Travel to Europe

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Naismith

Travel to Europe

Post by Naismith »

We are in North Macedonia visiting family, and I thought I would share a few insights about our travel experience.

In past trips to Europe, it was so easy to not worry about borders within the Schengen Zone. There were times that we only knew we had crossed a border when we got the perky little text from Tmobile welcoming us to the new country.

Covid has changed that. Although the EU voted a recommended approach, each country can do as they want and different places have different policies regarding vaccination, quarantine, etc. This means border control for each country. We had planned a 2-hour layover in Frankfurt knowing we would do passport control there. But we were surprised when we also had to stop in Vienna and show our passport and vaccine card, although it went quickly and we made all our flights.

North Macedonia was recently downgraded to a CDC Level 4 - Do Not Travel. But I feel safer here than in Florida. Vaccine cards and masks are required to enter any place where people gather, from the grocery store to outdoor restaurants. No indoor restaurant seating allowed right now, and like Greece they have a long tradition of outdoor seating. They accept a phone capture of our vaccine card, so we are leaving the original and our passport back at our lodging.

We were in a rural area a few days ago and even the restaurant there asked to see the Covid card.

North Macedonia is a delightful place. Matka Canyon is stunning, the food is incredible. We hope to visit northern Greece as well if the border stays open.
chickadee

Re: Travel to Europe

Post by chickadee »

Thank you for the report!
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Good to know that others feel secure traveling to Europe right now.

A month from now I will be in France. I applied for my Pass Sanitaire last week and am still waiting to get the QR code that I can display to get into museums and cafes. I will be on my own for the first five days and then on an organized program for the rest of the time. The travel company is requiring proof of vaccine to join the program but has not sent out any information about getting a Pass Sanitaire -- even though several of the meals are "on your own." From what I have been reading, many restaurants and cafes will not accept the CDC card. It's QR code or nothing.

Biggest concern is getting tests and staying healthy -- as I frequently get a cold or a sore throat when I am visiting France.
bagle

Post by bagle »

The EU stumbled badly earlier this year in vaccination procurement. Their main supplier, Astra-Zeneca, said it would be able deliver only around 40% of dosis contracted. The US started out with a big lead.

The situation has completely reversed itself today. 74% of EU residents are fully vaccinated, while the US has stalled at 54%.

We were recently in Spain. They don’t require a vaccination certificate to enter restaurants or museums, but do require masking up indoors (unless you’re eating, of course). Compliance was 100%. Weather has been mild, so it was possible to eat and drink in open spaces. Food was amazing. If push comes to shove, hospital ICU occupation is below 20% (won’t compare that to your home state).
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

GerryL wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:38 pm Good to know that others feel secure traveling to Europe right now.

A month from now I will be in France. I applied for my Pass Sanitaire last week and am still waiting to get the QR code that I can display to get into museums and cafes. I will be on my own for the first five days and then on an organized program for the rest of the time. The travel company is requiring proof of vaccine to join the program but has not sent out any information about getting a Pass Sanitaire -- even though several of the meals are "on your own." From what I have been reading, many restaurants and cafes will not accept the CDC card. It's QR code or nothing.

Biggest concern is getting tests and staying healthy -- as I frequently get a cold or a sore throat when I am visiting France.
Is France not accepting CDC white cards? I know Italy accepts them as equivalent to their green pass.
Edit: I missed the part of your post that explained.
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

Naismith wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:37 am
Although the EU voted a recommended approach, each country can do as they want and different places have different policies regarding vaccination, quarantine, etc. This means border control for each country.
FWIW, here's a link to info if planning to travel to Europe: https://reopen.europa.eu/en

My wife and have a deposit on a "boat and bike" trip in Provence, France (booked in in late 2019 for travel in May 2020). We hope to take the trip in May 2022.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

theplayer11 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:10 pm
GerryL wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:38 pm Good to know that others feel secure traveling to Europe right now.

Is France not accepting CDC white cards? I know Italy accepts them as equivalent to their green pass.
Edit: I missed the part of your post that explained.
While officially the CDC card is accepted in Italy and it’s very likely to be accepted at any given business in the most touristed areas, I’ve heard many anecdotal accounts of it being rejected in less-talented areas.
Topic Author
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Just wanted to add that European travel is an ever-changing kaleidoscope.

We intended to travel into Northern Greece and worked with the car rental company (Sixt) to ensure that we had all the paperwork to do so. But just as North Macedonia had surprised us, so did Greece.

Sep.22 - filled out the Greek PLF (reqired locator form that must be filled out prior to midnight the day before entering).
Sep. 25 - Greece announced a change in policy for USAmericans, effective Oct. 1. Not sure of all the details; I think vaccinated people also need a negative test.
Sep. 27 - We crossed into Greece. No problems with the car, but they performed a quick Covid test on both of us, no cost to us. I kinda expected that would be the case, due to the intention to be more strict with USA citizens, but never fun.

Our itinerary in Northern Greece has been rather Covid-friendly, mostly outside stuff.

Archaeological site at Pella and only an hour in the museum, where everyone was required to be vaccinated and masked. Ditto for the Royal Tomb at Vergina. Hiking Mt. Olympus and hiking up to the monasteries of Meteora, which were only inside for an hour at most, masks required. Today we hiked in the Vikos Gorge.

I only hope we can return to North Macedonia next week for our flight home.
frequentT

Post by frequentT »

Just returned from Sardinia and Corsica. We had a blast. We were welcomed and appreciated for making the effort to travel.

Yes, the rules change constantly. The way they are written in English is very hard to interpret.

Locals followed the regulations on mask wearing and we felt safe everywhere.

We went on American Airlines who have a "Verifly" app where you can upload your documents which makes check-in very easy.

Enjoy the journey----Its worth the extra trouble!