you mention that- he talked me into buying the 2006-2008 Z4 M Roadster over the same year range Z4 M Coupe ;) While he's driven it, I think he just doesn't care for the manual trans like I do. My plan when I bought it was to gift it to the child that seemed to enjoy it the most when I thought it was the right time. Not sure if any bogleheads follow BaT's Sludgo's Mile Marker stories but the last one about his son asking to borrow his dad's MGB for his wedding day brought tears to my eyes.. sniffle, sniffle. that's what I really want I think.
LBYM
Topic Author
thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one »

bogledogle wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:44 am
thrifty_one wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:18 pm Hi All,
First, I'm unendingly appreciative for all the financial guidance I've received over the past few years that's enabled
my approaching retirement in 8-11 months (@56 y/o). I have a very low mileage BMW (2006 M Roadster w/ 17k mi)
that's a thrill to drive but I don't do so much due to my fear that it'll get a door ding, scrape, add miles and that if/when I decide to sell
the car, those dings and/or mileage will diminish it's resale value to some degree (it's currently worth ~$30K which is ~1% of my net worth). I don't
believe this car is considered a classic or even near it yet. Question is, Do I throw caution to the wind and drive the darn thing and
quit ruminating about whatever might happen when I'm out enjoying it? What's triggered me to ask this is my college-aged kids ribbing me about
never driving the car and being overly-protective of it and I know they're right.

Thanks!
FYI if you decide to sell:

https://jalopnik.com/at-30-900-is-this- ... 1847721908
Wow - That 2006-08 Z4 m coupe was my original intention for purchase rather than the roadster.. :sharebeer
LBYM
esqu1re

Post by esqu1re »

OP, I had a Interlagos blue coupe version of that same car about 8 years ago. I also didn't want to put miles on it. I wish I drove it more before I traded it in for a mom-mobile.

If it's only 1% of your net worth, you can afford to drive it and maintain it. The convertibles will never appreciate that much, if any, anyway. Enjoy.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

thrifty_one wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:18 pm Thanks for all your responses! i've been considering selling it for the last year due to my 'can't drive it' issue so will likely do that next spring if I can't bring myself to drive it out to see my daughter in college this fall and leave it parked on the street overnight ;)

Btw, My daily driver is a 2013 Ford Fusion w/ a large deer dent in it I've never fixed & 190K miles so couldn't be further from a 180 degrees from the bmw but the Ford is admittedly more my 'style' ;)
Sounds like the BMW is creating more concern than enjoyment. If that's the case it makes sense to sell it. But I'd also sell your beat up Fusion and get something nicer, that is more fun to drive.
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:10 pm
Vihoo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 am
MotoTrojan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:22 pm
Likewise, maybe buy a beat-up Miata or S2000 and go have some fun.

Unless you think you can do that with this car...

Some people spend $30K on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. You spent $30K on this car which can provide many years of fun trips/experiences. Go enjoy them, run it up until it finally dies, and then write-off the $30K as many, many good memories. Or take my initial advice and get something more reliable to do the same with, saving on future maintenance costs that most BMW's will generate.
Have you seen the prices of S2000s? They're bigger collector cars than his BMW. Prices went through the roof cause they're high revving and fun track cars. BMW M3 owners talk about them as their second cars all the time. (Miata is fine as the prices are crazy low on these)

As to OP - this almost feels like a troll post. What car isn't $30k these days that's actually worth driving! (And with a $3 mill net worth...lol)
I did notice that. I should've bought a clean one for $17K a while back when I instead got a 1998 M Roadster which ended up costing me thousands in repairs.

$30K S2000 will be cheaper to run/maintain and hold it's value better than a $30K BMW though.
yep!
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I've got a car with no scratches that I've had about 15 years. Sometimes I wish I had scratched it the day we got it.

See if you can find the Dick Van Dyke show episode "scratch my car and die". Then you'll have a name for your car like I do.
This time is the same
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

thrifty_one wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:38 am
rockstar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 pm Drive your car on mountains roads. Drive your car fast. Have fun. That's why you bought it, right?
Flatlander here in Kansas City but there are a lot of great hilly, curvy 2-lane roads where i have the most fun in the car when I do drive it. That and accelerating on on-ramps ;) About a year ago I had a near deer miss on a Saturday morning on one of those on-amps causing one of those 'pucker' moments ;)
I really don't pay much attention to the outside of my vehicle. I'll wash it every other week, but that's about it. When I drive it, I'm inside it, and I'm not really worried about scratch and dents. There are kits for that if you're worried about it. Here's a scratch kit on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WV ... UTF8&psc=1
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Letting 1% of your net worth own you like that is insane.

Decide right now to either drive it or sell it, but make the decision and don’t look back.

I would drive it.