keep Pentagon Federal Credit Union account

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nyc10036

keep Pentagon Federal Credit Union account

Post by Nyc10036 »

Is there any reason reason to keep my PenFed account?
I got it several years ago when they were paying very good interest rates on CDs.
That hasn't been the case in quite a while.
stan1

Re: keep Pentagon Federal Credit Union account

Post by stan1 »

I closed mine (and my mom's as well who used their CDs more than I did).
Can always open it again.
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

stan1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 am I closed mine (and my mom's as well who used their CDs more than I did).
Thanks.
I hadn't realize that they opened up membership to everyone.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:15 am
stan1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 am I closed mine (and my mom's as well who used their CDs more than I did).
Thanks.
Yes it is open membership now, but even before you could make a very small donation to a military related charity and become eligible to join.
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

stan1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:23 am
Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:15 am
Thanks.
Yes it is open membership now, but even before you could make a very small donation to a military related charity and become eligible to join.
That is what I did to join.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Leaving $5 in the basic account will retain your membership.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Mike Scott wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:08 pm Leaving $5 in the basic account will retain your membership.
I keep mine just in case they bring back good CD rates, it's a pain in the booty (plus a credit check, unfreeze/refreeze credit, etc.) to reopen, while it only costs me the float on $5 to keep it open
meebers

Post by meebers »

I also enjoyed the PFCU while the CD rates were among the best. But, I always seem to have a hassle when funding/withdrawing $$ and transfer fee's etc. Unlike the NFCU, which seems to me, to go out of their way to help you do what you want. I closed the PFCU not in anger but, found something more to my liking.
z91

Post by z91 »

I leave it open but disconnect all bank accounts just in case. It's easy to add account links back on, but a PITA to open the account again.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Mike Scott wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:08 pm Leaving $5 in the basic account will retain your membership.
But after awhile they may charge you fee for inactivity.
bmr12

Post by bmr12 »

Blue456 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 pm But after awhile they may charge you fee for inactivity.
My father opened an account for me ~40 years ago. I’m up to $50 in my account. They haven’t ever charged fees. Used them for a mortgage and a forex-free credit card back when that was harder to find.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

meebers wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:37 pm I also enjoyed the PFCU while the CD rates were among the best. But, I always seem to have a hassle when funding/withdrawing $$ and transfer fee's etc. Unlike the NFCU, which seems to me, to go out of their way to help you do what you want. I closed the PFCU not in anger but, found something more to my liking.
I agree with your positive comments about NFCU - it’s our primary “bank”, not just a place to buy CDs. But I still keep a token amount in PenFed just in case the good ol’ days return.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 am Is there any reason reason to keep my PenFed account?
I got it several years ago when they were paying very good interest rates on CDs.
That hasn't been the case in quite a while.
Ahem..... Did you check PenFed's new interest rates on CDs before you posted? The rates just changed for the better this weekend. And they are better than NFCU at the moment. Never burn bridges....

https://www.penfed.org/accounts/money-m ... ertificate
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Current PenFed certificate rates:

3 Year Term 0.85 % APY*
5 Year Term 1.10 % APY

Still not exciting enough for me to withdrawal from my 1% APY Checking account and put into a PenFed certificate, but a slight improvement.

I use my PenFed Cash Rewards credit card for 5% cash back on gas. The card previously had 2% on supermarkets, and 1.25% on general spending, plus some other nice perks like free cell phone insurance if you paid your bill with it. That was in the days when a good cash back card earned 1% total. In recent years, all cashback was systematically lowered to zero, except the gas has remained. The card is no longer available.

I would keep the membership. Keep $5-25 in your share account and close everything else out to avoid fees. PenFed can be clunky but occasionally has great refi rates and certificates. They bought a failed credit union in New York a few years ago for the purpose of the open charter. Everybody (US persons) is eligible.
meebers

Post by meebers »

Blue456 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 pm
Recently got a letter from my "other" credit union, (member for 15 yrs), concerning inactivity. They would mark my accounts (share and MM) as inactive. The checking account was ok. The manager switched $1 from one account to another and vise versa. He said this should be repeated every 6 months. :greedy
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

meebers wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 pm
Blue456 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:17 pm
Recently got a letter from my "other" credit union, (member for 15 yrs), concerning inactivity. They would mark my accounts (share and MM) as inactive. The checking account was ok. The manager switched $1 from one account to another and vise versa. He said this should be repeated every 6 months. :greedy
Had this happen with a federal credit union associated with another military installation. I had kept the account open, but hadn't been very active for 15 years, always thinking it could potentially end up being useful at some point. But revisiting this, I couldn't envision ever needing them for anything. I closed the account.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

their 'bonus' on-line saving account or whatever they are calling it actually has decent (FOR THESE DAYS) interest rate -- .4% or whatever.

not the worst place to stash cash -- its competitive anyway.

ETA: just checked its .45%. Premium Online Savings

-----------------------------------------------
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

mr_brightside wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:53 am their 'bonus' on-line saving account or whatever they are calling it actually has decent (FOR THESE DAYS) interest rate -- .4% or whatever.

not the worst place to stash cash -- its competitive anyway.

ETA: just checked its .45%. Premium Online Savings
Yep, that's where I keep my near-term savings.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

And from time to time they have attractive offers on new vehicles, usually Audi, BMW, and Volvo.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

criticalmass wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:26 pm They bought a failed credit union in New York a few years ago for the purpose of the open charter. Everybody (US persons) is eligible.
They bought McGraw-Hill Credit Union.

I decided to close the account.
I initiated transfer of the monies in the Online Savings to my linked account.
Then I will call and formally close it by having them mail the $5 in the core account.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Nyc10036 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:58 am
criticalmass wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:26 pm They bought a failed credit union in New York a few years ago for the purpose of the open charter. Everybody (US persons) is eligible.
They bought McGraw-Hill Credit Union.

I decided to close the account.
I initiated transfer of the monies in the Online Savings to my linked account.
Then I will call and formally close it by having them mail the $5 in the core account.
sounds like a plan.