Panamera or Taycan?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Panamera or Taycan?

Post by thomasbayarea »

Long time Porsche 911 owner here. Kids don't fit in the back any more. Thinking...

Gen 2 2017-2018 Panamera base, S or 4S... V6TT, about $75k

Or

New 2021 Taycan base, $100k - $7.5k federal rebate.

Not interested in Cayennes or Macans - we have other SUVs.

I will purchase this car (not lease it) and will likely keep it for a long time. Current 911 is 16 years old.

What would you pick?
lazydavid

Re: Panamera or Taycan?

Post by lazydavid »

I've never been a fan of the Panamera--though it did get less ungainly-looking in the 2nd generation--so the Taycan would be an easy choice for me. Though mine would be a CrossTurismo. :)
azanon

Post by azanon »

Panamera by a long shot. See Linus Tech tips review on Taycan on why I wouldn't touch it.
gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum »

Taycan! I wish it had longer range though.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I'd pick a Plaid. What a car!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I would go with the Panamera.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Taycan w/ extended battery pack. The Panamera is one of the most unfortunate looking things to have rolled out of Stuttgart.
worthit

Post by worthit »

Taycan for the looks and performance.
FlatSix

Post by FlatSix »

Panamera is going to be discontinued in the near future, support for the model may be not too far behind. Parts may become scarce over the years.

The Taycan kinks seem to be ironed out pretty well by now. If the range isn’t a problem, I would go there.

I do think it’s a bit humorous that you’re a long time 911 owner, so presumably belong to some enthusiast communities and forums but you come to bogleheads for help picking your next car?
msi200

Post by msi200 »

IMO the Taycan is not comfortable for the passengers in the back seats.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

hunoraut wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:22 am Taycan w/ extended battery pack. The Panamera is one of the most unfortunate looking things to have rolled out of Stuttgart.
More unfortunate than the original R-Class? :happy

I agree with most the second-gen Panamera is much better-looking than the original.
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:34 am Panamera is going to be discontinued in the near future, support for the model may be not too far behind. Parts may become scarce over the years.

The Taycan kinks seem to be ironed out pretty well by now. If the range isn’t a problem, I would go there.

I do think it’s a bit humorous that you’re a long time 911 owner, so presumably belong to some enthusiast communities and forums but you come to bogleheads for help picking your next car?
Hah, yes I've been on Rennlist and other Porsche forums but people are too strongly opinionated there. For "sane" advice, Bogleheads all the way!

It does look like Taycan sales have mostly replaced Panamera sales. And the Pana might be killed off soon. The second gen is handsome I think but does not have the punch of the Taycan. The Pana is also considerably more roomy than a Taycan. Taycan seems the future-proof choice with the world going electric. But the Pana might be the last of the Porsche GT saloons with a big ICE engine. Finally, the Pana would be used, so I'd have to limit myself to what's available on dealer lots. The Taycan can be ordered to my spec - it will probably take forever with the shortages - but I'm in no hurry.

I know one thing for sure - I'm going to be selling off a couple of my cars this year. Used car prices are insane.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Just one data point, but a friend's Taycan died on the road this week. I think he has about 10k miles on it.

Dealer said it might be 3+ months until he gets it back, or they decide to give him a new one.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

All valid points, keep em coming.

I feel for long durations of ownership, the Taycan might be significantly cheaper to operate and maintain. No costly gas and no oil changes. I know very well the costs of keeping a Porsche running :oops:
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Panamera.

But get one of the new "sport" models. The hatchback style looks cool!
JustDumb

Post by JustDumb »

So.... what did you decide?
VinoVita

Post by VinoVita »

No past history with the Taycan. Just sold my 2015 Panamera 4s in which I owned for almost 2 years…couldn’t pass up the $7200 profit in the used car market. The Pano base and S are very firm rides, the 4s with air adaptive suspension and twin turbo V6 is a dream! It is a beautiful car inside and out, that does not want for power.

Already missing it! Good luck!