Reliable cars?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ralphboy

Reliable cars?

Post by ralphboy »

I have looked at consumer reports and the scotty kilmer mechanic videos from youtube. Both say a Toyota Camry is a solid choice for a car. However, I would like to hear what cars you have experience with and would recommend as being pretty reliable. If you could share the model year and how many miles you have or had on it that would be great. I plan on getting a bit more life out of my car but am curious about what to buy next.
carolinaman

Re: Reliable cars?

Post by carolinaman »

We have owned Toyotas for the last 30 years. I am on my third Camry, a 2014 hybrid with 80k miles. Only normal maintenance so far. DW has a 2007 Avalon which she loves. We bought it in 2010 with 38k miles. It now has 180k miles. We have had a few problems with it but nothing major. It is a great car.

Dealer service for Toyotas is very good but expensive. We found a local independent repair shop we use for most maintenance and repairs that is at least 20% less on repairs.

I highly recommend Toyotas but there are other great cars our there. I am sure you will hear from some of their satisfied customers.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

My 2018 Honda Accord 2.0 is quite nice and has had no reliability issues. Other than a battery that failed prematurely because the car had been on the lot for a long time it has had zero repairs in 3 years. I'd consider it again if I wanted a 4 door sedan that is sportier than a Camry.

My very large local Honda dealer has literally no cars on the lot right now. Not the time to buy.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ralphboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:04 am I have looked at consumer reports and the scotty kilmer mechanic videos from youtube. Both say a Toyota Camry is a solid choice for a car. However, I would like to hear what cars you have experience with and would recommend as being pretty reliable. If you could share the model year and how many miles you have or had on it that would be great. I plan on getting a bit more life out of my car but am curious about what to buy next.
I'm not seeing any value to anecdotal evidence for this, especially if you're going to buy a new car. If I tell you my earlier-generation (pre-2012) Ford Focus has been pretty reliable (it has), how will you apply that to buying a new car today? More recent models were a completely different design - the engine, transmission, etc. were all different. On the other extreme, if I tell you I bought a Mach E last week (I didn't, but...) and it's been reliable, what will that week of experience mean to you?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We have had Toyotas for many years without any big issues. My first one was a Corona :shock: . My current one is a 2008 RAV4. If they name the next pandemic "RAV" I'm changing brands.

My wife has a 2018 Camry Hybrid which she loves. It is comfortable and easy to drive for long distances.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

There are a fair number of options for a reliable car, and the Camry is one of them. But not the only one by a long shot.

Particularly in the present time, it is useful to have multiple models in mind because, new or used, demand is high and supply is limited.

I don't see the point of focusing on one model or one year recommended by a random person on the internet. For every single model out there you can find one person who's had a great experience with a car with reputed abysmal reliability and a person who swears the Camry is the worst car ever made.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

reliable: toyota. very hard to beat. toyota is a conservative company that don't make big changes and they continue to improve on "old" changes. disclaimer: i have a prius prime. most cars are reliable; but I think toyota takes it to the next level. i drove a honda accord for 12 years before that. it was reliable also. this is from 2016: so i am not sure if it is still this way:
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/201 ... -list.html
illumination

Post by illumination »

Toyota/Lexus is probably still near the top. Have owned a lot of them and they continue to earn my loyalty. Great resale also.
I saw where Consumer Reports actually put Mazda on top for most reliable brand. That's new, just have no experience with the brand.

I don't think any of the traditional big Japanese brands are as reliable as they used to be. It used to be where almost all of them really did run forever.
But brands like Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc are still better than other choices imo. Nissan just seems to really struggle now, they used to be right there with Toyota and Honda.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'm not sure that personal anecdotes will mean anything, but all our cars have been reliable and all have gone 13 to 16 years or 200K+ miles including even the POS Ford Freestyle. Otherwise, Honda Civic, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry, a couple of Lexus RXs, Subaru Outback, Honda CR-V. Model years 1979 to 2021.

As I type this I'm chuckling because I don't think I narrowed the choices Also I notice that even if I was satisfied with a car, I only got the same model twice with the Lexus RX300 going to RX350.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

I think most "normal" vehs are fairly reliable. It's not like the 1970s and 80s where US made barely got to 75k before needing engine and trans overall, while the Honda/Toys were doing 175k+. With that being said the Japanese still seem to out -perform. The Korean makes are up there as well, I'd stay away from Euro Lux vehs. In a normal vehicle mkt. Buy Japanese new, US/ Korean used, lease Euro.

2015 Accord 115k
2005 Scion 120k
Had 2003 Accord til 15. 210k
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I dislike Toyotas because they are boring, dated, appliance-like, and expensive for what they are (especially used). Driving a Camry is a form of low-grade torture for me. I die a little inside every time an Uber driver shows up in a Prius. And so on. I'm a car person. Just buy something that you like that meets your requirements. If that's a Toyota, enjoy!
Watty

Post by Watty »

The reliability rating of cars really varies with how long a time period you are looking at.

Many if not most new cars today will be reliable up to 100K miles but not so much up to 200K miles.

The J.D. Power does a quality survey that just looks at the first 90 days of car ownership which may not tell you anything useful about the expected long term reliability.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

ralphboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:04 am I have looked at consumer reports and the scotty kilmer mechanic videos from youtube. Both say a Toyota Camry is a solid choice for a car. However, I would like to hear what cars you have experience with and would recommend as being pretty reliable. If you could share the model year and how many miles you have or had on it that would be great. I plan on getting a bit more life out of my car but am curious about what to buy next.
I have bought Toyota's for the last 25 years. Nothing else comes even close.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:33 pm
I have bought Toyota's for the last 25 years. Nothing else comes even close.
If your only experience is with Toyota, how would you know that nothing else comes close?
squirm

Post by squirm »

The usual answers will be Honda and Toyota... Seems obvious to me.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

squirm wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 pm The usual answers will be Honda and Toyota... Seems obvious to me.
Don't forget Tesla. Bogleheads like the Tesla. Reliability be damned.
Also Miata which is not always but usually the right answer.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I once knew a guy who sold his old Datsun and bought a new Yugo. He cursed that it was in the shop, again. I mentioned something about considering a more reliable car.

He said "That da*n Yugo is the most reliable car I've ever owned. I can rely on it, like clockwork, to need a trip to the shop every other month for another expensive repair."

Marylander1
Topic Author
ralphboy

Post by ralphboy »

I like the look of the Chrysler 300 but whenever Scotty Kilmer refers to junkyard in his videos, he posts a picture of Chrysler heh.
bluegill

Post by bluegill »

I've owned Toyota's for around 40 years. Carona, Corollas, Camry, Avalon The worst car I have owned is a Jeep Cherokee. The Cherokee always needed work. I would never buy another American made car.
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

I have had three Acura MDX SUV’s. I put 370,000 miles on the 2004 and sold it to a guy who is still driving it. It had 80,000 miles on it when I bought it. The second one was a 2010 MDX and it had 48,000 miles when I bought it. It had 225,000 miles when I traded it for a new 2020 MDX. I never had to do major work, just oil, filters, brake pads, tires and alignment. My wife is on her third Honda Pilot and it’s pretty much the same as the MDX with slightly less features and a lower price point. Same good maintenance history as the MDX. You can’t go wrong with Honda or Toyota products.
Waiting_for_Godot

Post by Waiting_for_Godot »

scguy613 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:56 am I have had three Acura MDX SUV’s. I put 370,000 miles on the 2004 and sold it to a guy who is still driving it. It had 80,000 miles on it when I bought it. The second one was a 2010 MDX and it had 48,000 miles when I bought it. It had 225,000 miles when I traded it for a new 2020 MDX. I never had to do major work, just oil, filters, brake pads, tires and alignment. My wife is on her third Honda Pilot and it’s pretty much the same as the MDX with slightly less features and a lower price point. Same good maintenance history as the MDX. You can’t go wrong with Honda or Toyota products.
Acuras in the late 90's-early 00's, especially the Integra, I've been told by mechanics might be the best cars ever built.

My 2012 Hyundai Accent has been reasonably reliable, save power coils going bad on occasion (which is an easy fix on my car), and a crankshaft sensor going bad twice over 180k miles. That being said, they've moved to CVTs, which in theory should be more reliable... time will tell.
squirm

Post by squirm »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:10 pm
squirm wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 pm The usual answers will be Honda and Toyota... Seems obvious to me.
Yes, yes... That's right, the Tesla's are reliable because there's no engine as they say. /s
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

OP, what's your timeframe for reliability? It's a big difference between 0-6 years, 0-10 years, 0-20 years, 0-30 years, 0-40 years (I have a 26 year old Camry, that I suspect, unfortunately, will go for another 10-15+ years, which is a big problem if you keep cars until they die, and tire of them). I.E. People saying their 2005 car is reliable doesn't really mean much to me, as it's not really proven itself out yet, for how long I think a car should last.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Kagord wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:08 am
OP, what's your timeframe for reliability? It's a big difference between 0-6 years, 0-10 years, 0-20 years, 0-30 years, 0-40 years (I have a 26 year old Camry, that I suspect, unfortunately, will go for another 10-15+ years, which is a big problem if you keep cars until they die, and tire of them).
Just sold my 21 years old toyota mr2 spyder this year. :)
Had it for 6 years just grew bored of it. - That's the toyota problem. Haha.
Get rich or die tryin'
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ralphboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:34 pm I like the look of the Chrysler 300 but whenever Scotty Kilmer refers to junkyard in his videos, he posts a picture of Chrysler heh.
That model is about as far from a Camry as a car can get today and still be called a sedan. It would have been a lot more helpful if you had started by mentioning some features you required or were prioritizing.
Topic Author
ralphboy

Post by ralphboy »

With my car, 2000 Avalon 125,000 miles; I don't know when to consider getting another vehicle. I keep up with the oil changes and fix it whenever the warning lights come on. So far, I haven't had a major problem with it, usually the repairs run $200-400 whenever they pop up. The car is 21 years old but doesn't have a lot of mileage for its age. I don't drive a lot, probably close to 7,000 miles a year.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:10 pm
I would add Lexus as well. That brand is way outside of my budget but those cars tend to last forever (I believe them and Toyota are the same company). As far as Honda, they do experience transmission issues from time to time.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

If all you need is a car to reliably take you from point A to B without fuss then it is hard to beat a Camry.

For the 2 years I owned one it was a terribly boring car for me.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Watty

Post by Watty »

ralphboy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am With my car, 2000 Avalon 125,000 miles; I don't know when to consider getting another vehicle. I keep up with the oil changes and fix it whenever the warning lights come on. So far, I haven't had a major problem with it, usually the repairs run $200-400 whenever they pop up. The car is 21 years old but doesn't have a lot of mileage for its age. I don't drive a lot, probably close to 7,000 miles a year.

I am a big advocate for replacing older cars like that for newer cars with a lot of the modern safety features so if you have an ample budget I would take a look at what replacing it would cost. I suspect that with the current new car shortage that you will not find anything that is reasonably enough priced so it would make sense to keep it for another year or two.

You should also check the web sites like CarMax and Carvana to see what they will offer for your car. That only takes a few minutes to do and you might be surprised with what they will pay you for it. I did this in the spring and I got an offer from CarMax for a three year old Corolla that was more than I have paid for it, excluding tax and license.

If you can get a high enough price for your old car then paying a high price for a replacement could make sense.

They generally make cars larger over the years so my 2018 Corolla was almost the same size as an early 2000s Camry that I had. If you get a new car then a new Camry would likely be comparable to your Avalon. Even the Corolla is not a real small car now so I would not automatically rule it out.

A lot about what to do really depends on your budget.

I am retired and the last few years my portfolio has performed a lot better than hoped for so I recently bought a new Forester with a high trim level. That was a bit of a stretch compared to what I normally would pay for a car but I can afford it since my portfolio has done so well and it may be the last car I ever buy so I decided to go ahead and buy it.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

i would add the Mazda6 to the usual list of Toyota and Honda

----------------------------------
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Sometimes the term "reliable" and "durable" and mistakenly used as interchangeable.

I want both.

Reliable, to me, means never leaving me stranded due to driveline issues.
Durable means that even though it is reliable when new-ish, it will stay that way for a long time after JD POWER and Consumer Reports stop watching..

If android car-play, etc, does not work, I don't care--just get me to where I am going.

In that sense, the last Ford Crown Victoria's/Grand Marquis/towncars are very reliable and durable--still in use for livery duty.
The Camry/ES//Highlander/Venza/RX/Avalon platform is good as well.
The first Lexus LS400 is one of the best vehicles ever built.
The next gen dashes have problems.
Avoid VoA and BMW products, some are durable--and not reliable, others are the opposite; most are neither.
Nissan; the 90's and aughts seemed reliable, but not durable.

Unfortunately, all car makers seems to be building vehicles for the 3/36 or 4/50 lease use case.

Mercedes W123, 124 and 126 diesels are known for million mile service use cases.
You will have none of what people seem to want these days, but for a transportation appliance, the rest of the world uses these for livery duty today--40 years after their first sell date.
You will occasionally see a "little ol lady" one pop up and they will command a huge price.

Trucks?
Cummins 12v and first gen 24v diesels.
Ford 7.3 diesels
4Runner/GX/LX/Toyota Landcruiser
Tundra--but I find the driving position horrible, uncomfortable, awful, terrible, ridiculous--as do a lot of people; many buy one and put Corbeaus into their brand new truck.

For all the luv that Subaru get here, there are too many engine issues for me.
Mazda-great driving but everything is press-fit and when trim pieces shake loose there is no way to fix them.
Rover-no.
Volvo-don't know; the new owners seem to be leaving the Swedes alone. The old 244s were tanks.
MBZ--unfortunately, they are now building to a price point and made a choice to be the bleeding edge tech provider.
unfortunately the new tech may cause an ECU FAILURE and then you are stuck.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If you like Toyotas, there are a couple sides of the coin to consider.

Some Toyotas are not Toyotas. The Yaris is a Mazda 2, for example.

There are other cars that are either wholesale Toyota (Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix) or have large transplants from Toyota. Lotus Elise, Exige, Evora and the upcoming Emira have Toyota engine/transmissions. Now there's some winning combinations. The good part of Toyota (reliable engines and transmissions) with very fun cars (Lotus).

Our family was very GM centric and they were always nothing but problems. My most recent was a GMC Yukon XL which all but self destructed right about 100k miles.

Our family more recently has had a run of Subarus. 2.5RS, 4 Outbacks, a Legacy GT, a WRX, an STi and 2 Crosstreks. The 08 Outback had a head gasket under warranty replaced. The 13 Crosstrek had a CVT replaced under warranty and then the short block (engine) for excessive oil consumption at 94k miles. None of the others have ever needed anything. I do oil/filter, and normal maintenance myself.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

phxjcc wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:57 pm Sometimes the term "reliable" and "durable" and mistakenly used as interchangeable.

I want both. Reliable, to me, means never leaving me stranded due to driveline issues.
Durable means that even though it is reliable when new-ish, it will stay that way for a long time after JD POWER and Consumer Reports stop watching..

(snip)

In that sense, the last Ford Crown Victoria's/Grand Marquis/towncars are very reliable and durable--still in use for livery duty.

(snip)

Mercedes W123, 124 and 126 diesels are known for million mile service use cases.
You will have none of what people seem to want these days, but for a transportation appliance, the rest of the world uses these for livery duty today--40 years after their first sell date.

(snip)

These suggestions suggest observing that the taxi fleets of the world are a good reference. I have owned all the above for just those reasons ... and the newer (not "new") MBZ can still be a pretty good choice as well. In some situations vehicles are driven long and hard ... some stand up to it, and some don't. Then again ... in Seoul, all you see are Hyundai and Kia as taxis. Or in Tokyo, Corollas and drivers often in white gloves!
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

People (guys?) love to talk about their cars, don't we?

The best car I've ever owned (and still do) is my 2001 Camry with ~140k miles on it. Reliable, low maintenance, and still looks good because it's garaged and taken care of. And loved!

That said, soon after I bought mine new, Toyota changed the model and there were runaway cars and accidents and lawsuits until they fixed things up. Newer Camrys are hybrids or not the same car. Of course. My own Camry will probably be my last car (if I'm lucky).

Worst car I've ever owned? An Alfa Romeo from the early 1960s. Don't ask!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Topic Author
ralphboy

Post by ralphboy »

I'll probably get a Camry and keep it for 25 years and then buy another Camry and die.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

This site might be useful:

www.carcomplaints.com
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Eastcoaster212

Post by Eastcoaster212 »

I've only had 2 cars in my life: 1: toyota camry in Highschool and it served its purpose. 2: Mercedes Benz, overpriced, but nice to drive.

I've been driving mercedes for a handful of years and they are great and reliable, I've never had a problem with one (knock on wood) they are expensive for maintenance, but personally i would say if you can afford it, and have to drive a lot for work (like i do) then might as well be comfortable
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Marylander1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 pm I once knew a guy who sold his old Datsun and bought a new Yugo. He cursed that it was in the shop, again. I mentioned something about considering a more reliable car.

He said "That da*n Yugo is the most reliable car I've ever owned. I can rely on it, like clockwork, to need a trip to the shop every other month for another expensive repair."

Marylander1
He should have done what a guy I worked with did. He purchased three used Yugo's: one to drive, and the other two for parts. :D

For OP: DW and I have owned Toyota's (Camry (2), Corolla, Prius, and two Lexus vehicles), Honda's (Civic, Accord, and Odyssey), and Subaru's (Outback and Legacy). My DW likes the Subaru's. We drive all of our cars for 7 years or more and then give them to our children or other relatives. The 2004 Civic has over 210,000 miles and is still on the road. In my experience nothing beats a Toyota product for reliability, which is what you are seeking.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

ralphboy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:08 pm I'll probably get a Camry and keep it for 25 years and then buy another Camry and die.
Funny stuff! That's one way to put it...How many more vehicles does one own til curtains.
namajones

Post by namajones »

ralphboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:04 am Both say a Toyota Camry is a solid choice for a car. If you could share the model year and how many miles you have or had on it that would be great.
I own a 2005 Camry, basic model, I think. I suppose that means it is 16 years old now, soon to be 17. Runs great. Never had any major repairs that I can recall. Bought new tires last year.

My mother bought the car used from Carmax, and I bought it from the family in 2012 when mother died. Has 95,000 miles on it. Needless to say, I don't drive much.

I'm also not a huge fan of the new Camrys because the center console is much larger, in order to accommodate its ridiculous TV screen, and takes up too much space from leg room, side to side. All new cars are like this these days, though, from what I can see.

Shopped last year with a friend of mine for new cars, and the Camry still offered the best combination of value, practicality, ride, and probably longevity.

Final words: I hate driving, and I hate cars. Driving is very dangerous--probably the most dangerous thing that most people do on a daily basis. About 38,000 people die each year in traffic accidents in the USA alone, and ~4.4 million annually are injured. Someday in the (hopefully not too distant) future, people will look back on our era and shake their heads in pity and wonder that for transportation, we relied on human-driven metal boxes that regularly maimed and killed one another, all in the name of getting from point A to point B. And to add to the absurdity, some people actually lusted after these boxes and spent a good bit of their annual incomes on "fancy" ones. Sad.

I will not get excited about a car until they come out with one that drives itself. That said, stuck in this present world as I am, I have owned Toyotas for the past 30+ years. They were all good (although Corollas are too bumpy for me now). If my current Camry died, I'd probably buy another--and also look at the Avalon model, although that is probably overkill.

P.S. I have also owned two Honda Accords, and found them neither as reliable nor as comfortable as the Camrys. I would not own another.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Avoid Nissans, especially rouges. We bought 2018 brand new Nissan Rouge and the transmission broke at 40,000 miles right on cross country drive. We leased 2019 Rouge which was a lemon right off the dealer's lot and they took 6 months to fix it.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

ralphboy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am With my car, 2000 Avalon 125,000 miles; I don't know when to consider getting another vehicle. I keep up with the oil changes and fix it whenever the warning lights come on. So far, I haven't had a major problem with it, usually the repairs run $200-400 whenever they pop up. The car is 21 years old but doesn't have a lot of mileage for its age. I don't drive a lot, probably close to 7,000 miles a year.
Your Avalon is only worth about 2k even in this market. Probably worth more holding on to than buying, given your situation.

If you're just looking for a new car, we always purchase 3-4 year old vehicles. After extensive research, and knowing we are trading in our 4wd truck, we went with a 2017 Subaru legacy premium. Hard to find that car with lower miles (25k), but we wanted something with more than front wheel drive and under 40k miles. This will be our first vehicle in 30 years that isn't a Toyota.

If two wheel drive is all you want, Toyota, Honda and Subaru sedans all have great long term reliability ratings. We currently also own a 2014 Sienna and a 2012 Camry, both with over 150k miles and we really only replace the wear items (brakes and tires) and one belt each.

Consumer Reports is your friend here.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

namajones wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:09 am
ralphboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:04 am

Final words: I hate driving, and I hate cars. Driving is very dangerous--probably the most dangerous thing that most people do on a daily basis. About 38,000 people die each year in traffic accidents in the USA alone, and ~4.4 million annually are injured. Someday in the (hopefully not too distant) future, people will look back on our era and shake their heads in pity and wonder that for transportation, we relied on human-driven metal boxes that regularly maimed and killed one another, all in the name of getting from point A to point B. And to add to the absurdity, some people actually lusted after these boxes and spent a good bit of their annual incomes on "fancy" ones. Sad.

I will not get excited about a car until they come out with one that drives itself.

Nice - eyes wide open post.

My advice is generally buy Lexus or Toyota depending on budget. They cost more to purchase but you get it back on lower maintenance/repair costs, insurance, and higher resale value.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Toyota
Honda

Reliability can be very subjective.

IE: I know a fellow who is adamant about his Jeep Rubicon being the most reliable car he’s ever owned.
Owned 2 years since brand new.
Driven 3000 miles in good smooth off roads on sunny days at less than 30 mph.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

I currently drive a 2012 Honda Accord that I bought new. 114k miles and have not spent a single dime on anything other than maintenance.
dbr

Post by dbr »

As best I recall most data sets tend to show that only Lexus has a statistically meaningful benefit in reliability over other makes. I don't doubt Toyota is certainly not worse than anything else except Lexus. I recall Jeep tending to be meaningfully worse than most makes over the years.

I don't know how anecdotal experience from a few dozen posters here can be helpful compared to looking a real surveys, but maybe some comments about surveys will be usefull.

My comment about surveys includes the following:

1. It's historical data, so it is harder to predict new model performance but better for evaluating used cars, if there is a difference. Some makes probably do have a good track record, such as Lexus and Toyota.

2. Some surveys are of as delivered faults rather than durability..

3. These days a lot of complaints are about user features such as infotainment and not about basic mechanical reliability.
namajones

Post by namajones »

dbr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:40 am As best I recall most data sets tend to show that only Lexus has a statistically meaningful benefit in reliability over other makes. I don't doubt Toyota is certainly not worse than anything else except Lexus.
Isn't Lexus made by Toyota?

How much more expensive is Lexus than a Camry?
dbr

Post by dbr »

namajones wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:48 am
dbr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:40 am As best I recall most data sets tend to show that only Lexus has a statistically meaningful benefit in reliability over other makes. I don't doubt Toyota is certainly not worse than anything else except Lexus.
Isn't Lexus made by Toyota?

How much more expensive is Lexus than a Camry?
Yes, and a lot.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I remember those old Used car reliability ratings charts in books by Consumer Reports.

Rows and rows of black dots over the years for many brands and models of cars and trucks, for areas of least reliability etc.

This was before cars became iPads on wheels.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Marylander1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 pm I once knew a guy who sold his old Datsun and bought a new Yugo. He cursed that it was in the shop, again. I mentioned something about considering a more reliable car.

Marylander1
They used to say that the rear windshield defroster was the only part built to last on a Yugo. So your hands would stay warm while pushing it.