Broom storage for garage ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chickadee

Broom storage for garage ?

Post by chickadee »

Does anyone have a broom storage solution to recommend for hanging on the wall? I need to hang about 4 brooms/swiffers in about a 2 foot area. The reviews online have 5 stars and 1 stars for every product and I’ve got analysis paralysis. Thought maybe some Boglehead garage head would have a favorite solution.
riverant

Re: Broom storage for garage ?

Post by riverant »

Literally anything could work. 1 star ratings are usually put up by people who couldn’t figure out installation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9PN4VL/?t ... TF8&psc=1
Vsabre

Post by Vsabre »

I use Rubbermaid FastTrack in my entire garage and don't have a single item touching the floor. A lot of great options to customize based on what you're hanging. Your application should be fairly simple.
Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life »

Brooms and Swiffers have holes in the handles to hang from a nail or screw in the wall. Alternate the height of nails to accommodate the total space constraints of 4 brooms in 2 feet, or use longer screws that can hold multiple brooms.
Retired Bill

Post by Retired Bill »

I just nail a 2x4 at the desired height and make sure to secure it to the studs. Then use large finish nails for the "hangers" Drill holes thru the handles if the tools and/or brooms don't have them already. Cheap and effective. Paint the 2x4 to match the walls if you so desire.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Retired Bill wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm I just nail a 2x4 at the desired height and make sure to secure it to the studs. Then use large finish nails for the "hangers" Drill holes thru the handles if the tools and/or brooms don't have them already. Cheap and effective. Paint the 2x4 to match the walls if you so desire.
+1, this. A $10 job. Almost free if you can find some scrap 2x4s.
mkc

Post by mkc »

I think the one we have is Oxo. It looks like this one. I would purchase it again.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/oxo-ex ... d=11014389
1andDone

Post by 1andDone »

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Vsabre wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:32 pm I use Rubbermaid FastTrack in my entire garage and don't have a single item touching the floor. A lot of great options to customize based on what you're hanging. Your application should be fairly simple.
I also use Rubbermaid FastTrack for organizing much of my garage. For brooms specifically I use these....
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-17844 ... g-20&psc=1
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Pegboard.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:36 pm
Vsabre wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:32 pm I use Rubbermaid FastTrack in my entire garage and don't have a single item touching the floor. A lot of great options to customize based on what you're hanging. Your application should be fairly simple.
I also use Rubbermaid FastTrack for organizing much of my garage. For brooms specifically I use these....
+1 FastTrack hangers are long, i.e. stick out from the wall 8” or so, you can store 3 pushbrooms/standard brooms on top of each other on one hanger saving a lot of wall space.
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Fat Tails wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:53 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:36 pm
+1 FastTrack hangers are long, i.e. stick out from the wall 8” or so, you can store 3 pushbrooms/standard brooms on top of each other on one hanger saving a lot of wall space.
The link I posted is to the type of hanger that hangs the brooms by the handle. But if you look at the full line of hangers you'll find many options including those that allow you to 'stack' the brooms.

I hang a variety of tools and other items using FastTrack hangers including brooms, shovels, rakes, lawn blowers/vacs, trimmers, ladders, bike carrier, etc. They are very versatile especially if you use your imagination. They aren't cheap, but when I move I just take them all with me and use them in the next garage and/or shed.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Topic Author
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

Well, the FastTrack system looks great, definite squad goals.

I bought the Oxo solution and will see if that does the trick for now. Thanks all!
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

I see the OP already bought the OXO, but a late extra vote for Rubbermaid FastTrack. I have several of them up and when we periodically reorganize things, we just shuffle the hooks around between the strips.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:19 pm
Retired Bill wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm I just nail a 2x4 at the desired height and make sure to secure it to the studs. Then use large finish nails for the "hangers" Drill holes thru the handles if the tools and/or brooms don't have them already. Cheap and effective. Paint the 2x4 to match the walls if you so desire.
+1, this. A $10 job. Almost free if you can find some scrap 2x4s.
I went the "big bucks" route. Had a scrap 10'x1"x3". Drilled centered 1/2" holes (3" apart, drill press jig for slight upward angle). Cut/installed 1/2"x4" hardwood dowels (friction fit). Screwed (deck screws) assembly to wall studs.

Was trying to replicate something like this:

As found here: https://picclick.com/5-Peg-Wall-Mount-W ... 72603.html
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
RCL

Post by RCL »

I use an appropriate size PVC pipe coupler, drill a hole all the way through it for a mounting screw, then screw into into a stud. Easy Peasy.