Window privacy film advice requested

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Saving$

Window privacy film advice requested

Post by Saving$ »

I'm requesting advice on and experiences with applying a film to the glass on a window that gives privacy but still lets in light. Advice from both people who have this on their house, and whose house looks at a neighbor with this film is appreciated.

One of my bathrooms has a wide and short window along one wall near the ceiling. This was great as it let in light but was so high up on the wall that privacy was not an issue. A two story house has been built next door that has a perfect angle to look right into the shower and at the toilet. I need to address the privacy issue before someone moves in next door.

The big box store has 100's of options, but the reviews are confusing - one review will say the film that looks fairly obscuring via the photos was practically clear, the next review will say the same film was too obscure. I would rather rely on the BH community.

1. The people that use this bathroom are modest. Most of the privacy films seem like they will obscure detail, but still show a shape and color, especially if it is dark out and there is a light on inside. For those that look out on a house with this type of film, do you feel what you can see through the film is too revealing?

2. Since the reviews are all over the place, for those who have a film like this on their windows and are pleased with the product, do you have a link to the product that works?

3. For those who have used a spray on material in lieu of a film product, how easy is it to get an even application, can you get enough on there to get sufficient privacy, and how easy is it to remove the spray on material? It seems the film would be easier but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

Thanks!
walkabout

Re: Window privacy film advice requested

Post by walkabout »

We used something like this to obscure a window in our garage. It was easy enough to cut and apply, if you have some patience. Measure the window glass, cut slightly larger, then trim more exactly with a razor blade/cutter. To apply, clean the window, apply the spray solution (from installation kit), place the film, smooth with smoothing tool (from installation kit). In our case we did have to temporarily remove the window lock from the lower sash so we could accurately trim the film along that edge.

Private is good. The film we chose does not have any clear areas. It is all “ice chip”. With lights on inside, someone could probably tell that there is someone in the room (if near the person in the room is near the window), but not much more than that.

I can recommend this product for the application you describe.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TJ58R16
NewishBog

Post by NewishBog »

I would think curtains or blinds would work better here, particularly when dark out and lights on inside. But I look forward to hear others' thoughts.
BreadandButter

Post by BreadandButter »

We have used this in a dining room with good results. It was the type that you put on wetted glass. Others require a proprietary spray on chemical. The film left a slight image of the pattern when removed, which required a good window cleaning to remove.
I am not sure about putting this on a bathroom window due to potential mold forming at the window frame edges. Someone who has used this in a bathroom would know if this is a problem
RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc »

We used this on our garage windows and a bathroom that faced the road.

Rust-Oleum 1903830 Frosted Glass Spray Paint, 11 oz, Frosted Glass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XCKBA/? ... UTF8&psc=1

It went on smooth after a few coats. We cleaned the windows very well and let them dry first. You need good ventilation!! We used three bottles (two large 4x5 ft windows and nine ~1x1 square garage door windows). We taped the edges and I had a piece of cardboard that I held on the sides when starting and stopping my sprays.

It scrapes off with a razor blade if you don’t like it.
RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc »

BreadandButter wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:53 am I am not sure about putting this on a bathroom window due to potential mold forming at the window frame edges. Someone who has used this in a bathroom would know if this is a problem
We did this in a bathroom and mold/mildew was very bad. We switched to a spray paint window frosting instead. So far, so good….
CenTexan

Post by CenTexan »

Try using a can of spray-on snow, like used to flock Christmas trees. Works great!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Think about a remote controlled shade or curtain. Very bright when open- very opaque when clsed
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Do a test to be sure the film or spray gives you sufficient privacy in a lighted bathroom at night.

Another option is a woven wood shade with a light privacy liner with a “top down” feature. When you need privacy but still want some light, you can put the shade fully down and drop the top so light comes through the top of the window.

I have seen windows advertised with “privacy switchable glass” that use a switch/electricity to turn the window from transparent to opaque when privacy is needed.
Bogle7

3M

Post by Bogle7 »

Ignore the big box store.
Go to the 3M website and get confused as the choices multiply before your very eyes.
Call a local 3M-certified installer and take their advice.
That is what we did 8 years and are very happy.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Search for ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+pri ... s&tbm=isch

Had a window in basement bath near front door. Cut a piece from a fluorescent ceiling light panel, and pressed it over basement window. You can tell the basement light is on, but nothing more.
See: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-Acryl ... /207054944
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 am I'm requesting advice on and experiences with applying a film to the glass on a window that gives privacy but still lets in light. Advice from both people who have this on their house, and whose house looks at a neighbor with this film is appreciated.

One of my bathrooms has a wide and short window along one wall near the ceiling. This was great as it let in light but was so high up on the wall that privacy was not an issue. A two story house has been built next door that has a perfect angle to look right into the shower and at the toilet. I need to address the privacy issue before someone moves in next door.

The big box store has 100's of options, but the reviews are confusing - one review will say the film that looks fairly obscuring via the photos was practically clear, the next review will say the same film was too obscure. I would rather rely on the BH community.

1. The people that use this bathroom are modest. Most of the privacy films seem like they will obscure detail, but still show a shape and color, especially if it is dark out and there is a light on inside. For those that look out on a house with this type of film, do you feel what you can see through the film is too revealing?

2. Since the reviews are all over the place, for those who have a film like this on their windows and are pleased with the product, do you have a link to the product that works?

3. For those who have used a spray on material in lieu of a film product, how easy is it to get an even application, can you get enough on there to get sufficient privacy, and how easy is it to remove the spray on material? It seems the film would be easier but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

Thanks!
Hi. I used a product from Artscape. Big selection and great reviews and easy to install.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

We just contracted for obscure glass to be installed to replace the clear glass in three windows facing a nearby neighbor. For the one shower facing that neighbor, we are having a professional come to install LLumac Frost Series "tinting," There will be a nice design with different opacites of tint. The shower door frosting will allow for privacy when the window is vented open--not allowing for a view of the rest of the bathroom.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 am 2. Since the reviews are all over the place, for those who have a film like this on their windows and are pleased with the product, do you have a link to the product that works?
I put this on 2 front windows near ground level, it works well. I have tested it by walking outside at night to look inside w/ the light on - figures are 'blurry' and no detail can be made out etc. During the day it performs even better as its light outside.

https://gilafilms.com/for-home/gila-pri ... indow-film

Install was pretty simple, I did buy their spray though some folks suggest making your own - I just wanted it done right the first time.

What I like is that it is removeable - so if in 5-10 years I want it gone or a different style I can simply pull it off.

Some of their products obscure even more than this style I would guess but I wanted natural light and a pleasant view as the style looks good.

Can buy at local Big Box.
telemark

Post by telemark »

For a quick fix, spray some water on the glass and then apply bubble wrap. If you don't already have bubble wrap, you can buy it at The Container Store.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I have used this stain glass simulating film with good success. It applies easily with a spray bottle of soapy water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q ... UTF8&psc=1

I have also used the type that looks like frosted glass and that works just as well.

The corners do tend to peel up after a few years, but you can spray again and smooth it out.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
squirm

Post by squirm »

Just frost it.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 am I'm requesting advice on and experiences with applying a film to the glass on a window that gives privacy but still lets in light. Advice from both people who have this on their house, and whose house looks at a neighbor with this film is appreciated.

Have you even tested to determine if someone can actually see in the window from that 2nd story? I can look out my 1st and 2nd story windows at 1st and second stories of other houses on 3 sides. I've never been able to see anyone in those houses even when the lights are on.

If they can then your best best is some blinds. They can angled in such a way that they will still let in loads of light but block direct views.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I'm not familiar with the type of window film you are considering. I have a reflective film that attaches to the inside of the glass on a west facing window that is intended to block solar heat. During daylight hours you cannot see through it from outside, but at night with indoor lighting it would do nothing for a privacy concern. The point I want to make here is that that window gets mighty hot when the afternoon summer sun sines on it, so consider that if your window faces the sun.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
sutemi

Post by sutemi »

We have vinyl film in the bathroom and basement windows for privacy, it was inexpensive and works well.

The film obscures more the further you are away from it, so if you will be more than a few inches away almost any design will do. You can go to a big box hardware store and test this if they have different styles of obscuring on display.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I would think about who would be looking thru your window and how far away they will be from the window. I'd also think about how you use the room at night... when the light is on and it is dark outside is when people outside will most likely "see" the most - even with an obscuring film (as in who ever is inside MIGHT be a blurred blob that moves. :) )

Be careful with tinted films that appear dark or silvered during the day (to keep out sunlight/heat) - the films appear "clear" at night and do NOT provide any sort of "privacy".

I am using a frosted mosaic on a kitchen window that looks directly at my neighbors deck (about 25 feet away) and on my front door window - because I found it creepy at night that someone outside in the dark could CLEARLY see me (when I turned on the hall light as I approached the door) but I could not clearly see them.
Try something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/InHome-18-in-W ... 1001161320

My kitchen window is southern facing and plenty of light comes through. The film obscures the deck completely. I suspect at night when I am in my kitchen with a light on - that my neighbors MIGHT see me if I stand in the window - as a blurred "blob". :) I am ok with this. I don't mind the occassional - oh, looks like there's a bunch of people on my neighbor's deck! if I happen to be close to the filmed window and there is a lot of movement on the deck (blobs moving) versus the "Oh, look, there's Darren and Samantha on their deck and how nice Aunt Esmerelda, too ! Oh, no, here comes Endora it's gonna get tense!
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I'm guessing the film the OP will purchase will not be overwhelmingly expensive. I would go with a film that seems like it will best solve the problem, install it, and see how it works. If the OP doesn't like it - it's easy to remove. The "cons" to this method are double the work and double the expense. The "pro" is years and years of privacy that's "just right".

I've re-read the OP and see this:
A two story house has been built next door that has a perfect angle to look right into the shower and at the toilet. I need to address the privacy issue before someone moves in next door.
Be aware that just about any low level of obscuring film will give the person using YOUR bathroom a sense of "privacy" - they will NOT see the windows on the house next door. They may see a "blob" of light that is the window (if next door has the lights on) at night but that is it. If the next door windows are more than 10 feet from your windows - just about any low level of obscuring film will do the trick.

I would go with a frosted film (either mosaic or other) versus a just a colored mosaic film. The frosted will "blur" the view for anyone outside. Just like sheer curtains would do.

I'm guessing that anyone outside would NOT see a "blob of movement" or any movement in your bathroom - with either privacy film or sheer curtains or shades. The lighting from above (the ceiling or high up on the wall) will prevent that at night.
Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad »

F150HD wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:06 am
Saving$ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 am 2. Since the reviews are all over the place, for those who have a film like this on their windows and are pleased with the product, do you have a link to the product that works?
I put this on 2 front windows near ground level, it works well. I have tested it by walking outside at night to look inside w/ the light on - figures are 'blurry' and no detail can be made out etc. During the day it performs even better as its light outside.

https://gilafilms.com/for-home/gila-pri ... indow-film

Install was pretty simple, I did buy their spray though some folks suggest making your own - I just wanted it done right the first time.

What I like is that it is removeable - so if in 5-10 years I want it gone or a different style I can simply pull it off.

Some of their products obscure even more than this style I would guess but I wanted natural light and a pleasant view as the style looks good.

Can buy at local Big Box.
Used this in a window that's close to the house next door. Works great! Allows us to keep shades wide open during the day to let in light but ensure privacy.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

I've had Gila frosted film on my bathroom window for a few years now, no problems with peeling or mold.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

We use frosted window film from WM on the bottom portion of some of our windows to keep the dog from seeing and barking at folks walking past. Works fine and was easy to install with soapy water. You'd have to check the size, I don't know if a sheet was big enough for a full window.

Comes off easily and cleanly when necessary. Let's light through but you can't see through it at all.
Regards | Bob
westie

Post by westie »

another recommendation to go to the 3M website.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

wfrobinette wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:08 am

Have you even tested to determine if someone can actually see in the window from that 2nd story? I can look out my 1st and 2nd story windows at 1st and second stories of other houses on 3 sides. I've never been able to see anyone in those houses even when the lights are on.

If they can then your best best is some blinds. They can angled in such a way that they will still let in loads of light but block direct views.
Oh yes. One night when some contractors were working next door, I turned on the bathroom light and went next door -the contractors let me in. The new neighbors have a perfect view of two bathrooms (specifically the showers and one toilet) and an office. Not concerned about the office but am concerned about the bathrooms.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

kevinf wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:04 pm I've had Gila frosted film on my bathroom window for a few years now, no problems with peeling or mold.
This is the product I ordered because it came in the appropriate size without needing any seams within a pane of glass. It arrived and I will apply this weekend or next. Will post an update.
Thank you all very much for the responses. Very helpful
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Saving$ wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:18 pm
kevinf wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:04 pm I've had Gila frosted film on my bathroom window for a few years now, no problems with peeling or mold.
This is the product I ordered because it came in the appropriate size without needing any seams within a pane of glass. It arrived and I will apply this weekend or next. Will post an update.
The trick for something that needs a seam is to overlap the two films and then use a straight edge and a fresh razor to slice through them both at once. The seam should be almost perfect if you can't avoid having one. I'd definitely recommend a second pair of hands though, even for just applying a single sheet.
Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Saving$ wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:18 pm
Realized I never posted the above referenced update. Applied the product and it has worked quite well for over a year. There are a few slight (1/8" to 1/4") areas at the perimeter that I wish were adhering more uniformly, but not enough for me to remove and replace.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

A consideration with window films may be that their application usually voids any window warranty which may otherwise apply.